Bruges

Beautiful View

Junhong lay over the sofa, upside down with his legs over the back and head hanging off the cushion, frowning hard. Jongup was sat beside him, viciously beating a game boss to death on his N64. The younger watched as the tv screen became progressively harder to see as his headache intensified.

“Nope!” He shouted as he eventually up-righted himself, swaying dizzily, “the blood in my head is not helping me think it's just making it harder to think!”

“Well it was a theory, and we tested it, and we were wrong,” Jongup replied calmly, “that's just how science goes down.”

Junhong didn't respond, only groaned.

“Were you trying to make your brain figure something out?” Taehyung asked, walking into the room with a stack of books and his laptop in his arms.

“Ugh.Yeah. Trying to work out something,” Junhong grumbled, holding his head as the blood slowly went back to its usual places.

“Is this about Youngjae?” Tae asked, setting his things on the table.

“Yeah, how'd you know?”

“I guessed you were probably trying to find a way to impress him or something.”

“Well... Not impress... I mean... You know...” Junhong hoped his red face just looked like the blood was still sorting itself out.

“He doesn't seem that taken by you. I don't think you made much of a good first impression,” the other boy said, tutting a little.

Junhong's heart sank. “Really? How do you know?”

“I got a chance to talk to him the day after the party, you didn't really leave much of an impression. You're too shy, you need to be more open about yourself.”

The youngest let out a heavy sigh and flopped down on the sofa, draping himself across Jongup's lap. “Ack, I should've known. I bet he thought I was a total dork.”

Taehyung nodded solemnly. “He's a really nice guy, he'd never say it out loud but... Yeah. A straight-up loser.”

“Wow. Thanks man.”

“Welcome.”

“Hey listen, I don't really care because you're both too invested in getting Junhong to look out of a window, but I'm trying to play a game here and you're being really distracting,” Jongup spoke up irritably.

“But it's not just about the house is it~” Taehyung teased.

“Don't know what you're talking about,” Jongup snapped back, rolling onto his side so his face was out of sight to the older.

“Sounds fake, but okay,” Taehyung replied smugly.

 

Junhong continued to receive taunts from the older housemate throughout the week until he was able to escape for a particularly long dance practice session with Jongup. The class were spending some time getting to work with the stage the end-of-term presentation would be performed on in the local venue where students often spent time. This wasn't the first time they'd been there, performance students had to get to know the venues, but the class was feeling nervous about the reality of actually being on stage.

The venue owner was a young man who wouldn't tell anyone exactly how he'd landed himself a good venue in a good location at such a young age with no apparent help, but many people suspected his almost ethereal good looks and charming personality had had a hand in it. His name was Mr. Kim but he insisted that the student's call him by his first name because he considered himself youthful enough to drop the formalities.

“Himchan!”

Jongup looked up from his shoes, halfway through re-tying the knot of his laces. “What about him?”

“He can help me!” Junhong bounced up onto his feet excitedly. “This place is pretty big, maybe Youngjae could display his photography here!”

Jongup sighed heavily, head leaning back and pained expression crossing his face. “Junhong. You can't just get the venue. You have to... Pay for it or something.”

“Himchan loves us, Jongup. Especially you. If we ask he'll definitely consider it!”

Jongup gave him a doubtful look.

“Come on, help me ask!” Junhong didn't give the older dancer a chance to refuse before he grabbed his wrist and dragged him towards the office.

He rapped his knuckles on the door, grip firm on his friend's wriggling wrist. There was a silent pause where Junhong began to wonder if he'd jumped the gun too soon and about to be met with nothing but embarrassment, before the door clicked. It opened, and behind it stood the young attractive venue owner Kim Himchan.

“What do you-- Oh, it's you two. What's up?” Himchan asked, smiling pleasantly and leaning on the doorframe.

“Can I please use the venue for something?” Junhong immediately begged, hands pressed together, “Please? Please, please, please?”

The venue owner blinked in surprise. “What for? Do you have an event? You have to book the place and fill in paper work in but in a deposit.”

Junhong squirmed nervously. “Um. I was sort of hoping you'd do it for free?”

Himchan's eyes narrowed.

“We knew we could rely on you to be good to us, and there's no other venue we'd turn to anyway – this is the nicest place for students to come to,” Jongup spoke up, surprising both of them, “If we held a student event here a lot of people would see it's a good place to be and consider hosting more things here.”

Junhong marvelled at his friend's words.

Himchan's lips pursed for a moment before he spoke. “Let's say I do give you a free evening or whatever. What's it for.”

The two dancers looked at each other.

“Um. I hadn't really worked that part out yet. We need somewhere with space where a large art piece can be displayed,” Junhong admitted nervously.

“You want me to give you the place... To hang up some art... For an evening.”

“Well,” Junhong could feel his face heating up, “Sort of. Yes.”

There was a tense silence.

“I mean, I could definitely make it more worth it! It could be a full creative subject evening! I can get other art students who might have things they couldn't display and- and-” he struggled for a moment, “and Namjoon said he wanted to collab with Yongguk, maybe they could put something on as well-”

“Wait, wait,” Himchan held up a hand, “Are you friends with that guy?”

“Huh?”

“Yongguk. He's the guy who's an underground rapper, right?”

Junhong nodded slowly, unsure of where this was going, “Yeah...”

Himchan thought carefully. “Having him perform for a night would attract a lot of people... Okay. Here's a deal. I'll host your as-of-yet-to-make event under a number of conditions.”

“Anything!” Junhong said, bubbling with relief and delight.

“Firstly, I'm the events manager of this, so there will be an entry fee and all the money goes to me.”

“Fine.”

“Secondly, you have to get that rapper. You have to promise me he'll be performing and that people will come.”

“I will do my-”

Himchan gave him a stern look.

“I promise I'll get him.”

“And thirdly,” Himchan weighted his words heavily on this one, “you get me his number.”

Junhong blinked. “Sorry, what?”

“Get me Yongguk's number.”

“Why?” He frowned a little, “do you want to make a business deal with him?”

Himchan smiled a little. “Ah, you really are young.”

“What? I don't get it...”

“Yes. You could say I want to make a business deal with him. The business being dinner and the deal being him coming to my place after for-”

“OKAY THANKS FOR THE DEAL HIMCHAN!” Junhong spoke up loudly, cutting the venue owner off.

Jongup stifled his gagging.

“Once you can come to me with all these things assured, I will reserve a day for you.”

“Thanks Himchan, you're the best,” Junhong said, carefully pushing Jongup away as he walked off.

“Don't forget to get me his number!”

“I won't!” He called back, wishing he could get away with doing just that.

This would definitely ensure that Youngjae would be impressed by him. And see the picture. The thing I'm mainly doing this for, he told himself. He nervously shook away the nagging thoughts that told him he'd totally forgotten about seeing the view all together.