The Interview

Shinee Fic Challenge (April 2016)

For @katrinawritesthings‘ polyquest!

Title: The Interview

Pairing: Taemin/Jonghyun/Minho

Chapter Rating: PG

Word Count: 540

Summary: Jonghyun and Taemin decide whether or not Minho is Boyfriend Material™.

“If one of us were drowning,” Jonghyun begins as he fiddles with the straw of his iced Americano, “who would you save and why?”

Taemin is fidgeting nervously because he told Jonghyun that asking that question was unfair because it was a trick question, to which Jonghyun had replied, “A trick question implies that there is no, one, correct answer. This one has a correct answer, so it’s fair.” Taemin wishes he had thrown scissors instead of rock and he really hopes that Minho knows the Correct Answer because he really likes Minho.

Taemin’s fidgeting intensifies.

“I’m sorry?” Minho chokes out, sending small droplets of his chai, soy, ½ the foam, cooled-at-room-temperature, latte on the table.

Jonghyun continues to stare and Taemin is blinking at Minho in Morse code.  

.. - / .. … / .- / - .-. .- .–.

IT IS A TRAP

Minho does not know Morse code.

He looks at the table for a couple of seconds, brows furrowed and it’s one of Taemin’s favorites because it means he is concentrating and Taemin is glad that Minho is taking this whole “boyfriend interview” thing seriously.

“So, both of you don’t know how to swim?”

“No.” Jonghyun answers because Taemin is still blinking in Morse code. “Hence the drowning part.”

“That’s a really gross hypothetical.” Minho pulls out his black leather notebook and scribbles something too fast for either Jonghyun or Taemin to catch before closing it again.

Jonghyun is still staring but Taemin isn’t blinking Morse code anymore because now his eyes hurt.  

Minho takes another sip from his drink and all this silence is making Taemin very uncomfortable.

“Are you going to answer?” Jonghyun asks because he probably noticed the way Taemin is squirming and also because Jonghyun is impatient.

“I already did.”

Jonghyun flips through the notes he has been taking. “And your answer is…not to answer?”

Jonghyun smiles a wide smile and Taemin knows that that means Minho has Passed The Test so he smiles too. And soon they are all smiling and drinking from their straws and Taemin doesn’t even mind that his eyes still hurt.

 


 

Jonghyun and Taemin are standing on the edge of the pool, floaties affixed to each of their arms.

“This was your ‘great idea’ for our first date?” Jonghyun says and Taemin can tell he is angry but he doesn’t think Minho can because their newest boyfriend is still smiling.

“I don’t think this was a ‘great idea’.” Taemin interjects because he really doesn’t. But he likes the way Minho looks with water all over him and seeing him zoom through the water as if he was flying.

Taemin dips a hesitant leg into the pool and Jonghyun gives him that look that says, “I’m surprised but also very proud.” Like when Taemin eats a green food, or when he shares the television when Jonghyun wants to watch “Gone with the Wind”.

Minho wraps his strong arms around Taemin’s waist and lowers him into the pool but he can’t feel the floor. He locks his arms behind his boyfriend’s neck. “If you are teaching me how to swim, than I’m going to teach you Morse code.”

Minho chuckles and Taemin can feel it in his chest. “Deal.”