Chapter 3

Here and Now

You were almost back at the apartment, sipping the last of the coffee. Decaf wasn't really working for you, but it was a good enough distraction until you would make some for the evening.

You noticed him waving with a sad smile back to the studio across the walkway. The doors of the two buildings closed at the same time, and you paused for a second before continuing. Sigh.

It was already a tipping love story, with as much beauty and harmony that could be unparalleled as the chaos that was already preparing to rival it. It's you and me, against the odds, when it should be you and me, interrupting chance and making chaos flee.

It was going to hurt to see her heartbroken, to know that among their unwritten moments, numberless competitors were preparing to try them. Yet, from the moment you metto now, you couldn't have been more proud of her. Had it been any sooner, she wouldn't have even acknowledged what the hidden connotations of her interactions with the young men could lead to. Even if she was showered with love by them, as they slowly did, she wouldn't have been able to receive them with an open heart. 

But it was patience, and kindness, and compassion. She embodied these as much as she craved them. She warmed the icy walls that had built around your own heart, opened your eyes to a living character who longed to live without the mask and could only drop it around him. You sensed it shortly after she had moved and the first time she talked about them. The fleeting hesitation when she said his name, when you both watched their videos and noticed her eyes linger just the slightest bit, the times she would be unconciously humming a line from their songs and you could trace it back to being his lines. There was a connection from the start and the chemistry was undeniable. They were two complementing puzzle pieces, neither quite making sense without the other to get a bigger picture.

Yet she's a puzzle of her own to me.

You finally reached the door, and shook off the tinge of sadness in your heart. It was an odd feeling, seeing the person you kept trying to deny feelings for deny the feelings they had for another person. But the person she had feelings for also mirrored hers, and that's what urged you to send that text, though the regret that followed after was no less painful. But while it burned a hole through you to feel like you were letting her go, seeing the light in her eyes connect and the surefire sign that things were going well since you'd left them soothed the ache. You relaxed the tense feelings building up before opening the door.

"Honey, I'm home!" you called out in the cheeriest voice you could muster, stepping into the mini lobby and turned into the living room, where she had been sitting on the couch and now was up, caught by surprise.

She didn't run over to you in an embrace like she usually did. So, it did go well.

"He wanted to meet you today." 


Dean's cheery face turned into a slight surprised expression.

"Wait, did he ask about me?" He raised a brow, but not in a threatening manner.

You nodded. "They all know about you because they see us so often together. He really wanted to meet you today and also ask your permission."

Dean didn't reply for a moment. When he finally blinked again, he looked down. "Wow..."

You walked over to him. "I hurt your feelings again, didn't I?" You started to reach towards him, hesitating and your hand slightly shook.

He took the hand. "No, you didn't hurt me. I was preparing myself but...honestly, the reality that he is as I see him is what gets me. He can take off any masks in front of you."

You lifted Dean's face up to look at you. "He's more genuine than I could imagine a person to be. It's as if he can read me without asking. The only other person who's been able to do that is you."

Dean took your other hand from his face and motioned as if he were to kiss the hand but instead, held it against his chest. "I'm not going to lie to you and say I'm not jealous. After all, I'm standing here today because of you. But...my affections would be wrong now, especially since he wants my trust too."

You felt a drop of pity stir within you. Dean's eyes looking like they were pleading to hold you, and your resolve was being stretched. It was another end of the spectrum that made your heart ache. But...I can't...

"So is this what heartache is like?" Your voice quivered.

"Maybe." Dean said, letting go of your hands gently. He gave you a hug, not the same kind of intimate as when you were in Jongup's arms, but an embrace of comfort and warmth. "Don't let it creep in to what the two of you share. I can already tell he makes you happy, and that's what it should be."

You hugged him back, flashbacks of the day playing in your head.

"You hungry?" Dean pulled back, his cheery self back. You nodded. "All this emotion has me a little overwhelmed...what did you have in mind?"

Dean mused for a second. "Hmm...how about we go out? Time to go tease a few of my fans." You laughed. "Is this your way of getting back at me?"

His expression turned into a pout. "People won't suspect you of dating if you're still seen with me. I get a date with my favorite person, you get free food and stay off the radar of the gossip blogs a little longer. Plus, I'm feeling a little barbecue would hit the spot right about now, how about you?"

"Sounds good to me!" You grinned.

He let you go and you both walked to the door, his mock chivalry holding the door for you as he did.

As you walked out, he caught up to you and you continued down the walkway where the sun was starting to dip towards the way to your favorite barbecue spot.

"You smell like him." 

Your cheeks grew warm. "I..."

"If you didn't, I would question why there was a lack of spoiling my baby." He stuck his tongue out and you glared for a moment but couldn't hold it for long.

"I swear, people are going to think I'm turning into a spinster at this point..." you muttered, still giving him the side eye. 

"It's nice though, he doesn't wear a heavy musk to seduce you or anything...it's like a breath of fresh air smelling you." He was having way too much fun teasing you.

"And its like I'm going to wrestle you into the sofa when we get back if that sassy mouth of yours doesn't settle down..."

"Damn...if only you were single..." he chuckled and you had it. You slapped his shoulder, not hard, but he made a whimpering noise.

"Not falling for it..." you sped walk away and he caught up to you again, this time you were at the restaurant.

"Dinner's on me! I just like bothering you too much. It's too much fun and your reactions make it that much better." he grinned evilly. 

You closed your eyes, praying for a moment because you were trying not to laugh and strangle him at the same time. You both went into the restaurant and soon, the barbecue arrived, and you hungrily scarfed everything down again, content and now ready to take on the ridiculousness that Dean had in store. But he looked blissfully distracted in a food coma.

"What? Are you out of teasing for the rest of the night?" you egged him on.

He looked you deep in the eyes and leaned forward on the table. "There's always so much to tease you about, love. But at the moment, I'm savoring the deliciousness of the moment, and the temptation that is you."

You blushed hard. "Dean...I..." You shook your head. "Excuse me, can I get two bottles of soju please?" You needed a drink right now.

He chuckled at you, satisfied with the effect of his words on you. The soju arrived, and you didn't even bother to pour the bottle out, you turned away so no one would see you chug half the bottle on the spot. You shook your head and stretched. It hadn't hit you yet, so you started to motion to pour when Dean snatched the bottle. He poured the soju for you, watching you finish the whole bottle off yourself. He started to open the second one and didn't pour it, leaving you with your glass in front of him.

"I know you're a lightweight. Just give it 5 minutes and then stand for me. Please." He insisted. You really didn't want to listen today. It was already emotional enough and his teasing wasn't making this easier.

"I will after you pour one more. Promise." He reached his pinky out and you grudingly crossed his pinky with yours. He poured and you downed the soju again. Thank goodness the soju the waiter brought was blueberry- they knew all too well you couldn't drink the non flavored type well and always brought you the one they saw you could handle. You stood up without rushing and felt the room slightly shift. It was starting to hit your brain and you blinked slowly to let the rush overcome you.

"See? I can see the liquor pour through you and that's not even a thing." 

"Oh hush. Why don't you take one then?"

"Can you pour me one with that sass?"

You pouted but took the bottle from him, and manged to pour without spilling a drop. As he was taking the drink, you took a swing from the soju bottle again and he stood up, taking the bottle from you. 

"Byul, don't." His expression changed to concern.

"Okayyyy...I'm good now. I am in a warm place. Okay?" You felt the room beginning to wobble a bit. You were definitely tipping to drunk now. 

Dean finished off the bottle, barely buzzed. He paid the bill and took your hand. You followed him out of the restaurant and into the cool evening air. It was almost dusk now, the light of the sun fading out.

"Karaoke!!" you gleefully squealed. Did I really just make that sound? Sounds like I drank helium...

"Alright, Miss Blueberry, let's go!" He shook his head, and you turned into the karaoke lounge. As you were about to go into one of the rooms, a familiar figure stepped out.

"Daehyun!!!!" You drunkenly giggled and called to him, waving. He walked over, a little bit wobbly himself.

"Ohhhh look who! It's our Byul-ah! Are you coming to karaoke with us or not?" He grinned at you back with his gorgeous smile. Dean shook his head at the two of you, laughing.

"Dean Hyung! Annyeonghaseo, it's been a while!" Daehyun bowed to Dean, who couldn't stop laughing at this situation.

"Daehyun! It's good to see you too! Are the other guys here as well?" 

"Yeah! Why don't you come join us? I'll take you!" He practically skipped as the karaoke workers let you follow them. 

You got to the karaoke room, and by this point everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. Appropriately so, Youngjae was on the microphone, starting the song "Slow Motion" himself.

Your eyes glanced around the room at the members all gathered around on the couch and in the room. They noticed Dean had been holding your hand coming in.

"Well well, did someone have one too many drinks again?" Yongguk chuckled at you, flashing the adorable trademark gummy smile.

Dean nodded, returning the laugh. "She's got a way to be sneaky even under the best eyes." 

Himchan helped Dean bring you to the sofa where you sat next to him, but Dean stood up, and walked to Youngjae, grabbing the other mic. The two of them picked up the song and started a duet to the R&B number, and suddenly you felt a warm feeling rush over you and it was turning you on. 

As the song continued through the first verse, you heard another person's footsteps and they sat next to you. The familiar cologne hit your nose as you whipped your head around in shock. You were face to face with him.

"Baby, Oooooo....when I saw you walking out the door..." Youngjae and Dean crooned into the mic, tones a perfect harmony. Your breath was hot for a moment as you realized how close your face was to Jongup and being drunk wasn't helping calm you down at all.

Suddenly the sound shut off.

"Aww man! I think we need to restart the song..." Youngjae pressed a button to start the song up again. It diffused the heat between you two instantaneously and you let out a deep breath.

Jongup took your hand in his, but Himchan's eye caught the tension between you two. He didn't say anything as he and Jongup exchanged a quick glance that you couldn't keep up with.

Himchan nodded his head for a second and showed you two the way out of the karaoke. He gave you a very intense stare and whispered, "Good luck."

You followed Jongup out, not sure where you were going but knowing you couldn't stay in the karaoke room at that moment. You reached another room, that looked like a small office but much cozier with the number of cushions inside. He shut the door behind you, and the music from the karaoke room floated back up again. Suddenly, you were pressed up to the door, his hands on both sides of your head as you heard the two harmonize again...

"Ooooo....I just know you needed something more...." Your heart pounded like crazy, the alcohol making your mind swim and your core heat up as Jongup's body pressed against you.

You gasped as his forehead came to rest on yours, your lips about to touch, just like this morning at the studio. But there was a much different vibe coming from Jongup now than earlier.

"I just wanna get you out them clothes..."