Viral HongBunny

The Magician's Assistant

“TURN ME BACK LEE HONGBIN OR I’LL USE YOUR FINGERS AS CARROTS!”

   He nearly fainted when Suri’s voice left the mouth of his beloved pet.

   Hongbin yelled various incantations, even attempting to offer Suri carrots to stall her pacing form. He had to admit she looked adorable despite her rage, but who was he lying to, he always found her human self attractive.

   One spell seemed to do the trick, as light emitted from her body, then her form stretched out until it appeared human. Her long hair flowed out behind her, the light slowly dissipating. Hongbin threw her clothes at her just in time before looking away; as he’d guessed, she transformed back as bare as her rabbit form had previously been.

   Both flustered, and now both dressed, Suri inched closer to Hongbin on the couch, looking up at his face. Trying to ignore his sheer gorgeousness, down to the plump lips and long lashes (why did boys need such pretty lashes anyway?), Suri cleared . Ironically, it was he who resembled Bambi more, with his shiny doe eyes, constantly filled with wonder. Hongbin tried not to shrink back from her strong gaze, humming softly as a sign of acknowledgement.

   “Um.. I heard everything from under the hat. So, the big guy’s your dad huh?” Hongbin swallowed nervously as Suri spoke, realizing that this was the mistake his father meant. “You’re a demigod, THAT explains why I was frickin’ turned into.. well, a bunny! Couldn’t you have at least warned me before you did that?” She playfully pushed at his arm and scoffed. Much to Hongbin’s amazement, Suri was taking the news... rather well. All things considered, she had a right to be furious, yet had nothing but the excitement and curiosity of a puppy.

   Re-telling his partner his life story in truth, Suri asked questions and gave her own two cents here and there, sharing knowledge about Greek Gods he knew all too well. There was something about the moment Hongbin just couldn’t put his finger on, possibly the sheer excitement of having someone he could talk to about his life, no secrets or lies. He trusted her now, more than ever, jokingly calling her Bunny and loving watching as the blush would rise to her cheeks.

   Due to the snowstorm and power outage, meaning no heater, the duo ended up huddled together for warmth, sharing a fluffy blanket.

   Waking up that morning, Suri reluctantly pulled away from Hongbin’s warmth. Secretly enjoying the fact that his arms had somehow wound around her in his sleep. She was on her way to the bathroom when she was distracted by her buzzing cellphone. She picked it up quickly, trying to silence it so as to not wake the sleepyhead. That plan fell through the roof after checking her notifications, dozens of texts from family and friends all conveying the same message: Your video’s gone viral!

   The scream that ripped through Suri’s throat upon clicking the link to their prior performance woke Hongbin with a jolt. He’d stood up quickly and assumed a fighting stance, only to be met with a bright screen shoved into his face. After reading the message and seeing the video for himself, it all sunk in. Due to his little accident, they were now famous.

   Calls flooded in left and right from that day forth, every talk show and reporter in the country suddenly interested in the famed “HongBunny” duo. Various rumors spread but the two never really told anyone about the trick, only that “magic is more than meets the eye”, which left the nation baffled. During one interview, the host spotted Hongbin’s hand atop Suri’s and then dating rumors ensued.

   They were practically rolling in cash and offers at this point, and were deemed the nation’s magical sweetheart couple when they came forth with their relationship. Hongbin knew since the night Suri found out that he’d kindled feelings along their touring, but never worked up the courage to tell her so. Suri was actually the one to confess, one sunny Spring day in the midst of their crazy schedules, interviewing for a possible agent/manager.

   Because of the viral video that had gained them the spotlight, Suri decided to go by the stage name of Bunny, happy to stay by her lover’s side as his assistant. She never cared about the fame or money, despite her being the one everyone talked about for the crazy flame-hat trick. She’d always insisted the credit for that was deserved by Hongbin, but no one but them would ever truly understand why.

   With the money, Hongbin was able to help cure his ailing mother, no longer at her deathbed and now much healthier, able to take care of herself. Suri’s family couldn’t be prouder of their success, and surprisingly, neither could Hongbin’s own father.

   Zelos himself sent flowers or a gift of sorts to every performance of theirs after “Lee × Bunny” got their own traveling spectacle. However, Hongbin wasn’t the god of jealousy’s son for nothing. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, as they say.

   One day, during a showcase for several famous magic acts (LB included), Hongbin overhead another magician sweet talking his own sweetheart. And much like the spell on poor Suri that first time, accidental magic was unleashed, this being a power that he’d received genetically from his father.

   Hongbin’s jealousy manifested, cursing the fellow performer. Though Suri had rejected the man’s every attempt, it was too late by the time she was back by her partner’s side, snuggled up backstage waiting for their closing act.