Maligne

Beautiful View

If he thought that having notes and almost an entire written essay would actually help him write his own, Junhong would have been horribly wrong. In fact, he found that looking at Yongguk's carefully organized, in-depth class notes and plans made him more confused than ever. He had no way of decoding any of this into something that made sense to him, he might as well have been reading one of the core textbooks.

“I give up.” He dropped all the papers to the floor and hung himself off the edge of Jongups bed.

“I'm shocked. Really,” replied the older from his position at the foot of the bed, his Gameboy in his hands.

“At least I tired,” he grumbled, staring at the pile of notes he'd made on the floor. After a while the blood rushing to his head made him feel dizzy and he sat up.

“So is that all you did? You just bummed off Yongguk's work?” Jongup didn't look away from his game as he spoke.

“No, we also got take-out.”

“And you spied on that Youngjae guy.”

“I didn't spy!” Junhong defended himself huffily, “I just noticed! He took a photo of me with his big fancy camera, so it was him who was spying on me.”

“I wonder what he does with the photos,” Jongup mused.

He blinked. Somehow this hadn't been a thought that crossed his mind. “Maybe he's an art student. Maybe it's part of his portfolio... Maybe...” His eyes widened. “Maybe his photos will be displayed at one of the photography events!”

The older boy squeezed his eyes shut, internally cursing himself for speaking his thoughts. “Please tell me you're not going to hunt him down.”

“I have to! He has a photo of me and I want to see it! What if he has other photos he took from that window? Please come with me to an event, I can't go alone!”

Jongup counted for a few seconds before replying. “You're really set on this.”

“Yes.”

Resigned, the older let out a sigh. “If you see these photos will you quit your weird obsession and go back to procrastinating with me?”

“Yes!”

“Fine. I will go with you. But you owe me a MacDonalds.”

Junhong scrunched his nose. “Ugh you'll dry my bank out... But okay. It's a deal.”

“Shake on it!” Jongup extended a hand, finally looking away from his game to fix Junhong with a firm gaze. “I want to know I'm getting a double cheeseburger with fries and a shake for my effort.”

He let out a high-pitched whine of frustration but took his hand, giving one firm shake, then hooking their pinky fingers together. “Deal.”

“Deal.”

“Now help me find the event he'll be at.”

“Ah-ah-ah,” Jongup waved a finger at him as he returned to his game, “I didn't agree to that. I'm just joining you.”

“Uuhgghhhh!” Junhong flopped against the bed and huffed as he pulled his laptop onto his chest. “I'll look myself then.” He tapped the surface either side of his trackpad and chewed his lip, wondering how to go about finding events. He clicked absently through his tabs until it dawned on him that he had a handful of notifications from events he'd been invited to by other students.

He skimmed through, finding only club nights and various music events around the city. But it was a start. He clicked on the events pages and searched through- finding venues and locations where photography might be displayed. He even ends up scrolling through accounts of students he knew did arts courses in the hopes of finding something.

“Any luck?” Jongup asked about an hour later.

“No,” Junhong grumbled, “You'd think that no one does any photography in this place.”

“Maybe it's just not announced yet. Maybe there won't even be an event and all this will have been worthless.”

“If there's no event you don't get a MacDonalds.”

Jongup looked him dead in the eye. “You must have hope for the event, Junhong. You must find it. For the sake of the photos. For the sake of my burger.”

Junhong shifted a little to give the older a quick kick, receiving a snigger in response. “Do you care about anything besides games, dancing and burgers?”

“Yes,” Jongup says defensively, “I also care about dogs.”

“Everyone cares about dogs!” He snorted.

“But I still care,” the other dancer insisted, then paused thoughtfully, “Oh and Chris Brown's music.”

“Oh you don't care about Chris Brown. You love him.”

“I do not love Chris Brown!”

“Don't worry, Jonguppie, I'll be at your wedding with a beautiful rap about your eternal burning passion for-” Before Junhong could say something quite inappropriate, Jongup pulled one of his patterned socks off and threw it hard at his face. “Attacking me with my own clothes! I see how it is. If you think you'll get any mercy from me, it's too late for that!” He cried, grabbing one of Jongups many pairs of dirty, sweaty tops from the floor and throwing it over the older boy's face.

“You're going down, beanpole!” Jongup muffled from under the shirt, saving his game and setting the console aside.

“Bring it, tiny!” Junhong taunted back as he set his laptop on the nearest safe surface.

They were very bad at getting anything productive done.

 

“So if you can organize something where we can get them to hang out in the same place, that would be really great!” Taehyung finished explaining to Namjoon while the rest of their friends were crowded around a single phone screen watching puppy fail videos.

“I gotta say, it's really cool of you to do this for him,” the older said,lifting a crisp to his mouth ad munching it.

“He doesn't have many friends, and he seems really excited about getting to know him. I think it's got to be hard for him making friends when he's so shy.” He reached out and stole a crisp off Namjoon, popping it into his mouth. “Besides, if he gets in with Jackson's friends he'll get more popular anyway and maybe actually spend time outside of the house.”

“That is true. You can't really know him without knowing... Everyone.” He let out a light chuckle. “Well I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help out, you know what he's like.”

Taehyung nodded, and hoped this was the right thing to do.

“If you like I can call him later and see if he's up for arranging something? I'm sure he can think of an excuse to get loads of people in one place and find a way of getting those two to talk.”

“Are you sure this isn't asking too much?”

“Nah, man, trust me, he loves this sort of thing.”

 

As it turned out, Jackson was ecstatic to help. Before Taehyung had even finished explaining his idea, Jackson was planning.

“There are a few birthdays coming up, I could talk to my friends and suggest we all go out for a huge party and you can invite him and some of his friends along.”

Taehyung scrunched his face up and shook his head. “He doesn't party. He's kinda really tall, I think that gets in the way of it.”

Jackson looked at Namjoon, who shook his head a little. “Well, we need somewhere to get a gathering otherwise it'll just be one weird group of people hanging out at a fast food restaurant.” Jackson continued.

“There's always the abandoned pool,” Namjoon commented.

“By the park?”

“Lots of space. We could get a bunch of speakers and everyone can bring their own alcohol.”

Jackson nodded excitedly. “Great idea! It'll be this huge awesome gathering with lots of people and music!” He grinned, bouncing a little on his feet. “You keep Junhong with you and I'll bring Youngjae over and they'll make friends, trust me! Youngjae's a really great guy and they'll definitely get along.”

“If your friend isn't too shy,” Namjoon pointed out.

“I'll be with him, and probably his best friend too so he shouldn't be so nervous. Anyway, once he's had a few drink he'll be more likely to talk.” Taehyun assured the older.

“This is the best idea! I'll make an events page and invite everyone! Find out what day he's free and I'll set it then.”

“I'll make a group chat for us three to workout our plans, since I'm the only one with both of you added.”

“And I'll work on talking Junhong into coming out instead of spending all day losing to Jongup on the playstation.”

“You're exaggerating there though, right?” Jackson asked, eyebrows raised.

“They go to their dance events sometimes,” Taehyun frowned a little as he thought, “and I think Junhong went to a concert because his course needed him to go... Otherwise, no. I'm not exaggerating.”

“For the health of your friend, we need to get him outside even if this plan doesn't work,” Namjoon laughed.

“Honestly I think his head health is already slipping, the way he was asking about Youngjae,” Taehyung said seriously.

Jackson's eyes widened and he clapped with a grin on his face. “Maybe it's a crush! Love at first sight!”

Namjoon snorted. “I doubt it.”

“It's to do with the house... Maybe he wants to move?” Now Taehyung's eyes were widening.

“Ah, yeah, he does live in that really nice European house...”

“Okay, you two, calm down. Let's just stop worrying and get on with our plan. Whatever it is, we're going to help out.”

The other two nodded, but also found themselves thinking deeply about the situation. Maybe it was a crush...