Baked

Shinee Fic Challenge (April 2016)

For @katrinawritesthings‘ polyquest! 

Title: Baked

Pairing: OT5

Chapter Rating: PG-13 for language, I think

Word Count: 660

Summary: Minho has finally found a hobby that none of his boyfriends mind.

“Don’t ing look at my screen, Kibum! Don’t ing look at it!” Jonghyun shouts as he leans closer to the flat screen. His mouth is hanging open but, then again, so is Kibum’s.

Jinki is perched in his leather recliner, sitting sideways, his legs curled up underneath himself as he watches from the corner of the room. He preferred RPGs and, besides, they only had two controllers since Taem dropped his in his glass of lemonade that one time. Not that Jinki minded, he rather enjoys watching his boyfriends relax, even if they do use language Jinki isn’t too fond of.

The television flashes as their match comes to a close, the screen displaying the results of their final round. Kibum throws his hands in the air, relishing in his victory as Jonghyun pouts beside him.

“One more round!”

“What? No. That’s what you said last time.”  Kibum tosses his paddle on the empty space between them, “Besides,” he begins, his lips upturning into that smug as smirk Jinki secretly loves, “I won fair and square.”

Jonghyun grabs his head as if he can physically keep his temper from exploding. It does not work. “Are you ING KIDDING ME?! You were, literally, watching my screen the entire time!!”

“Was not!”

“WAS TOO!””

Jinki lifts another cookie from the makeshift table he calls his lap and has to suppress a giggle. He knows full well that their petty bickering will lead to a very long, rather hot, make out session. And so, he does nothing.

A timer goes off in the kitchen and Pavlovian response has Jinki drooling. Minho emerges, pink apron fastened around his slender, toned, waist.

“Who’s ready for dessert?” Minho asks, drawing out the last vowel in his sentence the way he often did when he was excited. He nudges Taemin gently with the points of his toes and, when that fails to work, does so with more force.

Taemin groans as he struggles to lift himself upright, his head bobbing sporadically as he tries to fight against the sweet temptation of sleep. He yawns, blinks his eyes rapidly, and reaches for a spoon.

Minho places his pie in the center of the coffee table and the other three, save Taem, stare in shocked silence.

Minho had been a perfectionist long before any of them had even fathomed the idea of a polyamorous relationship. So, when he unexpectedly tore his ACL in a brutal match against the Jeonnam Dragons and decided to take up baking, it came as no surprise that he would set out to conquer it with the same drive, passion, and methodical precision as he did on the field. And Minho had, on numerous occasions, surpassed even the highest of expectations of their quintet. He had crafted delicious macarons, divine Napoleons, exquisite Baklavas. And so it was, perhaps, this precedent that lead to Jinki, Kibum, and Jonghyun to sit at the small, glass coffee table with their mouths agape.

Taemin, still half asleep and fully hungry, dives into the raspberry pie, his spoon scooping a large chunk out of the middle and into his mouth. He chews for a couple of seconds, not really processing what it is that he is doing.

There is a brief moment where Jinki considers that Taem might not notice the glaring errors Minho has made, but he sees the way his youngest boyfriend’s eyes shoot open and all the hope that Jinki once had is lost.

Taem pokes the crust with the tip of his spoon, raspberry filling still staining the corners of his mouth. “The lattice is a bit thick.”

The pie is off the table before Jinki has a chance to taste it. His face falls in dismay. The other four share a moment of silence, collectively mourning all the chocolate soufflés, baumkuchen, and baked Alaskas they have yet to try.

Taemin is still chewing, his eyes closed, blissfully unaware to the havoc he has wrecked.