Fate

Fate [One~Shot]

                He wrapped his fingers around the doorknob and gently twisted it to the right side. The corridor was dark and empty.  That was the expected at this time, around three in the morning. Sunggyu ever so slowly opened the door, barefooted so the chances of making noises would be much lower. He walked past his parents’ room door, almost not even breathing. One slow step after another, he reached the stairs that led to the living room. Getting used to the darkness was a hard thing, but after several nights sneaking out from his bedroom to drink water or eat some fruit showed being useful enough.
                He walked down the last step, only then noticing he hadn’t been taking the necessary amount of oxygen to his lungs. He sighed a little heavier than expected, and instantly regretted it, afraid someone might had heard. After a moment, he resumed walking.
                Right across the living room, beside the portrait of his family – his mother’s favorite, he knew it well – was the door. It was unnoticeable; no one would ever know that there was a door if they haven’t seen it open. He stared at the picture for a while, then slipped his hand around the frame, from behind, his fingers looking for the familiar small button. His index finger pushed it and a piece of the wall, shaped in a rectangle, started fading away.
                Where there was only concrete, now revealed a little room, a shade of yellow light coming from its edges, floor and ceiling, and a single round button on one of the walls. He knew that room well due being there with his father since he was a little boy.
                Sunggyu slowly walked in and stopped in the middle of the room for a moment. He had never come this far; all the other times he would be caught even before he could come inside.
                He turned around, facing the outside of the room, the living room. The next move was risky, but not for a moment the thought of giving up crossed his mind. Below that room, there was the answer his heart was craving for. Heart that was beating fast by then. He reached his trembling hand to the button on the wall and pushed it without hesitation.
                Four glass walls started descending from the ceiling, forming a glass box, little smaller than the room itself. On the wall in front of him was a projection of another button. He tapped it and the wall from his living room faded in, making the room invisible again for those who were outside. The button was replaced with a numeric keyboard. He knew the combination; it was supposed to be used in extreme emergency. This is an emergency, his mind told him. He gulped before tapping the seven numbers of the combination. The keyboard faded away and the ground started moving down like it was an elevator.
                At the first seconds, all Sunggyu saw was pure dark, but after this, a very lightened up, no ending room was starting to come to his view.
                He saw billions of thousands of little yellow lights in the room, distributed in hundreds of shelves. Each one of the lights was a thin pentagonal prism, the height of a pencil, emanating its own light. They looked like crystals but were made of an unknown material for the human kind, as expected from something so divine.
                They were called Fates.
                The elevator stopped and the front wall ascended so he could step out of it. Sunggyu didn’t know where to look, his hands were shaking more than he thought they would at that time. He took some steps ahead and stopped in front of a column that came from the floor to the height of his waist. He knew what that was for, he remembered. A flash of the past came across his mind; his little self being held in his father’s arm while he pointed here and there with the other hand.

***

                “This is The Selector. It’s used to search for a Fate. Can you imagine how long I would take if I had to look one by one to fine someone’s Fate?” his manly laugh echoed through the shelves, then he turned to The Selector again and snapped his fingers. A Fate instantly started materializing right above the column, floating over it. He took it and showed the boy. “Do you know why this one’s light is white instead of yellow like the others?”  he asked and little Sunggyu just shook his head no. “Because you are going to follow my steps and become Destiny. You one day are going to be the manager of all these Fates and take care of people’s future, everyone in the world,” he said and the little boy reached his hand to touch the light.
                “And why can’t I see like you see when I touch it?” he asked.
                “Because,” the man started before taking the Fate from the boy’s hand and placing it back on The Selector, making is disappear just as it showed up, “you’re still not Destiny, you are my descendant. You can see, but you have to say ‘show me’ instead of just touching it.” he smiled.

***

                Sunggyu brought his hand up to the side of The Selector and snapped his fingers. The familiar white Fate appeared floating above the column. He took it in one hand and lifted to his face, with a small smile.

                What car he would own, what was going to be the size of his house, when he was going to die, the places he would visit, how rich he would be; all of that he could know and much more, but he was interested in only one thing, and it was about to be revealed to him.
                He took a deep breath and opened his mouth to say the words, but someone else’s voice; a low tone interrupted his action.
                “Sunggyu.”
                He instantly turned around, his eyes wide up and blood ran away from his face. His father had a small smile on his face, but worried eyes. He slowly walked up to him. Sunggyu lowered his look to the ground, the feeling of fail taking over his senses as his father gently took the Fate from his hand and placed back on The Selector. Sunggyu closed his eyes, expecting a long lecture about why he couldn’t do what he was about to do.
                “Thought we had already had this talk.” he paused for a moment. “Child, being the son of Destiny can bring you uncountable advantages; knowing the one who is going to take the special place in your heart in advance is not one of them.”
                The man rested his palm on the other’s back and started to lead them back inside the elevator.
                “Then… Can you see it and tell me?” Sunggyu asked. The man let out a small chuckle.
                “That would be the same.”
                Silence took its place while they entered the elevator and it started ascending back to the room up above.
                “I really like her,” Sunggyu suddenly said.
                “Your girlfriend?”
                “Yes…”
                “Then what are you so worried about?”
                “I want it to be her,” he finally said it aloud.
                This is what was consuming his heart and thoughts. He liked, no, he loved her too much to ever think she was not the one who he was going to spend the rest of his life with.
                “I see your point,” the man said as they came to a stop and the glass walls started to move up. “But have you ever wondered why ‘fate’ and ‘faith’ sound alike?” he smiled.
                Sunggyu looked up to the man and showed a soft smile as well.
                “Thanks, father,” he whispered and the man could only think to himself.
                She is going to make you very happy.

 

                Sunggyu was laying down on his bed. He had failed his mission to discover what he wanted, but this time his father told him something he had never said before. The man’s words lingered in the back of his mind while he starred at the ceiling of his bedroom. His cellphone’s screen lit up on the nightstand beside him. He took it and tapped lightly to a message.
                “I know you might be asleep now, but I wanted to tell you I had a beautiful dream. It was about us ^^
                He smiled and typed back. “Ah, really? And what happened in your dream?” he sent it and waited for the answer with a small smile on his face. Seconds later, the screen lit up again.
                “It was our future, and I was making you very happy.