Part 3.

Frost

 

Frost

 

Part 3.

3.473 words

 

Taeyong’s hands started to tremble, as he read through Ten’s file. His real name was Chittaphon and he was originally from Thailand but his family moved to Korea when he was 4. At the age of 7 he lost his family in a car accident where the other car involved had been speeding and because of the frozen road it couldn’t stop in time. His parents had died at the accident but his sister managed three days in the hospital, but then she eventually gave in to her injuries. Ten as he was called by friends because of his long name, came into the orphanage and he had hopes to be moved back to Thailand, but because of difficulties with legal custody he had to stay.

He was known to be a creative boy. When he put his mind to something he managed to do it. He was sure of his choices and was confident in himself. He loved to dance and sing and now had chosen a music line in college. When he turned 18 he moved into a dorm close to his school, and came back to play with the children and helped cleaning once in a while.

 

 

Jaehyun was watching Taeyong read with a worried expression. He pushed the files aside and took a seat beside Taeyong, his hand caressing Taeyong’s back.

  “It’s him.” Taeyong found his voice and he sobbed. “Oh no…” He cried and hid his face in Jaehyun’s shoulder. “Please it can’t be him.”

Jaehyun took the file instead and rested his head upon Taeyong’s softly humming a comforting tune and he closed his eyes. So the two were connected, and now Taeyong faced a hard decision.

He had to tell Ten that he was the one who froze the road over.

 

 

***

 

 

The world wasn’t always kind. Ten knew that. His family was stolen one winter and he found himself alone and without hope. Struggling with the temptation of following his family he found comfort in dance and music. He denied going outside in winter and felt lonely in summer. Still one day he decided that all was well, and somehow everything turned out to be okay.

One of the kind ladies at his orphanage whom he called Aunt or Auntie always felt like a mother figure to him. She told him of Jack Frost and Ten felt intimidated by this boy. She told him that Jack Frost was the best friend of a child and the worst enemy of an adult. She also told him that he should never ignore Jack Frost because the people who did always ended up unfortunate. She had stopped and given him a look that he couldn’t quite understand. It looked as if she wanted to say something but she didn’t have the heart to do so.

Ten knew something from his childhood was missing, and sometimes he asked of his parents but they always tried to avoid telling. “They were good parents.” His aunt had said. “They didn’t leave you by free will.”

Ten didn’t like driving in cars and one time he had been in a taxi that slightly slid to the right because of the smooth surface ground below and he had lost his breath. A terrible sensation of the car being pushed back and around by gravity made his heart stop for a few moments and he saw the image of two people in the front of the car hang with their arms above their heads. He saw a girl that looked a lot like him lie upon the roof, she was crying weakly and he was hanging upside down. A pale hand with a dark blue sleeve reached inside and pulled the girl out. Then a head of white hair appeared and frightened blue eyes connected with his. “Hey, I’m here, you’re going to be okay.”

Ten once slipped upon ice outside of the orphanage and he didn’t wear gloves. His bare hands touched the ice on the ground and he was shocked by the old memory again. A person with white hair and blue eyes sat in front of him, his blue shirt stained by blood. “I’m sorry.” The boy had cried and he raised a staff and pointed it at the car. “This will give them time.” He muttered and looked behind Ten, something in his face changed and Ten thought he had visibly seen the boy’s heart break. “I’m so sorry.” He cried and then moved aside when a woman came towards Ten and picked him up.

  “Oh my, are you okay? Do you hurt anywhere? Get them out of the car now!”

Amongst a gathering crowd the boy with blue eyes and pale hair vanished, and Ten always wondered why he had said that he was sorry.

 

 

 

Ten was doing his homework and practicing a dance he had to learn for the coming show at the school when he heard a knock on the window. He looked out the window, smile already on his lips as he expected Taeyong to be waving at him but instead he saw the boy with golden eyes.

Ten let him in and took a few steps back after closing the window. “How… can I help you?” He asked and the other boy just glanced around.

  “I thought you would be in school.”

  “It’s college.” Ten said. “Sometimes the lessons are scattered.” He explained and then smiled. Jaehyun watched the other smile, for a moment he understood why Taeyong had liked this person’s presence. He was bright and exciting in an odd way. He was different from Jaehyun and then again similar.

  “I just… wanted to introduce myself.” Jaehyun said and smiled. “I’m Jaehyun also known as Sandman.”

Ten gasped. “Yeah, Taeyong spoke of you, I guess I can thank you for the days when I couldn’t sleep and then finally did fall asleep.”

Jaehyun chuckled. “Yeah I make the children go to sleep but if others need my help I do that too.”

Ten just beamed and swung with his arms, glancing around the room. Jaehyun felt the awkwardness grow and looked around too trying to find something to say.

  “Taeyong is sleeping right now, he had a long night so… yeah, I just wanted to inform you that.” He said and Ten nodded with a small smile.

  “That’s okay.” He said and then watched Jaehyun step towards the window.

  “I should rest too.” He then said. “I have a job to do.” He chuckled and Ten waved the other goodbye as he watched the boy float away on a cloud of golden sand.

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyong wasn’t sleeping, he was pacing around the room as he suddenly didn’t see the small boy’s face anymore but Ten hang down from his seat, blood trickling down his face as he called for his family.

  “Sis!” He had called as Taeyong had pulled her out of the car, carefully placing her somewhere soft and safe. Then he came back for Ten who’s eyes connected with his. Helping the boy outside Taeyong couldn’t stop himself from crying. He watched Ten’s mother lie upon the roof, bend over because the seatbelt still held her up. She was gone.

 

How could Taeyong ever face Ten again, still he wanted to see the other so badly, he wanted to laugh with him, be his ghost friend and protect him from bullies. Taeyong kicked out and hit the wall. He was angry with himself, he was right back to the very start of the whole chaos.

 

 

***

 

 

  “Tae-” Jaehyun called reached out for Taeyong who was turning his home upside down. “Taeyong!” Jaehyun gasped when Taeyong threw the staff and half of the cave was covered in ice, including Jaehyun’s leg. He cried out and grabbed onto it and Taeyong frantically ran over, apologizing and crying. Jaehyun looked up with wide eyes and reached out to calm Taeyong but he fled from the touch.

  “I’m dangerous!” He said and reached out his hands to keep a distance between them. “I’m a murderer!” He said and then sobbed once more, eyes closing tightly and face turning away from Jaehyun. Taeyong tried to breathe in but he was choking, his whole body shaking as he tried to catch his breath. Jaehyun fought against the ice and got out of it, he hurried over and wrapped his arms around Taeyong, pulling him close. Taeyong breathed in deeply and clung to Jaehyun. “I’m a monster...” He cried and wished that he could wake him up from this nightmare but the feeling of Jaehyun’s warm body against his and the other’s fingers gripping tightly onto his sweatshirt told him that it was real.

Taeyong pushed the other away and got up on his legs. “I can’t.” He said and held his mask when he saw Jaehyun’s face contort into an expression of agony.
  “No… don’t.” He cried and tried to get up but Taeyong closed his eyes and stepped away. “No!” Jaehyun begged. “Please!” He reached out for Taeyong who stepped away again and then Jaehyun ran forward and tackled the other to the ground. “Don’t you dare!” He yelled. “Don’t push me away!”

Taeyong watched the other’s golden tears and he felt the pain from when Jaehyun threw his fists at his chest. Still he didn’t say anything, he’d rather want Jaehyun to feel hurt than Jaehyun to die. Taeyong looked away when Jaehyun buried his face in his chest, his shirt and pulling at him.

For a few moments they stayed like that before Taeyong pushed the other away again and Jaehyun held on. The two battled each other before Taeyong ran, grabbing the staff and fleeing into the wind and he was carried away.

Jaehyun called out for him but they didn’t see each other in a long time after that.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyong’s heart ached as he thought back at how terrible he had been to Jaehyun. He couldn’t ever forgive himself for that, no matter how willing Jaehyun was to forgive him.

Taeyong was so angry so caught up in the pain he felt that he didn’t notice the grey clouds rise above him in the sky, nor the wind that seemed to gather strength. A giant snowstorm began so sudden and Ten who was walking to school was swept up and slid to the ground.

Ten crossing a road when he fell and he lied on his back when he saw other people hold onto anything in their reach.

  “Taeyong!” He gasped as he tried to get up on his feet. He noticed a bus up on the hill begin to slide and then he noticed where he had fallen, right in the very middle of the road. He tried to get on his feet but almost couldn’t see as the snow was blown into his eyes. “Taeyong!” He screamed with all his might as he hoped he was crawling in the right direction. “Jack Frost!”

 

Taeyong felt the pull at his heart and he turned around to look outside with widened eyes. He ran into the storm and flew in the direction of where he had heard his name being called.

He landed in front of Ten who was curled into a small ball. “Ten!” He called as he watched the buss fall on its side and slide with a dangerous speed towards them. “Ten do you hear me?!”

Taeyong frowned and he spun around to see that Ten’s eyes were distant and that he was hyperventilating. Taeyong crouched down and held the other’s arm in a tight grip. “Ten!” He called and their eyes met, both of them was for a glimpse pulled back to the very first time they had seen each other and Ten frowned. “You?” He gasped and Taeyong turned away to look at the bus.

Then gathered his hands in front of him and pointed the staff at the bus. With all the strength he could muster up he forced the cold out of him and towards the bus. When he opened his eyes he saw a wall of ice hold the bus in place and that the strong wind and snow had vanished.

He turned around to look at Ten who was looking at bus with a slacked jaw. Taeyong wrapped his arms around Ten and without any words he sprang up and let the wind carry them to Ten’s room.

The two fell to their knees in exhaustion and Taeyong pulled the window closed before letting himself sink to the ground and catch his breath.

 

 

  “You…” Ten breathed and spun around to face Taeyong. “You were there.” He said in a voice that was far from cheerful. Taeyong looked at the other with wide eyes.

  “I-”

  “I was always told that winter stole away my parents.” Ten almost snarled. “In a car accident.” He silenced and narrowed his eyes on Taeyong and Taeyong almost felt like hiding from the other’s gaze. “You did it?” It sounded more like a statement than a question and Ten looked away.

  “I remember it, the other car couldn’t stop and my father couldn’t turn.” Ten’s eyes were wide. “Because of the ice below the wheels none of them could control their cars.”

Taeyong tried to reach out for Ten who pulled away his hand as if Taeyong’s touch burned. “Did you know?” He asked. “Did you know it was me?”

Taeyong opened his mouth, trying to find his voice.

  “You did, didn’t you?” Ten said his jaw clenched and eyes squinted. “Please tell me you didn’t know!”

Taeyong’s face turned blank and then he crawled forward. Ten’s eyes widened and Taeyong grabbed the collar of the other’s jacket, holding him in place as he pressed his lips to Ten’s. The other released a sound of protest and gripped at Taeyong’s sleeves. The kiss only lasted for a few moments before Ten fought his way out of the other’s grip. His eyes were teary and his bangs sticking to his forehead because of the snow that had drenched it.

Taeyong’s hands dropped to his side and he then pushed himself up. Ten didn’t look at him, he was covering his mouth and heaving in breaths.

  “I’m sorry…”

Taeyong stepped back, grabbing his staff and exiting through the window. When he looked back he saw Ten eye him out of the corner of his eye and Taeyong felt the glare stab at his heart. He dropped down and let the wind carry him away, leaving the window open.

What had he done?

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Ten walked to school the next day with fast steps. He didn’t see Taeyong at the corner and he didn’t meet him on his way to school. He passed Johnny and his other smoking friends with such speed the guy didn’t even get to open his mouth before Ten was gone and he was quick to throw down his bag and pull out his school things just to get his mind off yesterday.

Why had Taeyong kissed him?

Ten gasped as he felt the other’s lips again as if he was right there and he quickly rubbed the feeling away with his hand. It had made his heart flutter, but it hadn’t erased his anger. Taeyong had caused the accident that took away his family and now Ten realized that he passed the place where it had happened every day on his way to school. Ten shuddered and rubbed his back and shoulder. A small voice inside of his head told him that Taeyong had been standing there every day to remind himself of it, and that he sounded like it was the biggest regret of his life. He had also said “I’ve seen you before.” But at that time it didn’t look like he knew Ten.

Ten gritted his teeth and curled his right hand into a fist. Still Taeyong was the biggest idiot of all idiots. Ten sighed and leaned over his table. That sounded silly. Why didn’t he hate Taeyong? He should hate the other. Yeah he saved him from a bus when Ten was panicking once again… Still he killed… He was the cause of the accident. Ten covered his eyes and leaned back in his chair.

  “Don’t cry.” He whispered.

  “Why are you crying?”

Ten froze for a moment and then he sighed deeply. “Why aren’t you sitting at the very back of the class as usual?”

  “Why are you crying?” The deep voice replied with a defensive tone.

Ten dropped his hands and turned to face Johnny. “Aren’t you afraid of being haunted too?” He snapped and watched Johnny’s eyes widen for a moment but then he smiled smugly.

  “Like I would.” He said and rubbed his arm where Taeyong had hit him. “Now you didn’t answer my question.” He then said and Ten’s nose crinkled and he sighed once again.

  “Because I just remembered that my whole family died in an accident in winter.”

Johnny’s whole expression changed and he actually put a hand on Ten’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.” He said with a light frown. “I didn’t know.”

  “Well choose the right person to bully then. Or wait, maybe try not bullying anyone.” Ten leaned away from Johnny’s touch. “I’m not in the mood to talk right now.” He then said and hid his face in his hands.

Johnny nodded. “I understand.” He then said. “Hey if you want to get your mind off it you could come to my party this Friday?”

Ten straightened his back slightly so that he didn’t hide his face in his hands anymore and looked up. “Why would I attend your party?”

Johnny smiled. “Because I’m awesome.”

Ten laughed and Johnny pointed at him with an ‘ooh!’ Then Ten shook his head and tried to keep an uninterested expression on his face.

Johnny kept smiling. “You’re invited. I have alcohol so you don’t need to bring some. 8 pm, okay?”

Ten nodded while looking away, waving dismissively with his hand. “Alright alright.” He said and Johnny grinned and hit the table.

  “Ghost boy is in!” He cheered and Ten snickered. Maybe Johnny was stupid for smoking but he was a cheerful person. He just liked to pick on people to make other people laugh, which wasn’t a nice trait. But he was known for throwing the greatest parties. Ten should attend it, he had attended two before and they were great. Maybe this would take his mind off certain lips…

 

 

***

 

 

  “I thought it was my job to watch over sleeping children.” Jaehyun said as he floated up beside Taeyong who was sitting in Ten’s window-sill.

Taeyong glared at the other. “Knock it off.” He growled.

  “Sorry.” Jaehyun said with a raised hands. “I’ve put him to sleep already, shouldn’t you freeze some stuff?”

  “No.” Taeyong said expression dropping as he watched Ten turn over to lie on his side. “Maybe I should let this winter end early.” He wondered and Jaehyun sighed.

  “I’ve put children to sleep who then never woke up again, Taeyong.” He said and leaned against the wall. “Still that isn’t my fault, at least they had nice dreams.” He added but he didn’t sound totally untouched by this.

Taeyong eyed him. “Really?”

  “Yeah.” Jaehyun nodded. “Not everything we do is amazingly good, you know?”

Taeyong shrugged.

  “And you of all people are the adults’ worst nightmare and the children’s dream.” He laughed. “But we will meet people that dislike us. I make children that wait for the Tooth Fairy to arrive fall asleep. I make them sleep even if they want to stay up all night to practice for a test. It makes them hate or dislike me.” Jaehyun held the other’s gaze. “Not all children love the slippery stairs.” He added. “Some fall and hurt themselves, others laugh and slide across the ice on purpose.”

Taeyong looked at Ten again. “So what is it? Is it my fault?”

Jaehyun shook his head. “The other car was speeding, if he had heard the news of ice on the roads and actually listened then they would’ve been okay. You didn’t drive the other car.” Jaehyun exhaled deeply and was for a moment thankful for the fact that he could finally talk about this with Taeyong without him leaving. There was hope. Taeyong wanted to forgive himself. “You did your job and that speeding car didn’t. Don’t abandon everything for someone else’s mistake.”

Taeyong’s head dropped and Jaehyun watched the other bite his lip but his shoulders still trembled.

  “Talk to him.” Jaehyun said even though his whole body was against that advice. Still he knew that was what Taeyong needed to do before he could forgive himself. Jaehyun held Taeyong’s gaze. “Forgive yourself.”

Then Jaehyun floated off, leaving Taeyong alone, the boy’s eyes focused on Ten’s sleeping figure.

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello to all the new subs who have arrived since last chapter! <3
A lot have whished for a JaeYong ending even though I had already decided on TaeTen long ago. BUT now I've written an alternative ending,
and it begins half-way through part 4. Becuase I needed to change some things for it to have a better flow. It's going to be VERY different, but I had to take a whole new turn and re-think the characters' choices and how they would handle the situation. 
 - I love both pairings, so I don't mind and I really enjoy writing on this story. ^^

 

If you have any questions or want to hear thoughts or news of my upcoming fics then you can follow my tumblr blog called tenlion.
I have a new fic in mind and will post some posters or sneak peeks, just to see if it's a good plot to write and if people want it. It will have the pairings of this fic but Mark will be the main character. 

 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'll post the next in a weeks time. Please leave a comment I love to hear your thoughts! <3
(Are you JaeYong shippers excited for an Alternative Ending with JaeYong?)

See you guys soon!

Love,
Emma. <3