Tobi

Remember Your Smile

Spring was upon Korea. You can smell it in the air, and feel the warm sun on your skin. You can see people running around with shorts on, flip flops and just enjoying the sunshine and the warm breeze as it comes through the city of Seoul.

That day, seven young men were walking down the streets of Seoul. They are training to become the next big K-pop group called GOT7. The members are Jaebum Im (JB the Leader), Mark Tuan, Jackson Wang, Jinyoung Park (Junior), Youngjae Choi, Kunpimook Bhuwakul (BamBam), and Yugyeom Kim (Maknae). They were walking down the street and just enjoying their time before they lose their privacy.

As they walk down the street, they pass a building with a big square window. They don’t stop and look in, they just pass by, except for one…Mark. He stops and looks inside. There, inside was a young woman dancing. He watched as she moved with careful ease that flowed so slowly and softly. She had her eyes closed and he could imagine that she must be listening to some beautiful music to make her dance so beautifully.

Just then he felt someone next to him. He looked and his bandmates came over. Jackson said, “Mark, what are you looking at? A girl?”

Mark nodded and said, “Yeah. She is good.”

They watched outside for a few minutes of her dancing so gracefully. They soon had their focus broken by a voice next to them.

“Are you friends of Tobi?”

Mark looked at the old woman and said, “No. Who’s Tobi?”

The old woman pointed and said, “The girl in the studio. Her name is Tobi Lee. She is a dancer as you can see.”

Jackson nodded and said, “She dances so gracefully.”

The old woman nodded and said, “Yes, she does. Do you want to meet her?”

Mark blushed and shook his head saying, “Uh, no. We are actually busy. But, thank you.”

Mark pulled s and they walked away. The old woman smiled and shook her head. She opened the door and walked in. Tobi was dancing with ballet slippers on and beautiful soft music was playing. The old woman sat down in the chair and watched the girl dance. Finally the song stopped and Tobi finished her dancing. She looked and saw the old woman.

Tobi ran up and said, “Grandma, I didn’t hear you come in.”

The grandma smiled and said, “Of course not. You’re mind was drifting away with the music. You still dance so beautifully.”

Tobi blushed and said, “Thank you.”

The grandma said, “You should’ve seen, there were seven young men watching you dance outside the building.”

Tobi looked but there was no one there and she looked at the grandma and said, “Really? They didn’t want to come in?”

The grandma shook her head and said, “No. One of the boys was very interested in you, but when I asked if he wanted to meet you, he ran away with his friends. I think he was a little shy.”

Tobi laughed and said, “Well, you have a knack of making boys become shy, grandma.”

The grandma smiled and stood up. She said, “Well, have you talked to your boyfriend, Yongguk about dancing with you in the competition?”

Tobi sighed and wiped off the sweat with a towel and said, “Yongguk oppa and I aren’t together anymore.”

The grandmother’s eyes went wide and said, “What? Why? What happened?”

Tobi sighed and sat down on the chair that the grandmother had gotten up from and said, “Well, he said that because of my condition, he doesn’t want to be held down and taking care of me. He said that I should look into going into a home. Plus he’s entering in the entertainment business too.”

The grandmother sighed and put her hand on Tobi’s shoulder and said, “I’m sorry, my child. That was wrong for Yongguk to say that.”

Tobi looked up at her grandmother and said, “I know. But, who will I dance with before it happens? I want to enter the competition and dance before I can’t anymore.”

The grandmother opened , but Tobi got up and walked out. The grandmother sighed and then sat back down on the chair.

For the next two years, Tobi has went on and won many dance competitions in ballroom dancing. Tobi is considered as one of the best dancers in Seoul, Korea. Many girls from Korea want to become dancers so that they could be just like Tobi Aran. Many boys want to be Tobi’s boyfriends by she always turns them down. She is afraid of having a relationship with anyone.

Tobi and her grandmother were sitting and eating breakfast when she turned a channel and saw a music video of a boy group. They were singing and dancing. They are called GOT7. Tobi squealed when she saw the members. She especially fell for the one that does a lot of tricking, Mark Tuan. Their song ‘Girls Girls Girls’ came on and Tobi was singing along with them. Not only can she dance, but she has a talent with being able to sing songs that she hears only once and she can sing along with them. The grandmother walks in with her coffee and she sits with Tobi.

The grandmother says, “Tobi. That’s them.”

Tobi looks at the grandmother and says, “Them who?’

The grandmother smiles and points to the TV and says, “Those were the boys that stopped in front of the studio.”

Tobi blushed and looked back at the TV and said, “Oh wow. That is awesome.”

For the next few weeks, Tobi was busy dancing and trying to perfect her ballet dancing. She wants to enter another ballroom dance competition, but she still doesn’t have a partner. She knows that she has to find one soon, or she won’t be able to enter.

Tobi looks at the time and says, “Got to go, grandma. I’ll be back later.”

The grandmother smiles and says, “Okay dear. Have fun at work.”

Tobi puts on her shoes and walks out of the studio. She walks down the street and heads for the coffee shop that she works at. It’s called ‘Seoul Coffee’. She walks in and the manager greets her. She greets back and walks into the back and gets her apron on.

Within minutes she’s at many of the tables and taking their orders. She gets the orders and brings them back. The Coffee shop has been booming since Tobi started working there. Many of the patrons love the way Tobi is. Tobi always smiles and has a great personality. She lights up a room when she smiles. The patrons tell the manager good things about Tobi and it makes them want to come back to see Tobi again.

The manager smiles and watches Tobi as she takes down orders and talks with many of the patrons. One of the waitresses named So Young Nam walks over to the manager and says, “Still gawking at Tobi?”

The manager sighed and looks at So Young and says, “Oh quiet. I love having her here. I think since she’s been working here, this place has stayed in business.”

So Young sighs and says, “Yeah. Last year we were going to close.”

The manager nodded and said, “Then, Tobi came in. Suddenly all these patrons have come in and wanted our coffee.”

So Young nods and then she gasps and says, “O.M.G!”

The manager says, “What?”

So Young points and says, “Do you see? GOT7. They are coming into the shop.”

The manager rolled his eyes because of So Young is acting childish. GOT7 has always been regular customers even before they became famous. Many of the patrons turned around and greeted the boys. GOT7 smiled and bowed to them. They took a booth and sat down. So Young was ready to go over but she was stopped by the manager.

“What are you doing?”

The manager pointed and said, “Tobi is going to be their server.”

So Young said, “But, why? I wanted to talk to them.”

The manager looked at her and said, “You have 10 tables already, So Young. Not to mention, you’re not managing them. Go, take care of your patrons.”

The manager pushed So Young to do her job. Then he turned and watched as Tobi walked over to GOT7.

Tobi smiled and bowed as she said, “Hello. Welcome to Seoul Coffee. My name is Tobi. I’ll be your server today. Would you like to hear our coffee special today?”

The boys looked up and were shocked to see the dancer standing in front of them. She looked very pretty outside of the studio. They could see that Tobi had up to her shoulder black hair and brown eyes. She had a fair complexion and pink lips. She was wearing a white blouse and black skirt. JB shook his head and said, “No. We already know what we want.”

Tobi nodded and took down their orders. After that she walked away.

JB looked at the members and said, “Who would’ve thought that the dancer would be working here?”

Mark was leaning on his palm with his elbow on the table as he watched her walk around and taking orders. Mark couldn’t believe how beautiful and caring she was with the other patrons.

Jackson looked at Mark and laughed while saying, “Well I’ll be. It looks like our Mark is smitten with the dancer.”

Mark looked over at Jackson and said, “What?”

The other members laughed and JB said, “You should see your face. You were falling for her.”

Mark blushed and said, “No I wasn’t.”

Jackson said, “Yes, you were. You like her.”

Mark shrugged and said, “So what if I do. It’s not like I can go out with her. And besides, with our popularity, I wouldn’t want her to get hurt.”

Everyone stopped talking when Tobi walked over and put down their coffees. She turned and walked away. All the members watching Mark as he looked at his coffee and then they looked over to where Tobi was talking to some patrons. They laughed at Mark as they saw he kept watching her.

They continued to talk as the patrons started to leave. Soon, they were the only ones, while the manager and the other servers were busy cleaning up. Tobi walked over and wanted to know if they wanted anymore coffee. They politely declined. Tobi put the bill down and walked away.

When they were ready to leave, they got up and walked over to the cash register. The manager was standing there and said, “How was your coffees?”

JB handed him the money and said, “It was really good. Our server, Tobi, does she work every day?”

The manager looked over to where the schedules were and said, “No. She doesn’t work on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays. Why?”

JB looked at s and then at the manager and said, “Tobi was an exceptional server. We just might come back in and demand to have Tobi as our server again.”

The manager smiled and thanked them. He watched as they walked out of the shop and into the cool night air. They turned left and walked away. Tobi came out a few minutes later all ready to leave.

“Well, I’m heading off. You have a goodnight.”

The manager nodded and said, “You have a goodnight too Tobi.”

Tobi walked out of the shop and took a left and walked down the less than crowded sidewalks.

Tobi put in her headphones attached to her iPod and her music. K-pop started to play in her headphones. She walked past the park and heading for home. She didn’t even see the huge amount of girls screaming as GOT7 were standing there and giving autographs. They had their backs to the sidewalk.

Tobi walked back to the dance studio and unlocked the door. She locked it back up and took the stairs. Tobi and her grandmother lived upstairs over the dance studio. The grandmother had already gone to bed, as Tobi walked to her bedroom that overlooked the street, and she turned the light on. She laid down on the bed and looked up at the ceiling. Cracks were starting to form on the ceiling due to age. Tobi looked over and saw a calendar. She stood up and walked over. She looked at the dates. Her eye fell on an eye doctor appointment she has for the next day. Tobi dreaded seeing the eye doctor, she knows the eye doctor can’t do anything for her.

Tobi sits back down on the bed and looks over at a picture of some people. They were her parents and an older and younger brother. Her family died in car accident because of a drunk driver. Tobi was only 12 when it happened. Her grandmother took her in after the accident. Tobi hardly ever talks about it, but she feels sad when she sees people with their family together, though she never shows it. She’s learned to hide her emotions.

Tobi sighed and turned off the light and fell asleep.

The next morning was Thursday. The grandmother and Tobi drove to the eye doctor that has been seeing Tobi since the accident. They walked in and the eye doctor saw Tobi and her grandmother. They walked into the room and the eye doctor smiled at Tobi.

“How are you doing Tobi?”

Tobi nodded and said, “I’m doing fine.”

The doctor said, “How’s your eyes doing?”

Tobi shrugged and said, “They get cloudy but not much. I still get some headaches too.”

The doctor nodded and looked at her eyes. He said, “Well, they are cloudy but not much. You can still see out of them right?”

Tobi nodded and said, “Of course.”

The doctor smiled and said, “Okay. We’ll just have to keep watch over them.”

Tobi nodded and said, “Thank you.”

The grandmother said, “Tobi, why don’t you go out into the lobby. I want to talk to the doctor.”

Tobi walked out of the room and the grandmother closed the door and said, “Doctor, tell me truthfully. How much longer does she have?”

The doctor sighed and said, “She has one more year left. There’s not much I can do for her. I am sorry.”

The grandmother nodded and said, “Thank you. At least she can be happy one more time. There’s a competition coming up. I know she’ll want to enter that. Thank you.”

The doctor nodded and said, “Good luck.”

The doctor watched the grandmother and Tobi leave the office.

 

To be continued…

What did you think of it?

It’s a new story that I just put together. I hope that you like it. At least there’s a little interaction with Tobi and GOT7. Not to mention that we know something happened to Tobi.

If you like the story so far please…

                                  SUBSCRIBE…COMMENT…UPVOTE!!!