Smile

Remember Your Smile

The doctor looked at Tobi and Akira and said, “I’m sorry but the blindness has finally come. I would suggest that you buy a cane and try to help Tobi in every way possible.”

Tobi shook her head and said, “No. I don’t need people to feel sorry for me. I don’t need people to do things for me.”

The doctor sighed and said, “Tobi, without your sight, you are limited on what you can and can’t do. You need the people around you to help.”

Tobi sighed and said, “What people? I have no one.”

The doctor said, “You have your grandmother.”

Akira says, “What about GOT7? I know they will want to help.”

Tobi shook her head and said, “No, they won’t. The minute they see that I’m completely blind, they will turn their backs on me just like everyone else.”

Akira sighed and said, “Tobi.”

Tobi shook her head and stood up from the chair and fell to her knees because of losing her sight, her balance faltered. The doctor grabbed Tobi’s arm, but she pushed the doctor away and said, “I can do it by myself.”

Tobi stood up and felt around for the door. When she finally found the handle she turned it and walked slowly out of the office. The doctor looked at Akira.

“I’m sorry, but you need to help her.”

Akira nods and says, “I know. Tobi is a very stubborn girl. She doesn’t want any help.”

The doctor sighed and said, “Well, you’re going to have to convince her that she does need help.”

Akira nods and walks out into the lobby where Tobi was sitting and waiting. Akira said her ‘goodbye’ to the doctor and helped Tobi out to the car. Akira drove back to the shop and they walked upstairs. Akira helped Tobi get into bed.

After they found out that Tobi was blind, Akira went to the Coffee shop and told the manager the tragic news. The manager gave her his sympathy and mentioned that he will come by to give Tobi the rest of her pay, as seeing Akira didn’t want Tobi working. Akira was walking back when she saw GOT7 standing at the window of her shop. Her heart broke but she knew that she needed to tell them.

Akira walked over and said, “Hello boys. Can I do something for you?”

Mark said, “How is Tobi? We haven’t heard any news about her.”

Akira walked to the door and stood there with her keys and said, “I’m sorry, but Tobi does not want to anyone. I hate to say this, but you’ll have to cut all contact with Tobi now. I’m sorry.” Akira walked into the shop before they could ask and she locked the door, making sure the close sign was showing.

Mark looked at the other members and said, “What do you think happened?”

JB says, “You saw her at the Coffee shop. I’m betting that Tobi is scared with how her sight has been taken away from her and people are going to judge her now.”

Mark said, “But, you know I would never do that.”

JB said, “I know that. But, you here what her grandmother said. Her own boyfriend dumped her because he knew she was going blind. Now because it happened, she has no one except for her grandmother.”

Mark looked up at where Tobi’s room is and sighed saying, “I feel for her. I don’t think I would ever know what it’s like to lose my sight. But, the worst thing of all is not to have any support from anyone to help her out.”

The next two months after GOT7 was told the news, they stopped coming by the Coffee shop and the dance studio. They went on their lives as if nothing ever happened. But, Mark was starting to feel restless and wanting to do something for Tobi. On one of their days off, Mark went to the library and looked up books on braille. He found a beginner’s guide to braille and he opened the book. He was shocked that there were bumps for every letter. He closed his eyes and ran his fingers over the bumps. He looked back at the book and realized how hard it was to actually learn. But, he was determined to change Tobi’s mood.

The next day he walked over to the dance studio, which still had the close sign on it and knocked on the door. He waited and then knocked on it again. Finally Akira walked over and opened the door.

“Mark, I thought I told you that Tobi doesn’t want to speak to anyone.”

Mark nodded and said, “I know. But…can I at least talk to her?”

Akira sighed and she looked at the book and saw the title. She was very impressed that Mark was willing to help Tobi anyway possible. Akira let him in and she walked with him upstairs. Akira walked over to the Tobi’s door and knocked. She waited but didn’t get any response. She knocked again, finally she heard Tobi inside.

“Yes?”

“Tobi, it’s grandma. I have Mark here to see you.”

Tobi’s eyes watered and she said, “Grandma please tell him to go away. I don’t want to talk to anyone.”

Akira looked at Mark and then said, “Tobi, please. Mark wants to talk to you. Won’t you listen to what he has to say?”

Tobi sighed and said, “Fine. Let him in.”

Akira opened the door and let Mark in. He saw Tobi sitting with her back against a wall sitting on her bed. She was wearing black sunglasses.

Mark smiled and said, “You look cool with those sunglasses on.”

Tobi sighed and said, “Don’t patronize me.”

Mark shook his head and said, “I’m not. I really think you look cool.”

Tobi shrugged her shoulders and said, “Whatever. I know you didn’t come here to talk about my condition, so what’s the reason you’re here?”

Mark sat on the bed and said, “I know that you are insecure about your condition. You hide yourself away from your friends because you’re afraid of what they might think of you, right?”

Tobi looked away which made Mark realize that he was correct. Then he said, “I’m here to help you in how to go through life with blindness without feeling insecure.”

Tobi looked at him and said, “What are you talking about? I can’t see anything.”

Mark nodded and said, “I know. Here. I brought a book to show you something.”

Mark opened the book and set it on Tobi’s lap. She jumped from the unexpected feeling and she put her hands down on top of the book. She started to feel bumps on the page.

“Why are there bumps on the paper? Is there something wrong with it?”

Mark smiled and said, “No. It’s a Braille book. It helps people who are blind to read and understand the world around them.”

Tobi looked at him and said, “You, you’re doing this, for me? Why?”

Mark sighed and said, “Because you were always so happy, and now that you can’t see, your smile faded away. I would like to see that smile again.”

Tobi sighed and closed the book and said, “Well, forget it. That smile is dead now.”

Mark sighed and sat closer to Tobi. She felt the bed dip down as he sat down. He gently took one of her hands and put it on his cheek. Tobi pulled her hand away quickly, but then she went and touched his cheek again. She picked up her other hand and did the same thing. She was feeling all around his eyes, eyebrows, nose, cheeks, lips, and teeth. He smiled at her and suddenly a smile formed on her face.

Mark said, “See, I knew you could still smile.”

Tobi said, “What did you do?”

Mark said, “I read in a book, that the only way someone can really “see” a person is through their hands.”

Tobi sighed and put her hands on his face again, and when he smiled she smiled as well. She knew every inch of his face from memory. Tobi spoke.

“I remember your smile. Out of the seven of you, you are the one that had the smile that I loved. But, I can smile because I saw you smile, but I don’t want you to take care of me. You and the others are busy with your schedules.”

Mark gently touched her hands and put them in his hands and said, “We talked to JYP, and he said that when we don’t have anything to do, we can come over and enjoy the time spent with you.”

Tobi said, “Really? Why?”

Mark said, “Because, JYP likes you. He told us that out of all the girls that have been seen with GOT7, you’re the one that he likes the best. You don’t let our celebrity status overcome you. To you, it doesn’t matter that we are celebrities. You like us for who we are.”

Tobi smiled and said, “Thank him for me, please.”

Mark nodded and said, “I will.”

Mark leaned in and put his lips to her forehead and gave her a gentle kiss.

Tobi closed her eyes and when she opened them, she still saw darkness, but she could almost “see” that he was sitting there.

Mark said, “Would you like to “see” the other members?”

Tobi scrunched up her face and said, “I think you forgot that I can’t see.”

Mark rolled his eyes and said, “Even though I tell you to “see” something, it’s not that I want you to look through your eyes.” Mark takes her hands in his and says, “Use your hands as your eyes. Remember what we all look like through your hands.”

Tobi nodded and Mark helped her to walk downstairs, and there sitting on the floor talking to the grandmother was the other six members of GOT7. Mark led her over to them and they all stood up. Mark had called the members before he got to Tobi’s house and wanted them to come over.

Mark said, “Guys stay there. I want Tobi to “see” you.”

Mark led her to each member and she touched their faces with her fingers. After she finished all of them, Tobi said, “I remember all of your faces. It’s almost so clear even though I can’t see.”

Mark smiled and said, “Tobi, I’m willing to come over when I’m not busy and spend the day to help you learn Braille and to come back out into society. It would be nice for us to walk with you.”

Tobi smiled and said, “Really? But, wouldn’t that interfere with your singing? I’d hate for you to make your fans upset if you’re not there.”

Mark could see on Tobi’s face that she is sincere in her words. Mark and the other members looked at each other and then Mark said, “I understand how you feel Tobi. We, as a group, have obligations to our music and to the fans. So, I know we won’t let them down, but when it comes to helping a friend, we tend to want to stand together to help that person.”

Tobi said, “Really?”

Mark touched Tobi’s hand and her hand and said, “Of course. We care about you, since the first time we saw you. When we found out about your condition, we knew that we wanted to help you even more. Even when I came over to see you, you were unhappy. I didn’t want to see you unhappy.”

Tobi smiled again which caused all seven members to smile and Mark said, “There’s that smile. That’s the smile we were all wanting to see.”

For the next four months, GOT7 did exactly what they promised. When they were going around touring they enjoyed seeing their fans and showing them how much GOT7 loves their fans. But, when they weren’t busy with anything, they would go find Tobi and her grandmother at the dance studio and walk in. They would spend four hours teaching and learning braille to Tobi.

One day, Mark came to the studio and told Tobi that they going to a fan meeting and that he has a friend who is very good with braille. Tobi was a little uncomfortable, but Mark explained to Tobi that his friend is a teacher that helps blind students learn how to read despite their condition. Tobi nodded and told him that is fine.

A couple days later, a woman walked into the studio and saw the grandmother and said, “Is Tobi home?”

The grandmother nodded and said, “Yes. Who are you?”

The woman smiled and said, “My name is Catherine. I’m a friend of Mark Tuan’s. I come from L.A. to see Tobi.”

The grandmother smiled and looked Catherine over. Catherine was a very sophisticated woman. She had neck-length brown hair, and blue eyes. Catherine was wearing a nice pink sleeveless shirt with a pink sweater. She wore black pants and had on black heels.

The grandmother walked upstairs and told Tobi to come downstairs. The grandmother came down and a few minutes later Tobi walked slowly down. Tobi stood by the stairs and Catherine looked at Tobi.

Catherine didn’t move and just said, “Hello Tobi. My name is Catherine. Catherine Tuan. I’m here to help you.”

Tobi and the grandmother looked at Catherine and the grandmother said, “Tuan? You’re related to Mark?”

Catherine laughed and said, “Oh, that’s right. Sorry, yes. I’m his cousin. I live in L.A. and I was told from Mark that he had a friend that’s here in Korea that needed help with Braille, and being that I help blind students, he figured I would be perfect.”

Catherine walked over to Tobi and touched Tobi’s hand. She felt Tobi tense up and she said, “Tobi, I won’t do anything to you. I just came over to help you walk over to the sofa so that we can get comfortable while working.”

Tobi relaxed when she felt how calm Catherine was being. Catherine walked with Tobi to a sofa that was against the wall and they sat down. Catherine explained to Tobi about Braille and how to understand how to read using Braille.

Tobi was a very fast learner and soon within seven months, she was reading Braille with Catherine. When Tobi became confident enough to read Braille, she was smiling and showing Catherine how well she was doing. Catherine was so proud of how well Tobi was doing. She wanted to do something extra special for her.

Catherine said, “Tobi, because you’ve done so well on your Braille, I want to do something extra special for you. I already talked to your grandmother about this, and she doesn’t mind.”

Tobi said, “Okay. What is it?”

Catherine shook her head and said, “Nope. I’m not going to tell you. You have to come with me.”

Tobi stood there and sighed, then she figured that Catherine wasn’t going to do anything, she took Catherine’s hand and walked to the car. Catherine got into the driver’s side and drove away from the studio. Tobi sat in the car and felt the bumps and turns that Catherine took. Soon Tobi fell asleep while Catherine was driving.

Catherine pulled up to a big dome building and Catherine got out of the car and woke Tobi up, and she got out of the car. Catherine took Tobi’s hand they walked toward the back entrance. She knocked on the door and a security guard opened it. Catherine showed him an ID, and he let them pass. Catherine gently walked with Tobi until they were behind a stage. Tobi turned her head and could hear singing going on.

Catherine smiled at Tobi’s look and they walked to where the seats were and Catherine had Tobi sit down. They waited until the singing was over, and they both clapped. Who was singing? GOT7. They were at a building and were going to be singing to a packed crowd. Their tickets had already sold out in a few hours.

GOT7 was walking around and trying to relax their breathing when they heard screaming and clapping. They looked over and saw Catherine and Tobi. Mark saw them and a big smile showed up on their faces. Mark raced off the stage and ran down the steps. He gave Catherine a big hug and then helped Tobi to stand up. He gave her a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. The other members came down and said ‘Hello’ to Catherine and gave Tobi hugs from each one of them.

Mark said, “So, Catherine why are you and Tobi here?”

Catherine smiled and said, “Well, Tobi has done so well on her Braille, that I figured it would be a good time for her to see you. I knew that you were going to be in Korea singing, so I figured that it would be nice to bring her to see you.”

Mark smiled and took Tobi’s hand and said, “I’m glad. This will make me feel even more at ease knowing that Tobi is here.”

Tobi suddenly blushed and Mark smiled at it.

Jackson spoke up and said, “Tobi, of the songs you’ve heard us sing, which one is your favorite?”

Tobi sat there and thought about it. She laughed and said, “A.”

BamBam said, “Really?”

Tobi nodded and said, “Yeah. You guys are really funny and cute dancing.”

A few hours later, their concert started, and sure enough it was a packed theatre. Tobi and Catherine stood off to the side and listened to the music. Tobi closed her eyes and listened to it and fell in love with them more and more. Finally, when they were sitting on chairs and wiping their sweat off, they decided to change a little for the show.

JB spoke up, “We decided to do this next song for a special person in our lives. We met this person last year and we grew to enjoy their company. I know that many of you have been watching the news and seeing us with a girl on our arms. It’s not that we don’t want to be around iGOT7, but this person is very close to us. Her name is Tobi and she is very special in our hearts.”

Suddenly, the whole theatre erupted into screams. GOT7 smiled and Mark said, “Tobi, ended up having to change the way her life is, due to a personal issue, and it made her unhappy. We knew that we wanted her to smile again. So, we know her favorite song is ‘A’, but we talked it over and decided to do a different song that comes from the heart, and when we sang it earlier at practice, we knew that it was the perfect song for Tobi.”

Jackson said, “Right now, Tobi is backstage, so let’s do this song.”

Suddenly, the music started to play and the audience screamed again. Tobi stood there and held Catherine’s hand as she was listening to the music. When GOT7 started to sing, tears filled Tobi’s eyes even though they were hiding behind black sunglasses. But, Catherine could feel the tension in Tobi’s grip and knew. Catherine wrapped her arms around Tobi’s shoulders and listened to GOT7 singing. What were they singing? ‘Forever Young’.

After the concert, GOT7 went backstage and gave Tobi a hug. Mark kissed Tobi on the cheek and soon the papers were showing GOT7 with Tobi walking around. Some of the responses were negative about why they were walking around with a blind girl, while others thought that GOT7 were very kind and caring with Tobi. When GOT7 would go to their fan meetings, they would get gifts from the fans, but Mark had a female fan come up and handed him a pink bag and said, “It’s for Tobi.”

Mark looked at the fan and then looked in the bag. There at the bottom was a stuffed bear. He smiled and looked at the fan and said, “She will like it. Thank you.”

Many years later, Tobi and Mark were getting closer and soon Mark came out and said that Tobi and him were dating. Again the papers were both positive and negative. But, that didn’t matter because they both liked each other.

Tobi’s grandmother had a severe heart attack that ended up costing her life, Tobi was full of depression and agony. She had no one left and GOT7 were out of the country. She didn’t want to bother them, so she stayed holed up in the studio. They didn’t know about the grandmother’s passing until they went to the studio and found it was locked and the ‘Closed’ sign showing. A friend of the grandmothers’ told them that she had passed away, and that Tobi took it hard.

Yugyeom picked the lock at the back of the store and they walked in. They walked up the stairs and into Tobi’s room. They couldn’t believe what they saw. Tobi was laying on the bed, and not moving. They noticed that she had grown thin and realized that she was starving herself.

Mark tried to get Tobi to respond to him, but she had shut everyone out. GOT7 took her to the hospital, and found out from the doctor that Tobi has completely shut out everyone. She had stopped being responsive to the medical crew.

The doctor said, “I’m sorry, but the only place that she would be able to be happy would be in a home. She can’t take care of herself, and you are busy with your singing.”

Mark said, “If we were to find out from our families if they would take her in, would her mood change?”

The doctor shrugged and said, “It depends. I don’t know how long she was depressed in her home. I did notice that she has marks on her arm, which generally means that she has tried to kill herself.”

GOT7 talked it over with their families and the one that responded the most was Mark’s family. Mark took Tobi with him back to L.A. and she met his family. Tobi wasn’t responding to them, and Mark told them to take it slow with her.

After months of being away from his home, they had the chance to see their families. Mark went back to L.A. and as he walked through the door, he stood there and couldn’t believe it. There standing looking as beautiful as ever, was Tobi. She smiled and he walked up to her and gave her a big hug and a kiss.

Mark and Tobi were happy to spend time together, even though he had to leave for a few months to a year due to the concerts, but he always made time to come home and see her. But, there have been a few times that Catherine brought Tobi to Korea to spend time with the boys.

Tobi always smiled whenever she was around GOT7. She still thinks about her grandmother, but she knew that her grandmother would be so happy to see Tobi smiling. Tobi never let the blindness get to her anymore. As long as she listened to GOT7 and thought about them.

Tobi was a happy girl. She always keeps one thing in her mind to keep her happy. What is it?

She always remembers his smile.

 

The End.

Sorry that I cut this story quickly, but I didn’t want to keep things running. So, I figured it would be good to just put a few things in there, and quickly move forward. I wanted to make sure there was a happy ending.

I hope everyone liked the story. As I said, it just jumped into my head and I wanted to write it.

Please let me know what you thought of the story and if you did like it…

Please…

 

                                                SUBSCRIBE…COMMENT…UPVOTE!!!