The End of The Night

The Night After The Wedding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Reminder: Blue is Siwon, Orange is Kyuhyun, Red is Aiden, Green is Eunhyuk, Purple is for Sungmin or Saeun and Black is narration.

Before I start the actual chapter, let's go back to the time when these 4 guys were heading towards the beach house:

Aiden and Eunhyuk are walking hand in hand whereas Kyuhyun and Siwon are walking casually. Siwon gets a phone call. He is a bit surprised to see the caller but shrugs and cuts it off. The call comes again. Kyuhyun insists him to pick it up. He excuses himself and stops on his spot while the other 3 continue walking.

Hello. Why on earth are you calling me now?! This is your special night. Spend it with your wife.

Hello oppa... Its me, Saeunnie. You won't believe what I did for you...

Saeun? Why are you calling me on Sungmin's number? What is going on?! And you sound really drunk.

Oppa....(somebody shouts from behind) Hello, Siwon? Sorry. Saeun is too drunk so she's randomly calling you. 

Yah Sungmin! Take care of your wife. I'm cutting the call now... (thinks something) Wait!

What happened?

Saeun told that she did something for me. What is it?

Ah. So my darling spilt the beans huh? Actually... 

Sungmin tells something which makes Siwon smile widely. He looks in the direction of the 3 guys walking towards the beach house.

Oh really? Thanks a lot bro... Ah yes, enjoy your night! (beep.. the phone's cut) Just wait Kyu.

Time: 5:45 a.m.

Kyuhyun is outside the beach house, walking towards the ocean. Siwon follows him and tries to catch up.

Kyuhyun? (yells out) Kyuhyun! What are you doing here?

Oh, hey. Sorry. It got a bit stuffy in there…my head was spinning…I thought I’d come out here and take a walk. I need to think…or stop thinking. You can go back inside if you want.

Okay.

Siwon starts to walk down the beach, just a few feet behind him.

What are you doing?

Walking back to the house...(looks at him) just taking the scenic route.

They walk down the beach, with Kyuhyun walking up front, and Siwon following him just a couple feet behind.

Those two (gestures to Eunhyuk and Aiden back at the house)…they're so cute.

Young love. So pure and magical, isn’t it? Although they seem so much smarter than we used to be. I mean, you were always smart, I was always a little...

Behind?

Speaking of behind...have I told you how much I love this suit you're wearing? Would you be willing to wear it all the time?

Ha. You wouldn't like it if I wore it all the time...

I'd still like you though...

Young love…(without looking back at him) you know that you’re the only person I’ve ever loved, right?

Why are you telling me that?

Kyuhyun doesn’t respond, just keeps walking.

Why are you thinking about this? (stops walking) I’m not going anywhere, you know. So anytime you want to let me in that beautiful head of yours...

Hearing that, Kyuhyun stops, as he looks at the ocean and Siwon looks at him.

Fine. In your best man speech. At the wedding earlier tonight. You talked like you were missing something, something that the two of them had. And it scared me, so much. And I know why you were upset last night. I know what you were trying to do. I ignored you, I acted like I was too drunk to notice what you were trying to do. I know it’s terrible. I’m terrible. And I know it’s unfair. I’m unfair to you, every day. You should have been looking for someone else, but you found me instead. And because of who you are, you’re always going to stay with me. But you shouldn’t. And I’m sorry. I’ve taken three years of your life and I don’t want you to give the rest of your life to me. You should be out in the world, having and living the adventures you always wanted.

I guess we’re at that point where we’re saying everything in our head out loud. Good. Anything else?

I know about the offer.

What offer?

London School of Economics. The school you love - your college - wants you to come and teach there! Your mom told me. Before this trip. She thought I knew. Why didn’t you tell me about it?

Let's go back inside.

It’s almost 6. The dream is over. Let’s get back to reality.

I thought you’d rather live in this ‘delayed-gratification’ mode until we get back home. Wait...is this why you were acting weird last night when I was...

Kyuhyun rubs his arms with his hands. Siwon walks a little closer to where he’s standing, takes off his jacket, and puts it around him.

(continued) I was upset this morning because I thought you didn’t notice what I was trying to do last night...

Siwon…(looks at him) this is your dream job. If you say no to this because of us…(looks away again) because of me...

(interrupts him) You know, I heard everything you just said, about what you think I should or shouldn’t do...and at no point did you say what you want. You should try saying that out loud. You never ask me for anything, Kyuhyun. I have to keep on guessing what you want. Which is okay most of the time. It feels good to predict what would make you happy. But sometimes it doesn’t work, sometimes I get it wrong. So talk to me. Say what you want. Look - I’ll show you…it’s super easy. Kyuhyun…I want...you to tell me what you want.

I WANT US!! I know it’s selfish but I love you and I don’t want you to ever stop being who you are and loving me the way you do. And I also want you to ask me to marry you so we can make this step and stop being afraid of the future. I want us to have one future, together. (pauses) But I ruined it. I’m really not good at this...

Wow.

More importantly, I want you to take this job. I want to make you happy. And I want you to stay this patient with me forever, so that I can show you in my own way how much you matter to me. And I want us to live a life together where we’re not afraid to say something to each other. (pauses) And I want to get better at doing that last part.

Siwon is quiet.

(impatiently) Now I want you to say something before I hit you.

Time: 6:00 a.m 

Almost sunrise. Eunhyuk and Aiden are standing at the porch, with Eunhyuk’s arm around Aiden and his head on his shoulder.

I think this was definitely in my top five nights of all time.

Night's not over yet.

Sun's coming up. I think it's safe to say the night has to end now.

I have an idea.

What? Let’s get on a train to Spain?!

This Christmas, let’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter