t h r e e

Crush (rewriting)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"After today's lessons, please go back home and read up on chapter 5, we have a quiz two days from now." The lecturer droned on and on, making Chaeryun's eyelids heavier and heavier.

Soojin was at another class and she had no one to talk to. There weren't any of the Top 5s in her class, making the lesson 100x more boring.

No, I have to stay awake. I have practice later on.

She willed herself to stay awake, doing those things she read on the internet one day when she was bored. She held her breath for 10 seconds, increasing the heart rate. But that only helped to wake her for only 10 minutes before her eyes started drooping again.

No, this can't do. I have to get out of here.

Chaeryun rose her hand, catching the teacher's attention.

"Yes, Ms Jeon?"

"I have to go to the washroom."

He nodded and returned back to his lesson. Chaeryun sighed in absolute relief and escaped the boring monotone room. She went towards the toilet, humming her favourite tune. When she saw the sign to the toilet, she made a detour and went towards the theatre.

"No harm doing this right?" She asked herself, inching towards the huge double doors of the performance hall. "He won't know if I'm back or not."

Shrugging her shoulders, she pushed the doors open, stepping in.

 

Chaeryun strolled down the aisle, her hands touching the velvety seats, as her singing got louder and louder.

 

I was out of it because of your gentleness

Because of your sweetness, because of your lies

 

She headed down towards the stage and stood facing the empty hall of seats. Taking in a deep breath, with her eyes closed, she continued the song.

 

My dream changed – instead of a famous singer

I tried to become a good wife

I was such a fool, I was such a fool

 

When she reached the chorus, she stopped. Opening her eyes, she tried imagining the performance theatre filled with people.

"You can do this, Jeon Chaeryun. You can do this." She thumped her chest twice. "It's now or never."

Her body straightened, with her hands by her sides.

 

My singing got better after breaking up with you

After living crazily with music, all of the song lyrics

 

Chaeryun's imagination started to turn for the worst. All she saw was the audience getting bored with her singing, and they were getting mad at her for ruining the show. Her voice started becoming shaking, her eyes darting around.

Her hands were balled into fists as she fought against her stage fright to sing better. She wanted control over her fear, but her overactive imagination was starting to go overboard.

 

Seemed like my story so I sang them to death

Little by little, slowly, my tears dried

 

Straight after the last word, her knees gave way, and she fell onto the stage floor. Chaeryun started taking deep breaths of air to stabilise her breathing.

Unlike the song lyrics, Chaeryun started crying in disappointment. She buried her face in her palms, trying to stop her tears. "Looks like this isn't the day."

She sat there, cross-legged, and started on another song, to calm herself.

 

This is real, this is me

I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be now

Gonna let the light shine on me

 

Chaeryun heard the opening of a door on the seating circle on the second level echoing throughout the entire room. She panicked and quickly scrambled onto her feet, running out through the backstage's door.

 

**

 

Youngjae's class was cancelled and he had a free period for an hour. He started roaming around the school, trying to look for inspiration when he walked past the side doors of the performance hall.

 

Seemed like my story so I sang them to death

 

He stopped in his steps, and his brain stopped working when he heard a soft, muffled melodious voice from inside the hall. He felt his heart thump, he wasn't sure why he was feeling that way, and he inched towards the doors.

 

Little by little, slowly, my tears dried

 

He stopped by the door, unsure if he should enter. It could be his fangirl playing Ailee's song to lure him into the theatre.

It was well known that his ideal type was someone with a beautiful voice.

Suddenly, the voice stopped singing. A thud could be heard from inside and he felt himself wrapping his hand around the door handle. He was about to push the door open when his rational side came slapping him in his face.

"It must be someone trying to get you to go in."

He shook his head and stepped away

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter