Chapter 18

It Started With A Cucumber

“Dude, you look like a zombie”

“Thanks, Jiwoo, that’s exactly what I need to hear right now.” I sighed as I dragged myself to school with Jiwoo.

This morning’s drive back home with Jimin was the most draining thing ever. He just teased me the whole drive, and I proceeded to insult him back. When we finally arrived outside my apartment, I just slammed the door of his car and didn’t say bye. He didn’t deserve one. That jerk. Who does he think he is calling me small and telling me that I look like a dishevelled hobo?

I haven’t told Jiwoo about this whole job incident yet. I don’t really want to, knowing that she would pester me about it, but I kind of had to since I was moving. I don’t want her turning up at my old apartment and panicking when I don’t open the door.

Actually, that would be kind of funny.

“So why exactly do you look like a zombie anyway? Did you go to bed late?”

“Yup, went to bed about three in the morning” I mumbled

“Why that late?”

“Well…”

Time to tell her about my new job.


“Okay, I honestly can’t believe you just landed yourself a job that easily. And not to mention that your job is looking after BTS! How could you not recognise Park Jimin?”

“Hey, getting the job wasn’t that easy”

“I admit your blackmailing skills are on point. But dude, do you not realise how lucky you are? I’m pretty sure this is like every teenage girl’s dream”

“How is cooking and cleaning for some rude boy band lucky? I have to do homework and work now.”

“I guess the part about homework is true but man, you’ve got to admit they are pretty good looking. You get to see them every day now.”

“Whatever” I said rolling my eyes. But I admit, they are a very good-looking bunch of people.

“Do you like them?” I asked Jiwoo as we neared the school.

“Yup, their music is amazing. You really need to listen to some songs. And they’re all so funny, and I even have a bias, he’s just too cute…” Jiwoo babbled on about who her favourite guy was, and I sort of zoned out at one point.

We finally reached the gates of the school, when one important fact that I had forgotten all along.

I stopped in my tracks, with Jiwoo bumping into my back.

“…and he dances so well- Hey! Why did you stop?”

“Jiwoo, Oh my God I cannot go in there. I will not go in there.”

“Huh? Why? Oh”            

That’s right. I had completely forgotten about the whole Youngjae incident since my mind was occupied with getting a job.

I turned around, and tried to run back, only to have Jiwoo grab my jumper. Or more like Jimin’s jumper. It was nice and warm, so I wore it again.

“Come on Hari, what’s the big deal. Just don’t talk to him, it’s that simple.”

“No way, Jiwoo. I bet everyone saw what happened. Oh my God, everyone’s going to stare at me again.”

“No one’s going to stare at you, come on, we’ll be late for class” Jiwoo said as she dragged me to my death.

I was right. As soon as I walked in, all eyes were on me and everybody was whispering. I was really tempted to walk back out of school, but Jiwoo had a death grip on my arm.

“Just ignore them” she whispered in my ear.

I tried my best to do as Jiwoo said, and we both went to our lockers.

People eventually started going to their class. I sighed in relief when I saw that no-one was talking about me anymore.

Jiwoo left first, as she had History whereas I had art.

Wait. I have art?!

Oh, snap.


Don’t come here, don’t come here. Please don’t come here.

Arghh, he’s on his way here.

I turned back to my work, trying to block out Park Youngjae as he attempted to start a conversation with me. It was working at first, until he said something that provoked me.

“Come on Hari, stop ignoring me. I just invited you as a friend, you know? I thought we could get to know each other, and maybe we could work on the upcoming art project together, since you’re really good at art.”

Did I just hear that right?

Was the only reason he asked me out is so that I could help him for a stupid art project?

And did he say he invited me as a friend, after asking me to go with him?

Everything happened in a blur. I was so filled with rage, that without really knowing what I was doing, and grabbed the nearest pot next to me and dumped it all over Youngjae.

I looked at what I had just done.

I had just poured paint all over his crusty- hair.


I sighed in relief as I walked out of the head master’s office. I had gotten away with just a two hour detention tomorrow, since I was normally a ‘well-behaved’ student.

Two hours was still long, but I didn’t mind. The horrified look on Youngjae’s face was all worth it.

Haha, I didn’t know being rebellious was so much fun.

I strolled over to lunch, in a completely good mood now. Hmm, to go straight to the rooftop and meet Jiwoo, or to go to the cafeteria and buy some over-priced chocolate milk?

Since I’m in a good mood, I think I’ll go and splurge on some milk.

As I was walking to the cafeteria, someone grabbed my jumper and stopped me.

“Where do you think you’re going, after spilling paint on my boyfriend?”

Oh no. No no no. This is exactly what I tried to avoid all my high school life.

I attempted to run, but boy was Sora strong. I sighed and turned around, crossing my arms.

“What? Can your boyfriend not look after himself? Do you need to tell me off for him, since he’s such a coward?”

Ooh, I can’t believe I said that. I was normally never this confident, and boy insulting people that I didn’t like is a lot more fun than insulting people that I do like.

“W-w-what did you say?” she spluttered “My boyfriend is not a coward! You’re just a !”

“Wow, I’m so offended. Like, oh my God, I’ve never been called a before-” I remarked, mocking her lame comeback.

But I was kind of interrupted when she slapped me.

Okay, was not expecting that.

She let go of her death grip, and slithered away while laughing madly with the rest of her ‘friends’.