Where Are You? I've Been Waiting All The Time

Irreplaceable

Chapter 4

[12 years old]

Ara’s POV

As usual, I walked home by myself. Somehow I missed my mom when I go home. But, I was the one who wanted to go home by myself. I saw my friends also went home. Some of them are using a car, some of them are also were waiting for their bus to come, most of them went home by walking, including me.

“Araaaaaaaaaaaa!”, my seatmate ran to me while shouting my name. “Yah! You don’t need to shout, it was just like 10 meters. Hahahaha”, I said followed by me and my seatmate’s laughter. We continued to walk. She is my closest friend since I was 6 years old. Even though I was a little bit cold when the first time I went to class, but she was the one who made me became this socialable.

“Ara-ah! Let’s go to my house and play!”, my seatmate asked me while she was clinging on my right hand. “Aniya, I want to go the playground”, I said to her as I smiled calmly. “You’re still waiting for him?”, she asked. “Of course! We made a promise after all”, I said trying to made myself looked cheerful. “Ara-ah……..it’s been 5 years”, she said with her sad tone. I know she wants me to be happy, but I will not forget the promise that I and Doyoung has made. “I know Seulbi-ah”, I said as I smiled at her, trying to hide my sadness.

“Ara-ah, my house it’s already near from here, see you tomorrow!”, she yelled softly as she ran. She waved at me once again, I waved back at her. I was carrying my feet to the playground. The same, usual, old playground. Even though the results might be the same as usual, but I prayed to God to give me a miracle. Even though I don’t know exactly when. But I believe it will come to me.

I arrived at the playground. I was sitting at the bench, as usual waiting for a miracle to come. Even though I am not too old to play with the slides, swings and all the games in this playground. But, it feels different when he is not around. It feels like this playground is empty and lonely. Even though every evening there will be many children playing. I did not see Sua and Jaewon anymore, they had moved to Busan last year. Their parents tend to move to cities, their dad’s job is the reason why.

I sat on the bench that is empty. It feels good watching the kids playing with their friends. It feels like they are trying to make me happy. But every time they did, he always appeared on my mind. It hurts, but at the same time it’s good. By waiting for him at the playground every day, I still remember all memories that we have shared. I still remember our first meeting. I still remember his face. I still remember his birthday. And of course our promise.

 

 

It’s been an hour already since I waited at the bench. It is time for me to go home already. Better to not make Eomma worry. I took a quick glanced to the playground. I wish that day would come. I said quietly as my hair were blown by the wind. I will not give up. Even though it takes time, really long time. I will hold onto our promise. And I promise.

 

[12 Years Old]

Doyoung’s POV

I sat quietly on my chair, in my room. As usual, I wrote a letter for her every year. But I didn’t have a courage to send it to her address. She might be mad at me now, for leaving her alone without saying anything. Such a coward I am. I don’t even dare to tell her that I was going to move to Seoul. Pabo! . I even broke my promise with fever as the reason, to make her used to it. It’s been 5 years already. I am not sure if she wants to see my face again. Maybe now I’m the person who she hates the most. I did not even give her any clue, that I was going to move. If it wasn’t for my parents, maybe I will stay there longer. Unfortunately, I can’t.

I sighed. Trying to get myself together. I prayed to God to make fate and time do what I want. I want to meet her again, and tell her everything. I wish I could give my explanation to her. Even though she will hate me and never wanted to talk to me anymore. Or even see my face. I just want to release this weight on my shoulder. That I’ve been holding for 5 years. There are already 4 letters that I haven’t send yet. And now, I’m going to make this year’s letter, for her.

 

Dear My Best Friend that I ever had, Yoon Ara.

 

Ara-ah, Mianhae. For leaving you without any clue. I didn’t even spend my time to say a single good bye for you.

And I broke my promise to accompany you every evening.

I wish we could meet again, someday.

And I wish you still remember my face.

I will not forget you cause you’re my life savior.

I still remember when we first met.

Maybe I can’t even write this letter if you did not come to me at that time.

I know that you tried your best to be brave.

And I appreciate it!

I hope you’re fine there in Daegu.

And I hope you don’t hate me.

Cause I still consider you as my best best best best best friend!

Ara-ah

Sorry, once again..

I’ll explain everything when we meet later!

I hope you would forgive me.

I missed you so much!

 

From: Kim Doyoung

 

I’s already 9 pm. I should sleep before Eomma goes to my room and found out I haven’t sleep yet. I tidied up my desk and books. I put this year’s letter for Ara on a box. I also put the other 4 letters there. The box has her favorite color, purple, with a soft white ribbon on top of it.

I laid on my bed, and prayed to God once again, that I could meet her. I pulled the blankets all over my body. I tried to close my eyes, and that’s when I smiled. She appeared once again on my mind. And I hope she will also appeared later on my dream. Even just for a second.

 

 

A true love can’t ever be separated.

A true love doesn’t always means boyfriend and girlfriend,

Or husband and wife.

A true love could be brother and sister,

And of course friends.

 

They could be far from each other’s eyes.

But their heart are one.

They could meet without each other knowing it’s them.

 

Who knows?

If suddenly you are denser than a concrete.

But actually you’re deeper than the ocean.

 

Sometimes life isn’t fair.

But life is wise.

We all are learning from our environment.

Same as them.