First Day

Irreplaceable

Chapter 2

[6 years old]

Ara’s POV

*Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring*, the ‘go home’ bell rang. Many students were going out of their class. The boys were running while the girls were walking calmly with their friends, and some of them were talking about stuffs and things.

“See you tomorrow Ara-ah!”, my seatmate said as she waved at me, I waved back at her.

I saw my mom was standing at the front gate of my school. She smiled at me as soon as we made an eye contact. I jogged to her and held her hand.

“Eomma, can we go to the playground near the house again?”, I asked Eomma as I smiled softly. Hoping for a ‘Yes’.

“Of course you can, maybe you could find new friends again there”, Eomma answered as she smiled back at me. We were heading to the park. We were quiet but not awkwardly. We enjoy going home by walking, since the school isn’t really far from my house, and I’m already used to it.

As soon as we arrived at the playground I ran and placed my bag on the bench. Eomma was sitting at the bench, as usual talking with other mothers that also were supervising their kids playing at the playground.

After not a really long walk at the playground, I saw a familiar figure sitting on the swing, wearing a school uniform. As soon as I realized it’s him I tried to walk quietly and sneeked behind him. I tried to not make any noise and keep myself quiet.

“BOO!!”, I shouted as I hitted his shoulder. He was startled and he felt to the ground full of sand.

“Yah!! I didn’t know that you are this naughty!”, he yelled while trying to get up. He tried to get the sand off from his pants, while I was laughing at him. He seems annoyed with what I did. He patted and brushed his pants with his hands tried to get the dusts off of him.

“Oh I have a present for you!”, he said as he smiled brightly at me, he was trying to get something from his pocket. It was a cute little small box, with the size of his palm.

The color was red and a pink ribbon was on top of it.

“What is it? I didn’t told you that I want a payback from you”, I said to him while looking at the box.

“Well……………, I said it’s a ‘present’ not a ‘payback’”, he said as he grinned at me, giving the small present box to me. I accepted the box and take a look of it.

“AAA!”, I screamed as soon I opened the box that Doyoung gave to me. It was a spider toy that is made from silicon, now the box was on the ground because I threw it. The spider really looks real, and I thought it was a real spider.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA”, he laughed at me while I was trying to get myself together and tried to hide my embarassment. I hate spider since I was a little. I hate spider, a lot. “Yah! And I didn’t know that you are this sneaky!, I yelled at him as he still tried to get himself together. He really can’t stop laughing at me.

I was looking at him that is still laughing on the sandy ground. He was laughing really loud, and he won’t stop……………………….Aishh this boy…

“Yah!”, I yelled as I hitted him repeatedly not really hard. He ran away and I tried to chase him. He tried to avoid my hitting.

We ended up chasing each other as we were still laughing. We were running through the slides, ladder, tunnel, and all corners at the playground.

The not so cold and fresh wind made us not getting tired of playing here. We continued to ran along.

 

After a long chase & chase, Me and Doyoung decided to sit on the swings. He was on my left. We were sitting peacefully and trying to catch our breathes from running. It seems that all the children who were playing at the ground is interested with the slide. The swing was the only corner that is empty and peaceful.

 

“You’re scared of spider?”, he asked while giggling, trying to start a conversation.

“I am not scared of them, it’s just that I hate them”, I answered.

“But why? Spider is just a small innocent animal”, Doyoung asked again. “I don’t care if they are small, cute or innocent. But I just hate them”, I said with a disgust expression.

“If you don’t hate spider, then what do you hate?”, I asked him with my normal intonation.

“I hate lemons!”, he said loudly.

“Why? Lemons are healthy though. Even though they are super sour.”, I asked him. Well there are many people in this world who hate spiders, but lemons………………? I had no idea.

“Well………. I know they are healthy, but they are like burning my tongue whenever I ate them”, he answered with a disgust expression, I giggled at his expression.

Maybe he is allergic to lemons, or his tongue is sensitive. A lot of predictions and ideas are appearing on my mind.

“Well I agree, lemons are like the fruit that have the strongest taste.”, I said as I nod.

“When is your birthday?”, I asked as I flashed a bright smile at him. Well, at least I should know my close friends’ birthday, hehehe. “February 1!”, he answered with his cheerful tone. “When is your birthday?”, he asked back at me. “July 17!”, I answered back as I flashed a bright smile.

 

 

We were talking and playing until we did not realized it was already 5 pm. We spent our time by playing at the slides, swings, chasing each other and lastly talked about our lives. We shared stories, funny, sad, silly, happy and even embarrassing moments.

“Good bye Ara-ah! See you tomorrow!”, he said as he ran to his mother that fetch him. I waved back at him as I smiled. ‘Maybe his house is also not really far from here’, I thought. I jogged to my mom who was already waiting for me. She held my hand as we were walking towards home.

 

 

Author’s POV

They continued to meet every evening at the playground and got to know each other better. It’s been a year since they met. It’s been a year since they shared their birthday. It’s been a year that they found their true soulmate and best friend.

Ara was a life savior for Doyoung, and Doyoung was the best friend that Ara ever had. They always protect each other. And they made a promise that they will stay together, always, and maybe forever.

But somehow, time are going to separate them. For a while. Time did not have a right to separate them, but fate did. Who knows? If they will meet again. He was not a bad guy. But he have to do that. He was not the ruler of the family, he was just a child.

Of course they will not forget the memories that they had together. It was already too much for a friend. And, maybe it was already too much for a best friend too.

First love? Nah, they are just little kids. But who knows they will be together later? When they’re ready.

But………………………..

Will they still remember each other’s faces?

Will they still remember the memories?

Will they still remember their birthdays?

Will they still keep in touch every day?

Will they still love each other as a friend?

Or more than that?

 

 

And………..

 

Did

 

They

 

Choose

 

The

 

Right

 

Decision ??............