Chapter 6

Taste of Coffee

"What did Jimin say when he knew that you were going to work with a boy for a month?"

"Why does this excite you so much Bori?"

"Because it is? Duh! I have no life! The only fun is teasing you!"

"Jimin was cool with it Bori. This is just an assignment. It is not like i am going to spend every moment with Seungcheol.“

Bori snickered. "Tell that to this girl brooding here."

Sarang passed an intense glare to the two girls. 

Both laughed.

“I thought you were supposed to cheer me up! That was the sole purpose of this sleepover." 

Bori came up to the girl moving her index side by side. Her face had a smirk which Sarang wanted to claw off. "Do we have vanilla ice cream? No. Do we have sappy chick flicks? No. So we we are in my humble home to increase each other's misery."

Ahreum laughed so hard that she nearly slipped off the bed. A squeak came from before it turned to laughter again. 

"This is not cool girls. I am really depressed here. I don't want to even look at that guy! Becasse of him i chouldn't even head home in fear of my sister!"

The face Sarang pulled off made both girls pause for a second. Both of their eyes soften and it didn't take them any time to get to her.

Patting her back Ahreum said, "It is going to be alright. If your sister was angry i think she would have called you right away...at least that is what my parents would have done."

"Same here. My mom would have killed me."

Sarang groaned. "I don't know. My sister has too much on her plate already. Lately, she has been on edge."

"Why?" Bori neared. "Family problem?“

Sarang shook her head. "Just my assumption... i think she is having boy problem."

Ahreum kept on patting her poor friend. She knew how distracting boy problems can be. Her condolences to Sarang's sister who has to shoulder her family responsibilities alone and now, a boy.

Bori on the other hand had a baffled look on her face. 

"That is all?" She snickered. "If it is about boys, we have a GURU here!" 

Sarang turnes towards her friend in surprise. Ahreum even stopped her patting. 

"This gorgeous intelligent girl called Ahreum. She shed many seen and unseen tears for that boy named Jimin."

Punches were thrown towrds the girl who whimpered. Pulling her glasses up, she rubed the area her friends beat her on. 

"How is she a guru? She handled it almost poorly. Heck, she would have even failed if it was a subject."

Ahreum smacked her friend. "I don't think you are any different. Look at yourself and Luhan."

That's when all hell broke loose. Pillows were thrown and things went flying everywhere.

Tuesdays were Sarang's favorite. They had library period today and no maths classes. The day became more special when Sarang's sister called. Turns out, Mr. Grouchy managed to piss off her sister.

"He kept yelling. I had to turn down my volume to hear him properly. He even hung up on me. Tsk." Those were the exact words of her sister.

Her friends were delighted to know that her sister wasn't angry and so, with a happy face all three of them left Bori's house.

Bori's face turned sour soon as she saw the figure leaning on the fench wall. 

"Best friend!“ Jimin came running towards them in a sing-song manner. 

"Are you kidding me? What is your boyfriend doing outside my house?“

Instead of Ahreum, Jimin answered her. "Waiting for my beautiful girlfriend whom you SNATCHED from me BESTfriend." 

Sarang eyed Ahreum who returned her gaze. Both of sighed at the same time as another war commenced between them.

 

 

Did Sarang love books? Absolutely. Though her attention span makes reading process long, she still loves reading. But there was a difference between reading a BOOK and reading HISTORY.

Taking a deep breath, she called him. 

"Luhan."

He didn't look at her. He simply humed while flipping another page, noting down the information he thought was useful.

"Can we think this over and decide tomorrow? It carries 20 marks of our CA."

"Exactly why we cannot waste much time," Luhan shifted his eyes to another page.

Sarang scoffed internally. He sure is a fast reader. Her eyes have been stuck on the same paragraph for five minutes. She was having trouble preventing herself from daydreaming midway a sentence. The reason why she wanted to do this work calmly back at her home. It was also because of the boy who didn't so much as bat an eyelash for everything he did.

Her mind went back to the time in the orphanage. 

Can he be bipolar?

"It will help if you stop staring and start working."

He flipped his book close and looked at her. There wasn't a hint of annoyance or anger in his face yet, it made the girl nervous. She unintentionally flipped the page aggressively before gluing her eyes on the book. 

It was only when she heard him sigh that she snuck a glance at him. He was pinching his nose bridge wearing a painful expression.

"Are you feeling sick?“ 

"No." 

If he was lying, he did it flawlessly. Sarang huffed inaudibly. There goes her chance to get away. 

"I need to go out for a while," he said, abruptly standing up. 

Whatever bro- "woah!" She leaped on her feet towards him. "Are you okay? Brother! Don't scare me like that!"

"I am fine." He tried to pry away Sarang's hands when she wasn't even tounching him! 

"Do you realize you make me scoff a lot?" Sarang pursed her lips NOT to snort. It will be embarrassing to prove her own theory. "Do me a favor and make it easier for us both."

Seemed like he was too sick to fight (thank, god!) He simply ndded. "The class. My pills are there."

Today the Gods were pleased for some reason because most teachers were absent and won't be back until next week. Much to their delight it included Mr. Grouchy and three of their subject teachers (geography, chemistry and physics).

Baekhyun was also back to class and much to Sarang's chargin, the whole class started teasing them after the former thanked the latter. She wished he had been more discreet with the apology. Sigh.

The first two periods belonged to English (Mr. Ji Suk was absent again) and History. Thus, after their 15 minutes interval, Luhan dragged the girl to the library for their history assignment. There were no classes till lunch.

"Is it hurting too much? I-i think you should just stay here. Where did-"

"No," Luhan shook, well, TRIED to shake his head when he winced. He grabbed the nearest chair which alarmed Sarang. Quickly pulling a chair back, she made him sit. It was good that he was complying. 

Her eyes flinched in empathy seeing his composure. Sure she didn't like him, but her sister had taught her about compassion. Right now, sitting in front of her wasn't Luhan, but a poor boy in pain.

Taking a deep breath, she sat on her knees. 

"I know you find me annoying," she bit down her anger and pride, "but please Luhan, please let me help you. Just this once and i promise, i won't ask for anything ever."

Luhan faced her amidst his pain. His forehead was sweaty and his face was red. 

"Please."

Please god, let him agree! Let his stupid stubborn agree.

"pocket."

Sarang snapped out of her trance. "Sorry what?"

"Back pocket of my bag, idiot," Luhan replied, slightly irritated.

Sarang smiled despite being called an idiot (it was her fault for getting lost in the first place). 

"Wait here."

Sarang rushed over to her classroom which would have been empty if not for the six people jotting busily in their notebooks. She never understood how people could dedicate their whole time in studying. 

Her hands grabbed Luhan's bag and checked the back pocket. 

It is empty.

She quickly ped other chains to check. Taking out everything she could grab to see any pills or medicines. 

Her heart beat quickened when she found nothing even after flipping the bag over. 

". Did he even bring any medicines?"

Just when her mind was whizzing with concern, Sehun's picture clicked. 

"Jin joo, do you know where Sehun is?" 

The girl named Jin joo turned back towards her. "I don't know."

"You should check the football field," Haneul, Jin joo's seatmate said. "Some of them went to play football." 

Sarang thanked them with a smile as she ran through the door. 

Jin joo eyed Luhan's poor bag and the stationaries crowding unpleasantly on his table. "Why was she rummaging Luhan's bag?"

Haneul shrugged. "Don't know. It's not our business anyway."  After saying that both of them turned back to their books. 

Sarang was breathless when she reaches the football field. Resting both on hands on her hips, she gasped for air. Her heart was beating loud and her chest was paining from the lack of air. At least her energy didn't go to waste. Sehun was playing football.

"Se-" she gasped for air before taking a deep breath and calling again. "SEHU-"

"Sarang!"

Sarang turned towards the caller in surprise. "Jieun?"

"What is with that look!" Jieun laughed. "If you are here then that means Luhan let you off the hook."

A pinch in Sarang's heart. "About that, Luhan is in trouble. He is sick and his medicines."

Jieun's face contorted instantly. "What happened to him?"

Sarang huffed in frustration. "I don't know. He talked about pills, but i couldn't find anythi-"

"Come with me quick! He might be having a migraine attack."

Sarang's eyes grew large at the revelation. Luhan has migraine? 

"He comes to the healthroom asking for migraine pills occasionally. I saw him since i spend most of my time there."

 

 

 

Sarang gave him a small pill and a bottle of water. He took it with a big gulp. 

"How much time does it take for the pill to work?" Sarang asked hesitantly. 

"I don't know. Never counted."

Typical Luhan. It was funny how she was already expecting vague words from him. Going back to the seat she was in.

Fipped back her book, she told him, "Jieun told me to tell you that you should rest. She said she will keep it open."

Her face scrunced in disapproval when he didn't say anything. "If you are worried about the assignment then stop. I will take care of it."

"You talk too much."

At least he was back, Sarang thought to herself. He was no more a poor boy in pain so she can push away every compassion in her now. 

"Yeah, i know. I tell myself i talk too much too."

Sarang was rendered speechless when Luhan started chuckling. Was what she said that funny? Or had the pain of migraine made him mental? 

"Please go rest. You have lost some screws."