Part 5.

Frost

 

Frost


Part 5.


'Final.'


2.922 words.

 

 

It was December and Taeyong stood in front of the lake, watching the ice take over the surface as he pressed his staff to it. This year it would be frozen solid until the end of February. The winter he spent in Australia was boring and he flew to colder areas in hope to find some cold. He loved spending time with penguins who liked when he flew up and created castles of ice.

Still he often had to sit down and ease the pain in his chest as he missed the eyes that had the shape of a new moon when the person smiled, or the sweet voice, like velvet. Taeyong decided that he would go back to the place in winter. He stood on the corner in the morning and by the lake at evening. One dark evening a tall figure came his way and to his disappointment Johnny came walking over and placed a flower in the snow. Taeyong glared at him and the latter turned to look at him.

  “You’re back.” His deep voice said and Taeyong purposely made his even deeper.

  “And you’re still here.” He said and then turned to leave.

  “Hey,” Johnny called and ran forward. “We didn’t really talk.”

Taeyong groaned. “No wonder.”

Johnny’s long legs quickly passed Taeyong and he stood in his way. Taeyong was painfully reminded of when he did it to Ten. Johnny hid his hands in his pockets. “Listen I- I made a bad choice that night. And I owe you a thank you for saving my life and saving Ten.”

Taeyong’s eyes were downcast. “I didn’t save Ten.”

  “You brought him out of the water.” Johnny said. “I saw you at the funeral. You created a small castle of ice with that… staff.” Johnny pointed at the staff. “What kind of ghost are you?”

Taeyong sighed. “I’m Jack Frost.”

  “Jack… Jack aaah! Jack!” Johnny gasped. “I heard of you in America.”

The corners of Taeyong’s mouth pointed down. “You’re there too?” He muttered disappointedly.

Johnny cleared his throat. “Were you close?” He then asked in a small voice.

Taeyong didn’t know what to say. Were they close? “I would say that.” Taeyong shrugged.

Johnny looked sad. “I’m so sorry.” He said.

Taeyong shook his head. He was tired of hearing people say they were sorry, what did it help? “How often do you come here?” He asked and Johnny looked out towards the lake.

  “Every Friday.”

  “Even in summer?” Taeyong was surprised, so that tall idiot did care.

Johnny nodded. “Even in summer.” He said and the two fell into silence. After a few moments of reliving the terrible evening together Johnny wiped his cheeks and said his goodbye. Taeyong waved at him without taking his eyes off the lake. Then he flew up upon a roof top and decided to take a small-talk with the moon.

  “I’m not stupid, you know.” He said. “I heard the rumors of him being buried but his body wasn’t there.” Taeyong looked down for a moment. “There was no church ceremony. He was Buddhist. Did you know?” Taeyong laughed. “Like my mother and father, we believed in the same thing.”

Taeyong silenced and took a minute to think. “I wonder if he’s reborn already?”

Taeyong pressed his palms to his eyes. “I miss him.” He muttered.

  “I miss you too.”

Taeyong put down his hands and turned his head. For a short moment he thought he was seeing things but then he saw the shape of the boy’s breath like a ghost in the dark night air. Taeyong moved closer, his blue eyes wide as he took in the sight.

It was Ten. It wasn’t exactly Ten like the one he knew, his eyes were green, dark hair a tad longer, but besides that he looked like he did before. He still wore the green button-up shirt he had worn that day. Taeyong reached out and grabbed onto the fabric, feeling Ten’s warmth through it. He bit his lip hard not to cry out already as he pulled the other towards him. Ten smiled, trying hard not to cry as he let Taeyong embrace him tightly. “I’m sorry.” He cried even though he had just thought it was ridiculous to say it, he couldn’t help himself.

Ten rested his chin upon the other’s shoulder. “It’s okay.” He said in a rough voice, a tear falling down his cheek. “I’ve forgiven you.” Ten said and hid his face in Taeyong’s shirt and Taeyong sobbed and smiled as he rested his head on top of Ten’s.

