Chapter 1

Taste of Coffee

"LUHAN MAKES ANOTHER SCORE!" The announcer boomed in his mike, making the crowd roar in celebration.

Luhan eyed the net through which the ball passed with satisfaction as his hair dripped with sweat. It wasn't just him but also other players who were sweating like they never did before. Their white jersey (and black for the opposite team) sticking to their chest. Of course, most of the girls stared and drooled at them like they were some kind of a delicious,cool sundae in a hot summer day like this, where the air conditioner wasn't working just like in the case of their basketball hall.

Sarang wanted nothing more than to remove his annoying, pretty look of apathy, off his face. She snorted when she saw how the boy acted like  it was nothing when their team scored. The least he could have done was smile.... And being a loyal supporter of her school basketball team, she wished them to lose if it can quiver Luhan's face even for a bit. 

...

 

And she realized how obsessed she sounded with his face.

 

Clearly, the girl didn't take note of the twinkle in the boy's eyes when his ball went in the basket. 

Fanning her face using a paper, she tried bring down the temperature of her face. 

For now she wanted to get out of this hall and breath in fresh air rather than the suffocating hot air that lacks enough oxygen and has a weird smell of sweat, hotdogs and socks all mixed together. Her eyes travelled enviously towards the door, all the way across, which was wide open.

Even an open door cannot remove the gagging warmth of the hall, can it?

She then drifted her eyes towards their basketball players who were high-fiving each other and getting ready to shoot another ball. They looked confident, least to say, especially that brat Luhan. And why shouldn't they be? The game had reached it's second half and currently, they were leading by 10 points.

"I just want to get out of here!" her friend Bori cried from beside her. Her supposed to be shrill being reduced to a barly audible sound due to all the cheers and noises. "I am starting to get a headache."

Bori was the same age as Sarang: seventeen. She wore black bordered glasses. Her face was baby-like and oval which made her look smaller although she was 163 cm tall. Sarang had met her during their first year in middle school and they became fast friends, gradually becoming best friends.

Bori, unexpectedly, isn't one of your good girls or nerds. Basically, she is the perfect example of the proverb, "Don't judge the book by it's cover."

"Don't worry. The game's about to end," said Ahreum, another best friend of her's, from the other side.

Sarang had met Ahreum the same year as Bori but, after their first semester. She had transferred newly from another school and became an immediate lone-wolf until Sarang offered a hand of friendship. Unlike Bori, Ahreum liked to keep quiet about things this, making her an easy prey to any forms of bullying.

"Hang in there buddy," Sarang said, trying to soothe Bori by rubbing her back. "We will be out soon."

She knew that the latter wasn't saying that just for the sake of saying. Bori's susceptibility to a headache can be compared to how easily a soft tissue absorbs liquid.

"Aish! I wish it wasn't so noisy here."

And as if to mock Bori, half of the crowd stood up and shouted in glee.

Sarang and Ahreum snapped their head towards the court to see Kris shooting another ball in the net. Their score increased another two points.

Well, on the brighter side, it wasn't Luhan who scored, thought Sarang. She didn't want to see him smile smugly to the crowd again. Oh universe, she would give anything to not see him at all.

"Girls," Sarang heard Bori say even in the midst of all the noise. Ahreum, though, didn't seem to notice this and kept her gaze firm on the court. "If I die out here because of this stupid headache then remember my words. I am going to haunt that Principal, Mrs. Jenny."

Sarang could but let out a steely laugh on seeing her friend dead serious with a murderous glint in her eyes.

Mrs. Jenny had made it compulsory for everyone to watch the match today. Since the team winning this match would go to the finals and then, to the nationals, she wanted everyone to cheer on their team. Furthermore, it was happening in their school, giving them more reasons to attend it.

To prove Mrs. Jenny's seriousness, she had the afternoon classes cancelled.

Right then the whistle blew signifying the end of the match.

"EAST WING WINS BY 8 POINTS!"

True to the announcer, their school had 78 points while the opposite team had 70.

A sudden lush of cool wind surrounded the three girls as soon as the crowd dispersed towards the court. Sarang inhaled deeply although the smell of socks and hotdogs still lingered around.

"Let's go!" Bori shot up outright. "I don't want to stay another minute in this rotten, smelling sauna of a hall!"

"Yeah, what a relief. I don't to see that arrogant boy's face too."

Ahreum chortled. "That's sad. I thought you made a good couple."

She received glares from both Sarang and Bori but, for different reasons. The latter wanted to go out as soon as possible while the former got started on how it is impossible for THE Luhan to love someone else other than his pride.

"We can continue this once we are out, Ahreum," Sarang hissed. "Bori really needs some fresh air."

And she wasn't kidding when she said that. Her friend looked as if she was going to pass put anytime soon in weakness. Just as she turned to leave, her eyes locked into Luhan's for what seems to be like a fraction of second before he looked away. If it had happened before the incident with his locker, she would have been confused and befuddled but now...it just enraged her.

"I want to get out of here!"

 

 

The one thing she absolutely hated about Ahreum was how she won't stop teasing unless it gets boring. Sarang had told her about the little eye contact incident the day before and believe it or not, she kind of regretted it. She wondered how Bori would have reacted if she were here...maybe cringed and gagged on it.

On that account...she better check on her after school today.

"Maybe Luhan likes you," Ahreum wiggled her eyebrows. "That's why his friends so much!"

Sarang scoffed on hearing her friend's theory. Nothing could be more wrong than this. She didn't know that the legendary person to fathom his blank canvas-like demeanor was born. On top of that, Luhan taking a liking to her? 

Sorry, but she is married to 95 imaginary boys to allot space for him. K.O.

"Maybe that's why Newton thought it would be better to discover gravity rather than just eat that apple."

Ahreum shook her head like a guru she was. "I have noticed how his friends usually act weird whenever the two of you are close."

"Friends act weird all the time!" Sarang squeaked. "Have you ever thought about how you tease me with 10 different people I hardly know?"

"It's far more better than shipping you with idols and actors."

Sarang huffed. What's wrong with having actors and idols as your bae? 

Before she could have retorted back, Ahreum raised her hand to stop her from continuing. Sarang puffed out her cheeks in annoyance.

"Don't try to maneuver our topic to other directions."

"There is exactly nothing to discuss. And there's nothing wrong with shipping me with my babies."

She knew she was being candid with herself as well as to her friend. She wasn't tall, nor was she extraordinarily pretty . She didn't have a talent to be proud of like Bori or grades that can get her into top universities like Ahreum. The only thing she can do impeccably was cook desserts and ramens. Why else would a boy choose someone like her when they could have so much better? 

And Ahreum should realize that her unreasonable teasing is only on the basis of his friends' reaction. It's an unreliable source and dangerous since, it can start some unwanted rumors.

For some unknown reason, Ahreum's face turned sour.

"What happened to you?" Sarang said, which made Ahreum snap put of her thoughts. "You look like you ate a very sour lemon."

"An unwanted picture of Jimin and his group's basement popped in my head. It was filled with inappropriate pictures of anime girls and Hyuna." She shuddered unconsciously.

Sarang let out a chortle. Park Jimin was Ahreum's boyfriend. Ironically, the once-a-lone-wolf was the first one among the three to get a boyfriend. It was a tough year for the poor boy to finally get a yes. It takes years to get Ahreum act as comfortable as she is now with Sarang and Bori especially for a boy whom she avoids like plague. So, you can imagine what opstacles Jimin boy had to cross to become her special someone. He had both of Sarang and Bori's respect.

"Don't have dirty thoughts, Ahreum. First period's about to start."

She received a hard punch in the arm. And as both of them sat down on their allocated desk laughing, luhan came in from the door. It was enough to transform Sarang's happy face into a scowling one.

Again, she felt as if he looked at her for a split second. Might have been just her imagination.

The bell rang and in came students in a bunch and their homeroom teacher Mr. Nam, wearing his famous white, checkered collar shirt. With that, the classes began.


"Luhan hyung, a third year wants to meet you." Sehun who was right at the entrance of the class shouted. In front of him stood a girl whose upper half of the body was covered by Sehun's tall profile.

The first three periods had ended and it was recess which lasted 15 minutes. Five minutes had already gone by when Sehun called out to his hyung.

Everyone whipped their head towards the said boy who was sleeping with his head down on the table.

Like the brat he was, he didn't answer nor spared poor Sehun a glance. The latter sighed, shaking his head before he turned around and said something to the girl.

Sarang looked at the whole scene with complete bewilderment. She wondered how could anyone be so cold.

"I think I got rejected before I even started harbouring feelings for him." Sarang sobbed dramatically to her friend whose seat was right in front of her's. 

Ahreum, who had turned around just in time to see her acting, shrugged with a sly smile plastered on her face. "You never know Sarang... You never know."

Sarang gave her an unbelievable look before throwing a used pencil her way. The pencil missed it's target though. It went a little too left from her face.

Ignoring her comments, Sarang began talking about her plans to visit Bori to which Ahreum agreed to come. She said that it would be a nice exercise, at the same time, she can pass some time away from home. Recently, Ahreum's grandmother came to live with them from the countryside and to surmise her situation, she doesn't get along with her grandmother.

"She makes me, ONLY ME, do all the chores. She is very biased," Ahreum had said.

Ironically, her grandmother also found out about her relationship with Jimin, thus, making it harder for her to even make a call to her friends. And since that old lady didn't spill the beans to her parents, Ahreum was at her mercy.

"How is Jimin coping up?" Sarang asked her.

Ahreum, who seemed to be in a trance of her own, snapped out and gave a sigh. "Annoying as always. He is determined to meet my grandma...can he be any more stupid?" She blew a raspberry in vexation though Sarang noticed how her eyes softened.

"Hyung!" Sehun's whiny voice echoed throughout the class. Despite the noise created by the presence of half of the class, it was heard clearly.

"And I almost forgot about the King," Sarang said with a roll of her eyes, knowing fully that Luhan might have said something again to adorable Sehun. He sat next to Luhan and unlike him, Sehun was a kind and friendly boy.


Next period was maths...Sarang dreaded for this moment to come. Usually, she wouldn't have any problem with it but, today was different. Bori wasn't by her side and she doubt Ahreum would turn around to help her solve the math equations without completing her own. With Bori around, she could at least copy or learn as the former teaches step by step. Sarang can't even ask Sunwoo, the boy sitting on her other side. If she considered Luhan vain (even if he is not) then, Sunwoo was way worst than him.

To her horror, Mr. Sonam came. He was an Indian emigrant and like many Indians, he sought perfection. The reason why he loves Ahreum and dislikes Sarang.

"That glasses girl isn't here?" He asked in his Indian accent, pointing to Bori's desk which was the middle of five columns in the second row. Sarang sat on her left side, closer to the window.

"She is on leave, sir," replied Heyjin, their class representative.

"Your helper isn't here today," he eyed Sarang while saying this. The latter chose to ignore him and looked elsewhere. She could feel eyes on her, even Ahreum cocked her neck in her direction.

Of course, he must be happy to see Sarang defenseless. It would give him another chance to mock her.

"Today, we are going to learn differentiation of integral functions which will be difficult. Especially for you," he pointed at Sarang making her red in face and angry (and embarrassed) at heart. He didnt have to remind her incompetency every freaking time! "So, pay attention. Oh wait, it'd be better if I rather find you a partner. Who's the topper after Ahreum?"


The whole class went dead silent and she prayed deeply that none would say the name of the person coming after Ahreum. She didnt want to face him and feel like a trash all over again. Futhermore, Luhan had scored a perfect 100 in maths in the Spring quater test (even Ahreum couldn't get that). Mr. Sonam won't leave her alone once he has the knowledge that Luhan is the one that comes second to Ahreum.

"Sir, you can keep Ahreum and her together," She heard someone say from the back, much to her relief.

