Signal

Truth or Dare

 

“Guys don’t you think it’s getting boring?” Sana blurted out. “I mean what’s with the lame questions and so-obvious answers?”

She just thought they’re doing this game anyway, why not make it more interesting right?

“Ya, wait for your turn and let’s see if you can still say that let alone mutter a word,” Nayeon defended.

The bunny can’t help but think about the humiliating thought she just had moments ago and it’s enough to make her turn into a shade of pink.

“That’s enough. Let’s just get this over with,” the leader interjected.

“Okay fine but let me spin the bottle.”

Sana then grabbed the bottle and spin it. Now let’s see who’s fate is gonna be doomed… she excitedly thought.

Nayeon stifled a laugh.

“What do you say now Sana-chan?” she teased.

The Japanese girl’s gaze was locked at the bottle in front of her. It was pointing at her direction. Just great.

“Sana truth or dare?” Momo asked.

The squirrel can’t help but gulp and bit her lip. She was totally calm just a few moments ago and now she felt so nervous for some reason. Her guts are telling her something is about to happen. Sana dismissed the thought and sighed.

“Dare,” she simply said.

The peach grinned. She clearly knows what’s going on inside the squirrel’s mind, six years of friendship is indeed no joke.

“I dare you to pick only one, Dahyun or Tzuyu?”

The moment those words slipped Momo’s lips, everyone was left gaping.

“Ouch, what was that for?!” Momo rubbed her left elbow and faced Jeongyeon who just nudged her a few seconds ago.

The short-haired girl glared at her and gave her that ‘really’ look afterwards. 

“What?” the peach asked her innocently.

They all just sighed in return. Momo could be really clueless sometimes.

 

. . .

 

Sana was quite taken aback but she tried to hide it from her members.

“W-wait isn’t that cheating? You’re supposed to dare me and not ask me,” the squirrel tried to reason out.

Sana helplessly turned to her best friend and the latter just shrugged.

“It’s not against the rules so technically it’s still valid,” Jihyo said. “And besides isn’t this what you wanted, some kind of twist as you say?”

Not like this, Sana almost blurted out.

This is clearly the kind of question she badly wanted to avoid. Usually when she doesn’t know what to say, she would utter stupid things. There goes her famous lines, ‘Green tea is green’ and ‘The desk is just a desk’.

She could do the same thing right now but no, it’s different this time. If she did something stupid again, she’s definitely gonna hurt someone. And she doesn’t want that to happen. How could she do that to Dahyun and Tzuyu, both she treasured dearly with all her heart?

One who can always cheer her up even through it’s mere presence. And one who she can always turn to when she has no one. One who feels exactly like home. And one who can make her feel so out of this world.

How could she choose between them now? When both are so lovely and precious. Both who deserve the world but the world doesn’t even deserve them. Both who can make her life feel so complete and contented.

Is she being unfair if she wishes she could have them both for herself?

 

. . .

 

Dahyun wishes this kind of question shouldn’t have been brought up. But somehow this is the truth they all deserve to know. And the truth is never simple. It freakin’ hurts.

This too shall pass away. It is at times like this she wishes she have Momo’s ability on their music video so she could ran away. But then she thought, she couldn’t ran away forever. This too, she sighed shall pass away.

One look at Sana and she already know. Of course, her mind silently screamed, of course.

The squirrel mouthed her a silent sorry and she just smiled in return.

Sana then sighed, looked down and uttered, “Tzuyu.”

Didn’t she saw the look she just gave her? She sent her a signal and yet she didn’t understand. She’s been giving her all these signs but she’s either too blind to see or she doesn’t care at all. It seems that no matter what she does, it just won’t work.

Pabo-ya. She’s been preparing for Sana’s answer but somehow, it still hurts hearing it from the Japanese girl’s own mouth. She knew it of course, it’s always been Tzuyu. She can never win against the Taiwanese girl. She mentally cursed herself for secretly hoping Sana would pick her.

Dahyun made it clear to herself from the start that this is just temporary and she shouldn’t be too attached but it’s all too late now. The only thing she cared about right now is her heart being broken into a million of pieces.

She then wondered, will she ever find that someone who’s willing to pick her over anyone else? She shook her head at her ridiculousness. It’s okay, she’s fine being the second anyway she’s so used to it now.

This too shall pass away.

The silence at the dorm is so deafening and it was only Jeongyeon who dared to break the ice.

“Don’t worry I’ll choose you Dahyunnie,” she said.

Just when Dahyun thought her tears are about to fall, she heard those words. She looked up and saw the short-haired girl smiling at her. The tears she’s been holding fell on it’s own as she blinked.

“Jeongyeon unnie…”

Dubu is so lost for words. Images then started flashing on her mind and all of a sudden everything makes sense. That one time, on Amigo TV when other members have to choose who they want to take care of them, Sana may have picked Tzuyu but it was Jeongyeon who picked her.

Among the members, Momo, Mina and Dahyun are the ones afraid of rides so when Twice went to an amusement park and Dahyun was forced to join the ride, Jeongyeon was there to comfort her. The short haired girl never let go of her hands and even helped her stand afterwards.

She can picture so many scenarios where the older girl was always there to take care of her and protect her. Just recently she even bought her an ice cream just because she’s craving for one. She haven’t payed much attention to those little things until now.

“Me too,” Jihyo said. “You guys are my members and I would all pick you over anyone. I wouldn’t trade you pabos for the world.”

She’s too busy only looking at Sana that she didn’t notice other members are taking care of her as well. Dubu thought that since she’s the oldest at the maknae line, she needs to be responsible and mature enough for them. She always get this feeling she needs to do well and be independent enough that she forgot she’s still young and wanted her unnies’ care and attention too.

Maybe that’s why she got too attached to Sana. It’s because she thought the squirrel is the only one who actually care about her. She acts as if she hates it when Sana tries to kiss her or hug her so tight as if she doesn’t want to ever let go of her but deep inside she’s savoring the moment.

And she’s wrong. She had eight other people who she can always depend on. She had eight other people who accepts and loves her for who she is. She had eight other people she can call her family.

See? It’s not that bad getting second place anyway, Dahyun cheerfully thought.

 


A/N: First I’m really sorry if I hurt 2yeon shippers out there last chapter, it just needs to be done. :D  And second, this chapter was supposed to be updated sooner but sadly the draft I made got deleted and I have to rewrite everything again :( I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I can't promise when to update again since I have classes but I'll still try to update. Btw thank you guys for leaving comments and for waiting patiently as always. Have a great day! :)