Couple of Couples

The Night After The Wedding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is the triple update so be sure to read the previous chapters!
Here, Blue is Siwon, Orange is Kyuhyun, Red is Aiden and Green is Eunhyuk. Black is for narration.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time: 11:35 p.m.

Aiden sits down at Kyuhyun and Siwon's table.

(to Kyuhyun) You are so cute that I need another drink (finishes his glass of wine and pours another from the bottle in front of Kyuhyun, finishing it in the process) Is this (looks at Siwon, and winks) your boy-toy?

(excitedly) Haha, well, yeah? (confirming with Siwon, then fake-whispers) But he thinks it’s a mutually agreed upon, relationship of equals. Let’s not spoil the fun. Hi! I’m Kyuhyun. This is Siwon.

Nice to meet you, …?

Aiden Lee.

Aiden Lee? (emphasizing 'Lee')

Yes, I'm half Korean-half American. My mom didn't want the surname but my dad insisted to keep it since they had met in Korea for the first time and this surname would remind me of my homeland.

Oh, that's so cute!

...physically! You know the soul to soul connection boom-boom (he makes the appropriate hand gestures)

They all laugh as Eunhyuk enters the scenario.

Let me guess... boom-boom in Korea? It's my favorite place this time of the year!

Baby! Where were you? ( looks at what's in his hands, the wine bottle they borrowed) Oh you!

Aiden kisses Eunhyuk passionately, for quite a few seconds, enough to get Kyuhyun and Siwon to stare uncomfortably, and then stop staring and look at each other…comfortably?

(still holding on to Aiden by his waist, post-kiss) I see you’ve made some friends.

Are you surprised? Guys, this is Eunyuk, the love of all my lives. Eunhyuk, this is Kyuhyun and her husband Siwon.

Boyfriend, actually. Nice to meet you, Eunhyuk.

The boys shake hands. Siwon's ‘boyfriend’ sounded like a designation, like when someone says their current job title even though they think they deserve a promotion - Eunhyuk & Aiden notice this but are inebriated enough to let it go, so as to not make it weird - another feature common within millennials.

It’s great to meet you both. You’re sure we’re not bothering you?

No, no. Not at all. Please join us. We welcome all wine-bearers.

All four sit down, as Eunhyuk refills each of their glasses.

So how do you guys know Saeun and Sungmin? Actually better question…do you know Saeun and Sungmin?

You mean, the bride and groom? Well, we’re not on a first name basis. But I know them well enough to come and crash their party. My parents own this property. Eunhyuk and I just got in a few hours ago.

Wow! You must love living here. It’s…(he looks at Kyuhyun) it’s paradise.

Oh, haha, well I don’t really live here. But I’ve spent a lot of time here growing up.

What about you guys, what brought you to this night?

Siwon went to college with Sungmin and I went with Saeun. Siwon was Sungmin’s roommate, and now his best man.

Is that how you two met too? In college?

Oh no. We met back in Seoul, that’s where we live. That was about...three years ago?

Yeah, three years ago. (he says with self-realization)

Ah, so you’re just here for the wedding?

Yup, flying out tomorrow. Have to get back to reality and the work that comes along with it.

Aw, that’s too bad! We just met!

Yeah, I really wish we could stay. But I have to get back to Seoul, and then fly out to Turkey in a couple days.

Turkey! Beautiful place. Another vacation for you two?

Oh, no. Just me. I run an education non-profit for children, and we’re partnering with another one in Turkey for a center we’re starting there.

That’s wonderful. Eunhyuk was just in Turkey…what, couple months ago? He’s a producer for this amazing documentarian who films these stories about people who history forgets.

That’s fascinating! Are you working on anything right now?

Yeah. I just finished work on this one doc called ‘The Death of Love’…it's about these artists in Europe who through the ages have been predicting the end of human connection and love through their art...

So what did you learn...is love really dead?

Depends on your definition of love. Think about this - a hundred years ago, there were no movies. There were only books and plays and almost all of them had sad, unhappy endings. And people loved it! They went to these plays and read these books and thought - 'Man! I have a great life! I have a loving family or a loving partner or loving kids at least, and clearly there’s people out there who don’t...so good for me! My life isn’t as bad as the ones in the stories. I can be in this story for a few hours and then go back to my life which is better.’ People used to live love stories of their own! Your world was the small town or village you grew up in, and that’s where you found your “soulmates” (he says using air quotes). But now, fast forward to our time, and all real love and happy endings only exist in stories! In real life, we go around from person to person looking for happy endings, but end up writing our own unhappy lives. And screw the location limitations - we can find and date and love and leave anyone on this planet. The world got so much bigger and we can’t stop looking. So now…we’re just a generation of doomed romantics with no happy endings.

The other three just stare at Eunhyuk as he sips his wine. After a few moments of pause, everyone laughs.

(to Aiden) And you’re in love with this guy?! (to Eunhyuk) Look man, I see what you mean. And I agree to an extent that yes in general movies have over-romanticized life. But I see hope too. I think the romanticism of our generation comes from whatever leaks from the screen or the page of a book. We absorb it and - sure, our expectations rise in the process - but we love..love. More than that, we love being in love and being loved by another human being. I do. I think it’s good that every story has be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter