Belichenko

Beautiful View

 “Hey Youngjae!” Jackson greeted the photographer brightly.

“Hey, haven't seen you in a while.” Youngjae replied, leaning in the doorway of his house. “Shall I call Youngjae and say you're here?”

“Nah I sent him a text when I was outside. He'll be down in a minute.”

“Fair enough. Is it just you two today?”

“Yeah, we think Namjoon's friend's housemate has a crush on him so we're trying to set up something.”

“Sounds nefarious. Does mini-me know about this?”

“Nope! It's all a surprise. So don't tell him.”

“Ah, my lips are sealed. He will never know.” Youngjae mimed zipping his lips and held his hand to his chest.

As if on cue,the younger Youngjae came bounding down the stairs with his bag over his shoulder and grin splitting his face. “Jackson! Hey! Sorry, I had to get my shoes on.”

“Took your time! I think I started growing a beard out here!” Jackson teased.

“Ah, yeah, we've become old men waiting here. You better sing at our funerals,” The older Youngjae joined it.

“Shut up,” the younger Youngjae said, still grinning and laughing. “Come on, Jackson, let's go!”

“See you 'round, Yoojae!” Jackson called as he left with his friend, hand on his back.

“Hey, don't-” Youngjae began shouting after him, until he realised they weren't paying him any more attention “-call me that... Pah.” He closed the door and made his way back to his room.

He picked up his camera and flicked through the photos, before stopping on one he'd taken not too long ago. It featured the ridiculously tall kid who sometimes had colourful hair that he'd see around campus now and then, who as it turned out was friends with the guy who lived over the road. The boy was looking out the window, head turned and gaze on something unseen. He had a presence that couldn't quite be described, but demanded the attention of the onlooker of the picture. The camera had picked up all the details of his face: the sharp jawline, the bright eyes and the piercings that decorated his ears. His shoulders were broad and neck long. He was fascinating to Youngjae, who was soft and small in comparison.

He wondered if he'd ever get a chance to take a photo of him again.

Putting the camera down, Youngjae made his way to his computer. An events page for the photography student's art display had just been made and people were inviting their friends to come see. One of the students had started putting out fliers around the campus that day.

He wondered if that boy would see them.

 

Junhong's hand gripped Jongup's bicep, squeezing it.

“Ow! Dude, what are you doing?” Jongup slapped the offending hand away and rubbed the bruises it had left.

“Look!” The younger pointed excitedly to one of the older students who was carefully taping a piece of coloured paper to the door of the student union. Across the top of the page was the words 'PHOTOGRAPHY DISPLAY' in massive bold lettering. “Do you know what this means?” Junhong asked, running over to the flier once the student had moved away.

“It means I'm getting my free burger,” Jongup replied seriously.

“Well. Yeah. But it also means I might get to see the photo he took – and maybe even photos of the view from that house!”

“You're obsessed.”

“It's passion... Maybe some obsession but mostly passion.”

“Right...” Jongup narrowed his eyes a little, concerned for his friend's health. “Let's just go to class now.”

The younger dancer nodded but quickly pulled his phone out and took a picture of the flier so he couldn't forget the date.

They'd barely taken a few steps towards their class when they spotted some familiar faces.

“Hey, the hyun family all together.” Junhong said as Taehyung waved at him.

“We're not really family, we just kinda look the same,” Daehyun muttered, before the other two spoke over him.

“Where are you two off? Class or home?” Baekhyun asked, smiling.

“To the dance studios, we're going to see if we can get Junhong to do a backflip.”

“You struggle with those?” Daehyun asked, eyebrows raised, “Can you do a front flip? Aren't you a bit tall?”

“He has enough leg to push him off the ground,” Taehyung commented.

“But maybe too much upper body to balance himself to go backwards...” Jongup mused.

“Uh.” Junhong cleared his throat, “Anyway, lets get to class.”

“We should test it when we're back at the house.”

“That sounds... So unsafe.”

“It would be like that Krispy Kreme vine.”

Daehyun and Baekhyun looked at each other, before bursting out into laughter.

“What's funny?” Junhong asked, feeling very left out and confused.

“You three think on another wavelength. If you keep this up you'll start turning green.”

Taehyung scowled.

“Anyway, we have class to get to.” Junhong started to push his fellow dancer away from the three boys.

“Catch you later!” Their housemate called after them as they headed towards the dance studios.

“So, do you think you'll manage a backflip this time?” Jongup asked, looking up at the taller.

“I don't know. If I can it'll be the best thing I can do for our end of term dance recital.”

“You can do it. You just need to work out your balances.”

“What do you know, you haven't been able to do one yet either?”

“No, but I came close!”

Junhong huffed. This was true, the older boy had nearly managed a complete backflip. There was no doubt in his mind that Jongup was a better dancer, but he wouldn't let that defeat him. He'd get that backflip down one day. He'd impress his family, his friends, his teachers, his classmates... He'd impress everyone. Even that Youngjae guy.

Wait, what?

He shook that last thought away.

 

“So, you're a way into your first year now. Met anyone you're interested in?”

Youngjae choked on his drink at Jackson's question. “What? No. I'm not looking. I'm just enjoying having friends and doing my English studies. It's a bit early for me to be dating, right?”

“Hmm, don't be so sure,” Jackson gave him a playful poke, “You never know when the springs of love will bloom within you.”

“The springs of-” Youngjae snorted and let out a laugh. “What are you saying? Seriously, I'm not looking for that sort of thing.”

“It might be looking for you,” Jackson teased, now poking his sides.

“Hey! Stop!” youngjae giggled, batting his hands away, “Why are you being like this.”

“No reason. But, I am throwing a part for some friends and you should be there, and, you know, mingle.

Youngjae snorted. “I'll be there, but I'm not going to 'mingle' in the way you're thinking.”

“Great! I'll drop by and pick you up!” Jackson said, internally cheering triumphantly.

 

“So I managed to sort out a date and time that worked out for most people, including Youngjae, so if you make sure your guy is free that day we'll be set!” Jackson said proudly as he sat with Taehyung in the library.

“Really? That was quick.”

“I've had a few days to work with it and lots of friends to work with. I've also suggested that maybe Youngjae should be looking for some romance that night.” Jackson winked.

“So we definitely think its a crush?”

“Definitely! And we're going to help them get together!”

“How? We could try pushing them together and playing slow romantic music?”

“That might ruin the party for everyone else..” Jackson hummed thoughtfully, tapping his laptop where the party events page was open.

“Junhong wont show without Jongup, but they're not going to leave each other's side,.” Taehyung added.

“Well, I thought about that. They're both dancers, right? Maybe I could start a dance off, and when the short guy is doing his thing we can lead your tall friend off and make him talk to Youngjae.”

Taehyung thought about this. “That could work... And I'll make sure he's had enough to drink by that point so he's not too shy.”

“Don't get him too drunk. If either of them get too drunk it could get out of hand.”

“Yeah, we can't have them blacking out when they're trying to connect.”

“It's a delicate mission we have, but we will master it.” Jackson nodded silently, looking serious.

“What are you two doing?” Came Namjoon's deep voice.

“Planning!” Taehyung grinned at his older friend.

“Be careful not to push anything that wouldn't naturally happen otherwise. For all you know this could be a misinterpretation.” He warned the two conspirators.

“Trust us! We're just helping the natural flow of their feelings.”

“Junhong does seem pretty crazy about the guy, it's surely the right thing to help.”

Namjoon sighed and sat beside his friends. “Fine. But be careful, you don't want to hurt anyone.”

“Trust us, man, we got this all under control,” Jackson assured him with a smug grin.