SIX | PROLOGUE |

We're the perfect two

Notes:

I just realised that the ages and grades might be a little confusing for some people so (I'll be using western ages)

Hansol went to school in 2004 (age six but he turned seven in the middle of the school year.)
Seungkwan went to school in 2003 (age five but he turned six in the middle of the school year.)

In this chapter the month is July and the year is 2004 so they have both turned six but school hasn't started yet.

I felt like clarifying because it will get more confusing in the next chapters.

 

 

Hansol was 6 years old when he first me Seungkwan. He had just recently moved into a new neighborhood with his family and was more than happy to hear from his mother that there lived another boy, his age, just next door. He wanted nothing more than to go and greet this new future friend of his but unfortunately for him his mother wanted him to help her unpack the stuff they had brought with them from their previous home. 

 

Hansol wanted to disagree and whine and tell his mother that he needed to meet his future best friend but he was a man and men needed to help women unpack furniture.  

Of course his parents wouldn't actually let him touch the big furniture but only the small and unimportant stuff. And of course his toys.  

 

 

The next day Hansol was already older and smarter and he knew that women could handle their furniture just fine without men's help. And he really just wanted to go and meet the kid next door.  

He told this to his mother and she laughed whole heartedly at her adorable son.  

"Of course you can go. But you need to eat first."  

Hansol was just about to complain but he then realized that he was actually hungry. So he ate the food that was given to him and left the kitchen to get his clothes.  

 

"Honey, those are the ones we bought just a while ago", his mother noted and sternly refused to let her child leave the house with his best clothes on. She didn't even consider when her son told her that he wanted to look good in front of his new friend and eventually Hansol was the one to give up. He settled to wearing his second best clothes and favorite Spider man socks that his mom had had to spend a good time trying to find.  

 

When Hansol was finally ready he left the house and walked straight to the next house, his mother fondly watching after him until the neighbor's door opened and she thought it was safe to leave her six-year-old on his own.  

 

Hansol glanced up at the surprised old lady that had opened the door. She eyed the young boy worryingly and wondered out loud how could such a young child be wondering alone but a smile found it's way to her wrinkled face when Hansol explained that he lived just next door. "Ah, you must be one of Seungkwan's friends then", she then exclaimed. Hansol didn't know who this Seungkwan was but he didn't mind being friends with him.  

The old lady her heels and called for the said name. When she disappeared into the house Hansol gave himself permission to enter and closed the door behind him pulling it with two hands. Then he just stood there quietly until a little boy, about his age and just slightly taller than him came to greet him. The boy was glancing at him warily, up and down.  

 

"Who are you?" he asked and Hansol smiled. This was the moment he had been waiting for.  

 

"Hello! I'm Hansol. I live right there", he started while pointing into the direction he suspected his home was. "You're my age", he then finished and the brightest smile spread across his face.  

 

The other boy was now looking at him slightly skeptically not at all amused at the way some random kid had just bumped into his house. Hansol's smile might have wavered a little but one really couldn't tell.  

 

"I'm Seungkwan", the boy informed flatly and Hansol really didn't know what to say after that. But he didn't have to because Seungkwan was more than ready to talk.  

 

"What are you doing in my home? Are you really six, too?" Seungkwan asked and Hansol nodded, already forgetting the first question as the second one was asked. 

 

"I'm six and I'm getting a little brother before I turn seven", Hansol smiled proudly when Seungkwan's eyes widened into giant white plates. Like two little moons, Hansol thought.  

 

"Wow! That's cool! How can you get one?" Seungkwan asked and took a small step closer. Hansol was almost bursting from proudness when the other was so interested in him.  

 

"My mom's getting me one", Hansol smiled, once again pointing at the most likely direction of their house. "Her tummy is already this big", he stressed and motioned a huge bump on top of his stomach.  

 

Their conversation was cut short when a whole new woman peeked her head into the hallway 

 

"Hello? Seungkwan, who is this?" she asked motioning towards Hansol with a friendly smile. 

 

 A proud smile found it's way to Seungkwan's face when he introduced Hansol as his newly made best friend who lives next door. Hansol wasn't quite sure whether to be happy about the fact that the other had just said they were best friends or the fact that Seungkwan was finally smiling and he thought he had never seen a smile as bright and beautiful. Be it either one Hansol was happy nevertheless.  

 

He was quickly invited in by (apparently) Seungkwan's mom and even offered food, which the politely refused, telling her he had just eaten before leaving home. 

 

Seungkwan pulled Hansol into his room and, other than the fact that Hansol was a little jealous that it was way bigger than his, it was really cool. Seungkwan had cool posters of shows Hansol had never even heard of and he was more than happy to hear about them. Maybe one day he could even watch them with his new best friend.  

Seungkwan told him about this cool show called 'Naruto' that had ninjas and all other cool stuff and Hansol really wanted to see that.  

 

"You can come here tomorrow morning and watch it with me", Seungkwan suggested and Hansol promised to ask his mom if it was ok to come so early. They played a few hours with Seungkwan's really cool Legos and Hansol learned that Seungkwan was only a month older than him. Seungkwan had already started school and that made him so many times cooler than the boy already was. He also learned that Seungkwan had an older sister who was 11 and a brother who was 13, and if that wasn't cool, Hansol didn't know what was. He would have never said it out loud but it might have even been cooler than his future little brother. It was already six in the afternoon when Seungkwan's mom came to tell them that Hansol's dad had come to pick his son up.  

 

Hansol didn't want to leave but it was too late to hide now that he had already been seen so he slouched reluctantly downstairs the other boy right on his heels.  

He was putting his shoes on when suddenly something bumped into him and wrapped around his body like a warm jacket. Seungkwan was hugging him. Hansol felt his cheeks go slightly red because it wasn't every day he was being hugged by someone other than his mother. But it felt nice and after Hansol had managed to squirm himself into an upright position he hugged the slightly taller boy back.  

 

Then he had to leave, but oh boy did he spend the rest of the evening blabbering to his parents everything he had learned about his new best friend.