Chapter III

Break Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter III

 

Seohyun stared at the two of her friends sitting in front of her. They were at their favorite restaurant, a traditional-modern Korean restaurant twenty minutes away from their respective agencies. Ever since they arrived, both of them haven’t said a word, except their casual greetings and when they asked her how she was and about her schedules. As much as she wanted to ask for answers, she wasn’t about to start the conversation. Secretly, she was enjoying them being uncomfortable and fidgeting on their sits. They clearly weren't sure how to act at the moment. The other member, Jonghyun, wasn’t able to make it because he had a sudden schedule. Somehow, she felt that he just made an excuse not to face her. They knew that she was pissed at them.

     She snickered. Good. At least, they knew what they did.

     They were saved by the uncomfortable silence when the waiter entered their booth to get their order.

     “What are we having?” Minhyuk asked the both of them while looking at the menu.

     “Just order anything and we’ll share. Like the usual,” Junshin said, not even looking at the menu.

     She and Minhyuk exchange a look and shook their heads, knowing that Jungshin was too lazy to look at the menu but decided to do what he just said.

     Taking a deep breath, Seohyun broke the silence.

    “So no one of you will speak?” she asked the two in front of him when she couldn’t handle the it anymore.

     “No?” she asked when she was answered with silence. They just looked at each other. “Then I will talk. I’m really upset with you guys. We agreed to see each other as much as we can but you have been ignoring me for months,” she said, annoyance and hurt clear in her voice.

     “And don’t even think about saying not being in Korea. I know your schedule,” she pointedly looked at them, knowing they were going to us their busy schedule overseas as an excuse.

     “But we really we’re in Japan last week,” Minhyuk reasoned out.

     Lifting a brow, she countered, “What about the other weeks? I know you were here. And you don’t need to be in Korea to call me or message me.

     Having no answer and knowing they were really guilty, Jungshin and Minhyuk both just didn’t say anything. Both of them couldn’t look straight at her and just bowed down their heads.

     It was Minhyuk who spoke for the both of them after a moment. “We’re sorry. We just thought you needed space from us.”

     Annoyance crept into her when she heard their answer. “Ah michiganne jinjja. These guys,” she said, shaking her head, exasperated.

     Sighing, she leaned back at her chair and calmed herself. They were all affected by the break-up, she knew that. But after hearing what they said, she didn’t really have no idea on how it affected her friends. Looking at them, she realized that they really must have been uncomfortable and clueless on how to act around her. Their connection was their leader and without that connection, they must have been lost.

    Seohyun knew there was no point in being angry at them. They were put in an uncomfortable and unfamiliar situation. Have it been her, she would have no idea on what to do either. And knowing that they did it not to intentionally hurt her but to give her space and a chance to move on warmed her heart. To be honest with herself, them distancing themselves helped out a little.

     At least now, it seemed like they were finally done giving her space.

     “Thank you but let’s not do that again. Arrasseo?” She pointed at the both of them, her voice a little threatening.

     Letting out a sigh, they both looked sheepishly at her both and nodded their heads, clearly relieved that they were off the hook.

    “Yah, don’t smile yet! I will surely make you pay for what you did,” she threatened but they just gave her a big smile, knowing she can’t stand being angry at them, which was true.

     “Let’s make it official. If you break the promise, I won’t ever forgive you.” She held a promise sign with her fingers for which they took, sealing the promise.

 

 “Matta, chakaman. We forgot something.”

     Jungshin stood up and left their table, just after their food was served. He came back holding a bunch of paper bags.

     “We got these for you. From Japan. Peace offering.”

     Looking at the paper bags, she raised her eyebrow at them, “You came prepared.”

    Jungshin shrugged but with a sheepish smile again on his face.

    “Ah jinjja.” Excitedly, she took the bad and immediately checked its content, making the two laugh.

    Inside one of the bags were sweet tomato snacks, the one they always give her when they come home from Japan. Seohyun knew they got this from the Kawagoe, a place that is famous for its sweet potato in Japan. It was a place where she and Yonghwa visited when they were still in the virtual marriage program together. She also found a Channel 5 perfume and a Channel shoe box on the other bags. Inside of it was a black sneaker.

     “Omo! Jinjja yeppoeda!” she exclaimed, really loving the shoes. She took it out of the box to have a good look at it.

     They laughed at her reaction, pleased that the loved what they got her.

     “We also have ours. Couple shoes. Ours are also black.”

     “Jinjja? Monchun yeppoeda. I’ll wear it often. Tell me when you will wear it so I can also wear mine,” she suggested, but was already of thinking wearing to their practice.

       After gushing over the shoes a little bit more, she turned to her friends, a beaming smile on her face. “Komawo. You didn’t have to buy me a lot though.”

     They both shook their head. “Anieya.”

     Seohyun arranged all the gifts and put the paper bags on the sit beside her. “I also have something for you guys.”

     “Jinjja?”

     “Hmmm.” She turned to reach for the paper bags at the back of her sit. “I passed by a music store while I was walking around in China. I thought of you guys so I decided to check it out,” she explained while handing them the paper bags, their names on the little tag on the handle.

     “Ah jinjja?”

     It was her time to laugh at how excited the two were. They immediately opened the paper bag the paper bag with their name on it, just like she did a with their presents. It reminded her of kids opening Christmas or birthday presents.

     “Wah.” Minhyuk held out the drum sticks from its box, admiring them.

     “I didn’t know what to buy so I asked the owner. He recommended them.” She got Minhyuk a drumstick set, with a box and Jungshin guitar straps.

       Minhyuk running his fingers on his name on both the drumsticks and on the box. “It’s personalized.”

     She smiled and nodded. Aside from their band name, she also had their names, birthdays and signatures on their gifts.  

     “Wah. They’re did a really good job.” Jungshin was also admiring his guitar straps.

     “Jinjja yeppeoda.”

     Minhyuk was looking closely at his embedded signature on the drum sticks. “How did they do the signature? It’s exactly the same.”

     “I looked up for a picture of your signatures online si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter