Chapter 2

Here and Now

"Mmmmm...so breakfast on me again?"

A familiar voice whispered in your ear, and you rolled over too fast, tangling into the sheets and off the bed, but you didn't hit the floor. Instead, you landed in a pile facing a familiar face with the most mischevious smile. 

"Good morning, beautiful and clumsy," Dean grinned, kissing your forehead.

You made a sound between a growl and a toddler's tantrum noise. "YAH!!" you attempted to protest but your arms were still wrapped in the comforter and trapped in Dean's arms, and he was clearly not planning to release you. Your face was warm again and the last thing you wanted was to be stuck since you clearly missed out on waking up early. 

"Somebody's hangry today...didn't I say I'd be the first thing you see in the morning?" he grinned, helping you untangle from the cocoon. 

You covered your mouth, sparing him of the morning breath. "I even set an alarm!! Yet you show up even before then?!"

He pulled your hand away from your mouth, his lips inappropriately when your eyes went wide. "My dear, it's never too early to see my favorite person...and you may want to make sure you set it for the morning and not the evening..." 

Your eyes went even wider in horror as you picked up your phone, noticing the time. You had forgotten to change the time to am instead of pm...He laughed at the expression on your face. You would have been awake an hour before his arrival had it been set correctly.

"Ugh...I'm sorry...I did actually mean to make you breakfast today..." You couldn't bring yourself to look him in the eye, the blush fading into embarrasment. You closed your eyes, shaking your head.

"It's okay, you know I'm not upset. Besides, I have a pretty good idea of why, I mean who, is responsible for your extra clumsyness this morning..."

You sprang up, crossing your hands in front of your chest defensively. "It's definitely not that!!"

Dean stood up, chuckling at your reaction. "Hey, what did I say before? Feelings are okay! Don't keep avoiding them like you avoid wearing pink."

You rolled your eyes. "You're right, I am hangry. Let's continue this conversation over some eggs and tea?"

"As my lady wishes," Dean bowed dramatically, ushering you to the door.

I can't with you... You giggled quietly to yourself. You made your way to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and combing your hair, while Dean went downstairs, humming while setting the table for breakfast. After slipping on leggings and your favorite hoodie, you put on some eyeliner and grabbed your glasses, heading down to the kitchen. There was already food set on the plates.

"I hope French Toast was okay...Made it this morning." Dean smiled, patting the seat he insisted you take. You sat down, and he sat across from you. The usual.

"So do you always have a backup breakfast with you? I'm starting to wonder if I should just not set alarms from now on..." You muttered, taking a bite. It was delicious and so needed.

"Well, if my hunch is correct, you won't need them as often...at least not from me anyways," he smirked, munching.

You glared slightly. "It's not that serious...I just...it was so dumb of me to even bring it up...forget-"

"No. Today, you will talk about it. You will give your feelings a chance. Feel them. Let them find their way." His expression grew very intense.

You swallowed the last piece of toast you'd been chewing. A sudden rush of the feelings from last night crept in, up your spine, almost setting up an invisible layer between you two. You shook your head for a second, picking up the tea and gulping it quickly without savoring much of the taste. The warmth of the tea interrupted the previous warm feeling in your stomach.

"Okay. So, I'll just tell you what happened yesterday..." You closed your eyes for a moment to relax your head before looking him in the eye and recounting everything that happened yesterday, and about the few times you would talk with Jongup or make eye contact, but never have any type of one-on-one interaction before last night. "i just...All the guys are attractive guys, and we all get along quite well...but, it's always him that I weirdly get...nervous around...and I thought I might have a crush, but I'm sure it's just a bad idea...and...like.."

Dean cut you off. "You're definitely crushing."

You choked on nothing. "I-I- but..." He raised an eyebrow at your attempts to protest. He was totally right and your rambling was it's own proof.

"But...it's not like I can act on those feelings...I'm friends with all of them...plus, they have really strict schedules, and the last thing I would want to do is make whatever free time he has be taken from him because of me...if he even feels like that...what's the possibility even?" You shook your head again, like you were trying to shake the thoughts out.

"Why don't you two just meet up and talk, and maybe you'll find an answer in there?" He spoke so calmly. "It doesn't have to be as complicated. He picked up your phone, and before you realized what he could be doing, handed it back to you. "And now you have afternoon date plans. You're welcome."

Your eyes went wide in horror. "YOU WHAT?!" You looked at the text on your phone. 

Hey, I'm free in the afternoon today, wanna hang out?

It was that simple yet it suddenly made things very complicated, and you felt your emotions bubbling up. "WHY?!" you bursted, shaking in mild shock. Dean ran over to your side, and held both your hands.

"Hey, hey...look at me...Byul..." his expression had grown gentle with a tinge of worry.

You felt a tear slip down your cheek. Ugh man, why do I cry when I get angry...

"I...I'm sorry, I just...it scared me suddenly because I've wanted to send that myself but I never felt like there was a right time to..." You started to calm down from the shock.

"I shouldn't have forced you to make plans...but, I think it will do you well to meet with him today." He calmly looked in your eyes and brushed off the tear that fell.

You couldn't find the words to say. "Today is supposed to be our day."

"I'm always visiting you, let today be your day, okay?" he held your face and gently squeezed your cheek, prompting you to smile.

"Okay. I will." You wrapped your arms around him, burying your face into his neck. His arms embraced you back, gently your hair.

"Don't be nervous. You're both friends, after all. The worst that could happen is an awkward moment today. You'll see each other too much to stay awkward for too long. I promise." His words had a calming effect on you as you let go to look him in the eye.

"Why am I so lucky to have you? What did I possibly do to deserve this?" You muttered, smiling gratefully.

"Promise me if things don't work out that we elope, okay?" This mischevious expression was back.

You playfully poked his nose. "And be stuck with you forever? Hmm...sounds a little too good to be true..."

He chuckled. "Looks like you have a message!"

You opened the text nervously. Yeah, I'd love to. Actually, would you mind coming to the studio in an hour? I was working on something here, but company would be nice. :)

You swallowed nervously. Sure, see you soon! :)

"So...." 

"He wants me to come to the studio to hang out."

"So that's a yes!" Dean's grin was ridiculous. You playfully glared at him "I get credit, after all, I initiated it..." He bit his bottom lip teasingly.

"Okayyy fine, and thank you..." You hugged him again. "I better get a little more decent..."

"You look fine as you are." 

"For a date?!" You looked at him confused.

"Didn't you say this was hanging out?" He stuck his tongue out at you again.

You shook your head and headed upstairs. "I'm not asking for anymore dating advice from you now...for today." You heard him laugh.

After quickly changing into a pair of denim leggings and a nicer light sweater, you slightly touched up your face, just covering a few of the acne scars that had shown up recently. You debated on changing out of the glasses, and put in your contacts. After heading downstairs, you realized you'd forgotten some perfume.

"You won't need it. Trust me." Dean smirked, typing something on his phone.

"Okay there, fairy godfather. Wish me luck!" you walked to the door.

"Break a leg!" He waved to you, heading back to your living room. "I'm going to take a quick nap, French Toast has me feeling sleepy..."

You shut the door and headed to the studio.


Sure, see you soon! :)

The text made your heart jump for no apparent reason, but it brought out a smile on your face.

"Did you win something?" Junhong asked you, and you quickly turned towards him.

"What? No, it's nothing really, just something unexpected," you tried to sound convincing, but your mind was racing a bit.

"Ahh...well, enjoy your surprise, hyung. I'm headed off for a bit but if you change your mind, come join us later." he said as he headed out. 

"See you, Junhong, I'll try and catch up later." You got yourself up and quickly got dressed and ready to head over to the studio.

You settled down at your favorite part of the studio where the squishy chairs were and took out the notebook again, writing and tracing the words that were already there. There was a few minutes until she would arrive but you weren't able to hold in the butterflies that crept up on you.

Then, the door opened, and she came in. 

"Hey...you can sit here!" You gestured to the other seat next to you on the sofa. She sat down comfortably and wasn't making direct eye contact with you but was looking at the notebook in your hand. She was sitting next to you, but another person could sit between you both. "Um, so...I've been working on a song actually, and well...can you hear it and tell me what you'd think of it so far?"

She smiled. "Sure thing." 

"You can sit closer, make yourself comfortable." You offered a small smile. She sat a little bit more at ease, close enough so your arms were almost touching. You saw her slightly shiver.

You cleared your throat, humming the tune that would accompany the lyrics and sang the lines that you had sang the night before, slightly pausing on the ending where you'd written "I want everything alone with you." You had been looking into each other's eyes as you sang the line.

"Um, so I added a bit more...so, I'll keep going." You sang the last line again before adding the line youd just written. "Now, at this very moment..." but you couldn't finish. 

"At this moment?" She asked, her gaze growing slightly intense with curiosity.

"Um, I just need a sec...I lost my spot in the song," you mumbled, pretending to scribble something out, and then turned towards her more to continue. You cleared your throat and started again.

"Whenever you do something, I like all the things you do. When there are no dreams in other rooms, I want everything alone with you...Now, at this very moment...Please hold me and just stay there..." your voice faded into a whisper at the last line as the tension grew between you both. You had unconciously turned to her and leaned a little bit closer to her, your faces less than a foot apart.

