drabble 4

The Park Family

Wish

[The Park Family]

Kyungsoo snaps awake in the middle of the night. His chest heaves up and down in brevity as he takes in laboured breaths. Shutting his eyes again, he tries to calm his pounding heart.

He has had a nightmare. Well, not exactly.

His dream started off rather peaceful, just him and an endless sea of wheat grass that swayed leisurely to the wind's gentle calling. Blue sky, white clouds, and emrald landscape that seems to stretch on forever; he has arrived in heaven on earth. Slowly, Kyungsoo grazed a hand across the grass tips and smiled as light, fluttering tingles traveled through his palm into every corner of his body. Taking a deep breath and closing his eyes, he faced the sky and enjoyed this rare moment serenity. He loves his family dearly but he does wish they could be less rowdy more often.

When he reopened his eyes, he was no longer alone but flanked between Chanyeol and a stranger. Surprised and perplexed, Kyungsoo stumbled backwards and Chanyeol steadied him by wrapping an arm around his comparatively narrower shoulders. The gentle giant flashed a mischievous smile at him, which dawned a bad premonition upon Kyungsoo. However before he could question his husband of his deeds, the stranger also wrapped an arm around his shoulders and Kyungsoo looked up in weary. After a closer inspection of the man's face, Kyungsoo realized this was no stranger at all. Crescent shaped smiling eyes, long slender nose, and thin lips that curled up cutely at the corners like a child; it was Sehun!

Stunned but also in awe with his son's handsome good looks, Kyungsoo blinked in a daze at the twin towers trapping him to the spot. An uneasy feeling grew in the pit of his stomach and Kyungsoo felt small, too small. It wasn't that he lacked in stature per se, ('I'm of average height!' Kyungsoo always finds himself justifying to everyone around him), but he is somehow and always surrounded by people with exceptional heights. Is that his fault? The answer is always debatable.

"This is the well combo," Chanyeol said suddenly, sounding way too excited for Kyungsoo's liking, and magically, he and Sehun just steadily stretched towards the sky bit by bit. As the two giants (literally) laughed obnoxiously in his ears, Kyungsoo growled in frustration. No matter how much he struggled to escape from his position between the two towering men, he could not free himself from this cursed fate of being short. Then as Sehun said in his usual baby voice, "Appa is so tiny!" despite looking like a fully grown man, Kyungsoo jolted awake.

Heaving another quiet sigh, Kyungsoo turns to face his husband who is snoring lightly. When he spots a tiny trail of drool leaking out of Chanyeol slightly agape mouth, he cannot help but giggle in fondness. Still the same adorable and charming man he has fallen in love with many moons ago. Carefully, he entangles himself away from the warmth of their bed and long limps wrapped possessive around his body, and tip toes out of the bedroom towards Sehun's room.

The sleeping boy is sprawled out in almost the exact position as his beloved Yoda. Kyungsoo smiles automatically and muses at how two people who are not related at all can be so similar in the strangest ways. Gently, he cradles small hands inside of his own and presses a soft kiss into Sehun's hairline. Kneeling by the edge of the bed and basked in the moonlight pouring in through the windows, Kyungsoo was a perfect picture of the faithful. Sincerely and earnestly, he makes a heartfelt wish for his son.

"Please don't let him grow too tall," he whispers and his brows knit together from praying too hard, "please God, just a bit taller than me is good. But don't let him grow too tall like Chanyeol."

Kyungsoo knows full well how silly he probably looks and sounds for making such a wish, but he'd rather not gamble with fate or Sehun's hormone and unknown genes. His pride will only be able to take so much bruising and having Chanyeol around is damage enough. He really hopes that the ‘twin towers’ will not be a permanent feature in his household in the future.

Little did Kyungsoo know, he definitely jinxed it that spring night. Soon enough, Sehun would grow to be another handsome but silly giant of a man. Then as Kyungsoo witness his dream (or nightmare as he'd prefer to call it) becomes a reality, he could only grumble begrudgingly to himself and wonder why life must always challenge him so.

But that isn't for another while to come and on that particular quiet night, Kyungsoo is still hopeful and optimistic. Giving his sleeping son one last loving kiss on his chubby cheek, the shorter man sneaks back into bed and snuggles himself against the man that never fails to make him feel loved and safe. Chanyeol has his faults, including his height, but Kyungsoo knows that there isn't anyone else he'd rather be with. Sure he has to suffer the occasional taunting about his size from various families and friends whenever he stands next to Chanyeol, but Kyungsoo thinks it's all worth it. Love comes with sacrifices, and he supposes that is just his.

Such is another day at the Park Family.

 


A/N: LOL.