Our Times [JEONGCHEOL]

Once Upon A Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pairing: Jeongcheol
Rated: T 

They said, if you love someone... tell him.

Because once you miss your chance, you have it no more.

.

.

.

“Jeonghan-hyung, gosh-- if you like him, tell him!”

“Yeah! You should tell him-- he looks nice after all.”

“He would probably reject you in the nicest way ever! Go for it, Jeonghan-hyung!”

“But...” A beautiful long-haired boy bit a pink envelope in his hand and hid behind the wall as another boy with dazzling cat eyes laughed at the joke someone cracked.

“But what?!”

“...What...What if he's not gay...?”

Junhui facepalmed.

“I mean... --Look! That's our school most popular girl!” Jeonghan whispered as he pointed at a Chinese girl who was giggling among Joshua's group. “They...They're spending time again!”

“Are you sure Tzuyu is Joshua's jam?” Hoshi rolled his eyes.

“Don't they look good together? It seems...Tzuyu-ssi always follow Joshua around...” Jeonghan mumbled wistfully.

Seungkwan groaned in exasperation and finally marched right out of their hiding.

Yoon Jeonghan's eyes widened. “Seungkwannie! What are you doing?!”

“If you're not going to tell him, then so be it! I'm going to the cafeteria for food!” And he marched off.

“Yeah, mommy.” Dino yawned as he began following after the other. “I'm going with Seungkwan-hyung. I'm hungry.”

“Man up, Jeonghan-hyung.” Hoshi clung an arm around Junhui and both of them skipped into the cafeteria, leaving the pretty boy gasping on his own.

The object of his eyes finally stood when the cafeteria started to crowd and he left the cafeteria with his friends, eyes unintentionally met Jeonghan's.

“Hi.” He smiled and Jeonghan could feel himself falling in love again.

Yes.

He fell in love with that guy.

Pledis High number 1 popular prince.

Joshua Hong Jisoo.

***

“What? Hyung! You got another love letter?” Seungkwan's eyes almost bulged out when he saw several colourful envelopes in Jeonghan's shoe rack. “As expected from Pledis's cheonsa!”

Jeonghan's cheeks pinked. “S-Shush!”

“I bet you don't need Joshua-ssi then, angel.” Junhui popped up, leaning on the rack next to Jeonghan. Jeonghan gasped, clutching at his heart.

“You're wrong, Junhui-hyung~” Hoshi grinned. And Jeonghan clutched at his heart again. “The only one in his eyes is Joshua-ssi~”

“SHUUSSHHHHHHHH! And you guys please stop popping out randomly! My heart is gonna stop!”

“Anyway, I think I always see that blue envelope ever since you got your first letter, Jeonghan-hyung.” Seungkwan snatched the envelopes from Jeonghan's grip and examined the plain, blue envelope carefully. “I think it's the same person. Like...the way it's folded, wrapped up and...the writing. It's consistent.”

“Huh?”

“Wow, that person must have liked you so much, Jeonghannie-hyung~”

“Take a look.” Seungkwan said. “It's the same kind of envelope, same neat writing and also it...” He sniffed the envelope. “If I remember correctly, it smells the same.”

“...Really?”

“...”

“You did not read any of them...?”

Sheepishly, Jeonghan shook his head.

Seungkwan, Junhui and Hoshi looked at each other before letting out a sigh and facepalmed themselves.

“You're hopeless!”

.

.

It should be a peaceful day for Jeonghan. He's walking home from school alone after all his friends were involved in school extra-curricular activites.

Like...he should be home now writing another unsent love letter for Joshua.

Or watching TV.

Or sleeping.

Or something else...

...AND NOT BE PEEPING AT THE MOST GRUESOME DELINQUENT FIGHT HE HAD EVER WITNESSED!

“Please... Please forgive me! I...I will not do it anymore!” The boy pleaded as he knelt before another boy who was smirking deviously at him.

“Do I look like I care?” Choi Seungcheol grinned. Jeonghan gasped internally when the delinquent broke an empty beer bottle and pointed the sharp tip at the trembling boy.

Seungcheol tapped at the trembling boy's chin and laughed. “Look at you! So pathetic!”

He signaled at his followers and the rest twirled their baseball bat around, grinning evilly at the trembling boy.

Jeonghan gasped again. He knew them! They're from his school! Number 1 bad boy! Especially that smug looking leader!

He's Choi Seungcheol.

The school number 1 blacklist!

Oh god, he should leave now. He shouldn't be witnessing any murder.

What if... What if he had to turn up to the police and turn those people in and-- and-- oh god--! He couldn't even find any word to explain his panic.

Jeonghan quickly turned around and ran away.

He cringed at the sound of wood smashing against flesh and the boy groaning in pain but he cared no more.

I'm sorry.

***

After their usual morning assembly, Jeonghan bid goodbye with his friends and made his way to his class. The beautiful boy approached his own chair and smiled at his deskmate who looked up nervously at him.

“Hi.”

“H-Hi...Jeonghan...”

The boy stopped looking at Jeonghan and quickly continued reading his book which was upright.

“Myungho?” Jeonghan called.

The boy didn't answer.

“...Myungho.”

He fidgeted.

“Yah, Myungho!”

Some of the students turned to look at Jeonghan who had just raised his voice at the other before turning their head away again.

“Jeonghannieeeeee!” The boy suddenly stood and knelt before Jeonghan who was taken back at his sudden outburst. “I'M SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN TO OPEN YOUR LETTERS BUT-- BUT-- BUT-- IWASCURIOUSITWASUSUALLYDELIVEREDTOYOURSHOERACKANDYOUHAVENEVERLETMETREADYOURLETTERSOI—I--I--I--IWASREALLYCURIOUS!”

Myungho breathed vigorously and looked at Jeonghan who was blinking at him.

“Uhh...It...is okay...?” Jeonghan blinked again. “I...I mean Seungkwannie and the rest used to--”

“NO! THIS ISN'T ANY NORMAL LETTERS! THIS...THIS IS--” Myungho pointed at the cream envelope under Jeonghan's desk.

Jeonghan felt a bad premonition.

“What...What is about the letter?” He took the envelope and examined the surface of the paper which look clean and...not harmful. Jeonghan pulled out a letter from the inside of the envelope and god, he swore his heart could stop at the bold writing written across the header.

THROW IT AWAY AND YOU DIE!

“...The fu--...”

With a thumping heart, Jeonghan unfolded the letter and his eyes widened at every word scribbled on the letter.

If you stop reading this, you are going to make the biggest mistake of your life. You. Are. Going. To. Die. I am Maria Antoinette. One of the last survivors in World War 2. If you don't forward this to another 5 people that you hate, I will come to you and feed on your soul until I achieve immortality. A girl ignored this and she became a living corpse 20 days later. You can search me on the Internet. I am real.

To those that you have forwarded to, they will either suffer bad fortune or...they will live if they continue this chain message one hour after they receive this letter.

I am watching you.

A bead of sweat trickled down his temple. What the ...?

“Jeo-Jeonghannie...?” Myunho squeaked. “Are you...Are you okay...?”

“I...” To be very honest, Jeonghan's gear stopped turning and he didn't know what to think or if he even could think rationally.

“If...If you're not going to forward this...you're going to die... It sounds...scary...” Myungho whispered.

Jeonghan looked at his deskmate and bit, “Who should I send to?! I mean... I don't even know who I hate! I don't even have one!”

“Ummm...”

.

.

.

“Do you even believe in this?” Junhui ridiculed as he flung the paper away and continued cuddling with Jeonghan. “This is so stupid. And are you history illiterate? The survivors are never mentioned, brother.”

“But...what if...what if this is real?!”

“Yeah, it's...quite scary.” Seungkwan paled.

“Maybe if you're so scared, you can send one to Choi Seungcheol.” Hoshi suggested as he opened his sausage.

Junhui suddenly stopped coiling his body around Jeonghan and looked sharply at Hoshi. Then, he turned to Jeonghan and muttered darkly, “Don't even. If he found out, you're so DEAD.”

“I second Junhui-hyung.” Dino said as he gulped down his chocolate milk. “Choi Seungcheol is scary. Didn't he just beat up some guy from the second grade? I heard that guy was severely injured that he had 32 stitches on his forehead and bad bruises all over his torso.”

“And the victim's parents don't charge any on Choi Seungcheol because Choi Seungcheol apparently comes from powerful family background. Having said that his father runs underground black market.”

“Wow...underground black market?! That's so sick, Junhui-hyung!”

“So, don't get yourself involved with him.” Junhui grabbed Jeonghan's chin and twirled his head around. “You will not end up good with him.”

Jeonghan gulped. And that's the solid reason the chain message should be delivered to Choi Seungcheol! He needs to be scared!

“Why not send it to Tzuyu?” Hoshi suggested again.

“Wha--?” Jeonghan turned his head to the boy and gasped incoherently. “No way! If-- If Joshua found out-- My reputation is going down the drain!”

“He's not going to.” Dino rolled his eyes. “I mean...since you don't really like Tzuyu-ssi...send one to her then. Then, to that stalker guy who stalks you... Then, maybe to the dictator disciplinary master... Then, maybe that annoying junior flapping around you (“You mean, you?” Junhui grinned)... And...hmm... I don't know who else...”

“That's rather unwise and wise in the same time, hyung.” Seungkwan commented.

“Maybe you should ignore that chain message, Jeonghannie-hyung...” Junhui yawned and wrapped his arms around Jeonghan's waist as he snuggled close to the long-haired boy.

“Hmm...” Jeonghan sighed.

The group went down in a silent at the rooftop of the school as they munched on their food.

“Oh, do you know-- Joshua-ssi just won few medals in the tournament recently?” Seungkwan chirped.

“I know!” Jeonghan squealed. “I freaking know! I saw him on the paper today! Gosh! He's so good! The way he held the ball-- he's so cool!”

“Yeah, yeah.” Junhui mocked. “Joshua-ssi is cool in everything. Alright, got it.”

The group laughed when Jeonghan smacked Junhui and the other boy reciprocated by tickling Jeonghan on his waist.

***

And so, Yoon Jeonghan did the stupidest or...he dubbed it, bravest (“Bravery without intelligence,” Junhui always quoted) thing that he had ever done in his life. He slipped one chain letter in the creepy stalker's shoe rack. And then, he quietly sneaked into the junior's class when no one had arrived yet and put it under his drawer.

After that, he put one under Tzuyu's desk when the rest had rushed out for break and also slipped one on the disciplinary master's desk after he had left for class.

On a second thought, maybe Tzuyu didn't deserve the chain letter. She's just being her, she didn't throw herself at Joshua. They're both...together because they just looked good together. Jeonghan sighed.

He looked at the last letter in his hand. He would think about Tzuyu later.

“Now...the only headache is that Choi Seungcheol guy...” Jeonghan mumbled to himself. He walked past the basketball ground in his school and stopped when he heard girly cheers resonating around that area. He looked over and his eyes widened when he saw a tall with athletic build rounding several players defending their goal and shung!

The cheer rose again as the guy scored one goal and his teammates patted his back encouragingly. Jeonghan's eyes turned heart shape at the smiling boy. When the boy looked over, Jeonghan swore his heart beat faster and his cheeks pinked as their eyes met.

The guy smiled dazzlingly at him.

He needed to tell this to Junhui!

He had to tell Seungkwan!

He had to brag to Dino!

Joshua smiled to him again!

“Gyaaa, Tzuyu-ah~ He's smiling at you!”

“You're so lucky, Tzuyu-ahh~”

Deg!

Then, Jeonghan's heart broke a little. He looked over properly at where Joshua was actually looking at and his expression turned stiff.

Joshua Hong...was actually smiling at Chou Tzuyu...

Don't cry, Yoon Jeonghan. You are stronger than this. You are definitely stronger than this. You-- Jeonghan almost wail and he immediately turned around to leave the court.

Now, Chou Tzuyu definitely deserve the chain message!

He ambled around the school in misery (well, he felt he's friendzoned) and agony (because his crush was definitely not going to notice him) until he reached the school swimming pool. Jeonghan checked his watch and pondered as he heard the unusually quiet swimming pool chided with noise. Usually, the pool would be empty because swimming lesson or aquatic club would be held during lessons break.

But...?

Was it...ghost...?

Jeonghan's face paled.

Suddenly, all the rumors about the restless spirits came haunting into his head.

“Hyung-ah...do you know, someone from our school died because he played that Japanese famous coin board game?”

“Hyung-ah...I heard the swimming pool is fairly haunted. A guy slipped and die in the pool when he wanted to make a deep dive. That's why the 10m dive was taken down!”

“Hyung-ah... I heard...a camper from the Guides played one-man hide and seek here in this swimming pool. His body was never found... Having said that he lost it when the doll found him...”

“Hyung-ah...”

“Hyung-ah...”

DAMN YOU, BOO SEUNGKWAN!

Jeonghan almost peed himself and suddenly he felt the temperature around dropped a couple of degrees colder.

.

He turned a few deep breaths and turned around.

He's going to sprint out of this place and never going to step a foot into this area anymore.

Just when he's prepared to run, then, he heard a familiar voice.

“Look at his face! He's so scared!”

Eh?

Jeonghan blinked to himself. He thought he had heard of that voice somewhere...

“Hahaha, Seungcheol-hyung! You should have hit him on the face!”

Laughter echoed throughout the pool again.

Seungcheol...?

Choi...Seungcheol...?

A devil morphed behind him. Biting his lips, Jeonghan crept silently into the pool and peeped, his eyes widened at the sight of Seungcheol playing in the water with his friends. He looked around until he saw a lump of clothes and several bags cascaded on the rack.

Tiptoeing, Jeonghan sneaked into the pool and looked for Seungcheol's bag.

Aha. Found it!

He saw Seungcheol's name stitched on the bag and without wasting any more time, he slipped the chain letter into Seungcheol's bag.

“Done.” Jeonghan mumbled to himself. Looking at Seungcheol's way again, when the group was still busy laughing at each other, Jeonghan sprinted out of the swimming pool.

That's most probably the fastest in history that Jeonghan had ever ran.

***

“I'm done.” Seungcheol announced as he got out of the pool and his followers stopped playing in the water.

“Going back already, hyung?”

Seungcheol looked around and let out a cynical smirk. “No one's home anyway. It doesn't matter if I do or don't.”

“Uhh...”

Seungcheol massaged his neck and yawned. “But-- I rented some good DVDs and I'm going home to watch them all.”

“Ahh. Can we tag along?!” Dokyeom let out a toothy grin.

“Suit yourself.” Seungcheol shrugged. “So, I'm going off first.” He said as he took the towel and dried himself.

“Ah, wait-- we're coming with you!” Dokyeom and Vernon immediately climb out of the swimming pool and took their own towel as they dried their body.

“Hyung, have you ever thought of modelling?”

“Hmm?” Seungcheol raised a brow. “What?”

“I mean...you have good body though. You should think of modelling.” Dokyeom said again.

Vernon nodded in agreement.

Seungcheol laughed and shook his head at the two. He pulled on his pants and fixed his belt. “Alright, see you guys at the gate. I'm going to catch a drink at the vending machine.”

“Okay, hyung!”

The delinquent left immediately and the other two were still buttoning their shirt up. They folded their towel and cleaned up the place a bit before grabbing their shoes.

“What's that?” Vernon murmured.

Dokyeom blinked and then followed Vernon's eyes where it led to a blinking black device on the floor.

“Aish, this hyung. He left his stuff around again!”

.

.

.

Seungcheol yawned and his fruit juice for the last drip before crushing the box and throwing it into the trash bin. He stood at the gate as he waited for the other two and sighed. It was going to be another boring day at home.

“Hyung-ah!”

Seungcheol didn't need to turn around but he nodded anyway and laughed as Dokyeom looked like he's going to die from the lack of oxygen.

“You ran?”

“If not?!”

“Why?” Seungcheol laughed again.

“Hyung, you left this.” Vernon muttered and handed the black phone to the blinking boy.

“Oh, my phone?”

“If you leave anything again, next time we're just going to chuck it down the drain!”

Seungcheol smirked. “You wouldn't dare.”

“Oh, try me!” Dokyeom challenged.

Seungcheol shrugged and slid his phone open, checking his Facebook notifications and grinned once in a while at the shared posts.

“Hyung, you shouldn't be using your phone while crossing the road. You're going to die.” Dokyeom muttered.

“Touch wood!” Seungcheol almost smacked the boy's head but Vernon interrupted.

“Yeah, hyung. It's really dangerous. Put your phone away.”

“Just for a moment.”

“No, hyung! Put it away now!”

“Wait.”

“HYUNG!” Both Dokyeom and Vernon shouted as they stopped at the red light.

“Geez, okay, okay.” Seungcheol sighed and opened his bag to chuck his phone in. And then...he saw something foreign.

What the...?

He pulled the envelope out and stared at it as if it's some kind of red-labelled substance that's going to corrode his fingers.

Dokyeom and Vernon's eyes bulged. “HYUNG?!”

“WHAT?!”

“What...What is that...?!”

Seungcheol gulped. “I...don't...”

“Did you...just get a love letter...?” Vernon mumbled after recovering from his shock.

Seungcheol's face reddened.

Dokyeom's eyes widened even more at the flushed face and gasped, “Hyung! I never know you could blush-- OUCH!”

Seungcheol tch-ed at the other after smacking his head and with trembling hands, he pulled a letter out from the envelope. He didn't look up as he crossed the road and Vernon and Dokyeom screamed after him.

But everything fell on his deaf ears as his eyes took in the neat writing of the chain message contained in the letter.

And then, a honk chiming before him and then-- BAM!

His world went black.

***

Jeonghan sighed as he dragged his feet into the cafeteria and grabbed a bottle of isotonic drink. He shifted his books on his other arm as he paid the cashier and sighed again. He didn't sleep well the last night. Choi Seungcheol came into his dream and strangled the hell outta him. He even got bird on his head today while he's on his way to school. It's dreadful to get the smell outta it and drying his hair was another freaking torture because Jeonghan's hair was long.

He through his brown hair and groaned when he thought he could still smell bird on the strands.

“Hyunggggggg!”

Before Jeonghan could even look up, Seungkwan had launched full bazooka on him and the boy glomped his thin body.

“UUF!”

“Hyung! You got another love letters!” Seungkwan waved cheerfully

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter