IV ♡♡♡

Oh, Ex-Boyfriend Please!

It was another day full of fun and learning with the kids. All of them got “stars” at the back of their hands for participating the song we tried to memorize for the upcoming Student’s Day. Before I could finish arranging the chairs, Yeonjun’s mother approached me with the little boy tailing her.

“Teacher Dara,” she started.

I smiled at her and giggled slightly at the “penguin” behind her. “Yes, Yeonjun’s eomma?”

She smiled and handed me a small envelope. “I have something to give you. Uhm . . . this is from my younger brother, you know . . . Yeonjun’s uncle. He wanted me to give you this. It’s about the art gallery tour he mentioned during the presentation the other day. He thought you might consider bringing the class there.”

“Oh, yes, yes. He indeed mentioned it to us.” I took the envelope from her. “Thank you for this, Yeonjun’s eomma,” I bowed at her. “I will surely think about this offer and contact him after I had made the decision and after I talked with the higher-ups.”

“No problem, Teacher Dara. Thank you for giving it a thought. We will go first,” she said and bowed at me. “Say goodbye to Teacher Dara, Yeonjunnie.”

“Goodbye, Teacher Sandy~ Take care kkkk,” Yeonjun giggled while waving at me.

“Goodbye, uri Yeonjun!” I waved back at him and smiled widely. “Take care as well.”

Yeonjun’s mother carried him in her arms and walked out of the classroom after bowing again to me. I sat back down on my chair and opened the envelope.

There are two paper inside: one is a calling card and another is a folder paper. I scanned the calling card and saw his name and his contact details, as well as the name of the art gallery. I placed it on my phone’s screen and took the folded paper. I opened it and saw that it was a letter written by him.

 

 

Dara,

 

I don’t know if you’ve remember what I said during my presentation as Yeonjun’s uncle but I mentioned that I am currently working on curating toys and I am proud to say that I almost finished it. So I am inviting you and the whole class for an educational tour. That is if you will be allowed. I hope you will think this through, and I will be waiting for your response.

 

Seunghyun

 

 

I had finished reading the letter, but I hesitated to contact him. I have this weird feeling of talking to him outside the topic of his nephew and how he did in my class. It is indeed weird. I took the calling card again and stared at it. I really don’t want to talk to him, really! But then . . . we will talk regarding my class and my student and . . . Gosh, Dara!

I dialed his number and hesitated to press the call button. Why am I like this? I am professional, and for sure he is as professional as I am.  I heaved a deep sigh and pressed call.

The call was connected and it rang. I stood up and paced around the room until I settled near the window. It took three rings before he picked it up.

“Hello, this is Choi Seunghyun. How may I help you?”

I bit my lip and cleared my throat. “Hello, Seunghyun-ssi. This is Sandara Park. I have received your letter via Yeonju’s mom. I called because I wanted to ask regarding your invitation.”

I heard a shuffling on the other end before he replied. “Oh hi, Dara—Sandara-ssi. I didn’t expect to receive your call today. Thank you for giving my invitation a thought, but sadly, I can’t talk with you right now on the phone because I’m quite busy with arranging the stuff in here. If you don’t mind, can we meet at the gallery?”

“Oh . . . oh it’s no problem, Seunghyun-ssi. I understand that you’re indeed busy. I’ll check my schedule for today and I’ll head over there if I am not busy.”

“I’m really sorry for the inconvenience I have caused on you. Had I not been busy, I could just accommodate your concerns through this call.”

I shook my head unconsciously and mentally slapped myself for doing it. “Really it’s no problem at all. I will just uhm send you a message perhaps if I’m on my way . . . will that be okay? I hope I wouldn’t disturb you on your work.”

I could feel him smiling while replying to me.

“I really won’t mind of you coming here. It’s already an inconvenience on your side that I had asked you to visit the gallery.”

“Ah, yes, thank you. I will just talk with the higher-ups in here regarding your invitation so that I will know if it will be okay for the kids to go there.”

“No problem at all, Sandara-ssi. I hope you’ll be permitted.”

“Neh. I’ll see you around. Goodbye.”

“Thank you and bye.”

I didn’t realize that I was holding my breath with what I said at the last part.

I’ll see you around.

It’s as if that I am certain to really see him today. Pabo, Dara.

 

 

 

After the call, Dara went to the office of the principal to relay the invitation of Seunghyun. Luckily for her, the principal allowed her and agreed for the trip for as long as she will send a letter to all the parents and guardians about it. She was happy to her the good news from the principal. She didn’t know why but she is indeed happy about it.

She took her phone from her bag and excitedly texted Seunghyun about the updated of his invitation.

 

Seunghyun-ssi, guess what?! The principal allowed us to visit your gallery! :) :) :)

 

Before she could do anything, she hit send. Then realization dawned on her.

“OHMYGOSH!” She gasped and buried her face on her palms. “I sounded way too excited! Why am I so careless?”

She hastily typed another message for him.

 

I mean, I am coming over there to talk about the specifics of the trip. I will be there in 30.

 

She stared at the message she typed for a long moment before she hit send.

Prevention is better than cure, they say,” she thought.

 

 

 

In the gallery, Seunghyun felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. His hands were currently full with the canvas that he’s carrying. He walked over to a corner to place the artwork before he attended to his phone. He was taken aback to receive a message from Dara. Whatever the content of the message, he admitted that he’s happy to see her name in his phone again. Right after Dara ended the call, he saved her number. It was nostalgic for him. All memories flashed in his mind, but he tried to remain cool with the idea of having her number again.

Seunghyun opened the message and almost let out a laugh at what he read. He found it adorable that even for a tiny bit, he made Dara excited and happy . . . perhaps. He chuckled at her second message.

“Why is she still so adorable?” he muttered to himself with a smile.

Not bothering to send a reply, he pocketed his phone and resumed working on arranging the canvas and all other things he has to do for the final touch. He went back to the back room to retrieve all the artworks and toys and starts arranging it.

He didn’t notice the time that half an hour had passed already, and Dara would arrive anytime. He was too focused on his work that he indeed didn’t notice the woman walking inside the gallery.

Dara stepped inside, taking a small and quiet step. She turned around and examined the place with her eyes. Some part of the place were already occupied with artworks and some had tables with a glass cover full of toys. For her, it was almost done like really, really, almost, almost done. It just needed some minor cleaning and it will be now ready for public viewing.

Her eyes stopped at the crouched man on the corner, doing something she couldn’t see. After a moment, the man stood up and brought with him a medium-sized canvas with a cartoon drawing on it. She realized that he was unwrapping the artwork from its brown wrapper.

Dara continued to observe the man. She was about to approach him when the man turned around. Dara realized that the man was no other than the curator himself, Choi Seunghyun.

“H-hi . . .” she said and bowed at him.

Seunghyun, upon seeing Dara, frantically fixed his shirt. It was so rare of him to wear a shirt, but when he did so, it is when he is in the cocoon of his passion—curating artworks and preparing his gallery for public viewing. Aside from those moments, he always wear something with a long sleeve.

Conscious of Dara’s presence and seeing him in a shirt, he let out a chuckle.

“Hello, Sandara-ssi. I’m uhm . . . sorry if you’ve seen me in this state. If you would excuse me. I will just change and come back to you in 10. Feel free to roam around the gallery.”

“Oh, no problem. Please take your time,” Dara smiled at him although deep inside, she was a bit embarrassed upon seeing him in a shirt. She could feel her cheeks heating up. To avoid him seeing her blushing, she turned around and walked to a table full of dolls.

Upon seeing her turning her back on him, Seunghyun sprinted away to the back room to change.

“So embarrassing,” he muttered under his breath.

 

 

 

 

Dara saw a painting that was so familiar to her. It was the painting that even if she will close her eyes and run her fingers on the canvas, she will know what it is.

It is The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh.

Their favorite painting.

She walked toward it and smiled to herself. Until now, it is still her favorite painting among all that existed, among all that she knew.

She stared at it and took her phone out, capturing a photo of it. She was too immersed in staring at the picture that she didn’t notice Seunghyun behind her.

He decided not to disturb her yet. He wanted her to admire that piece of painting. Whenever he has a public viewing for his gallery, whatever the theme maybe, The Starry Night will always be present.

Seunghyun had realized that moment that they still have something in common. It was something to be proud of knowing what happened to their relationship.

 

 

“Did you know that The Starry Night was created in an asylum?”

“Really? Does that mean that it was made out of his depression perhaps?”

“Maybe. But I think it conveys a feeling of hope in Van Gogh . . . you know, despite of what is in he’s mind.”

“I think you’re right, babe,” Seunghyun replied, “this intelligent girlfriend of mine!” He pinched her cheek that earned a slight squeak from the girl.

“Yaaaah~ don’t do that, I might squeal in here and it is a no-no in the museum, Choi Seunghyun!” she said that earned a chuckle from the guy.

“I’m sorry, my loooove,” he said and stole a kiss from her lips and acted like nothing happened.