Her eyes were locked with yours, the intensity hinting at a sudden vulnerability again, mirroring the same expression from last night. As if spellbound, you leaned closer, your faces only a few inches apart now.

"Please hold me, and just stay there..." You sang softly again. You noticed her quick intake of breath at the words. 


Jongup was leaning so very close to your face.

"Please hold me, and just stay there..."

Your heart pounded as you took in a quick breath, almost afraid to breath out that the moment would disappear. When he leaned closer yet, you closed the distance right before both of your lips met. You felt his breath on you, and your eyes closed as you felt goosebumps travel all over you.

He gently pressed his lips onto yours. 

You sharply inhaled, but didn't move away. He slightly turned his head and kissed you again.

You melted at the second kiss. You kissed him back, heart still hammering away for what felt like an eternity. You felt his hand come up to hold your face gently and then he pulled back to look into your eyes. You felt like an open book, though you hadn't said anything. 

"Please remember and recognize the very moment when our eyes met." He sang again softly. 

It caught you completely off guard. It was super cheesy but it felt oddly natural. You giggled a little bit, and the intensity in Jongup's eyes left as his eyes smiled with him.

"I like it. A lot." You finally said out loud. 

"Really?" He beamed, and your heart started to speed up again. He quickly wrote what he just sang and you noticed the lines crossed out over and over in the notebook, with a funny little illustration in the corner of a star on a string, like a balloon, with a cartoon figure chasing it.

"Jongup...um...this is cute." You pointed to the little cartoon. He looked at you immediately, blushing.

He bit his lip, as if trying to keep the words from coming out. Finally, he said, "I've been trying to figure out what it is, but, I can't seem to stop wondering about you, Byul." 

You laughed again. That was the cheesiest and cutest analogy you'd seen. He was chasing a star, the meaning of your name. 

"I've been wondering why I can't seem to keep my mind away from you too." You looked away, blushing as you bit your lip. "I just thought it was...a crush maybe..."

"I honestly thought it was just a fleeing crush too."

You looked into each other's eyes again, as if on cue. He put the notebook aside and held your hands.

"Byul..." he spoke so softly, hesitating.

"Jongup." You squeezed his hands back, encouraging him to go on.

"I'm asking you for a lot. But I can't let you go without hearing from you. So, will you...be mine?"

You held back a tear in your eye, biting your lip again. "Yes." you whispered breathlessly.

"I know, it won't be easy, and I know we have to keep it a secret, but, I want to try. For you, for us." You shivered at his words. Then you nodded.

"I trust you. I want to try for you too." Your heart beat more confidently, like things were falling into place. I'm where I should be. I'm feeling.

He leaned in to kiss you again, and this time your hands found themselves holding his face as he kissed you gently like before, melting you once again. 

"Thank you." he snuck in the words before his arms slipped around you, and your lips parted to let him deepen the kiss. A warm feeling stirred in your stomach, and you felt his tongue slip into tease yours. You gasped, surprised by the sudden boldness. He gently tugged on your bottom lip, making your body squirm but not let go. He broke off the kiss there, looking back at you.

"I'm trying not to rush..." He said breathlessly, a hint of darkness emerging in his eyes. "But...it's like my senses pull me in before I know to slow down."

You leaned your forehead to his, catching your breath. Your hands traced the outline of his face, and he gave you a small peck. You smiled up at him. He kissed you again, and you returned it. He kissed your cheek, then the tip of your nose, with you returning each of them playfully. Then he kissed your forehead, and let his lips linger there for a moment, and you heard a small sigh escape him. You tilted your head upward, and planted a kiss just under his chin, feeling him slightly tighten his arms. He pulled back and looked at you with that previous darkness creeping into his eyes.

"I got stuck." You pouted a little bit. He paused to study the expression in your eyes.

Then a smile broke across his face, and he took in a deep breath. "Can we just stay like this?" 

You giggled at his question. "We can...but, don't you have plans?" 

"I can cancel. After all, I spend nearly every waking moment with them. But, now I someone else to spend my time with too." 

You blushed. His sweetness was almost too much to be real. "Okay, but...why don't we go out and enjoy the fresh air a bit?"

"I know just the perfect getaway." He grinned. 

You both got up and he slipped on his face mask and a jacket before the two of you headed out of the studio. He texted someone on his phone and you went through the secret door of the studio that you sometimes went through with them when the group and you were going out to eat. It was clear and when you walked out, you saw a small, inconspicuous looking car parked, with the driver's door slightly ajar and engine running. 

"Alright, let's go." Jongup walked with you to the car. You both got in, excitement stirring in your stomach, unsure of where you were headed to.

