Part 5. Alt. Ending

Frost

 

 

Frost

Alternative Ending.
 

Part 5.

 

3.169 words.

 

 

When Ten woke up it was dawn. He woke up with a start and the machine beeped faster. Taeyong had fallen asleep on the bench, but he immediately got up and ran over to Ten. “Hey!” He said as Ten struggled with the tubes and lines that he was connected to. Ten snapped his head to look at Taeyong and his brown eyes widened.

  “Taeyong!” He cried and reached out for him and Taeyong let the other embrace him, resting his face in the crook of the other’s neck.

  “Sssh,” he shushed the other who was crying and gripping onto Taeyong as his life depended on it. “I’m here.” Taeyong reminded the other, but when the nurses came inside Taeyong had to step back not to get in their way and Ten looked at him pleadingly. “Right here.” He told the other and Ten nodded, eyes teary.

The nurses checked up upon Ten and asked him so many questions, Ten hadn’t even time to feel scared or reach out for Taeyong. He was reminded of the night and suddenly remembered the past week. Ten was silent when they left, and Taeyong hated how the look on Ten’s expression reminded him of the days when Ten ignored him.


 

Ten cleared his throat. “I’m sorry.” He said and Taeyong crawled up upon the bed, hands in his lap and eyes fleetingly meeting Ten’s in a short gaze.

  “I’m sorry too.” Taeyong said and reached out to hold Ten’s hand. The other gasped at how cold Taeyong was, but he didn’t let go.

  “How did I… Did you save me?” Ten asked in a small voice.

Taeyong played with the other’s fingers. “I did.” He said but he didn’t sound proud of it.

  “You saved Johnny too?” Ten’s eyes were wide.

Taeyong nodded. “Didn’t want to, but I got to him first.”

Ten chuckled. “Thank you.” He said and Taeyong lied down beside Ten on the bed. Ten ran his fingers through Taeyong’s hair. He started a sentence but then silenced. “I’m telling you this because I want to be honest with you, Taeyong.” He started and Taeyong stiffened, Ten sensed that. “Johnny kissed me.” He said in almost a whisper and Taeyong startled.

  “He what?” He gasped and Ten avoided the other’s gaze by looking down when Taeyong sat up and turned to look at him. “I thought I didn’t have a good reason to kill him, but I do now.” Taeyong made a move to leave the bed and Ten gripped his wrist.

  “Please.” He begged. “Don’t go.”

Taeyong was reminded of his own words when Jaehyun tried to leave. His shoulders slumped and he looked at Ten who was looking at him.

  “I let him.” He said. “I was angry with you, still I suddenly felt confused.” Ten sighed. “You’re immortal.”

Taeyong was struck, he was struck deep in his heart. He would love Ten forever, but Ten would grow old and die. He was mortal, he had a life ahead of him while Taeyong was stuck in this teenage body. Ten wasn’t sure if loving Taeyong was a wise choice, and Johnny was a better choice.

Taeyong didn’t know what to say. “Let’s just… wait.” He said and caressed Ten’s hand and the boy smiled and nodded.

Taeyong changed into a position where he sat beside Ten, leaning against the wall and Ten hugging his body as he slept. Taeyong caressed the other’s hair and watched the world outside brighten. Jaehyun was right. He loved Ten too, and he had to choose, not only with his own feelings in mind, but Ten’s destiny too. Ten would only hurt seeing himself grow older and Taeyong stay a boy. Their relationship couldn’t last.

It was clear. The choice was clear, but still Taeyong was afraid of letting the boy go.

Taeyong fell asleep on the bed and Ten woke up to find Jaehyun stand at the foot of the bed. He felt lucky that Jaehyun was looking at Taeyong because it gave him a second not to act too startled. Jaehyun’s gaze shifted to him, it was calm but firm. Ten swallowed hard. “Do you remember me?” Jaehyun asked with a smile and Ten felt his nerves calm when the smile reached the other’s golden eyes. “I’m Jaehyun, also known as Sandman.”

Ten smiled back. “I remember you, but I’m sure Taeyong told you my name already, he’s told me a lot about you.” Ten said and both of them glanced at Taeyong who hadn’t even stirred.

Ten still sensed some kind of tension as if there was something very important that needed to be said and Jaehyun was trying to find a way to break it to Ten. It was like the time the nurse told Ten of his sister’s passing. She smiled warmly, but there was sorrow in her eyes. Jaehyun looked sad when he looked at Taeyong. Jaehyun sighed. “Did he tell you about our past?” He asked, looking tired.

Ten felt something in his heart stir. “What past?” He asked with wide eyes and he slowly felt a feeling of guilt sneak up upon him.

Jaehyun bit his lip. “Well we were…” He began but then he didn’t know what to say, because they had never been clear about what they were, they just loved each other.

Ten already knew the answer. “Ah, I get it.” He said with a smile and a small wave of his hand, telling Jaehyun not to struggle with an explanation. He fixed his eyes on the floor to his right, sensing Taeyong awakening because he turned his head the same way Ten were looking. Ten didn’t dare speak and when he eyed Jaehyun he noticed the other’s lips were tightly sealed as he waited for Taeyong to wake up.

The white haired boy sighed. “What time is it?” He asked after squinting at Ten with tired eyes. Ten smiled nervously.

  “10 am.” He said then looked over at Jaehyun. Taeyong who had made a move to rest some more on Ten’s shoulder followed his gaze. When his eyes connected with Jaehyun he sat up.

  “You’re back.” He said with a small smile. Jaehyun nodded smiling as well, masking the jealousy Ten just caught in the other’s expression.

Taeyong was about to say something when someone appeared in the door. Ten gasped and Jaehyun and Taeyong watched Johnny step into the room. Taeyong immediately crawled out of the bed and Ten looked after him. Taeyong turned to look at Ten. “I’ll let you two talk.” He said with a sincere expression and Ten reached out for Taeyong who grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. They were okay.

Taeyong grabbed Jaehyun’s hand and they walked past Johnny who only noticed Taeyong leave. He was dressed in the hospital gown which was a white t-shirt and white loose pants. Johnny gave Ten a small smile and the other beamed subtly.

 

 

As soon as they had exited the room Jaehyun ran into Doyoung who could only see him and not Taeyong. The boy bowed shyly and started up a conversation, not knowing Taeyong stood right beside him. Taeyong decided to go back and peek into Ten’s room. He had to see how Johnny treated Ten.
Johnny had taken a seat on the hospital bed, legs hanging down, almost reaching the floor because of how long they were. He had one hand on Ten’s arm and he spoke softly with a constant smile. Ten was looking down most of the time, few times meeting Johnny’s gaze shortly. Taeyong crouched down and pressed a loose fist to his chin and mouth in deep thought.

  “Do you remember?” Johnny asked and Ten smiled a little because Johnny looked down, not daring to face Ten.

  “The kiss?” Ten said without any trace of awkwardness which made Johnny feel at ease to talk about it. Ten nodded when the other looked up to meet his gaze. “Yeah.” Ten spoke softly.

 Johnny silenced a little, he was drawing patterns on Ten’s arm. “I met your ghost,” he then said.

Ten’s eyes widened. “Taeyong?” He asked in disbelief.

Johnny nodded. “After being pulled out from the cold water by nothing it made me think that maybe the ghost that followed you just saved me. When he came out of the water… dragging you towards ground, half carrying you while saying your name, I realized that the person you had been gazing at all those times when we walked to school or home… it was him.”

Taeyong frowned. He didn’t remember Ten looking his way… wait had he missed Ten giving him attention?

Ten blushed and looked in the way of Taeyong and he dove out of the way. Hesitantly peeking inside once again. Ten was looking at Johnny.

  “Yeah, Taeyong is my ghost.” He chuckled. “Now he’s yours too.”

Johnny laughed. “Oh he hates me.”

Taeyong started debating that with himself and figured that Johnny wasn’t that wrong.

Ten reached out to pat Johnny’s thigh. “He’ll warm up to you.” He said and Taeyong shook his head.

Johnny chuckled, eyes focused on Ten’s hand on his thigh. “Did…” He began. “Did the kiss mean anything to you?”

Ten looked caught, he started opening his mouth to speak but then looked down, brows creasing. “I’m not sure.” He said and Taeyong suddenly felt bad for Johnny. Then Ten looked up, he looked like he wanted to say something he didn’t know how to express. He reached out for Johnny fingertips brushing his arm and falling to the bed as if signaling to Johnny that he was too far away to reach. Johnny blinked in surprise and scooted closer. Ten looked at Johnny intently, as if searching his face for an answer. Johnny looked down, fiddling with his hands. Taeyong wanted to just knock their heads together and get over with it. Clearly there was something. Taeyong frowned at himself. No, this meant Ten wouldn’t choose him… Taeyong knocked his head into the doorframe but stayed silent as he watched the two.

  “Kiss me.” Ten said without looking at Johnny. The other snapped his head up.

  “What?” He asked looking lost and Taeyong imitated the taller. (“What? You heard him!”)

Ten looked up at Johnny letting their eyes meet and keeping their gaze locked. “Kiss me. I want to be sure of my choice.”

Johnny still looked lost but he leaned in placing his arms on each side of Ten and slowly meeting the other’s lips in a kiss. Taeyong wasn’t even sure of what he felt. It was as if an emptiness spread within him. It looked magical. They looked right and the way Ten’s hesitant hand reached out to grab onto Johnny’s shirt to keep him there, while Johnny slightly tilted his head and pressed another kiss to Ten’s lips and Ten mimicking the other. Taeyong couldn’t breathe. He had to stop looking. He turned around only to see Jaehyun look down at him. Taeyong felt his heart burst and he sprang up and grabbed Jaehyun, pressing him against the wall and smashing his lips to the other’s in a kiss they never had had before. Jaehyun’s hands hovered beside Taeyong’s sides, too caught up in the kiss and making confused sounds. Taeyong shortly broke it. “Hold me.” He growled and Jaehyun put his weight against Taeyong making them stumble to the other wall and Jaehyun wrapped his arms around Taeyong, pressing their hips together and kissing the other’s lips hard. All the anger and love he had felt towards the other was put into the kiss and it hurt but it was blissful.

Taeyong noticed the emptiness being gone and filled with Jaehyun and he embraced the other, pressing his lips to Jaehyun’s shoulder and feeling the other hide his face in his. The two panted as they both felt the years of being apart and struggling alone crumble beneath a new found love. Their love had always been good and innocent even though they had been intimate, but this was intense and full of emotion.

Taeyong rested his forehead against Jaehyun’s shoulder. “He has chosen.” He whispered and Jaehyun inhaled deeply almost gasping. “And so have I.” Taeyong said and Jaehyun leaned back. Taeyong looked up into his eyes. “It’s you.” He said, voice breaking. “I choose you, and not as a second choice, I could fight Johnny but I don't want to. Because I don't need to. I love you.” He cried and Jaehyun kissed him.

  “Thank you.” Jaehyun spoke as they broke the kiss.

Taeyong shook his head. “No, thank you.” Jaehyun smiled, he was happy to hear that.

 

 

Taeyong still visited Ten, and now even with Johnny in the room. He still sensed some sort of connection between him and Ten, but they both knew it was something they could live with. Ten would have an exciting relationship with Johnny and Taeyong could continue to love Jaehyun forever. Ten tried to make Taeyong and Johnny friends but both kept being defensive towards each other.

  “You were the one who hit me!” Johnny gasped.

Taeyong made a face and mocked the other. “You were the one to hit me! You deserved it!”

Johnny made a move to front Taeyong who raised his staff.

  “Did you feel cold in the lake?” He asked with wide eyes. “I can throw you right back in, if you'd like!”

Ten gasped and reached out for the two. “Hey hey hey!” He exclaimed and Johnny sat back on the bed and Taeyong lowered his staff.

  “That’s what I thought.” He muttered and Ten groaned.

  “You act like babies!”

  “That’s because he is one.” Johnny said beneath his breath and Taeyong raised his staff threateningly. Jaehyun entered in that moment.

  “Hey! Why is there so much tension in this room?”

Ten looked over at him. “Because they can’t be in a room together.”

  “He’s so stupid.” Taeyong sighed.

  “And he’s being a jerk!” Johnny stated. Then Johnny realized Ten had just spoken to nobody. “Wait who’s here?”

  “The sandman.” Ten explained. “He puts children to sleep, you too.” Ten shrugged and Johnny thought hard.

  “That sounds quite awesome.” He said.

Jaehyun laughed. “I am awesome.” He agreed and Johnny spun around to stare at Jaehyun.

  “Holy !” He gasped.

Taeyong hit the back of Johnny’s head. “Who are you calling a ?” He said through gritted teeth and Johnny turned around raising a hand threateningly. Taeyong copied him.

Jaehyun laughed which caught their attention. He then went over to Ten to give the other’s shoulder a squeeze then he walked around the bed to force Taeyong to sit with him on the bench. Ten smiled at the two.

 

 

 

At night Johnny had to sleep in his own room. Jaehyun had work to do and that left Taeyong and Ten alone together.

  “You look great together.” Ten said looking at his hands. Taeyong who was leaning against his staff and looking out of the window turned his face towards Ten.

  “Who?” He asked. “Jaehyun and I?”

Ten snickered and then nodded. “Hmm.” He hummed.

Taeyong smiled and went over to take a seat at the end of the bed. “Thanks. You and Johnny too. Even if I don’t like him.” He added.

Ten chuckled. “He’s not that bad.”

  “He’s a bully.” Taeyong said with a serious gaze. Ten grimaced.

  “Oh yeah.” He gasped. “Well… we did talk together in the first year of college but then we didn’t have that many classes together. He’s okay, he just likes to tease people and don’t know the boundary, I guess.”

Taeyong raised his eyebrows. “Then I hope he gets to know the boundary, because or else he’ll be slipping on ice all winter.”

Ten laughed while frowning on the same time. Taeyong joined in on the laugh. Ten sighed and looked at Taeyong . The two shared a sad gaze.

  “We didn’t have a chance.” Taeyong said and Ten sat up straight and moved closer to Taeyong. The other boy let Ten pull him into his arms.

  “We did…” He said, ignoring the cold radiating from Taeyong. “But we would have to battle time.”

  “And time always wins.” Taeyong nodded and sat up. Ten let him slip out of his embrace. The two were swallowed by hopelessness, but then Ten gave Taeyong’s shoulder a slight push.

  “Promise me something.” He said and Taeyong looked at him with a small smile.

  “Anything.”

Ten chuckled. “Visit me often, will you? I’ve found a great friend in you.”

Taeyong pressed his lips together and blinked slowly, his hand finding Ten’s who looked like he was fighting back tears as well. Taeyong nodded. “Of course.” He promised and Ten laughed.

  “And be happy.” He said and Taeyong laughed and nodded, wiping away a tear that fell from his eye.

  “I promise.”

Ten smiled. “Thank you.” He said and Taeyong closed his eyes, tears falling down his cheeks. He slipped off the bed and steppd closer, cupping Ten’s face and pressing a kiss to his forehead.

  “Thank you too.”

 

 

 

They didn’t see each other again in a long time after that. Taeyong and Jaehyun found a new joy in their relationship and Taeyong took up the role of a guardian. He flew above cities with Jaehyun and kissed the other on the top of The Eiffel Tower. He loved him and found a love for himself and his life and Jaehyun smiled even brighter than before.

Ten saw Taeyong on the corner of the street after years had passed. The other looked over at him with a smile, his breath creating ghosts in the air. Ten who hurried across the street had never been so happy to feel cold. He embraced Taeyong and they laughed. They met as friends and no matter what they went through they met again, as friends. Ten battled life and its hardships, his love with Johnny didn’t last a lifetime but Ten didn’t speak of Johnny without looking like he missed the other. He became a great artist and Taeyong tried to ignore the wrinkles on the other’s face as time went by.

Then one day Jaehyun came home and told Taeyong that Ten had passed on. It was summer and Taeyong still went back to South Korea to attend Ten’s funeral, it was the coldest summer day in centuries. To Taeyong’s shock he saw Johnny there and for the first time they greeted each other without as much as a snide remark.

 

 

 

When Johnny’s time came, Taeyong created the worst snow storms of all time and Jaehyun didn’t stop the other but instead stood with him. Like he would stand with him until the end of time.

Taeyong remembered Ten’s smile often, but felt reassured and happy whenever he saw Jaehyun approach him, the golden eyes gleaming and the other smiling brighter than the moon.
Taeyong thought that Ten had been the sun, but he knew he could always trust the moon that would never fade nor leave him.


 

Even through all his hardships, Ten had made Taeyong realize something:

 

Life isn’t that dark a thing.

 

 

 

A/N:

So to be honest I didn't update because I was like: NAAAAAH IT CANNOT END SO SOON.
This end was much sadder wasn't it? But well, Jaehyun and Taeyong are immortal and Johnny and Ten are not and my heart is breaking.
Thank you all for reading this, if you're crying just know that I'm crying too, I'll reply to your comments and be sad/happy with you. <3

To all you Jaeyong shippers(or Johnten) I'm currently writing a chaptered fic that has 7 chapters already
AND I'M WRITING ON CHAPTER 16 SO I'M WAY AHEAD: 

Knowing

Once again thank you for reading, I'll miss this story, it's my start in the NCT fanfic community. NCT F. (lol)

See you in my other NCT fics, because I'll write more! <3

Love,
Emma. <3