Dara giggled and swayed their hands as they walked to another painting. “Hmm, babe, you know the best painting in here is The Starry Night. I think it is my fave now!”

“Really hmm? You’re into painting now huh, Dee? I’m very proud for making you like arts, love.”

“Oh I already love arts, babe!”

“Liiieeeeess, Sandara Park~”

“I do because I love you!” She made a heart shape with her arms.

Seunghyun stifled his laugh and pulled her into his arms. “Gooosh, I love you so much, you know!”

 

 

Unknown to both of them, they were thinking the same memory. Smiles spread on their lips as they reminisce the good times that was never forgotten by time.

“Dee . . .” Seunghyun called.

At first, Dara thought she just misheard it, thinking that she was still in her vivid memory. But then she heard another call—a call to reality.

“Dara, let’s go?”

She turned around and saw Seunghyun standing behind her, already wearing a white long sleeve. Dara stared at him for a moment before blinking.

“O-oh yes! Let’s go . . .” she started walking toward the door and stopped abruptly upon realizing something. “Wait, where are we going?”

“I couldn’t let you squat in here for us to talk about the details of the kids’ trip, so I want to take you out for a coffee drink? That would be comfortable for both of us,” he paused and scratched his nape, “will that be okay though?”

Dara contemplated for a moment before nodding slowly. “I think that is fine by me.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t hold you long. We will just talk about the time and date for the kids to come here. Ah, the coffee shop is just a walk away,” Seunghyun said as he pointed at the coffee shop across the building.

She followed his finger and nodded. “Right.”

“Let’s go?”

She nodded and started walking toward the door again. He followed behind her as he locked the door first.

 

As soon as they reached the coffee shop, he offered to buy her a drink which Dara acquiesced. She ordered for a latte and took the vacant table near the glass window.

When she sat on the chair, she patted her cheeks as if waking herself up from some insanity she was into. Before long, Seunghyun joined her. He sat across her and smiled.

“So—”

“Actually—”

Both of them said at the same time. That brought a smile on her lips. “Please continue,” she said and sipped on her drink.

“So first, I really wanted to thank you for accepting my invitation. Please relay my gratitude to the principal as well. About the date and time, have you thought about it already?” He looked at her as he stirred his coffee.

“Yes, yes. The principal and I already set a date and time for the kids to visit in the gallery. Will Friday be okay? We were thinking that it would be nice to have it as Friday since there will be no class the next day. The principal suggested to cancel whatever lesson I had planned for that day because we will just have the gallery tour the whole morning. Is that convenient for you as well, Seunghyun … -ssi?”

He waved off his hand in dismissal. “No problem to me at all. I will be so glad that the kids can visit as soon as possible before it will be open for the public. I want them to see it first before anyone else can. We know how children love toys,” he took a sip on his coffee.

Dara nodded in agreement. “I agree. The kids will surely love it when they will see all the beauty in there.”

“That was the reason why I wanted to make that theme.”

Dara looked at him and smiled genuinely. “You’ve come so far now, Seunghyun-ssi. I’m happy that . . . that you have finally reached your dream.”

When she finished saying those words, she realized that she had crossed the line of her so-called “professionalism”.  

“I mean for sure you had been dreaming that since you were little … and you have finally—”

“Thank you, Dara,” he cut her off, “that means a lot to me. It took me years, but thank you for noticing all the efforts done.”

Dara bit her lip and nodded. “Y-you’re welcome.”

 

 

“Do you know what’s my greatest dream, Dee?”

“What is it?” she leaned on his shoulder.

“To collect many, many paintings and any kinds of art.”

“I’m pretty sure you will achieve that, baby.”

 

 

“Thank you so much for your time, Dara, and I’m sorry as well for the inconvenience,” he stood up and extended his hand to her.

“Thank you for your time as well, Seunghyun-ssi,” Dara took his hand and they exchange handshakes.

He led her out of the café and hailed the cab. “I won’t hold you long. Your husband must be looking for you.” He opened the passenger’s door and bowed at her as she stepped inside.

Dara was about to open to talk but closed it when Seunghyun closed the door. He waved at her and watched as the cab drove away.

“That went well, Seunghyun. It’s much better than we thought,” he mumbled to himself and patted his shoulder as he crossed the street. “You did well.”

Inside the cab, Dara looked back at his figure crossing the street. “I’m glad it went well. I did good for a woman who resented that man for years.”


Hello, my readers! I apologize for the really late update. Life happened.

I hope you will like this chapter and give it an upvote. Don't forget to comment down your thoughts <3

Saranghae~ ( ˘ ³˘)