drabble 3

The Park Family

Marriage 

[The Park Family] 

Kim Junmyeon has recently become a rather sensitive topic in the Park family, mostly (entirely) because of a silly grudge Chanyeol is holding against this innocent man. It started a week ago when Sehun declared to his parents: “When I grow up, I’m going to marry Junmyeon ajusshi.” 

Chanyeol was shocked, then hurt, and finally angry and jealous, all within three seconds.  Kyungsoo smiled at his clueless son as he listened to the boy continued to praise his ‘future wife’, while discreetly sneaking a concerned look at his silently fuming husband as well. He almost burst out laughing at the crooked and obviously sour face the taller man has put up in an effort to hide his discontentment, but Kyungsoo restrained himself, albeit with great difficulty. Chanyeol has always been protective of their son and Kyungsoo wasn’t about to put himself between the stubborn man and poor Junmyeon. Even though he does feel extremely sorry for the other man, knowing how petty his husband can sometimes get, especially with regards to anything that concerns Sehun. He only hoped that by the next time the two family meets, Chanyeol will have eased up on his grudging.

It turns out, Kyungsoo’s hope was all put to waste.

Junmyeon fidgets uncomfortably in his chair as he absentmindedly nods to something Jongdae has just said across from him. He is trying really hard just to focus on the pasta on his plate rather than the death glares flying at him like ninja stars from the far side of the table. It is the usual Sunday lunch, when their friend group comes together to catch up, but since Junmyeon walked in, he could not ignore Chanyeol’s heated gaze. He has been racking his brain throughout the meal for anything possibly offending he could have done or said to the taller man, and so far nothing is coming to mind. At this point, Junmyeon just wants to either enjoy his pasta in peace or die a quick death at Chanyeol’s hands. Anything is better than this silent torture.

Unable to handle the dagger looks any loner, he finally leans to his left and whispers to Kyungsoo through his teeth.

“What the hell is wrong with your husband,” he says with a smile still plastered on his face, trying to look as relaxed as possible, “He looks like he’d rather eat me for lunch.”

Kyungsoo tears his gaze away from the Jongin and Sehun on his other side, who are laughing at a silly story Baekhyun is telling, and turns to set his eyes on a pouting and glaring Chanyeol on the opposite end of the long table. Rolling his eyes, but unable to keep an amused smile off of his face, Kyungsoo also replies in whispers: “He’s holding a grudge against you.”

“For what?” Junmyeon frowns and his eyes widen in both confusion and annoyance, “I didn’t do anything to him!”

“Technically, you did,” Kyungsoo smirks slightly and raises an eye brow, “you see, Sehun says he wants to marry you when he grows up.”

Junmyeon’s heart melts a little when he hears Sehun’s indirect confession and he lets out an inaudible, touched ‘aw’. However, his sentimentality is immediately cut short by an instinctive shiver running down his spine, just like the one a prey gets when their predator is near. Turning stiffly to face Chanyeol’s direction, Junmyeon cracks a nervous smile and delivers an awkward wave. Beside him, Kyungsoo hides his chuckle behind a sip of his drink as he shares an entertained look with a knowing and also snickering Jongdae. Then, two childish voices break the subtle atmosphere in between the adults

“Don’t marry my dad when you grow up, marry me instead!” Jongin says loudly as he grabs onto Sehun’s little hand. Surprised at the seemingly random outburst, all the adults watch quietly at how the pale boy would reply his best friend. Twitching his nose up and down, Sehun pats Jongin’s on his head then replies calmly.

“No, I’m going to marry Junmyeon ajusshi. I’ve already decided.”

Gradually, Jongin’s eyes water and puffing his cheeks up, he tosses Sehun’s hand away and folds his arms together in front of his chest. Then on the top of his lung, he screams angrily: “Fine, I’ll marry Kyungsoo ajusshi then!”

“Ya he’s already married to me! You can’t have him!” Chanyeol interrupts, unable to contain anymore all that pointless anger that has been brewing inside of him. Like everyone else, Jongin is stunned momentarily by the taller man’s outburst before he bursts into tears while wailing about nobody wanting to marry him. Suddenly, the once peaceful (at least seemingly so) lunch erupts into a scene of chaos.

Rushing to his son, Junmyeon picks Jongin up into a hug and tries to comfort the boy by telling him how much he is loved by everyone. Next to them, Sehun watches his bawling friend at a loss and guilt overtakes his small body with each passing second. He didn’t mean to hurt Jongin, no not at all. He loves him too much to do that. Kyungsoo marches over to his husband and thwacks him hard on the back of his head, completely ignoring Chanyeol’s long face and mumbling justifications. Only Jongdae and Baekhyun are left laughing in this mess, one of them pounding on the table, howling in cackles, while the other leans against the back of his chair and shakes uncontrollably in a terrify giggle fit.  

When everything and everyone finally settle down again, Sehun wraps his short arms around a still sniffling Jongin and he cutely presses their foreheads together.

“I changed my mind,” Sehun says surely as he smiles shyly, “I want to marry you instead.”

“Really?” Jongin hiccups and brightens up almost instantly.

“Uh huh!”

“Yay!”

As the adults watch the two children make up in the most adorable fashion possible, all of them clutch onto their hearts and silently dies a little from cuteness overload. Kyungsoo squints down at Chanyeol and sends a wordless warning. There has been enough drama for the day, no thanks to his husband, and he has no intention of dealing with any more. The taller man flashes his love an apologetic and reassuring grin in return before running his large hand up and down Kyungsoo’s lower back in a pacifying manner.

Chanyeol may still be a little spiteful that Sehun now wants to marry Jongin instead of him, but he thinks he will live. After all, he already has the best life partner. He has Kyungsoo to grow old with, and that is more than he could ever ask for.  

Later that day, as Kyungsoo tucks Sehun into bed, he asks his son why he has never considered marrying Chanyeol or himself. Blinking sleepily, the young boy answers in a matter of fact: “Because you and Yoda already have each other, right? So of course I have to find someone else… Silly, appa.”

Kyungsoo smiles and ruffles Sehun’s hair lovingly.

“Yes, of course,” he whispers and kisses his son on his soft cheek, “we have each other and you.”

“Hehe…” Sehun giggles and yawns. Then as he shuts his eyes in contentment, already halfway to dreamland, he mumbles happily in a small voice, “I love you, appa…”

“I love you too, Sehunnie. Good night.”

“…Good night…”

Such is another day in the Park family. 

 


A/N: Chanyeol is such a dork. Someone please take him away.