Chapter 5

Village Boy

When they got back to the flat Mark helped his grandpa serve the food. Ever since Jackson had moved he had been eating with both Mark and his grandpa. He really liked it. For once he had someone who he could talk to--someone who cared enough to listen to what he had to say. The three of them where eating when suddenly there was a loud noise outside followed by rain. It was raining cats and dogs at the same time as thunder began to shake the earth as it consistently touched the ground. 

Ever since Jackson had moved from the city it had never rained so badly. 

-Mark...everything is okay Mark- grandpa carefully said. 

Just then Jackson noticed the change of mood in Mark. The said boy had turned pale and had began to shake. Jackson was confused and worried to say the least. 

-Grandpa, what's happening to Mark?- Jackson had never seen the brunette react that way. It scared him. 

-Mark, child...breath. Nothing will happen, Ka-Yee and I are here- grandpa reached over to Mark and pulled him into a tight hug. 

Thunder continued to fall causing the until now silent boy to screm in fear. 

-Grandpa...-Jackson was still confused. Grandpa hadn't answered his question. What was going on? 

-I'll explain later. Right now I need you to come and help me with Mark. Take him over to the couch and please don't leave his side. What he needs the most right now is to feel safe. I am going to go make him some tea. Sometimes it helps him calm down. 

Grandpa stood up gaining a whimper and a scared look from the boy who with his eyes pleaded his grandpa to stay. 

-It's okay Mark. Ka-Yee will keep you safe. I'll go make you some tea alright?- the brunette gave him a small nod. 

Jackson then grabbed Mark by the hand and lead him to the couch. They both sat there but what Jackson hadn't expected was for Mark to curl up to him. His small framed body now tucked under Jackson's muscular arm with most of his weight on the Hong Kong native's chest. His body was still shaking and tears now welled up in his eyes. he look so vulnerable right now. 

Jackson pressed the brunette closer to his chest, if that was even possible, and brought his hand to rest on the boys slim waist. 

--It'll be alright Mark. Don't be scared, I'm here...I'll always be here- Mark responded only by grasping Jackson's shirt in his hands. 

From the kitchen could see what was happening a few meters away. A small smile made its way to his wrinkled face. 

-You know...he's afraid of thunder. 

Jackson turned his head to look at the old man eyebrows furrowed. It was obvious to Jackson that Mark was afraid, but why? Yes, thunder can be scary but there seemed to be something more behind Mark's fear. 

Grandpa seems to have noticed Jackson's confusion becuase he continued his explanation. 

-I don't know if Mark has told you this, but I found him walking along a deserted street when he was only a child.

-Yeah, he told me after we met. 

-Well, when I found him it had been raining nonstop. Thunder constantly continued to fall from the sky. He was completely alone...he had been walking for a while. Thunder, especially, brings back memories of that day. The images of losing his family still hunts him. Every time there is thunder he gets like this...- grandpa finished with a sigh. 

Jackson looked down to Mark who had fallen asleep in his embrace. He hadn't noticed how unconsciously his hand had been drawing conforting circles on Mark's back lulling him to sleep. 

Seeing Mark like this made Jackson want to protect him. There was no longer any reason to continue pining around. He liked Mark. The boy made him feel like no one else had before. 

Unknowingly, the Hong Kong native ran his thumb over the boy's cheeks cleaning the tears he had shed before falling asleep. 

-He feel asleep quite quickly there. It always takes me forever to calm him down. Its better to take him to bed. The rain hasn't seized to fall. If he's in bed he might not wake up if another thunder falls. 

-I can take him, that way he doesn't get disturbed- Jackson said as he stood up and grabbed the brunette boy bridal style and took him to his room. Grandpa went along to help tuck Mark in. 

Jackson slowly placed him in the bed and attempted to retreat back when suddenly Mark grabbed his wrist. The boy's eyes were still closed, however. 

-Ka-Yee...please stay...-he said almost inaudibly.

-Mark, I...

-Go ahead  Ka-Yee. I don't mind you staying. Mark needs you right now. 

Jackson looked down at the boy who still held his hand tightly. He really couldn't find it in himself to say no. 

-Okay...

It's going to be a long night