"When Problems Arise"

INEVITABLE MEETING
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Eleven

"When Problems Arise"

 

Jonghyun's mind was spinning but it was still racing with about a hundred thoughts all the same. He felt the wind knocked out of him, as if someone had just delivered a severe blow to his chest, making him unable to breathe properly.

"What's going on here?"

Yoona whipped around and hastily wiped her tears with the back of her hand before running towards the door to Hyuna's room.

"Kyuhyun! Hyuna! How's Hyuna?" she asked immediately and almost hysterically.

With one last glance in Jonghyun's direction- who had now collapsed onto a chair with a distant expression on his face -he looked back down at Yoona with a reassuring smile.

"She's asleep right now. I'm sorry I couldn't come out here earlier, but we had to do some tests on her as soon as we got her vitals stable. We have to resume the testing when she wakes up. She was too exhausted tonight to complete it," he informed them both although unsure if Jonghyun was even listening.

Yoona still wasn't convinced. "But if you didn't finish the tests…" she trailed off.

"Don't worry," Kyuhyun assured her with a reassuring squeeze on the arm. "We immediately did the most necessary tests first to see how she was. Everything is fine so far. Still a little weak compared to her usual results from all those previous times, but nothing to worry about just yet. We'll complete it tomorrow to be sure."

Nodding weakly, Yoona let out a sigh albeit still looking worried and frightened to the core.

"Can I go in and see her?" she asked.

"There are still a few doctors and specialists in there. You can as soon as they clear the room," he said before putting his hands into the pockets of his white lab gown. "I just have to ask though, just what did happen tonight?"

Yoona glanced back at the still blank looking and silent Jonghyun before looking back at Kyuhyun with a pleading look. "We went out for dinner, went to the mall with the kids and left them in the playground there. Jonghyun and I g-got into a row, and when I left him to fetch the kids so we can leave, I-I found Hyuna had already collapsed. That's a-about it," she summarized.

Kyuhyun nodded before gesturing for Yoona to take a seat on one of the empty lined chairs beside where Jonghyun was sitting.

Taking the chair a seat away from Jonghyun, Yoona glanced once at him yet again before looking at Kyuhyun.

"I talked to the boys," he started, running a hand through his hair. "When I left with them to the waiting room with Eunhye earlier, I asked them what happened. Their version of tonight's events is quite different, or at least, it was more informative."

"What do you mean?" Yoona asked, getting confused.

"By what Jonghyuk and Jonghoon told me, it seems to me that you two were practically screaming each other's heads off," he said, brows furrowed and a very disapproving look on his face. "Did you even know how close you two were to the playground before you started fighting so loudly?"

"I-I don't understand," Yoona said. Even though he sat a little away from Jonghyun, she could feel him stiffen in his seat. She looked at him and noticed that he had gotten considerably paler.

With a regretful look at Jonghyun, knowing he had understood what he had meant, Kyuhyun turned to Yoona. "They, and I mean all three of them, heard you and Mr. Lee's conversation Yoona. All of it, or at least everything you shouted at each other. The boys told me you and Jonghyun were shouting at each other about them. They were really hesitant in telling me and some of it doesn't make sense by how they told me, but I can pretty much assume that you two were fighting over Mr. Lee's attitude towards Hyuna. About how much he favors the boys and how much he dislikes Hyuna," he finished, and by which Yoona was looking just as pale as Jonghyun had been. And Jonghyun on the other hand- if it were even possible –had gotten even paler than ever.

"They heard…they heard us?" Yoona asked meekly.

Kyuhyun nodded, frowning. "They did. And the boys were shouting for you Yoona just when Hyuna collapsed but they said you two were still yelling at each other and you must've not heard them," Yoona started sobbing as he said this. Yoona didn't hear them call for her at all! "Then they said a large crowd gathered over both of you and they lost sight of you two," he added, looking pointedly at Jonghyun whom he knew was the reason for the crowd of people forming in the first place.

Without a word, Jonghyun slouched forward and let his face fall onto his palms with his elbows resting on his knees for support.

