Rosella

Beautiful View

The sky decided not to fall in warm droplets that day, but instead it crashed around Junhongs ears as he stood, mouth agape, staring. Sun glanced off his hair and jumped from the trembling surface of the river in flashing bursts. All of this was reflected in the huge bay windows that overlooked the bridge, and overlooked by a man.

 

“What have you been working on?” a deep voice asked Junhong after the contemporary music lecture.

“Yongguk!” Junhong perked up, turning to see the older student at his side. He rummaged in hi bag and produced his notebook, skimmed through it and handed it over. “It's still in-progress but I hope it's looking good so far.”

They'd made quick friends, despite the large between them. Yongguk had been a slowly rising underground rapper for a short while, but his family had insisted he at least get himself some more professional qualifications before he pursued the career any further. As a result he was one of the most informed students in the class and Junhong couldn't help but admire everything he wrote. Working so closely with someone who'd actually performed his raps to a cheering crowd... He thanked fate that he hadn't taken a year out or given into his parents suggestions to perhaps take a more “academic” course.

“It's interesting. Why the choice of topic?” Yongguk raised a brow, the clear lines shaved into it spreading a little.

“It's just an idea I had that sort of... Kept going.”

“Is she real?”

“There's got to be someone out there who's like that, right?” he laughed nervously.

Yongguk raised both eyebrows.

“Well, I hope she's real anyway.”

“Well if it's all ideas you came up with, maybe you can develop it. You have a point of inspiration, right?”

Junhong nodded. “Yeah, I do! It didn't just come out of air or anything.”

“Work with that. Go and investigate your inspiration a little more, get to know it, see what else is going on there. You might discover something new and different.”

He nodded, not fully understanding but wanting to please nonetheless.

“It's interesting, but it does need more work. Think outside of the box with this one.” Yongguk handed the notebook back. “Keep writing, you'll make something really amazing one day I'm sure.”

Junhong nodded, in air through his nose and puffing his chest out as Yongguk patted his shoulder and moved to head off. They gave each other one quick wave goodbye before Junhong allowed himself to deflate and give himself a small air-punch of triumph.

 

 

The young man had fluffy brown hair around his ears, and was sat on the windowsill with a laptop perched on his knees. There was a book open against the window that he glanced at occasionally and a small stack of books at his feet. An empty bowl, dirty from use, sat on top of them with a par of chopsticks balanced on the rim. A chocolate bar, half unwrapped, hung from between his teeth as he typed away. There was a pen hooked in the pocket of his black cardigan and a pair of glasses balanced on the gentle curve of his nose.

He was not a young girl.

 

 

“Jongup!” Junhong shouted as he staggered his way into their house, throwing his bag down haphazardly. He threw himself around the door frame to see Taehyung on the couch, console in hand and mouthful of fries he'd picked up from the local fast-food joint.

“Hm?” His baffled housemate asked, before the door opened once more.

“Oh you're ba-” Jongup started to say, still covered in a sheen of sweat from dance practice,when Junhong gabbed his shoulders.

“A boy lives there!” He wailed.

“Huh?”

“There was a boy in the window of the house! Not a boy- a man! A student!”

“Oh, yeah it's accommodation. A few guys live there.” Jongup set his bag down and freed himself from the younger's grasp.

“You knew?” His voice broke a little at the betrayal.

“Uh, yeah.” The dancer made his way to the kitchen, filling a cup with water. “Is it important?”

“All those things we talked about yesterday and you just let me live in a fantasy of lies?” Junhong threw his arms in the air in frustration.

“Oh. I'm really sorry I wasn't actively listening.”

Junhong stared at him.

“Wait what's going on?” Taehyung piped up from where he was sat, food still in his mouth.

“Ah, you know that old European-looking house by the bridge?”

“Yeah, Daehyuns friend lives there.”

Junhong jerked his head to stare at his housemate. “You know who lives there?”

“Yeah he's...” He clicked his fingers a few times, trying to remember. “Youngjae!”

“Have you ever met him? Do you know what he looks like?” Junhong was leaning over the couch now, looking down at the poor boy sat beneath him.

“Maybe? I don't really remember. He's Daehyuns best friend but I don't know which of his friends are his best friend because he has a lot of friends and his friends have a lot of friends and some people have many best friends.”

