Past 03

The One That Got Away [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejin POV

 

17 years old

 

I awoke to cold sweat and a thundering heart. Struggling to breathe like a fish from underwater, I pushed the blankets off me. I quickly sat up in my bed, recalling the horrifying images.

 

Though it was all that clear anymore, I could still remember the appearance of Junmyeon laying lifelessly on the ground, with blood pooled all around him. My family members were too limp, sprawled across the ground. I shuddered, the gruesome dream affecting me to no end.

 

My hands shakily reached for my phone on the bedside cabinet and with trembling fingers, clicked on Junmyeon's name in my contact list. I knew it was merely a dream, but I couldn't shake the feeling of restlessness off just like that. I had to know if he was alright.

 

He didn't pick up after a few tries and I was almost mad with anxiety. Fear crept up on me, and all the sleepiness I had before washed away. I threw my phone onto my bed when I realised that he wasn't going to pick up. The clock that read 2:03am didn't do much to soothe me.

 

Suddenly, my phone blared a familiar ringtone loudly, making me jump. My fingers quivered as they swiped the screen to answer, and it took a few tries to actually get me to swipe correctly.

 

“H-hello? Junmyeon-ah?”

 

“Mmm,” he muttered groggily, voice still husky from sleep. “What's the matter? Are you okay?”

 

“Are you okay?” I couldn't help but retort back, voice still shaky.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

I sighed in relief. At the same time, I also felt a bit sorry for waking him up like that. However, my voice accidentally cracked due to the lasting fear. “Nothing. Sorry for waking you up.”

 

“Hey,” there was a sound of rustling, probably him sitting up in bed. “What's wrong? It must've been something big if you had to call me at... 2 am.”

 

I closed my eyes, feeling a tad embarassed. “I just... had a bad dream.”

 

Luckily, he didn't laugh. “A nightmare? What was it about?”

 

“Everyone I loved was murdered and they were all lying in pools in their own blood,” I murmured, heart already accelerating again. “It was so realistic! It was so scary, I was so scared ,Junmyeon.”

 

“Oh, baby,” he hummed soothingly. “I'm alright, your family's alright. It was just a dream. Though I'm a bit flattered that you checked up on me first before your family.”

 

I scoffed. “Well... whatever! Don't make me regret calling you first!”

 

He chuckled. “It's funny when you don't have a response.”

 

“Yah! Junmyeon!” I whined.

 

“Not to kill the mood or anything,” he answered teasingly. “But I told you so, didn't I? You only got this nightmare because of the horror movie we watched earlier.”

 

My mind darted back to the absolutely terrifying movie from this evening. There had been a lot of good reviews for the particular movie, and despite Junmyeon's warnings, I begged him to watch it with me. I ended up regretting it when I was scared out of my skull every few minutes due to the jump scares and tension-filled scenes. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen no matter how scary it was, resulting in me watching every single frame.

 

“It was good!” I protested, not really meaning my words. “The plot was nice, even though it was frightening.”

 

“Yeah,” he snickered. “Keep telling yourself that.”

 

I scoffed. “Please, Junmyeon. You loved it.”

 

“Well, you were clinging me like some type of koala so I guess it wasn't that boring,” he retorted smartly. “Seriously, you were like glued to my side and you kept stalling me from leaving.”

 

I felt my face heat up at his words. I was at a loss for words as he was, in fact, true. I tried to splutter out a response but he saw right through me. “Pfft... What do you mean stalling? Huh?”

 

“Hyejin-ah, you were literally finding all sorts of excuses to make me stay longer and you kept getting scared at everything! Remember the chair incident?”

 

“Yah! You did on purpose, didn't you?”

 

“All I did was drag my c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter