Chapter 8

Taste of Coffee

Three days aren't enough to understand how calculus works with all it's missing x and y, but it was enough to tell how Luhan is when annoyed. Sarang had experienced it multiple times that she had perfected the art of distingushing his annoyance from his typical demeanor.

Scene one:

Day: Wednesday.

Time: 3:30 pm

Place: Public Library

Description: Luhan had called her after the visit to the temple for the assignment.

"Kim Micheon?" 

Sarang gulped. She tried not to get carried away by the eye bag underneath his eyes.

"Y-yeah."

"There aren't much sources about him," He said again without breaking the eye contact. 

"The-" Saramg cleared when her voice came out weak. "There aren't"

A long stare from Luhan and Sarang knew she HAD to find a new assignment topic.

Quickly picking up a random history book from the pile, she flipped through the pages. 

 

scene two:

Day: Thursday

Time: 10:05 am

Place: School library

Description: Assignment.

"Did you collect the information about his achievements?" Luhan asked. He was looking through the notes with his reading glasses on. 

"Yeah," Sarang proudly said as she dumped the book she had borrowed from the library. 

Luhan averted his eyes from his red diary to the thick bronze covered book. 

Noticing his questionimg eyes, she replied, "I underlined every important information."

He eyed the book like it was a runaway criminal before releasing a defeated sigh. Pinching his nose bridge, he asked her to recite him those information so he chould jot it down in his diary. 

Sarang happily obliged. Her smiling face, however, was replaced by a frown when she failed to find the page. She flipped the book again. Her movements became more frantic with time. 

Sarang stopped when she felt him put down his glasses and stare at her. Slowly lifting her face up to face him, she beamed him the most sweet smile she could muster. 

"Sorry?"

 

 

Scene three:

Day:Friday

Time: 1:45pm

Place: Classroom

Description: i .... 

"Look at poor Sungjae," said Bori ruefully. "He looks just as bad as you."

Both Sarang and Bori watched at the duo- Ahreum and Sungjae- from their seats. Both of them were at the front row discussing about the assignment. It was a free period and more than half the students had disappeared. 

Sarang sympathized with Sungjae. He looked sullen and sleep deprived. Literally, both of them can compete with each other over the title of having the biggest eyebags.

Sigh. Ahreum may be her best friend, but she is as merciless as Luhan when it comes to academics. 

"Being a top student Is no joke," Sarang said lifelessly. 

Bori pulled up her specs. "I am lucky i didn't get Ahreum or Luhan."

Sarang nodded. "At least that girl GLARES. Luhan...he doesn't say ANYTHING! He does this-this...i don't know...this "staring" thing and doesn't day anything. Do you have any idea how scary that is? I have no idea what he has in that intelligent brain of his and he is so calm that i feel like something is going to strike at me! YOU UNDERSTAND? HE IS MAKING ME SO FREAKING PARANOID!" 

Before Sarang had noticed, her voice had elevated to the point that it had become a shout.

Ahreum and Sungjae were stunned. The remaining students in her class were also glancing her way. When Sarang finally came to her senses, it was too late. Bori was wearing an awkward smile as her eyes tried telling Sarang to look sideways. 

.

There stands Luhan with his usual poker face, staring at her like how everyone was. Wait, scratch that. He WASN'T staring at her like everyone. It was the same look he gave her when she lost her notes or the time when she didn't do a thorough research on King Micheon's life.

The small charge in his eyes told her he was annoyed. 

 

 

As soon as their Economics teacher left the class, Sarang tried to pry her way to Luhan.

She was an arms distance from him when Sehun broke between them. She watched in slow motion as both the boys walked away before she could have even reacted. 

A defeated sigh left from as she slumped on a chair. 

"Hey."

She looked up at the girl who tapped her lightly on the shoulder. 

"Mind if i say something?" Jieun said, beaming innocently at her.

 

 

 

 

This brings her back to the present. Standing in front of public library, carrying her maths textbook and a box of homemade cake. She went inside feeling fulfilled and proud that she came to a public library to STUDY. She couldn't wait to tell her friends about it. It would be fun to see their reaction. 

"Sarang!" 

Jieun cowered and apologized when she was met with numerous glares. Sarang pursed her lips in an attempt to hide her smile when she saw Luhan. She has seen him enough for lifetime to identify even his back profile

"What took you so long?" Jieun whispered while pulling the Sarang next to her seat. 

"Sorry," Sarang whispered to her. Sarang couldn't tell Jieun about her unintentional habit of being late. Not when Luhan was sitting in front of her. She didn't want to add more bad qualities of herself in his list.

Luhan had his earbuds in and was too immersed in his maths book to notice her. On the left of him was Oh Sehun, sleeping on his book. Sarang, for a strange reason, felt a sense of understanding when she saw Sehun sleep. She, more than anyone, know how boring and comfortable books are to sleep on.

"What is that?" Jieun pointed at the box. 

"Cake. Wait, why are you looking at me."

Jieun passed her a playful smile. "For Luhan?“

"W-what?" Sarang thanked god that Luhan was too busy with his book. "Jieun, i think we have a misunderstading here. It's not-" 

It was when Jieun laughed that Luhan really looked up. Even Sehun shifted awake from his sleep. 

"Where am i?" Came Sehun's drowsy reply. He looked around him before falling back to sleep. 

"Tsk this guy," Jieun grimaced seeing Sehun. But when she saw a Luhan, bigger fool than Sehun, she snorted. "Don't tell me you didn't really notice her."

Luhan's confused face made both Sarang and Jieun shake their heads. 

I rest my case, Sarang thought. Luhan had officially ranked first in her book of hopelessness. 

"Sarang even made a cake for-"

"Cake?" Sehun shot up instantly surprising everyone. "Where's the cake?" He said, shaking every ounce of sleep from his head.

"It's only an apology cake! Nothing else!" 

A round of shush and glares were aimed at Sarang. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Pay attention." 

Sarang glared at him as she rubbed her poor head.

"Don't hit me! It hurts!" 

"Pay attention then," he sighed. 

"Whatever," Sarang grumbled before listening to whatever Luhan was teaching her. She had to agree, he was a good teacher. He was slow and calm and would hit her every once in a while (with his pencil) when she gets lost. They had almost covered a unit and if they keep up with these pace, they would be able to cover the other two units as well. 

Hehehe so a day where i will be ready for exam does come!

When Sarang came to the library carrying her maths book, she never intended to literally study. She was supposed to give Luhan the cake, apologize for what she said in the class and go home. But Jieun's insistence and Sehun's cutesy made her stay. Of course, Sarang should have known that it was Jieun's conspiracy because soon the girl left for some work dragging Sehun with her. In the end, it was Luhan, her and maths...and plenty other people shushing someone every once in a while.

Being in the library and forcing herself to study was the most boring thing she ever did in her life. She didn't realize she was dozing off until Luhan forced the book out beneath her elbows (she nearly crashed face flat on the table). It was after that, he started teaching her. His earphone left forgotton on the table.

"Luhan." 

He hummed. His focus was solely on the equation.

"It's lunch."

"Okay." 

Did he even hear her? 

"Luhan!" 

Now, he looks. 

"It's lunch. Lets go eat? Do you even talk human?" 

Luhan sniggered at her expression. "You must be really hungry to pull off that ugly expression." 

"The point is, let's go get some lunch! Not my ugly expression!"

Without a glance, he turned back to his equation which baffled Sarang. She quickly grabbes his earphones when she noticed him reaching for it.

She didn't care if he was annoyed; she wanted a break from studying and it cannot be done without a friend. 

"Give me that."

"No."

"Give me that." 

"No." 

"No?"

"No."

With narrowed eyes, he tried to grab her right hand (which had the earphone), but she quickly placed it behind her. 

"Luhan, all i am asking for is a break."

"I am not stopping you," he replied as he tried to pry his earphone from her. Unfortunately, with the position Sarang had hid it, it was too compromising for luhan to just grab it. 

"You don't get it, do you? Tsk." 

Releasing a breath, Luhan stopped reaching for his earphone.

"For the last time, you are not going to give it back, are you?"

Smugly, she shook her head. 

She should have known better. What happened took her breath away.

She gasped when Luhan pulled her arm towards him. Her heart started beating fast when their faces were just inches apart. She could smell his shampoo from this distance amd before she could have stopped herself, her eyes connected with his brown orbs.

Eyes are the window to the soul.

It made her heary drum faster.

"There."

Sarang snapped out as two earbuds dangled in between them. 

Quickly pushing the boy away, she scampered away from the place. Sarang could still hear her heart beating wildly and she bet every treasure she has in the world that her face might be burning as hot as the sun as well.

 

Scene four:

Day: Saturday

Time:10:30pm

Place: Her room.

Description: i have to stop thinking about it and study!