Little Boy Blue and the Man on the Moon

Shinee Fic Challenge (April 2016)

Title: Little Boy Blue and the Man on the Moon

Pairing: Onew/Jonghyun

Chapter Rating: PG

Word Count: 1033

Summary: Jinki learns that the relationship with his son isn’t what it used to be.

Jinki’s fingers begin to cramp as he nears the end of his quarterly sales report. He cracks his knuckles and rubs his eyes, trying to muster enough strength to reevaluate the domestic sales graph on page 9. He sighs and allows himself a small break, the luxury of which he knows he cannot afford, but as he relines into the soft leather of the back of his chair, is soon forgotten. Jinki can feel his exhaustion seeping from him, sleep closer to him than it has been for weeks, when he jolts awake. He glances at the large grandfather clock that adorns the corner of his office, grabbing his jacket as he races to the nearest convenience store.

When Jinki arrives home, a half an hour ‘til 4:00 am, the last thing he expects to hear is the pattering of tiny feet on hardwood floors. He barely has enough time to set down his briefcase before his son is launching himself into his arms. “What are you still doing up, little man?”

“He insisted on waiting up for you,” Kibum says as he leans against the living room doorway, hands crossing in front of his chest.

Jonghyun claps his hands and shrieks in agreement as he slathers open-mouthed kisses to his father’s cheek. “It’s my birthday today, Daddy!”

“I know! How was your party? Did you get a lot of presents?”

Jonghyun wiggles in Jinki’s grip, sliding down his frame eagerly. He grabs his forefinger and tugs him to his bedroom, excited to show off his new gifts.

Jinki gives Kibum an apologetic shrug as they pass. He’ll make it up to them, someday. He knows he will. But that does not stop the churning of guilt in his stomach or the tears from welling in the corners of his eyes as his 5 year old son sits him on his bedroom floor animatedly chattering about a birthday Jinki has, once again, missed.


Jinki is rushing to the train station, his satchel thumping against the side of his hip with every stride. He reaches the platform, out of breath and having missed the 9:55 train. He runs his fingers through his graying hair, cursing his boss for extending his hours without notice. Jinki reaches into his pocket, fingertips brushing past his wedding band, and pulls out his phone. Jonghyun picks up on the second ring.

“Where are you? The concert’s about to start!”

“I don’t think I’m going to make it, kiddo…” he begins, and he swears he can hear his son’s heart break. “You could always call Papa Kibum. He lives a lot closer and I’m sure he would love to-“

“It’s okay, Dad. I know.” Jonghyun chuckles in that airy dismissive manner he has managed to perfect when he is disappointed.

“I’m so sorry, Jjong. Next time-.”

“Next time.” His son reiterates before he hangs up, leaving Jinki alone on the platform and the same old sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.


Jinki attempts to set the timer on Kibum’s oven but can’t quite figure out what, exactly, he’s doing. He adjust the glasses on his face, leaning back slightly as he tries to make out the small lettering next to the buttons.

“You never were good with technology.” Kibum scoffs as he gently maneuvers around his ex-husband.

“I suppose some things don’t get better with age.” He dismays as he takes a seat at the island counter.

“I can tell,” Kibum chuckles as he gestures to the spectacles on Jinki’s face.

They continue to make small chit chat, something they haven’t done in years. It is strange, Jinki’s wonders as Kibum peels potatoes in the kitchen sink, to think this could have been his life.

But Minho is there, standing next to Kibum, their shoulders knocking into each other playfully, as he does dishes. And suddenly, Jinki remembers that he gave up his place next to Kibum a long time ago.

“How’s retirement treating you, Jinki?” Minho inquires as he dries his hands on a towel and stuffs a baby carrot into his mouth, casually leaning across the marble counter top.

“I feel as if I have all the time in the world.” Jinki remarks and he isn’t sure why it makes him so sad. “When does Jjong’s plane land? Maybe I should head over to the airport and-.”

The phone rings, almost on cue, and he can tell by Kibum’s face that it isn’t good news. He hands Jinki the handheld and goes back to the sink, his ministrations considerably less rushed.

“Jjong?” Jinki asks as he fidgets with a loose thread on his slacks.

“Hey, Dad!”

Jinki presses the phone closer to his ear, straining to hear his son over the static and background noises Jinki knows all too well. “You’re still coming for dinner, right?” he asks, despite himself. “Papa Kibum and Minho have been slaving away all afternoon-.”

“I wish I could, Pops. But my boss has just doubled my workload and it looks like I’m going to have to work through the weekend.”

“What about Taeyeon and the kids?”

He can hear Jonghyun clambering on the other end, the clattering of a keyboard, his office phone more than likely sandwiched between his shoulder and left ear. “The kids are sick with the flu and Tae’s running herself ragged between doctor’s appointments.”

“Ah, really. I’m sorry to hear that.” Jinki’s pacing now, unsure what to do with himself. “Well, if she ever needs any help, I’m more than willing to lend a helping hand.” He hears Jonghyun’s coworker calling for him to wrap it up, that they have a meeting in ten minutes.

“Listen, Dad, I’ve got to go.” The clack clack clacking of the keyboard hastens. “But it’s been so nice talking to you. Give Minho and Papa Key my love.”

“I will, son. I love you.” But Jinki is just speaking to a dial tone and he can’t keep the tears from trickling down his still plump cheeks as he realizes his son has grown up to be just like him.