Sighing yet again for the night, Kyuhyun leaned back to the opposite wall in silence, waiting for the two to collect themselves.

"I-It's our entire fault," Yoona whispered, crying harder than ever.

 

 

Reading the message she just received on her cell phone, Eunhye sighed in relief before pocketing it.

"Jonghyuk, Jonghoon," she called to the boys who were talking across the room by the vending machines.

They both turned, hearing their names and walked over towards their nanny as she waved them over.

"What is it Eunhye?"

"Your mother just sent me a text message," she said, patting the pocket of her sweater she was wearing, indicating her cell. "She said your sister is fine but she has to stay with Hyuna for awhile."

Jonghyuk and Jonghoon looked at each other and visibly sighed in relief at the announcement.

"Why don't you two rest now? I'll be sure to wake you up as soon as your mother says it's okay for you to go visit Hyuna," she assured as she handed them a pillow and a blanket each, provided by a nurse by Kyuhyun's instructions since they arrived. "Take those sofas, you'll be comfortable enough there," she said with a nod towards the large stuffed sofas at one side of the waiting area.

 

 

After a few more minutes of crying from Yoona and total silence from Jonghyun, the two finally stood up and walked over towards the door Hyuna was brought into, following Kyuhyun's lead.

They hadn't noticed anyone at all coming out of the room or passing by them but apparently the room was now clear for them to go in.

Opening the door ajar for Yoona to go in first, Kyuhyun nodded at her reassuringly.

"Wait…"

Kyuhyun turned to Jonghyun who now had a hand on his shoulder, stopping him from entering after Yoona.

"What is it?" he asked Jonghyun who was still looking miserable and pale as ever.

"I need to ask you a few things," he replied simply.

 

 

Yoona looked back as the door shut to a close behind her with the men still outside. Not thinking about that any further, she walked on towards the center of the room where a little girl was lying down, sound asleep.

The room was large and square shaped. There were different sorts of machines around. On one side was a counter that covered the entire wall, filled with papers, folders, several x-ray films, and smaller instruments.

On another side was a door, with a large rectangular glass mirror beside it, but Yoona knew well enough by now that it was a two way mirror where doctors observe the goings-on in the room. She was used to these kinds of rooms now from all the times Hyuna came for a check-up. A number of specialists will always be on the other side of that glass, observing.

"Hyuna," Yoona whispered, sitting down on a chair beside the bed and a hand lovingly along Hyuna's forehead, clearing her face of honey colored hair. "I'm so sorry, I really am."

With tears filling her eyes yet again, she bent her head just beside her daughter's and sobbed silently.

Yoona didn't know just how long she had spent crying with her head bent over her crossed arms on the bed. She didn't even know that she had actually dozed off until she felt something warm and slightly heavy cover her back.

Opening her eyes slightly, she saw a tall form- who can unmistakably only be Jonghyun –moving away from her and turn to the other side of the bed. She didn't know just how tired she was until now. And so without a word, Yoona let her lids fall, and drifted back to sleep.

 

 

Jonghyun fell into silence yet again for that night, resting his back on the wall beside Kyuhyun, a hand covering his mouth, trying to conceal his own horror. Just when he thought that things wouldn't get worst, it just did.

First he finds out that Hyuna was his daughter. He actually had triplets! Though he still doesn't quite understand how it could be possible to have two identical children with a third fraternal at the same time. Was that even possible? For all he knew, he never thought it was. He hardly knew anyone who was a twin, let alone triplets. And sure enough, he didn't know anyone with this sort of condition either. That's what made Kyuhyun's news worst. He never even knew Hyuna had a condition of any sort! He always assumed she was younger by a year or so, explaining her smaller size as compared to the boys.

Second, he finds out that Hyuna had been a really underdeveloped baby when she was born. Again, Jonghyun didn't know how that was possible, but according to Kyuhyun, neither did he and the other doctors who had been monitoring her case from the start. As far as they had studied her case, she wasn't supposed to be born at all. She was like a miracle baby, an unexpected plus one from a set of twins rather than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter