Chapter 5

Taste of Coffee

After an eventful day yesterday, Sarang's whole body ached. She couldn't even garner up the energy to get out of her bed to eat or drink. But she had to drag her body out of her bed when her sister barged in her room, shouting at how lazy she is and how she should be doing something efficient.

With a tired yawn, she recalled how Ahreum laghed when they told her about getting lost and all the events that unfolded after that. Even though Ahreum complained about not being there with them, her tone didn't sound mournful at all. 

Sarang scoffed. She must have had fun in her little date. 

It was evening already when Sarang had decided to go back to sleep again when her phone beeped. It was a message from Bori.

I forgot about maths test tomorrow. Did you start?

Sarang groaned. Her head dropped on her pillow and her body became more lethargic than it was before. Maths test completely flew out of her head. How was she supposed to remember it when Mr grouchy Sonam told them about it a month ago? She can barely remember the formula taught in class on friday let alone the test.

Thus, her Sunday ended with her whole body aching and her head tolerating both the pain of her body and the pain of memorizing formulas. It also ended with mantras of curses dedicated for her maths teacher. 

 

 

Monday was a wonderful day for Sarang. She was still tired, she didnot finish practising maths and she had missed her bus. The walk to her school was 20 minutes and it was raining heavily. Her sister refused to give her a lift to school which ended up with her walking all the way. She wondered why her sister couldn't be half as nice as Sehun's father. Tch. 

"Oh my gun! Look at your bag. You cloths are half drenched too," Ahreum commented, shuddering a little when she saw Sarang in the hallways. 

Sarang unlocked her locker and shoved her book bag inside. Her umbrella was open and drying near other umbrellas which were open for the same reason. The hallway was almost blocked by umbrellas. Taking out her track cloths along with a pair of dry socks and shoes, she headed for the toilet. Ahreum trailed behind her.

"My sister refused to give me a lift. That cranky lady. I think she is taking out her frustration for not being able to find a love life over me."

Ahreum laughed. "Like you are any successful! Oh wait, you DO have a love life! I forgot about Luhan."

"Ahreum, are you feeling cold?"

She nodded. "It is raining and breezy. Why?"

"Because i am going to hug you."

"What! No! Stay away!" 

No matter how much Ahreum screeched and ran, Sarang still ended up hugging her. Both of them ended up laughing and changing into their tracks after that. 

The reason why Sarang hated Monday wasn't because it was the first day of the week. It was because they had block periods of maths. That is why she hated Mondays and Thursdays. Moreover, it was the first two lessons. 

We also have a test, Sarang thought bitterly. The omens she received since morning told her that her day won't end good. 

"Don't worry," Bori said smugly. "I brought a secret weapon." 

"What weapon?" Sarang and Ahreum asked. 

"Ta-da! It's a carbon paper!" 

The sound of the rain supplemented by the noise of the class was what was heard for a minute. The bespectacled girl wiggled her eyebrows up and down as if waiting for them to applause. 

"You can't be serious Bori," Sarang eyed her warily.

"Well, i didnot finish covering the whole topic and i am adamant not to write 100 impositions. So why not?" She smiled cheekily. "We have Ahreum."

"You are crazy," Ahreum laughed. "We will get caught!“

"Tsk. It is not like he is strict. He has taken so many tests that people have stopped taking it seriously. Remember when Minhyuk had an argument with Sir Sonam WHILE we were taking the test?"

Well, Sarang and Ahreum didn't argue on that. Their maths teacher wasn't everyone's favorite and for that very reason he was hardly taken seriously. Sarang weighed the possibilty of getting caught and the possibility of failing. They weren't going to be the only people cheating. She was sure. However, if she failed, Mr grouchy Sonam will not leave any space for mercy and insult her endless. 

"I am in," Sarang said as she high-fived Bori. Both of them turned towards Ahreum who simply shrugged while snorted. 

"I was in from the beginning. But how will you copy? Your place belongs to Luhan during maths period."

"I know. I guess i will have to take a risk by not giving up this position."

The first bell rang and before all the students could have arrived, their punctual maths teacher entered. 

"Where is everyone? Come quickly!" 

Jinki was the unlucky one who got hit harshly on the arms while going to his seat. Others quickly scampered away. In all this hustle, Luhan entered the room like he owned the place. 

Sarang scoffed. Gone was the nervousness she felt when she last saw him. She was back to disliking him... a little less than before though. Just a little. 

"Well, fast! We dont have much time. We will use the next period for the test."

"See!" Bori cheered lowly. "I had a hunch he would be in a rush."

 

 

 

"That was close! Lucky the bell rang!" Bori sighed while both her friends were too busy laughing. Sarang still couldn't believe their Maths teacher fell for that alibi. But again, he was too busy arguing with backbenchers to notice their little cheating. Bori just got lucky. He was in a hurry to believe that the paper containing Ahreum's answers was Bori's rough and not some cheat code to pass their test. 

"I can't believe he did that again," Oh Sehun bellowed catching the whole class' attention. Baekhyun's seat (which was two seats to the left of Sehun) was vacant. The boy was absent. 

Sarang cranesd her neck to see what was happening. Oh Sehun had his face planted on both his palms in a dejected way. Sarang felt sorry for that guy. The person Mr. Grouchy was yelling at was Oh Sehun. For some unknown reason that guy hated Sehun and always targetted the poor boy just like he does to her. 

"Sarang," Ahreum pulled her attention from him. "Want to go to toilet? We still have five minutes."

"Yeah. Bori?" 

The said girl shook her head before letting her face fall flat on the table. 

“Oh! By the way what's the next period?"

"English," Ahreum replied. 

 

Mr. Ji Suk was absent... again. It was a happy moment for the class until Mr Grouchy entered the class again. His entrance was marked by series of groan and when he announced he was the substitute souls left many bodies. Unlike before when he didn't comment on Bori or Luhan, this time he barked at both of them to switch. Bori left mumbling curses while Luhan came looking annoyed. 

"This is troublesome," Luhan murmured. Sarang grew alarmed when he turned towards her with scrutinizing gaze. "You are annoying."

She blinked. And when it finally clicked her brain she huffed incredulously.

"Excuse me? What is your problem you bipolar piece of crap!"

"Shut up. My brain needs less of you."

"You have a rotten temper and i don't understand why i have to be at the receiving end of it all the time."

Maybe it was because Sarang was too busy glaring at him that she didn't notice Mr. Grouchy Sonam standing in front of her desk. Luhan was massaging his head using his palms the loud voice of their maths teacher surprised him. 

"You," he bellowed so dangerously that the whole class fell silent. Sarang felt her whole blood drain and her heart flip flopping in fright. "You are always distracted. It doesn't help when i put Luhan near you too! You are disturbing him too!"

She would have defended herself, but she doubt whether he will even listen. She felt accused again. Last time also, he had falsely accused her of making noise when she had done nothing, it wasn't her fault that her brain was slow in maths and even now. For a moment her eyes turned towards Luhan wondering if he had any knowledge of what he started. 

"You are getting more bold day by day. Give me your parent's number."

Sarang's eyes widened. A rush of murmurs swept the whole class and now she felt more embarrased.

"I said give me your parent's number," he repeated while taking out his phone. 

Although Sarang wanted to cry, she kept her dignity and mustered every energy in her to give him her sister's number without choking. 

Sarang hated Monday. Not because it was the first day of the week, but because she ended up crying in the toilet during lunch. Her thoughts travelled to her classmates consoling her. It was embarrasing. Her thoughts also travelled to the boy who was the cause of it all: Luhan. Her tears were also the result of her anger towards that boy. 

Sarang left out when she felt confident enough. She was surprised see her friends and Oh Sehun looking stupidly at her.

"Look, i know you don't even want to talk about Luhan hyung right now, but..." he scratched his neck, "he told me about what happened in the class earlier and even though he might look like he doesn't care, i know he feels sorry."

It made her more angry. 

"If he is so sorry then why isn't he the one apologizing? Sehun, i think i have had enough with his abrupt behaviours. Does he ever think twice before throwing allegations at me? What did i even do to him? He didn't even freaking apologize for accusing me for stealing his chain!" 

All three of them were taken aback by her outburst. Ahreum and Bori had never seen their friend so fired up. Sehun, on the other hand, had always seen her smiling or joking in the class that he never expected this kind of reaction. 

Sarang sighed. "You know what. Forget everything i said. I dont want to deal with this right now."

Her luck, however, wasn't as compliant as her friends (and Oh Sehun) because it was in her history period that her teacher Mrs. Song Hye Kyo paired her with Luhan. Their assignment carried 20 marks of their Class assessment and it was due a month later. 

The topic of the assignment?

The Heros of History and their contribution to shape the nation of today. 

 

Dumb luck.