The Performance

You like me?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Six

 

This is it. Zico peaked between the curtains and saw that a lot of people had already shown up. He looked around and saw his mom was already there. Where is she, he thought. He was scanning the whole room but didn't see her anywhere. "Zico? Zico!" Joe was running around yelling his name. "Joe, what is it? Why are you in a panic mode?" Zico grabbed him by the shoulders to calm him. "T-Tae" Joe stammered. "Are you trying to say Taeil?" Zico asked nervously, getting a bad feeling in his stomach. Zico shook the boy. "Calm down! Tell me what's wrong with Taeil!" Joe took a deep breath to calm his shaking voice. "He said his stomach was hurting and he ended up running to the bathroom and threw up. He's said he's not going to perform. He-" "Where is he?" Zico interrupted him. "He's hiding out in the dressing room. He-" Zico took off before he could finish. He ran and busted through the door. "Taeil! Taeil where are you!?" Joe said he was in here . He looked behind the couch and in the closet. Zico then turned his eyes slowly towards the lockers. He's small enough to fit... He should have checked there first. He quietly walked and steadied his breathing. He put his ear to each locker. Found him! He was hiding in the second to last. Zico pulled open the locker and saw Taeil holding his knees to his chest. The poor guy was shivering fiercely. Zico knew it was going to be bad but this was beyond his imagination. "Come on Tae." Zico pulled the younger boy up from his crouching position. He pulled Taeil to the couch and they both sat down. Before he could open his mouth he could hear the MC, Joe, introducing himself and the show. The crowd was laughing. That's why he was chosen for the MC. He could get any crowd going and pumped. "Tae.. What's going on?" Zico asked him gently. "I-I-I can't do this Z. I can't. I can't go in front of all those people, my mom, and do this performance. You can go on without me or don't go at all. I don't care. I'm just going to forget all about this stupid dream of mine and just do what my mom wants. It'll be easier." Zico sighed. He can't let him give up now. Not when they came so far. They practiced all the way till the crack of dawn just for this moment. I'm not going to let him I've up on his dream. "Taeil. I'm not letting you give up something you want. I didn't drag you into this so you could walk out on me. On your dream. I can tell you love singing. Music. I can sense that you want this so much. It's not that you can't do it. It's that you WON'T do it because you don't think you can do this. You don't think you have the talent for this. I saw your face when you saw my song. I heard the way you talk about music. You're the most happiest when doing music . Your eyes get stars and shines the brightest. You love this to much for me to just let you walk away. Because of you, I got the courage to walk in that classroom. I didn't hide anymore and decided to give everything and everyone a chance. So I had to do something for you. When you told me about you wanting to study music I didn't know what I could for you. Just my luck, the next day we learned about this talented show. If your mom came and saw you she would rethink about letting you study music. If she saw how everyone was cheering and yelling your name, she should let you. You're talented. Too talented for you to hide. You're made to be on that stage. That stage is your home. I believe in you. I believe you can go up on that stage and own it. You need to show your mom you're more than what she thinks of you. Not just for her. Yourselves included. You need to stop disregarding yourself. You have to believe in yourself. That you're not afraid. That you can do this. I promised you that I would be with you every step of the way. I won't leave you. I will stay right there by your side." Zico gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "I promise you that." Taeil stared at Zico before he got up and went to the other side of the room. Zico sighed and leaned back into the chair. He just hoped that he got through to him. They were the last act for the night. Zico looked up at the tv that was showing on stage. They were recording every act on stage. Showing the people on stage and in the crowd. The group up there now was a girl group. They were singing and dancing. They are extremely good. The group included Sunny, Jessica, Sooyoung, Im Yoona and Taeyeon. Their voices are incredible. The choreo looks difficult to do. Next was a guy group. They were also singing and dancing but man! If this was a dancing competition they would be in first place with the girls in close second. They were in a lower grade but they spoke to me because of what happened with those bullies. Jonghyun, key, Minho, Taemin, Onew.  They are blowing everyone away. Especially Taemin. I heard that he was a dancing machine but this is ridiculous. This went on for a couple more hours. People who were just singing. People who were just dancing. People acting. Some of the acts were hilarious making Zico laugh out loud. Some were melodramatic and sad. This should be an acting and music school because all these people are too amazing. Well, except those who were off key and messing up the dance steps because they were too nervous. Zico was surprised when he saw Soo Yi on stage. She were replacing the girl who was suppose to sing with one of the guys from their class. She got sick right before they were suppose to go on. He was mesmerized by her angelic voice. She would sing and he would rap but it was amazing . Awesome. There was a knocked on the door. Joe pokes his head in. "You guys are on in five." Then he closed the door. Taking a deep breath, Zico stood up and slowly walked to Taeil. He grabbed his hand. " Are you ready?" He didn't get no response. "I'm right here. Remember that." Zico started to pull him through the door and was surprised at how easy it was to make him move. Walking down the corridor, Taeil was squeezing his hand tighter and tighter every step they took. By the time they reached the opening of the stage Taeil was giving Zico hand the death grip. Zico gave his hand a squeeze but a little harder. He leaned over and whispered in his ear "You can do it this Taeil. I have faith in you." before letting go to go sit at the piano. He could see Taeil shadowy figure walk towards the mic. It was dark so the crowd couldn't see us. So the lights on the stage were also off. You'd think it would be hard to see In the dark but they practiced on this stage so many times that they didn't need to lights on. Zico could feel the piano keys so he didn't need the lights. He could play this with his eyes closed. Taking a deep breath, he started to play. It felt so natural that his fingers moved on their own. Then the light pop on him. He could feel all eyes on him but he blocked them out. He focused on the keys. Then he could hear Taeil begin to hum and then another light showered him. He started to sing the first verse. 

Please log in to read the full chapter