He took off his mask and started driving, and you fiddled with the radio. The acoustic melody of a song you'd heard in a drama recently started up, and you swayed your head to the tune, glancing outside at the sunshine and the blur of the road passing you. It wasn't long before the car stopped in the back of an unfamiliar looking gate, covered with vines that hid the gate almost completely, minus the latch which was contrasting in a faded gold color to the bright green around it.

"We're here." Jongup said, turning to you. 

"Is it a surprise?" you arched an eyebrow. He took a hold of your hand and you headed to the gate. Pulling it slightly open, he walked in first, leading you through and then turned to shut it. You were about to turn to look at what was behind you, but he suddenly covered your eyes.

"No peeking." he whispered in your ear. You bit your lip.

Keeping your eyes closed, you felt him pick you up suddenly, and you peeked just to throw your arms around him to hold on. He ran for a short distance before putting you down and then took both your hands in his.

"Okay, we're here." You opened your eyes and gasped.

You were standing in front of an entire field of tulips. They surrounded you like an ocean of white, yellow, red, and orange. It was breathtaking everywhere you turned. You were speechless.

"I know you don't like it when people cut flowers, but I really wanted to give you some if I could, if you said yes..." He shyly scratched his head.

You ran up and embraced him, burying your face in his chest. He chuckled, wrapping his arms around you. "I love it. I don't know how you remembered, but...thank you."

"So, can I take a picture of this moment?" 

You looked up at him. "We can?"

He nodded. "We might have to be a secret, but these moments don't have to be." You smiled. His words brought you a different kind of comfort that you didn't know you craved.

The two of you took a few pictures among the field, some solo. You both walked around it down an dirt path that interrupted the flowers everywhere, reaching another gate. Going through the second gate, you found yourselves at a small street, one you hadn't seen before. The people in the street didn't seem to notice that the two of you were passing by and walking through, and you both felt a little more at ease when Jongup was able to hold your hand while you walked.

He spotted a little cafe that looked like it was part of a house. You both went in, and ordered some teas. The waitress came over and let you know that early dinner hours were starting soon and food was available, so you ordered food as well.

"Are you two...dating?" the waitress asked you both. You both grinned. "Well, it's our first real day..." Jongup flashed a smile of content. "Wow! Congratulations to you both, you had such a warm energy around you, I couldn't help but guess..." she looked like one of his fans did, except that she clearly didn't recognize Jongup. She came back with matcha tea, still a little bit of her excitement at the news following her steps.

"Feels like a real date," you mused, sipping on your matcha tea.

"Honestly, I didn't think we would be here...at least, not so soon..." 

When the food arrived, the two of you scarfed it down, and while waiting to pay, were told that everything was on the house because it was your first day. You both thanked the waitress and headed back to the secret field to get back to the car. 

It was already becoming early evening, and driving back in the car, he held your hand the whole way. You both snuck back into the studio the same way you'd come through, keeping an eye out for anyone else who might be in the studio. The coast seemed clear for now.

"Um, did you want to go back to the guys, or..."

"Didn't you have plans with your friend who's visiting this weekend?" Jongup's question completely caught you off guard.

You gasped, realizing you'd almost forgotten. "Oh my gosh! I...um..I didn't even call..."

"It's okay, I can come over for a few minutes and apologize personally for taking you out all day."

"Are you sure?" This was even more nerve wracking than having a boyfriend meet your parents.

"If it's okay with you of course. I know you're both close, and only if you'd like me to."

You nodded. "Yes. I do want you both to meet. It's never too early, so let's go now."

You both headed out to your apartment, separately this time. Letting yourself in, you didn't see anyone indoors, which was strange, considering Dean never indicated that he was going to leave while you were gone. But then again, it had been a while since you'd left. You walked around, and showed Jongup around the apartment, coming back to the kitchen where your morning had started, ironically with a different date. 

"I wish you could stay a little longer," you said quietly. He came over to you, holding one hand. "I wish too. But thank you, for making my day a little brighter today, and for a perfect date."

You giggled. "I should thank you more. You just...knew."

He leaned over and gently gave you one last peck. "I'm going to go for now...but, don't forget me too soon, okay?" 

You poked his nose. "You're a bit unforgettable, Moon Jongup." He smiled proudly.

"Have a good evening, my little star," he said as he walked out of the door, waving to you.

You too. You mouthed to him, blowing a little kiss.

As soon as you turned back into the kitchen, the emptiness seemed to make itself known again to you. You saw Jongup disappear through the doors of the studio from your window and plopped yourself on the couch. It had only been the first day, yet it felt like you'd been dating so much longer. You loved it, even though all of this was so new to you.

Your front door suddenly opened, interrupting your thoughts.

"Honey, I'm home!"