# Prologue

Taste of Coffee

The first time Sarang had an actual talk with Luhan was after they got picked as partners, randomly. Their english teacher Mr.Ji suk Jin, a man in his 60s who wore thick black rimmed glasses, had matched random roll numbers and declared them as their pair. Sarang, unfortunately, wasn't so lucky as her friends and ended up with Luhan, the boy with coffee brown hair and clear black pupils who aced in both sports and academy. The Go Mi Nam next door. Not surprisingly enough, he is one of the most popular boys in their school.


And Sarang wasn't so keen to work with him even though it was only for a period. You see, besides being absolutely gifted, he is also nonchalant and rude. His blatant answers and gestures were quite hurtful.


The task Mr. Ji Suk Jin had given them was to portray the characters and the emotions in the story "Nothing Spoils the taste of peanut butter than an unrequited love" by Clark Gesner in form of a short skit. Sarang found it quite unreasonable because first of all, the story didn't have many characters; it only had a boy and a girl in a cameo role. The rest of how the skit goes depends on the person playing as the boy. There was nothing to do exactly. A short narration would be done after which the boy starts saying his thoughts. It would end with the girl locking eyes with the boy and him cowering behing his book.


It was the same for all...no element of suprise, no nothing. It didn't even include grades which made Mr.Ji suk Jin's efforts to provide "diversity" to the students (as they say) was pretty much transparent.


Her misery extended longer when their english teacher disappeared for two days and Mrs. Song, the substitute teacher, bellowed commands to them to sit in order of pairs selected by Mr. Suk Jin. The latter had requested Mrs. Song especially to make them practice for the task he had given them. Her, being a diligent teacher that she is, didn't listen to any complaints and successfully carried out her responsibility.


But what Mrs. Song or Mr. Sukjin didnt know was how trashy and uncomfortable the pretty boy Luhan made her feel like. He didn't say them but...well...she assumed he felt that way.


Now imagine how relieved she felt on seeing Mr. Sukjin the next day during assembly. It may be the only time she felt so delighted to see a teacher.


There were two English periods that day and thus, everyone could finish it in one day. The skit scarely took 30 seconds each, anyway.


""Is she so great and I'm so small, that she can't spare one little moment? ...SHE'S LOOKING AT ME!! SHE'S LOOKING AT ME!!""


Sarang, on cue, looks at Luhan who hides his head behind a book. If it weren't her playing the stupid role of the boy's unrequited love (in the story) she would have laughed at how dryly Luhan spoke his dialogues. It was stiff and robotic. 

"Okay, good!" Mr. Sukjin clapped (he would have sweat-dropped on seeing Luhan, figuratively). "You can go back to your seats. Next!"
The next pair came infront of the class and started their act.

 

Sarang thought it was her last time to ever deal with Luhan. Because besides Mr. Sukjin, who is obsessed with random selections, other teachers stuck with group projects. And even if she gets into the same group as him she won't have to deal with him as closely as in a pair work.


To her dismay, she was wrong.


"I didn't know you were that desperate to have my attention," Luhan came up to Sarang who was eating her lunch with her friends.


She craned up her neck to see him standing tall beside her, with looks full of what she deciphered as disgust. The first expression she ever saw on his normally bored face and she didn't know whether that was a good thing or a bad.

All the remaining people in their class started looking at them with interest. Even her friends gave both of them confusing glances.


Narrowing her eyes, she asked, "What are you talking about?"


He scoffed. "Are you going to play innocent now?"


Sarang felt her nerves constricting in both irritation and anger. This boy came out of nowhere and openly mocked her for no apparent reason.


"I have no idea whatsoever of what you're talking about."


"I know girls like you who play dumb just to get close to boys. So drop your act."


When in the universe did she ever "play dumb" with him? As far as her memory calls, she didn't want to have anything to do with him or his pretty face. His undeniable looks that made her almost fall for him dissipated instantly when she saw how harshly he had ignored the girl who confessed to him. They were freshmen that year. It's their second year now.


"You might as well go blind if you can't tell from act and reality. I seriously don't know what you are talking about. "


"You stole my ring necklace."


hung open. Her hearing senses became extra sensitive and picked up the endless gasps and murmurs floating around. Her friends were shocked by his allegation too. They knew she wouldn't do such a thing especially because Sarang didn't like him, for starters, as he had said. And even if she did like him, she wouldn't drop so low as to steal a boy's locket.


"Excuse me!" Sarang stood up. "I am being framed for something I didn't do! Why would I steal your stupid little necklace!"


She noticed his jaw tighten up. "That is not a stupid nacklace! It's something very important to me!"


"I still don't have it!"


"Then do you think those girls lied to me? They said that they have seen you holding a ring!"


Sarang huffed before showing to him, her left hand. "This is that ring!"


Luhan drifted his gaze from her scrunched up face to her index finger which had a pearl ring on it.


It was anything but his ring. His was a plain platinum one, chained  with a silver chain, to wear it around his neck.


"Luhan hyung!"


Both of them snapped at the boy who came running in.


"Here's your necklace!" Baekhyun said, showing the necklace in front of him as soon as he reached luhan's side. "I saw it on the floor near your locker. It might have slipped off of you while you were walking."


Nobody spoke a word.... The whole class went into pin drop silence even if there were only some students in it. Only Beakhyun looked around in confusion.

"Here's your locket," he handed Luhan his necklace whose chain had been broken. "I am going back to the canteen. See you in next class."


Luhan broke the ice by his sigh. "So the girls misunderstood."


With that said, he left the class room leaving a baffled, angry Sarang behind. The least she expected was to hear a simple sorry! After all the embarrassment he put her through!

Oh, now that she had experienced his arrogance with all her being, she disliked him more than before!


"Calm down," she heard Bori say. "He is not worth it."


"Let's eat our lunch before the bell rings," Ahreum said while making the fuming girl sit down.


"I can't believe that guy! And you-" she pointed at her two friends, "didn't even support me back then!"


Bori shrugged. "We know you wouldn't do that. So the argument was on your favor from the start and besides, I wanted to see that arrogant pretty boy get embarrassed. "


Sarang gave her an incredulous look. "He disregarded me by not even apologizing! And also, your mind works in a twisted way. Do you know that?"


Bori smirked, pushing up her glasses.

 

That incident happened two months ago from the current time and ever since that day, Sarang stopped wearing her ring. 

 

And that was how it all started.