I Am Not A Coward

I Fell in Love With a Nerd

IU's POV.

"What kind of girl studies while walking in the hallway?"  A girl with dark blonde snickered as she lightly placed a hand over and walked away.  I looked away from the girl, feeling my cheeks turn red, and quickly tucked my trigonometry textbook away.  I didn't even have a test coming up anytime this week.  I was just studying for the heck of it, and according to everyone in my school, that was a nerdy thing to do.  I also didn't have anything to do besides study since I have no friends to talk to.  

I walked into my first period classroom and bowed politely to my teacher, who smiled at me.  As I walked to my seat in the back, I felt people staring at me and laughing.  I wasn't surprised.  After all, I was the biggest nerd of our grade, and I knew it.  I would know even if my classmates didn't stick post-its on my possessions reminding me.  

As I arrived at my seat, I checked my chair before I sat down on it.  Thank gosh I did, because someone had placed a raw egg on my seat so that I would sit down and ruin my pants.  I cautiously picked up the raw egg and disposed of it in the garbage can.  A loud crack sounded from the bin as the egg broke inside the can and although I felt bad for the janitor who had to clean it up later, I briskly walked back to my seat, not wanting to attract the attention of any more bullies.  

It's okay IU, I thought to myself.  You're better than them.  They're cowards who aren't confident about themselves.  I closed my eyes and lowered my head while sitting down.   

[Flashback to 2 Years Ago]

"Yahh, is it fun to be picked on everyday?"  Yoona, the prettiest girl in school, asked me.  A frown formed on her face, an expression that didn't match with her soft features, and I think I saw a little bit of concern.  I looked up at her with my tear streaked face, and hugged my knees tighter .  After being bullied, I preferred sitting down and crying in empty classrooms.  Yoona sighed and then crouched down to be on the same eye level as me.

"Right now, you're acting pitiful and pathetic.  I know you aren't that type of person, so stand up to them.  Then they will be the ones who are pathetic," she said to me.  "Show them that they're the cowards and reveal their true, disgusting nature."  

I looked at her, my nose sniffling, blood dripping down my head, and my face bruised.  Three girls had chosen to slap me and "give me what I deserved," according to them.  

Yoona gave me a smile and pulled out some bandages from her backpack.  "Here!"  She said cheerfully.  "I took them from the nurse's office just now," she giggled.  I reached for them, but she pulled it away from me before I was able to grab them.  I looked at her questioningly.  

She laughed.  "I'll help you put it on," she said as she prepared one of the bandages and brushed away my bangs.  

After she finished placing the bandages on my forehead, I shifted my body uncomfortably.  "Yoona..."  I mumbled. 

Yoona cocked her head.  "Hmm?"  She eyed me curiously.  "Is something wrong?  Are the bandages uncomfortable?"  

I shook my head.  "No, you did a good job.  You could be a nurse," I said jokingly, smiling.  She grinned in reply and laughed.  I put my serious face back on and began to talk.  "Yoona, thank you for helping me.  You're a really nice person."  

Yoona smiled lightly.  As Yoona was about to thank I for the compliment, I interrupted her.  "Wait," I said, clenching my fists and biting my lip.  "I've never had a friend before," I said pursing my lips.  "Can...  Can you be my first friend?"  

Yoona smiled widely and nodded.  A sigh of relief escaped my mouth and I gave a smile.  "Phew...  What a relief.  What would I have done if you said no?"  I wondered playfully, a grin playing on my face.  

"But IU..."  Yoona began speaking, a feeling of seriousness coating her face.  "Please don't misunderstand.  I want to stand up for you against those bullies, I really do...  But I want you to be able to stand up for yourself as well..."  Yoona's smile faded, and now she had a sad expression on her face.  

I smiled at her.  "I promise you, Yoona, that I will stand up to them the next time I see them."  I closed my eyes with a smile on my face, and placed my hand on my heart.  Yoona laughed.  "That's good!"  She exclaimed, and then locked my pinkie with hers.  "But you have to pinkie promise me that you will."  

I nodded excitedly and laughed.  "Yes!"

[Flashback End] 

"Why does she have a random smile on her face?"  A passing girl whispered to her friend, obviously referring to me.  

"I don't know," her friend whispered back.  "But you can just tell she's a weird person. Forget her, let's just go before she has a breakdown."  A frown immediately formed on my face.  I'm not weird, or crazy!  I'm sure everyone makes faces to themselves every once in a while when thinking.  

I shook my head, pushing the gossip of the girls aside and thought about Yoona again.  I smiled to myself.  Im Yoona, my first friend.  She even made me a better person.  I was able to make those girls into the cowards, because of her.  

As I thought back to when I had finally stood up for myself, I realized how different I had used to be from who I was now.

But I guess I'm still sort of the same, I thought, cocking my head.  Since I still study at random times.  

I laughed.  Haha, it's okay, I reassured myself.  Lee Ji Eun isn't a coward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOOOOOOOOH MY GAWSHHHHHH.  THIS CHAPTER IS SO BORING T-T sorry~ 

heheh, i included yoona for the first chapter(: she won't appear again, so maybe i should make it so she died in an accident? o:  wahh noo, that's too mean! maybe she moved away. hmm, i'll think about it.  so? how's the story so far, people? i know this chapter was super boring, but it is the first chapter, so i guess it's okay.  but does my story plot seem interesting? D: please let me know! i took a break from dream high for this!  eheheh, i'm just re-watching it this week because it makes me feel optimistic. and i like feeling that way(: does anyone else feel that way? LOL. maybe it's just me, cuz i'm a weirdo.

ANYWAYS, MOVING ON.  i wanted to request a poster from someone,  but then i remembered that i dont have a title yet! D: aishh, i'm such a babo. T-T oh well, that's life. :] enjoy, everyone! subscribe and comment!(:♥