Abracadabra

The Magician's Assistant

   The seemingly-eternal white glove on Hongbin’s right arm was a direct result of that night. His jealousy caused the Evil Eye to come into play. The other magician’s performance during the showcase was ruined, much to everyone’s surprise, causing him to be dismissed after his own props and attire caught fire. The marking didn’t appear on Hongbin’s arm until after his performance with Bunny that night, though.

   The two were at a party with most of the performers from the night’s acts, enjoying drinks and merriment as one would. But the searing pain that shot through Hongbin’s arm took his attention from another patron’s tipsy tomfoolery. He discreetly went to the bathroom, noticing a marking of an eye within a triangle on his right hand in the dim single-use room. Suri noticed Hongbin had been gone for awhile, being bored on her lonesome. She was getting sleepy and just wanted to head home.

   What she walked in on however, was another awkward family reunion just outside the restrooms. This would be Suri’s first time meeting the intimidating Zelos, rabbit form excluded. She slowly made her way over, noticing how the conversation died once she was within earshot.

   Formal introductions aside, she was filled in on the situating at hand.. pun unintended. Zelos had been explaining to Hongbin the cause of the power, jealousy, and of the marking that had appeared, the Evil Eye. It would affect both the cursed and the one inflicting the curse, and the mark was permanent. Unable to show the marking in public, Hongbin adapted the single glove unto his right hand, and Suri wore a shorter one on her left to match him for their shows.

   The curse’s effects wore off on their own, but true to Zelos’ words that rang through Hongbin’s head, the mark remained permanent. A terrible scar that lets him know though he gets his powers from jealousy, it is still a sin.

   Suri never cared though, living her days out both as his assistant Bunny and his girlfriend at home. Taking their accumulated assets into savings, Lee × Bunny announced their hiatus after twelve long years of touring success. Hongbin proposed to Suri, settling down into a new house they’d bought, still making the papers and headlines every so often.

   They broke the hiatus two years later, holding a reunion tour across the globe, using the promotion to bring in some more money before dropping a bomb, so to speak, at the last stop in their hometown. They announced possible retirement, and even hinted at Suri’s pregnancy. God knows how difficult raising magicians’ kids would be, let alone a demigod’s.

   Any slight jealousy would still cause Hongbin’s hand to pulse, the marking a constant reminder of his powers. Much to his shame, it was there to stay, as it happened to his father before him. Suri was always nearby, helping him through his bouts of self-hatred; she kept him grounded, and he’d never feel worthy enough to deserve such a wonderful wife.

   Deep down, Ma Suri would never let her pun of a name die down, loving its meaning and how it resonates with her life. Not only did she become a successful magical performer, not only did she marry a half-human with magical powers, but she also got her fairytale ending… sort of.

   Abra, kadabra, alakazam!