  “I thought you hated me.” He said, blinking to stop his tears from continuing to fall. He couldn’t believe that he was sitting with Ten there, in his arms, safely in his arms.

Ten sat up but the two still held onto each other. “I never did.” He said honestly. “After meeting you that night, looking into your eyes again… I realized that I could never hate you. You didn’t do it to hurt anyone, it’s your job to tease people, and… you didn’t drive the other car. You stopped our car from exploding when you froze the motor. You got us out and… you tried to save us.” Ten wiped away his tears and grabbed Taeyong’s hand in his. “I forgive you. Please forgive yourself and be happy, Taeyong.”

 

Taeyong nodded and then laughed through his tears, feeling the weight on his shoulders lift. The two sat beside each other in silence, Taeyong held Ten’s hand in his, drawing patterns on the back of his hand. Warmth radiated from Ten and Taeyong sighed, he felt at ease. Both of them thought back to their short time together and then they both remembered the kiss.

Taeyong stopped the patterns and put his hand on top of Ten’s, frowning lightly as he thought of how to approach this conversation. Ten was looking down.

  “Ten I…” Taeyong tried to swallow and then cleared his throat. “I’m sorry for kissing you that day.”

Ten blinked and looked at Taeyong. He didn’t say anything so Taeyong tried to find an explanation for what he had done.

  “I just…” He thought hard. Why did he kiss Ten? He couldn’t explain it.

Ten smiled. “It’s okay.” He said and Taeyong looked up and grinned. Ten copied the other’s expression. “Just…” He then added. “Please warn me next time.” He chuckled and Taeyong blushed, he didn’t know what to say so he just nodded.

The two watched the stars and the moon together, then Ten shuddered. Taeyong wanted to pull him closer but wasn’t sure if he was much help. Ten moved even closer and snuggled up against Taeyong, his nose tickling Taeyong’s neck.

  “I fell in love with you.” Taeyong then said and Ten stirred. Taeyong looked at the many lights from the streetlights below them. “That’s why I kissed you.”
Ten lifted his head and the two noticed how close their faces were. Taeyong leaned in but stopped just inches away. Ten looked down at Taeyong’s lips and then he slightly smiled before closing the distance and pressing his lips to Taeyong’s. Taeyong eagerly kissed him back and when they broke the kiss for a short moment, Taeyong breathed in deeply, then he pressed a kiss to Ten’s lips again before leaning back.

Ten looked out of breath and Taeyong chuckled, his heart was leaping. “I love you.” He said at first unsure, but when he watched Ten’s eyes shine he couldn’t be more sure.

Ten looked at Taeyong’s hand and held it in his. “I love you too.” He said and Taeyong grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer. Ten smiled and leaned forward; meeting Taeyong in a soft kiss. Taeyong pulled away and looked into his green eyes with wonder.

  “How?” He asked and felt Ten’s grip on his sweatshirt loosen when he leaned back a bit.

  “The moon promised you not to let me die.” Ten explained and Taeyong blinked and looked up at the moon.

  “You did?” He asked it. “Couldn’t you have said something?” He said in a desperate whisper and Ten chuckled and moved closer before hiding his face in the space between Taeyong’s neck and shoulder again.

  “I’m sorry for leaving you like that.” He said.

Taeyong rested his cheek on top of Ten’s head. “I’m sorry for not getting to you fast enough.”

Ten shook his head. “It’s okay.” He said and looked up at Taeyong. “I’m immortal now.” He then said with a smile.

Taeyong gasped. “You’re what?!” He exclaimed with his jaw dropped. “Does that mean…”

  “We have all the time at our hands.” Ten beamed and Taeyong didn’t know how to react. Ten giggled and pressed a warm kiss to the corner of Taeyong’s mouth. “I wanted to kiss you that night.”

Taeyong’s eyes flickered to Ten’s lips. “In the garden?”

Ten nodded his eyes focused on Taeyong’s lips before connecting their gazes. “I didn’t want to ignore you I was just… so frustrated. I really wished you could’ve been a student like me. That we had just met and that you hadn’t been involved in the accident. But maybe there would’ve still been ice on the road, and if it hadn’t been for you, maybe I wouldn’t have survived…”

Taeyong gripped Ten’s hand tighter.

  “If the moon has chosen you, what do you do now?” He asked.

  “I help the souls of passed children into the passageway between their death and new life.”

Taeyong frowned. “How?”

Ten laughed. “When a child dies, I will take him or her with me to a place that I call Neverland. In this place they are free until the chance comes where they can decide to try at life again. Then I will let them go and they will be reborn again.”

  “Like a reaper?” Taeyong asked with a slight frown.

Ten shrugged. “The reapers doesn’t keep children, I have a large group of followers that wants to stay with me.”

  “Already?” Taeyong wondered.

Ten nodded and stood. “The seasons come and go in Neverland, but time doesn’t pass there.” Ten pulled Taeyong up and wrapped his arms around Taeyong’s neck, combing his fingers through Taeyong’s hair. “You could come with me when we need winter for some time.”

  “I’m not supposed to die?” Taeyong said in confusion, trying his best not to be too distracted by the feeling of Ten’s breath against his lips.

  “I control that.” Ten said with a laugh. “I’m also known as Peter Pan.”

Taeyong gripped Ten’s hips and caught the other’s lips in a long kiss. “I’ve missed you so much.” He spoke against Ten’s lips and the other released a noise that Taeyong decided was a version of: I’ve missed you too.

 

 

 

The two boys met every time Ten found time in his busy schedule. Taeyong loved flying with the other and he found that Neverland was the most beautiful island he had even seen, and he could tease the pirates there by freezing their boat stuck. Ten was right by having a few boys that had decided to stay in Neverland. One tall with orange hair called Doyoung said he had been crying, afraid of falling asleep but then a boy with golden eyes came and held his hand and he fell asleep, but he woke up to find Ten sitting in his window.

  “You took that from me!” Taeyong gasped and Ten shushed him by elbowing him in the side.

  “I was inspired by that. It’s much more exciting than taking the front door.”

Doyoung nodded and laughed at it. “I think about him though.” He then said. “That boy with the golden eyes.”

Taeyong felt himself getting defensive. Ten turned towards him with a smile and Taeyong who had leaned forward, leaned back again. “We’ll bring him with us next time.”

Doyoung gasped. “What, really?”

Ten nodded. “He needs to see this place too, and then I promise you, you will fall asleep and have the nicest dreams.”

 

 

 

One night Johnny stood by the lake and Taeyong and Ten flew down to sit in a tree and watch the other. “You should show yourself.” Taeyong said and Ten gasped.

  “And scare him to death?” Ten shook his head.

Taeyong hit the other before flying down, walking towards Johnny, then Ten flew ahead of him and pushed Taeyong into the snow before stopping in front of Johnny, floating above the ice.

Johnny’s jaw dropped and Taeyong watched it from where he lied in the snow.

  “Do you want to go on an adventure?” Ten asked and Johnny tried to find his voice. “Yeah it’s me.” Ten said and rolled his eyes. “The Ghost Boy.” He added and Johnny nodded.

  “You’re alive?”

Ten looked over at Taeyong and both of them shrugged. “Not sure.” Ten said. “But I breathe and I live… that would mean that I’m alive, then yes.”

Johnny looked down. “I’m sorry.” He cried and Ten dropped to the ground and pulled Johnny into a hug. Taeyong stood.

  “It’s okay.” Ten said. “You fell in too, I’m just happy that you’re alive.”

Taeyong crossed his arms over his chest, but he watched them with a small smile.

Ten leaned away and chuckled when Johnny wiped his nose and eyes. Taeyong stepped closer and Johnny looked at him then turned his eyes down. Taeyong chuckled and felt Ten reach out and place his arm around his waist. “I found him.” Taeyong said and Johnny looked up. “You may be stupid but you’re lucky.”

Johnny snickered and then went back to a serious expression. “The moon chose Ten.” Taeyong explained and Ten looked at Taeyong warmly.

Johnny smiled. “So you two were close.” He said and Taeyong looked up and away from Ten who looked at him questioningly. Johnny chuckled. “Wait a minute.” Johnny then suddenly said with wide eyes. “You were the one who hit me!” He gasped and Ten and Taeyong clapped.

  “Good job!” Ten cheered.

  “Never thought you would’ve guessed it!” Taeyong laughed. Johnny pouted.

Ten still smiled when he spoke. “Still… I wanted to ask if you wanted to come with me to Neverland.”

Johnny frowned. “Neverland?”

Ten nodded. “Time stands still and you won’t have to worry about getting a job anymore.”

Johnny hummed. “Sounds promising.” He said with a smile.

Ten looked up and noticed a golden spot near them. “I will only ask once.” He said and Johnny nodded.

  “You know what?” He said. “I didn’t really like college at all.” He joked and Taeyong and Ten laughed.

In that moment Jaehyun landed beside them and Johnny followed the others’ gazes. He couldn’t see Jaehyun who was smiling at the two.

  “Ready to go see Doyoung?” Ten asked and Jaehyun nodded with a smile. Taeyong reached out and gave Jaehyun’s arm a comforting squeeze. Jaehyun smiled back to the other.

  “Wait who are we looking at?” Johnny asked the two.

  “Sandman.” Ten explained. “The one who puts children to sleep.”

Johnny gasped. “Seriously, the dream sand and all?” The two nodded and Jaehyun chuckled. Then Johnny sprang backwards as he heard another voice. He stared at Jaehyun who slowly became visible. “Whaaat?”

  “Where was he from?” Jaehyun asked and Ten covered his mouth while laughing.

  “America.” He said and Johnny walked around Jaehyun in wonder.

  “Should we get going?” Ten asked and Taeyong nodded and grabbed Ten’s hand. They had done this many times now. Jaehyun and Taeyong shared a gaze when they held hands and Jaehyun reached out to Johnny. Ten looked at them all with a smile. “Think happy thoughts!” He said and Taeyong and Jaehyun beamed while Johnny frowned.

  “Like ice cream?” He wondered before Ten set off and they flew up. Johnny screamed and Taeyong and Jaehyun cheered.

They soared through the sky and the stars became blurry lines, still the moon shone brightly before them. Taeyong looked at Ten and saw the other look back at him with a smile. Taeyong looked back and saw Jaehyun beam at him. He tightened his grasp on the other’s hand. He owed Jaehyun and Ten. Without them, he wouldn’t have seen the light again.

 

 

 

Jaehyun and Taeyong spent time together at winter, and spoke together often as they once did, having forgiven each other and embraced a new friendship. Ten and Jaehyun worked together and when Jaehyun realized that the child he had put to sleep didn’t wake up, he saw Ten sit at the window with the moonlight in his back a bright smile upon his face. Jaehyun felt at ease to know where they children would go and he met them whenever he visited Neverland.

Ten became a guardian, he didn’t always pick up children when they passed, but at times brought them along on an adventure.

So when the snow falls, if you hear a boy laugh, it could be Taeyong making sure the snow will cover everything and make the dark world a little bit brighter. If you can’t fall asleep, be reassured, Jaehyun will come and help you fall asleep, and when you’re afraid, Ten will knock on your window and take you on an adventure, or maybe just stay for a talk.

All of them need one thing to stay alive, and that is that you believe in them, like they believe in each other.



And Taeyong’s heart was at ease as he stood there on the corner of the road, surrounded by a swirl of snowflakes.

Life isn’t that dark a thing.