"No, I won't. She will distract her. If possible, I want a boy there. At least she won't move too much."

If he said that, keeping in mind the incident with the chair a month ago then, she had done nothing wrong. She was only moving her chair a little ahead, so that she can write comfortably. She was finally set to write down the equations when he suddenly said that she was distracting the people around her. Later, her classmates came to her saying how they didn't hear anything until Mr. Sonam complained.

"Luhan!"

Her heart stopped. As for luhan who had been pretty careless about it got startled on hearing his name being called.

"Didn't you score perfect marks in Maths?"

She felt all life being out of her.

"But sir-"

"Okay, that's settled! Come here right now." Mr. Sonam said with such authority that even an untamed lion would have obeyed.

Luhan sighed in defeat and started gathering his things where as, Sarang kept on praying that a big hole opens up and them all in. The atmosphere suddenly reverted to normal but with more giggles and whispers. Sarang wanted to strangle Ahreum when she saw how the girl was smiling down her laugh. Her friend was enjoying her torment too much.

The smell of Cologne that resembled the scent after coming from a fresh bath, filled her nose; she didn't have to check whether Luhan had arrived.

"That's how you will sit in my class from now on."

It was amazing how Sarang's neck didn't twist by the speed at which she had turned towards her Maths teacher.

"Where will Bori sit then?" She asked, her voice laced with desperation.

"In Luhan's place, genius."

Uh-oh.

By making her sit in the last bench, in between boys....He just got himself in another person's hate list.

 


Later that evening, as the students left the school ground in excitement, clarity and anticipation, there was one girl who exited the gates with dark, murderous aura surrounding her. Followed suit by her friend who was trying to catch up with the former while carrying two lunch bags.

"Ahreum!"

The said girl came to a stall and looked back. Her heart flipped around uncomfortably yet, in a desirable way.

"Jimin," she cursed on hearing her voice all squeaky and nervous. Clearing again, she called him again. "Jimin."

"Yo, what's up?" He smiled cheekily at her, making her heart do the flip flops again.

"Going to visit Bori." Ahreum answered beaming him a smile. Ahreum had missed this guy dearly. They couldn't talk on phone (thanks to her grandma) and both were too busy to meet. He had been busy practising for the dance competition being held on their summer break and she had been occupied with school and...family.

Jimin hugged the girl tightly. It surprised her at first and she nearly lost the grip on the lunchbags.

She laughed at how childishly he was jerking both their bodies sideway while hugging; it was heartwarming.

"What did we talk about PDAs?"

"I haven't seen you properly for days. I missed you, okay?"

Ahreum rolled her eyes. "Fine fine, but release me. It is getting uncomfortable with people starimg at us."

"Let them! I want to show them how much i love you."

"No, Jimin. I am going to faint due to lack of oxygen."

He released her instantly. "Sorry."

His eyes then travelled to the two lunch bags she was holding. He offered to carry it for her which she denied. It would have been a chore. But in the end, Jimin managed to convince her to let him carry it for her. 

"How's it going with your grandma? Any improvement?" He asked as they started walking.

Ahreum shook her head sadly. "She is being more vigilant. I can't speak to my friends without keeping it in loudspeaker."

He signed roughly, making her worried. "Are you okay?"

"It would be a lie if I say I am fine. I cannot talk to you normally."

She tsked before ruffling his hair.

"It will be fine," Ahreum assured. "Bear with it for a while. She is going back after my exams. I need to go left from here," Ahreum said stopping in a junction.
Ahreum looked at him like he was an alien when he insisted to visit Bori too.

"I don't think she would like a visitor especially if it's a boy," Ahreum tried to reason with him.

"She is my best friend!" He laughed, "She would be pleased to see me."

Ahreum doubt they ware anywhere near best friends but, let him come.

 

 

And as expected, Bori nearly kicked him out of her house even in her hoarse, drowsy and sick condition. It was Ahreum who had to stop her friend from dropping her boyfriend from the top floor of the building they were currently in.