Part 1.

Frost

 

Frost

Part 1.

4.337 words


 

On the corner of the road he stood there, surrounded by swirls of snowflakes that danced around him. His hair was pale and blew in the wind, blue eyes squinting ahead, watching the cars go their ways. His hands were hidden in his pockets and he wore a dark blue sweatshirt. He was frowning, looking as if he was trying to remember something. Behind him the park folded out and sometimes the boy turned towards the park and then at last he walked that way.
Ten never saw him arrive to the corner, but he always stood there, every morning. Squinting ahead, jaw clenched and from time to time releasing puffs of air. His breath looked like a ghost in the cold morning air and Ten once had to pass him and heard him release a small groan as he breathed out.

He never confronted the boy, he just watched him all morning until he had to leave for school. College classes was always mixed up, so some morning he missed and other morning he could sit there for an hour, just waiting for this white-haired boy to do something.

It was early February and Ten had watched this boy the past two winters. He didn’t seem to age, he didn’t seem to change at all. He just stood there.

Ten was completely different form the boy; his hair was black, eyes brown, skin darker and he hated the cold. He was always packed comfily in a thick duvet jacket and black boots. He drank his tea as he kept one eye on the boy, shuddering when a strong wind seemed to make the boy shift to the left and then fall back into his stance. Ten as he was called by his friends, considering his long name; Chittaphon, rubbed his up-turned nose and wondered if he should confront this boy. Still the cold always seemed to frightening.

Then one Friday morning he decided to get up and follow this mysterious snow boy through the park. Didn’t he go to school? Ten thought as he zipped up his jacket and wrapped his grey scarf safely around his neck and face. Running his fingers through his black hair, he pulled on a dark green beanie and matching gloves and then he walked down the staircase and outside, black boots sinking into the snow. The boy on the corner released a breath and Ten focused on the small ghostly shape and then noticed his own visible breath. Today it wasn’t snowing, but the snow didn’t melt and covered the world around them as a white blanket.

Ten crossed the road and walked towards the boy, but then he turned around. Gaze thrown downwards and Ten froze as the boy walked towards him. The boy moved around Ten elegantly even though he hadn’t looked up. Ten waited a second and then followed.

Nothing really happened, other than the boy kept flicking snowflakes or ice into the snow below him. Ten didn’t see him pick it up, and wondered if he carried snow in his pockets. They were heading towards the frozen lake. The boy then suddenly turned towards the deep snow, going off the path. Ten eyed the snow and then chose to watch the boy from afar.

He reached into a tree and pulled out a wooden staff. It was crooked at the end, like a large cane. Ten frowned and then his eyes widened when the boy pointed the cane towards the ground and then was swept up on a soil of ice. He skated upon it towards the lake which he circled. Few children were playing in the snow and the white-haired boy landed in a tree above them before shaking the branch he stood on, making snow fall down upon the kids. Ten chuckled, it was the first time he saw another expression upon the boy’s face except a frown. He was laughing, eyes the shape of a new moon, and voice boyishly deep. Ten blinked and wondered if the boy had seen him follow the other, but it didn’t seem like he noticed, too busy with teasing the few people in the park.

Ten grabbed a handful of snow and pressed it into a ball. What if he teased the boy first?

Without much thought he threw the ball and gasped when it hit the boy on the back of the head. The boy froze for a moment and then turned around with widened eyes. Ten ran.

 

 

***

 

 

The snow had fallen, the world outside was bright and lit up the room where two siblings slept. A head of brown unruly hair stuck out from a blanket and then a face appeared. He had always been pale, but now he had much more of a healthy glow. He peeked up at the window and noticed the blur of snow falling. Then his brown eyes widened and he sprang up.

  “Sis!” He exclaimed. “It’s snowing!” He cheered and his sister woke up and swung her bare feet over the edge of the bed, joining her brother by the window. She was barely tall enough to look out, and he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her up. The girl gawped.

  “It really is!” She squealed and the kids ran into the kitchen of the small hut. Their mother was making porridge for their breakfast and the kids ate hungrily. Past snowy hills, they made their way down the mountain and towards the lake below. They were going ice-skating.

