My Eye's on You

Shinee Fic Challenge (April 2016)

Title: My Eye’s on You

Pairing: Minho/Kibum

Chapter Rating: PG-13

Word Count: 971

Summary: Minho and Taemin have been watching Kibum.

“I hate surveillance duty,” Minho grumbles as he tries to readjust himself, stretching his long legs out as far as he can without them tangling with the wires of his equipment.

Taemin dips a cold fry into his mountain of ketchup and sighs. “It’s not that bad, dude. I mean this guy,” He stuffs it into his mouth and grabs another to gesture at the house across the street, “is probably one of the tamest assignments we’ve had in MONTHS.” His partner leans back in his chair and shoots him a eating smirk. “You should enjoy this while it lasts.”

“I know.” Minho groans hands automatically reaching to Taemin’s plate. “Do you really think he’s the leader of WeFreaky? Like, he doesn’t seem to fit the profile of a pro-socialist hacker.”

“Boss man said,” Taemin opens the large, manila folder to check the suspect’s name, having momentarily forgotten, and tosses it to Minho, “that Kibum here had all the connections and some rather ‘suspicious internet activity’.” Taemin attempts to spin in his chair but bumps into his work counter. “Whatever the  that’s supposed to mean.”

Minho is flipping through the pages of the file when his computer comes alive. “We’ve got something.”

Taemin rolls over and peers at the screen. “Who the spends $900 on boots?”

 


 

Minho is standing in line at one of his favorite bakeries, pretending to wait patiently for his order to be called, when he feels a slight tap on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry,” Kibum says, “but would you mind?”

Minho stares.

“You’re blocking the display case.”

“Oh.” Minho moves slightly to his left, unable to take his eyes off of the younger man. For some reason, he is shorter than he had expected. “I like your boots.” Minho isn’t sure why he said this but he likes the way Kibum looks at him, his beautiful brown eyes aglow with appreciation.

“Thanks. They’re-.”

“Saint Laurent.”

Kibum smiles widely, erupting in a boisterous laugh, “Yeah. How’d you know?”

He can feel Kibum’s eyes raking over his frame and at Minho’s unfitted, discount suit. He shuffles his feet and Minho is unsure why he feels so self-conscious. “I, ugh, have a pair, too.” Minho tries to hide the blush that is creeping onto his cheeks but, by the way Kibum’s smile grows, is apparently unsuccessful.

“You’re cute.” Kibum says and Minho’s cheeks are on fire.

“Pick up for number 23!” The attendant calls.

Kibum retrieves his order and Minho is too busy thanking all the gods he can think of to notice him return.

“We should go out sometime…?” Kibum’s voice lifts into a question, a nervous habit Minho can’t help but remember from the countless number of phone conversations he has, unbeknownst to Kibum, heard.

“Yes.” Minho answers immediately because when a man like Kibum asks you out, there really is no other option. “You should probably get going, I’m sure your dogs are driving your brother crazy-.” Minho realizes his mistake.

Kibum’s eyes grow wide but, otherwise, remains in horrified silence.

He can fix this. “I mean…” Minho doesn’t know how to fix this. “I used to watch you…?” And now, all Minho needs is for someone to fill in the grave he has just managed to dig himself into in, approximately, 0.3 seconds.

“Oh. My. God.”

“Listen, it’s not what you think.”

Kibum crosses his arms in front of his chest. “Please, do explain.”

Minho is floundering.

“Jesus ing Christ, Minho. How long does it take to pick up a ing cake? I swear on all that is holy-.” Taemin mumbles as he enters Stud Muffins. “Hey!” He shouts as he throws an arm over his partner and takes a bite from his apple. “It’s Kibum.”

Kibum raises an eyebrow and Minho knows, just knows with an indescribable sense of certainty, that he is moments away from being punched in the face. “And you are?”

“I’m Taemin.” Taemin answers, his mouth still full. “And this is Minho.” He taps Minho’s chest. He takes another bite and uses his half-eaten apple to gesture at Kibum. “And you’re Kibum.” He smiles a eating smirk.  “We used to watch you.”

Minho wishes he was dead. That the Good Lord up above would just do him a solid and strike him down right where he stands.

“I mean, ‘we’ as in the FBI.” Taemin clarifies as he takes out his badge. “Don’t I look so cute?”

“You look awfully young here.”

Taemin shrugs as he tucks his badge back into his pocket, “Yeah. I’m a genius.”

Minho can almost see the exact moment Kibum has processed this newly attained information.

“I was being investigated by the FBI?” Kibum whispers. “Why?”

“Unfortunately, that’s classified.” Minho states.

“Yeah.” Taemin agrees. “We totally didn’t think you were the head of a pro-socialist hacking organization.” Taemin winks and Minho rubs his face in embarrassment.

“Pick up for number 21!” the attendant calls.

And Taemin grabs the cake and drags Minho out the door before he can protest.

 


 

“I am so glad we’re doing this.” Taemin rejoices hands racing along the keyboard as he sets up their gear.

“That’s, like, the third time you’ve said that.”

“I know. But I don’t think you can comprehend just how much I mean it.” Taemin spins his chair to look at Kibum. “I’ve always wanted to spy on Minho.”

Kibum wrinkles his nose. “You don’t think I’m being petty?”

“What?” Taemin shouts. “Using highly secretive, government issued property to survey a prospective suitor merely to even the playing ground so that neither of you has the upper hand in the relationship, should you choose to actually pursue it? Petty??” Taemin dips a purposely cold fry into his mountain of ketchup and shoots Kibum a eating smirk. “Babe. It’s what I live for.”