The Maknae

Truth or Dare

 

“Tzuyu, truth or dare?”

Oh it’s about time.

She doesn’t even need to think about her answer and immediately replied the thing she’s very well known for always telling.

“Truth.”

Dahyun turned serious. “Tzuyu-ah I want you to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth okay? Let’s be honest here.”

“Okay,” the maknae shrugged.

She felt confident because first she’s always been honest to everyone especially her members, too honest actually that everyone sees her as blunt and and savage most of the time (sometimes even rude by the haters), and second she doesn’t have any secret to tell. Or so she thought.

“Tell us at least one grudge you’ve been hiding to all of us in general.”

She’s not the type to hold a grudge to anyone especially to her close ones so she doesn’t think there’s something she’s been hiding to her members all this time. Well except one.

She told herself so many times she shouldn’t be feeling that way but she can’t just help it. Oh great now she can’t dismiss the thought on her mind.

“I..I don’t think there’s one,” her attempt to tell a lie and failed miserably, the knowing look of her members says so.

Everyone in this room knows she’s lying. She doesn’t stutter when telling the truth and the fact that she can’t even look straight in their leader’s eyes means something’s up.

The tall girl embarrassingly bowed her head. They need to know. If right now isn’t the right moment then when is? She’s always been shy of voicing out her thoughts, must be one of the reasons why she and Mina got along so well, and she’s always been a good listener but maybe it’s about time they listen to hers.

“I want you all to stop treating me like a baby,” Tzuyu firmly said, expecting her voice to quiver but sighed in relief when the opposite happened.

She slowly raised her head and meet her members shock faces. She must have been too harsh to them.

“It’s just that I’m a member too, you know. I’m the youngest yes, but that doesn’t mean I can’t put on a strong face in front of everybody,” she paused. “I’m not fragile. I just wish you guys would let me protect you too. Can you do that?”

Tzuyu turned to look at her members’ faces and hurt is so evident. It pains her seeing them like this especially because it’s her fault but somehow she felt relieved. She didn’t know letting it all out could make her feel this good.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love the attention and affection I’m getting from you guys but sometimes I just find it too hard to breathe,” she finished.

Their fans often joke about it and sure it’s a good laugh but she’s an adult now and maybe she’s just overreacting but can you blame her? The eight girls are so reliable that it scares her one day they’ll all just disappear.

She felt so proud of herself for speaking up but felt so guilty she had to mess things up at the same time. Her unnies would probably hate her now and this could be the end of their still blossoming friendship but the negative thoughts soon vanished the moment she saw her chingu’s proud smile.

One look at Chaeyoung and she knows, the smol bean understands her. Of course, out of them all they’re the closest. They are both the maknaes so she understands.

The silence was soon interrupted by the small hiccups of a certain bunny. Everyone then turned their attention to Nayeon.

“I-I’m so sorry I-,” the eldest managed to utter in between sobs.”It was never our intention to make you feel that way.”

It was her who babies Tzuyu the most. She has a really soft spot for the maknaes and adores babies for that matter. The world is cruel and the urge to protect them all of the time is so strong that she didn’t realize it must be suffocating for them.

Or maybe she’s just biased because Dahyun is part of the maknae line as well but she always gave her less attention than the other two. It’s just that the eldest of the trio seems to be the independent one. She takes good care of herself well that Nayeon thought it’s best to just focus her attention to Chaeyoung and Tzuyu who needed the protection the most. But apparently they don’t anymore.

The bunny felt a hand on her shoulder and as if by instinct, she rested her head on that someone’s shoulder. Her hiccups didn’t stop and as soon as she was enveloped into a hug, she burst into tears.

“If we treat you like a baby it’s because we care too much for you, that’s just our way of showing our love to you,” Jeongyeon said while rubbing circles on Nayeon’s back.

She then raised her free arm as if inviting Tzuyu in an embrace. Among Twice, they are both the ones who hated being clingy the most so the fact that it was Jeongyeon who initiated the skinship means she’s dead serious. She gladly took the embrace.

“Why are you guys being emo all of a sudden? Stop it,” Jihyo sniffed.

“And whose fault is that?” a certain penguin accused.

“Oh hey Minari, I didn’t know you’re here,” Sana glanced at the penguin surprised.

The black swan playfully smacked the squirtle’s shoulder. They have been playing for a few minutes already and the quiet girl just decided to interject now.

“Are you guys seriously saying we shouldn’t have played in the first place?” the leader acted dramatically hurt.

“We’re not saying anything,” Chaeyoung raised both of her hands, as if proving her innocence.

Jihyo gasped, “Heol.”

“Okay that’s enough let’s just continue the game and can we please avoid all the dramatic questions. We’re supposed to have fun so why are we crying all of a sudden?”

“That’s like the most words you said in a while Mina, wow I’m so proud of you,” Sana is about to hug the penguin but immediately dodged it.

“In all seriousness, that’s almost impossible since we have Nayeon and Jihyo unnie aka the crybabies of the group.”

“Ya it’s not my fault my eyes are big and Momo you envy them right? You tell them!”

Nayeon is about to add a remark but immediately stopped when she felt a squeeze on her hand. It was Jeongyeon. She couldn’t help but turn her head and blush. The short-haired girl sure knows how to shut her up.

She watched disappointedly as the ostrich slowly stood up and silently returned to her originally seat. She just wished she could have stayed by her side.

“Okay kids Mina is right, let’s just resume the game. Now who’s ready for the real tea? We barely even started yet.”

 


 

A/N: AHHH OMG I’M FINALLY BACK AFTER ONE YEAR! IT’S SO GOOD TO BE BACK BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR PRECIOUS MAKNAE TZUYU! Okay let me calm down first lol So this chapter focuses on Tzuyu and it’s not a coincidence because I’ve been meaning to post this chapter for a while now but since school exists I just finished it now. I hope you enjoyed reading it and let me know your thoughts. Also I’m planning on writing another story so please vote on the poll below which ship are you rooting for or rather comment down who will be the endgame of this fic. Thank you and have a great day!