 

 

The boy’s name was Taeyong. His whole face lit up when he smiled but he was known for his piercing gaze. One that his sister had never been bared to, she had only seen him glare once when some kids . She had the same dark brown hair as he had. Eyebrows thick like his but face more round like their mother’s. The two skated over the lake. Taeyong keeping his sister in a strong grip. Then he let her go watching her carefully skate by herself.


CRACK.

The sound was deep, as if it came from the deep below them. Taeyong and his sister’s eyes connected in horror. They both looked down, but there were no cracks below his feet. He raised his gaze and saw her knees shake as the ice below her released warning sounds as a web of rifts spread. Taeyong skated back carefully, telling his sister to stay still. Then he grabbed his wooden staff and skated as close as possible. Then a warning sound made them flinch as the ice below him threatened to break too. The dark haired boy reached out the cane and wrapped it around his sister’s waist. Their eyes stayed connected as he spoke calming words.

  “Don’t worry sis, you’re safe with me.”

  “Brother, I’m scared…” She whimpered and Taeyong shook his head when she nearly looked down again.

  “Let’s…” Taeyong smiled. “Let’s play a game.” He smiled and she nodded. “When I count to three, you’ll fly.” He told her. “Close your eyes and imagine that you’re standing on a frozen road and at the end of it, there’s the softest snow.” Taeyong said voice a little unsteady, but he kept wearing a smile. His sister’s eyes were closed and she smiled as well. “Remember mom always gives us warm milk when we’re drenched.” He chuckled and she giggled and nodded again. “So don’t worry about the snow at the end, you’ll go home to mom afterwards and you’ll get warm again.”

Taeyong felt the ice below him creak. He focused his gaze upon her.

  “1 - 2.” He counted. “3!”

Then he swung the staff and she was pushed across the ice that now roared and as she slid across the lake to the thicker ice close to ground, she saw the ice below Taeyong give in and he fell into the darkness, stolen from her on that snowy day.

 

 

Pitch black. Amongst twilight a sudden blue glow appeared above and pale grabby hands reached up towards the round shape. A voice spoke to him and he noticed the ice break away above him and reveal the largest moon he had ever seen. He soared through the water and flew out of the icy deep, floating higher and higher. Then he dropped and landed upon the lake below. Frost stretched its way over the ground his feet touched.

The boy stood, looking down his drenched clothes that had gone from brown to dark blue with silver patterns. He held his breath and exhaled with a small groan, what was this? There was snow below him he should shake violently, but all he did was gasp for air.

He noticed a wooden staff at his feet and crouched down to pick it up. Silver blue frost spread across where he touched it and he smiled.

Then it occurred to the boy, what had just happened, and he spun around to scan the area. It was winter, the moon lit up the darkness, giving it all a blue glow. His sister was nowhere to be seen.

Taeyong called her name and heard his voice echo, bouncing off the hills. He turned to look at the path that led towards his home. For a moment frowning at the sight of stairs, but he ran with all his might. When he sprang the staff bristled with blue sparks, and he eyed it nervously. What had happened? Why was he still alive?

  “Your name is Frost.”

Taeyong slid to a stop and shook his head. He recalled a voice, it sounded when he first opened his eyes and looked at the moon above the water. The boy frowned and then continued his sprint.

An abandoned hut lied where his house once had rested comfortably. The front door was falling off its hinges and it looked like it had been at the mercy of the harsh weather for many years. Taeyong held his breath and walked inside the dark house. Wishing for a bit of light he was shocked to see the cane glow a light blue. He looked around, checked his room, but everything was either in ruins or gone. He found a small crystal ring in the color green. It was a ring he had seen his father and mother wear. It was his father’s wedding gift for his mother.

Taeyong’s grip around the ring tightened and he exited the house. Then he finally breathed in shakingly, letting out a cry he had held in. When he looked up at his bangs he saw them look white in the moon’s light and he released a scream and gripped it tightly. He didn’t understand what was happening to him.

 

 

It was a lonely winter. Taeyong spent it all on the mountain, waiting for his family to come home, waiting for the moon to tell him what he was supposed to do. When the snow was melting he had grown tired of freezing it again with the cane, he walked back to the lake. It was early morning, the sun’s light was a pale gold and Taeyong looked into the water to see his reflection look back at him. His hair was as he thought it looked like, it was white. He almost could not recognize himself and used his cane to freeze the water again.

Then the wind rustled in him and he looked the way it went. He jumped a little on his feet and felt himself being lifted up by the wind. A smile graced his lips, this wasn’t the end.

Letting the wind take him to colder areas he found himself enjoying to settle into cities where he froze their water and made the ground slippery. Still the worst thing was that no one could see him, but whenever he made them laugh by making great paths where they could sledge down, he felt happy. Taeyong went by many names, but one he heard the most was Jack Frost.

Still as time went by he was merely a name, not one to be believed in.

 

 

When winter hit his home country, he always stayed there, close to the lake where he once had lived. It was a faraway memory of something he had done and some life he had lived. He didn’t notice the day he stopped remembering.

Then he became a guardian, saving the children across the earth and defeating Pitch Black. It was long ago. Now he had kind of lost his spirit ever since… ever since he had made this road slippery and that car couldn’t stop… That girl’s father hadn’t seen it…

He didn’t care about the other car driving too fast. He had killed that little girl and her family except a boy that seemed to be her older brother.

 

 

Then he felt snow hit the back of his head and he froze. Slowly he turned around and his eyes connected with a pair of brown orbs. The two looked at each other both looking confused.

  “Do you… see me?” Taeyong asked and the boy nodded. Then he his heels and ran as fast as he cold through the snow. Taeyong tried to follow but instead just watched the boy run. Something in him made him not follow the other. He didn’t know why.

It was night outside, but Ten was standing anxiously and looking outside of his window. Why shouldn’t Ten be able to see that boy? What was he? How did he make snow and ice like that? Ten looked away from the park and went to his laptop, hastily searching upon what he had just seen.

 

 

***

 

 

  “Why are you not sleeping?”

Taeyong looked up and saw a tall boy with a reddish brown hair approach him. He wore a kind smile that lit up his whole face and small trails of golden sand followed him. Taeyong noticed the other raised his hand and Taeyong grabbed it. “I don’t want to sleep, Jaehyun.” He said and let go of the other’s hand. “I’m thinking.”

The boy called Jaehyun still beamed and took a seat on the bench beside Taeyong. “Can I ask what you’re thinking about?”

Taeyong smiled at himself as he thought of telling what he was thinking of. It sounded ridiculous. “A boy.” He then said honestly, knowing Jaehyun would never judge and was always such a kind soul. His eyes were golden too and he had dimples when he smiled, which he often did.

  “Aah…” Jaehyun realized. “So you’ve fallen in love.” He said smile vanishing but then reappearing again.

Taeyong’s eyes widened. “Oh no!” He exclaimed. “No! Not love! Just he saw me and he… even threw a snowball at me. Then when I asked if he could see me, he just ran.” Taeyong frowned. “Why would he run?”

Jaehyun chuckled, sounding relieved. “Someone believes in you.” He said.

  “Yeah but this is not just a boy he could be in college.”

  “Well that’s an odd age to believe in, though few children seem to hold on even when they’ve grown up. After all it is the parents who tell them the stories, isn’t it?”

Taeyong nodded, he absentmindedly touched the golden trails of dust floating around Jaehyun. “I think I’ve seen him before.”

  “You’ve stayed at this place every winter.” Jaehyun said now with a more serious tone. “I could relieve you of your nightmares if you would let me stay.”

Taeyong shook his head. “I’m grateful but… I do not deserve it and do not waste time on me, Jae.”

The other boy smiled again and he needed only smile to calm Taeyong. “You’re not a waste of time.” He said and then raised a hand to caress Taeyong’s white hair. “Where do you sleep?”

  “In my frosty lair.” Taeyong said with a grin and the two floated across the lake and up the hill. Reaching a wall of rock Taeyong pressed his staff to the wall and they were let into a frosty but comfortable cave. Jaehyun was still smiling as he looked around.

  “It’s a long time since I’ve stayed here.” He said and gazed at Taeyong who lowered his gaze and looked away.

  “It is…” He agreed breathlessly and then hurried towards his bed. Jaehyun followed and when Taeyong sat down the other automatically followed but Taeyong stopped him. “Just… help me fall asleep. I can ask of no more.”

Jaehyun’s jaw clenched but he nodded with a tight smile. “I’ll take my leave when I’m sure your dreams are safe.”

Taeyong nodded, knowing he couldn’t convince Jaehyun to leave earlier. He wouldn’t budge.

As the other lied down to sleep, Jaehyun raised a hand and with dancing fingers led the golden sand towards Taeyong who as soon he was touched fell into a deep sleep. Snowflakes danced around above his head, shaped by the golden sand. Jaehyun leaned down and pressed a kiss to Taeyong’s forehead. “Sweet dreams.”


 

***

 

 

Taeyong woke up feeling warm, which he so rarely did. He looked beside him, almost expecting to see the golden eyes look back at him, but Jaehyun had kept his promise. He had left when Taeyong slept. The white haired boy hid his face in his hands. He regretted it at times, pushing everything away and denying his guardian title when that incident happened. He was a murderer. He couldn’t ask anyone to sleep with a murderer and a thief. He stole that boy’s family away from him, and he didn’t know where he was now. He lost track of him when he mourned and fell into seasons of depression. Jaehyun couldn’t penetrate the cold wind around Taeyong and had to watch from afar. The two of them separated by Taeyong’s frozen heart that seemed to turn grey and fade. Jaehyun was nearly stabbed by an icicle one night when he tried to calm Taeyong and ever since then Taeyong didn’t want him near him. He was too dangerous.

Taeyong shuddered as he felt Jaehyun’s lips against his neck and he rubbed the spot. It was a long time ago and it was in the past.

 

 

Taeyong went to the corner again, reliving everything to force himself to remember his mistakes so that he never would make them again. He stood there in deep pain when he felt someone touch his shoulder. For a short moment he thought of the golden eyes, but then he felt a different presence. He turned around and then gasped. It was the boy from before. He was taller, had very childish features and an up-turned nose, his hair was pitch black and he smiled shyly. For a short moment Taeyong felt the same vibe come from this boy as Jaehyun.

  “I’m sorry to- disturb- I was just… you stand here… a lot… And I- ehm- why?” Taeyong frowned but he was focused on the other’s face and shy gestures as he spoke.

He shivered and rubbed his neck while looking away, trying his best to speak a coherent sentence, but it wasn’t easy. Taeyong took himself in not getting anything. “What?”

The boy’s eyes widened at hearing his voice. “Eeh…” He began and then chuckled, face lighting up when he smiled as a beacon of light. “I was wondering why you stand here… You do it every morning.” He finally seemed to be able to finish a sentence and Taeyong blinked. For how long had the boy been able to see him?

  “To remember.” Taeyong found himself blurting out and he regretted it immediately.

  “Remember what? May I ask?” The other boy stuffed his hands into his pockets.

Taeyong eyed the other and then began walking towards the park. The other followed behind. “Something I did.” He replied shortly.

The boy hummed. “Did you build a castle of ice? I’ve see what you can do and its marvelous!”

Taeyong stopped and narrowed his eyes upon the boy. “Nothing that I do is marvelous.” He said coldly.

The boy looked taken aback. “Well…” He started. “I must say I don’t see everyone go about and skate on ice that they create themselves.” He eyed Taeyong’s thin sweatshirt. “Or wear such little clothes in Korea when it’s winter.”

Taeyong blinked. “You don’t know.” He then said. “And you can’t know.” He added when he noticed the boy’s lips start moving. He wanted to freeze them shut.

  “Aah…” The boy once again rubbed his nape. “Well if it’s personal I won’t bother you. Still… Can I ask what… you are?”

  “Who.” Taeyong corrected him.

  “Who!” The other replied enthusiastically.

Taeyong nearly rolled his eyes. “I’m known by different names… Jack Frost or just Frost.”

  “Frost! Ah, Frost!” The other gasped. Then he suddenly looked distant before shaking his head. “I was always told that…” He silenced. Taeyong thought he saw sadness in the other’s eyes. Why would the thought of his name make the boy look this sad and lonely?

  “My Korean name is Taeyong.” He said instead and the other beamed.

  “I’m Ten.” He said and Taeyong smiled. Ten… a strange name indeed.

  “Well then Ten. Don’t you have business to attend to?”

Then shook his head. “It’s Saturday.” He smiled.

Taeyong’s expression fell. Saturday? Seriously? How could he be miserable and alone with this boy tagging along?

  “You seem well rested today.” The boy suddenly said and Taeyong’s eyes flickered to him. He could only thank Jaehyun for that.

  “Yeah, I didn’t have nightmares.” Taeyong said before heading over to take his staff. Ten’s eyes widened. Taeyong eyed the other and watched Ten shake his head. “Are you okay?” He asked because Ten had tears in his eyes. The other leaned forward and rested his hands on his knees.

  “It’s happening again…” He panted and tried to take deep breaths. “Oh god…” He gasped and fell down on one knee. Taeyong put down the staff and helped the other up again.

  “What’s happening?” He asked and looked around, it must look weird to see one lonely boy leaning against nothing.

  “They say it’s a childhood trauma that I’ve purposely forgotten. It comes back here again when I touch bare ice or when it’s cold...”

Taeyong grimaced. Then he hated him, he thought and grabbed the other’s chin to check his eyes. Ten winced, but then he noticed how Taeyong held his breath, then it came out in a puff and he released a small sound with it. “I’ve seen you before.” He said and Ten frowned, their eyes close. Taeyong was sure of it, he remembered those eyes but from where? How could he not remember where he had seen them?

 

 

Taeyong had helped Ten get home. He assisted Ten in getting into bed but the other still seemed locked in the trauma and Taeyong knew very well of it. Then he flew out of his window and towards his home. He used his staff to freeze some water in a small stone bowl that he had. He knocked on it three times and then a face appeared in the ice. He glowed golden.

  “I need your help.” Taeyong said and closed his eyes as he remembered how many times he had said, ‘I need you’, instead. The face surrounded by golden light vanished. Then not long after that the other stood behind him.

  “What can I help you with?” Jaehyun asked with a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

Taeyong felt saddened by the sight. “The boy I told you of… he needs rest but he can’t…” Taeyong didn’t know how to explain.

Jaehyun nodded. “Take me to him.”

 

 

Jaehyun stood with his hands clenched into fists, fingers rubbing against each other. He was looking at Ten who was currently in Taeyong’s embrace, as the other tried to calm him down. “Breathe in deeply.” He heard Taeyong say and Ten heaved in deep but short breaths.

  “I’m stuck, mom, I’m stuck.” Ten said in a shaky small voice and Jaehyun kneeled down beside the bed, eyes fleetingly meeting Taeyong’s. Then he touched Ten’s forehead and golden sand bursted out from his fingers and in a second, Ten fell limply against Taeyong; fast asleep.

The white haired boy sighed deeply, for a split second resting his head against Ten’s before helping the boy to lie in a comfortable position. Jaehyun watched him and Taeyong turned to look at him.

  “What is it?” He asked face blank and Jaehyun fumed.

Sand seemed to rise around him and Taeyong grimaced, knowing the other was angry. Jaehyun’s teeth where gritted. “What is it? How can you ask that?” He hissed and stepped away from Taeyong who reached out for him. “You pushed me away.” Jaehyun said, eyes tearing up but he blinked furiously to keep his eyes dry.

Taeyong’s hand fell to his side and he looked at Jaehyun, eyes portraying the same sadness Jaehyun had seen in them for such a long time. “I’m s-”

  “Sorry.” Jaehyun finished the other’s sentence. “I know.” He said then locked gazes with the other. “It’s the worst. I’m fighting you… to get to you…” Jaehyun looked confused. “Can’t you forgive yourself?”

  “No.” Taeyong said sternly. “Never.”

  “I’ll find the boy.” Jaehyun said. “I’ll find him and I’ll make him forgive you, so that you can forgive yourself and let yourself be happy!”

Taeyong looked at Jaehyun pleadingly but the other floated up and out of the window, leaving Taeyong alone with Ten. Taeyong eyed the other. “What is your connection with me?” He wondered.

Could it be the boy? Taeyong shook his head. The boy should be younger, so many years haven’t passed. He should be in high school. Or had Taeyong lost track of time?

Taeyong sat down beside Ten’s bed, keeping a distance so that he didn’t make him cold. It couldn’t be him. He showed his face to the boy and the boy would probably hate him, not approach him with such a kind attitude as Ten did. The boy would remember his family’s murderer.

 

 

A/N:

So I have no idea og how long this is going to be, but I'm making a part 2, and will not deny a part 3. Still I can't promise that either.
I'm not sure of who Taeyong should end up with, so I'll leave a poll (Taeten won) by this chapter and maybe that will carve my way for the next.
 - Please leave lots of feedback, since it's my first NCT/SM Rookies fanfic it would be nice to hear your thoughts!

Lots of love, Emma. <3