Memory Part 1

Forbidden Feeling

 

No harmony sounds was heard in her ears. All she hears were the sounds of pollution from all direction. She sat on the balcony with her telescope, finding something that could attract her attention but helpless. The surrounding was too boring. Plus, nothing interesting can be found in the internet. She took her mp3 player and lay down on the bed. As she was about to fall asleep, someone took away her mp3 player.

“Omma, I was listening to that” Eunmi rolled her eyes.

“Eunmi, you need to do something else. You cannot stay in the room for the whole day” Mrs Han put the mp3 player on the side table.

“Can we go back to Australia? It’s been three years I didn’t meet grandma” She buried her face with her both hands.

“I know, dear. I’ll asked your dad when gets back okay?” Eunmi looked at her mom and sighed.

“Starting from now, you have to learn to socialise more in our neighbourhood. You’re going to throw away all your Justin Fever or whoever it is posters” She looked around the room.

“It’s Justin Bieber. And I don’t even like that guy. Eeuww”.

“Good. Your dad and I are going to the supermarket. Do you need anything?” Mrs Han stood up.

“No. I want to take fresh air for a while”

“Good” She kissed Eunmi’s forehead and left the room.

“Justin Fever? Hmpf!” Eunmi laugh. She changed her clothes and left the house.

Eunmi walked along the street and headed to a hill behind a high school. She climbed and managed to stand on the highest spot. From there, she could see the clear view. She can even see the apartment she live in and the school she go everyday. She sat under a big tree let out a heavy sigh. Her mind brought her to the past..

 

“Junhyung” Eunmi approached him under a tree they used to meet everyday.

“Come, help me with this” Eunmi put her bag aside and laughed at him.

“What so funny?”

“You must be dozed off at class again, right?” she laughed again.

“Oh, come on. Just teach me”

“Sure. But first, is my hair look okay?” Eunmi combed her hair with her fingers.

“I love you” Junhyung replied playfully and smiled.

“I’m serious. Is it bad?”

He wrote ‘I love you’ on the page that he should solve. Eunmi nudged him and erase it. She showed him the way to solve with a pencil.

“It’s only a sketch. Write it yourself by pen”

She took her book from the bag and started to do her work. Junhyung do like what he was asked and continue with other work.

~

“Sunhwa, should I tell him about my feeling?” Eunmi whispered after some quiet time.

“Yes or you would stay like this forever” Sunhwa wrote something in her book.

“But what if he doesn’t feel the same way?” Eunmi buried her face with her hands.

“At least you tell him. It’s okay if he doesn’t feel the same. We don’t know his feeling inside, right? Maybe after you tell him, he might actually want you to be his girlfriend. Who knows?” Jieun in.

After school, Eunmi went to the field alone. She saw Junhyung was lying alone at the middle of the field. She took a deep breath and walked towards him. “Hye, Junhyung” Eunmi smiled.

“Oh, Eunmi-ah. What are you doing here?” he stood up.

“Nothing. It’s cloudy today. It’s going to rain. Aren’t you going home?” Eunmi looked at the sky.

“I want to play in the rain. Can I? Actually, my friends gonna pick me up here” Junhyung smiled.

“Junhyung, actually--”

“Hey, you! Are you crying?” someone called when Eunmi was wiping her tears. Eunmi looked around but there’s no one.

“Up here” Eunmi looked above her and saw a tree house with a guy waving at her. Eunmi stood up and force herself to smile. He climbed down using a ladder and jumped in front of her.

“Why are you crying?” the guy handed out a handkerchief and wipe her tears.

“Anniyo. I’m okay” Eunmi looked away.

“If you climbed up all way up here and cry, you are not okay. Just tell me. I’m a friendly person. I’m Doojoon” he smiled.

“I’m Eunmi. There’s nothing to tell. I just need my time alone” Eunmi sat under the tree and looked at the view.

“Let me guess, you lost someone you care right?” he sat next to her and leaned back at the tree.

“I don’t really lose him, we’re just don’t meant to be”

“Aaahh...so it’s a guy. You know what, I lost someone I love too. She left me alone here and go to the heaven on her own. Everyday I pray so I could get her back no matter what eventhough I know I wouldn’t have that chance” Doojoon hid his true feeling.

“She....died?” Eunmi faced him.

“She’s not dead. She’s just far away from me. She was my first love and she will always be” Doojoon clenched his fist but a smile was carved on his lips.

“I’m sorry” Eunmi looked at him carefully.

“It’s okay. Where do you live, Eunmi?” he asked.

“I live at that apartment” Eunmi pointed to the tallest building among the housing area.

“I should get home right now. Aren’t you going home too?” Eunmi stood up get rid of sands on her cloth.

 “Yes but later. See you later then” Doojoon smiled.

 “Doojoon-ssi, how can I get down from here?” Eunmi stopped and turned around.

 “You can get yourself up here, why you can’t get yourself down? Let me guess, you’re afraid of height?” Eunmi nodded.

“Fine. Wait here” Doojoon climbed up the tree house and took his bag with him when he climbed down.

“I’ll walk in front and you follow me at the back. Arasso?” Eunmi nodded and followed his footsteps. Suddenly her foot was misplaced and almost slipped. She grabbed the grasses around her and breathe heavily.

“Are you okay?” Doojoon asked.

 “No! I’m totally not okay! Help me!” Eunmi tightened her grip on the grass and tried to step on a hard rock.

“I’ll carry you. Give me you hand” Eunmi shook her head.

 “Come on, trust me” she held Doojoon’s hand tight and carefully stepped her feet on the rocks. As they finally got down, Eunmi curled herself on the ground and buried her face in her arms.

“Eunmi-ah, the hill is not that high. You’re being a child” Doojoon smirked and squatted down in front of her.

“Kaja. I’ll send you home” Doojoon took her hand and helped her get up.

“I’m not a child” Eunmi glared.

“I know” Doojoon smiled and walked in front.

“Doojoon-ssi” Eunmi walked slowly as he turned around.

“What?”. “My house is that way” Eunmi pointed to another way.

“Let’s just go this way. We’ll be at you apartment faster” Doojoon ignored and continued walking. Eunmi rolled her eyes and followed him. They walked for an hour and at last, they arrived at Eunmi’s apartment.

“Thank you for such a short journey” Eunmi left him and went inside the building.

~*~

‘The number you have dialled is not in service’

“Junhyung, where are you?” Eunmi pressed his number again.

‘Hi, Junhyung’s here. Leave your message after the sound’

 

Basically, almost everyday, Eunmi will sit in front of her laptop, chatting with her friends nonstop. She knows she have exams to get through. But interests have it all. At school, she didn’t have many friends to talk with. She only hangs out with her best friends. During the art class, Eunmi was late so she rushed as fast as she can through the hallway. Suddenly she ran into a person and they both fell. Eunmi’s artwork sheets were everywhere.

“Watch where you’re going next time”.

As Eunmi raised her head, she saw a girl was gathering her artworks for her.