Junhong blinked.

“No, is the most likely answer.”

“Okay but have you ever seen him with a guy who has brown hair a-and glasses and-”

“I think it's time you got back to studying.” Jongup grabbed Junhong by the arm, dragging him away from their mortified looking housemate.

“He seems kinda small!”

“Come on, up stairs.”

“Ask Daehyun about him!!”

“Go!” Jongup shoved the tall boy up the stairs, ignoring any cries of protest.

 

“Think about it!” He said from his position slouched across Jongups bed, laptop on his stomach. “Doing essays and looking out of that window.”

“This again?” The older looked up from his own computer screen.

“You could look out over the whole city and feel so inspired to write something amazing.”

“Or just start daydreaming, we're hardly the best at essay work.”

He bit his lip. Jongup was right, while he considered himself a fairly decent lyric writer, they were both abysmal at any academic work. They were only just scraping decent passes in their theory module.

“You need to turn your weird fixation into something creative otherwise you'll probably end up breaking into the house just so you can look out the window.”

“I won't break in just to--” Junhong cut himself off, eyes widening.

“Please tell me you're not forming a plan to break in because I'm going to have to help you just so you don't hurt yourself...”

“No! But I can look out that window if I'm invited in!”

Jongup's eyes narrowed.

“I'll make friends with Youngjae! I'll get Taehyung to meet Youngjae and then he can introduce us and I'll get invited over one day and finally look at that view!”

The other boy sighed. “Well, it's not illegal so I can't stop you, but I think it'll be more complicated than that.”

“How?”

“You can barely talk to our classmates, let alone an older student you've never met before.”

Junhong's brows furrowed. This was true.

“Besides, you don't even know if the boy in that room is Youngjae, he could be one of his housemates. You don't even know if Daehyun's friend is even called Youngjae or if Taehyung can remember his name correctly.”

“Ah, there's a way past that!” Junhong half sang smugly as he opened up a webbrowser. “Social media!”

“You're going to look up 'youngjae' on social media?”

“Nope! I'm going to look up 'youngjae' on Daehyun's friends list!”

“Good luck with that...” Jongup rolled his eyes.

He ignored him in favour of typing in the name into Daehyuns page and scrolling.

It became quickly apparent that this wasn't going to work.

“I suppose I should have expected this from someone who was over 1000 friends on this site. There's loads of Youngjaes and none of the profile pictures look familiar.”

“He probably doesn't have an account.”

Junhong snorted. “I bet he does. Just because you never use yours doesn't mean other people are so detached from the internet.”

“I do use mine!” Jongup defended himself.

“Yeah, for gaming.” Junhong rolled his eyes. “I don't think grinding for land on your farm counts as social networking.”

Jongup frowned. “Either way, your plan seems to have some pretty big holes in it. Is t even worth it?”

“It's my point of inspiration! Yongguk said I should get to know it better.”

Jongup stared at him for a moment before his eyes narrowed. “How does he... Did you do work when I told you not to?”

Junhong bit his lip. “I may have written an entire rap on it...”

The older sighed heavily and flopped in his chair “I'm not letting you copy my essay next time.”

“What? Nooo! Please let me look!”

“Nope. You did work without me. Now you suffer.”

He let out a groan of despair and threw his arms out in defeat. “This .” He lay in silence for a moment while Jongup typed away. “I wonder if Yongguk will let me look at his work for our module though...”

“You need to learn to do your own work.”

“You're right... Your essays only just get me a pass, maybe if I put in the work I might actually get a good grade.”

A pen flew across the room and hit him in the forhead. They both sniggered as they started flicking random objects at each other, each trying to get the best land on the other's face.

“I bet Yongguk will help me get invited into that house.” He commented, aiming a memory stick at Jongup's nose.

“He's more reclusive than us, how's that going to work out?” Jongup caught the stick and threw it back. It missed Junhong and bounced off somewhere in the folds of his bed.

“He'll think of something.” Junhong feigned looking for the lost device, before grabbing a pillow and tossing it at the dancer.

“Well you better think of something because I'm about to annihilate you,” Jongup threatened with a grin on his face, the pillow in hand like a weapon.

“It's on!” Jongup challenged, sitting up and putting the laptop aside as he grabbed the other pillow, preparing for all-out war.