Better Place

Bittersweet and Crazy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

San Francisco, 16 years ago

“Nicholas.”

 

“Daniel.” Nicholas looked up from the pews. “Thank you for coming.” Nicholas stood up from his seat and gave his good friend a hug.

 

“My condolences to you and your family. I’m sorry it took us this long to meet again.” Daniel returned a hug with a firm embrace.

 

“Thank you. It really means alot to me and my girls.”

 

“You remember my wife Julia and my mother.”

 

“Ah, I remember,” Nicholas nodded his head in recognition.

 

“My condolences.” Julia stuck her hand out towards Nicholas. Nicholas took Julia’s hand and shook it.

 

“Yoonyoung-ah.” Mrs. Jung gave Nicholas a hug. He was like another son to her. She also lost her spouse just last year so she knew how much it hurt to lose someone you love.

 

“Thank you for coming Umma.” Nicholas returned the embrace. Mrs. Jung was like a second mother to him after his parents died during his senior year of college. The Jungs and the Hwangs were very close and despite the five years of no contact, nothing had changed. They were still family. “I’m sorry we weren’t able to make it during Appa’s--”

 

“Shhh, child it’s alright.” Mrs. Jung says. Her words were very simple, yet it struck a cord to his heart. Everything was not alright. His wife had passed away leaving him with their daughters. “You have to stay strong, for your girls.” Mrs. Jung gave a tight embrace before letting go. Nicholas tried with his might to hold back the tears that threatened to spill and averted his attention to the two young girls that stood next to Julia.

 

“These two girl must be your daughters.”

 

“Ah, Yes.” Daniel responds before turning to his daughters. “Girls insahae.”

The eldest daughter stepped forward with the youngest hiding behind her and with a soft voice the eldest greeted Nicholas with a shy bow.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. Jeoneun Jessica Jung Sooyeon-imnida.”

 

Nicholas turned to look at the younger Jung with anticipation. Jessica motioned for her sister to introduce herself,but the younger Jung hid herself behind Jessica as she gripped the sides of latter's cardigan. Both girls have always been very timid.However, Jessica always tried to be brave for the both of them in situations like this.

 

Being a good Unnie, Jessica introduced her baby sister to Nicholas. “Krystal Jung Soojung-i-e-yo.”

 

“Dae. Annyeong.” Nicholas knelt down and gave the two girls a smile. “You girls definitely take after your mother,” He says earning laughs from the adults. “Myeochsal iya?” Nicholas asked the girls how old they were.

 

“Daseos sal,” Jessica held up her hand to signify she is five years old.

 

“SooJungie neun?” Nicholas looked to Krystal and gave her a warm smile.

 

In a soft timid voice Krystal held up three fingers while hiding behind Jessica, “Se sal.”

 

“You know I have two daughters as well. They’re about the same age as you two. Miyoung and Yoona.” Nicholas says to the sisters.

“Miyoung is five just like Sooyeonie,” He says to Jessica. “ And Yoona is four. Just a year older than Soojungie.” He says to Krystal.

 

“Girls why don’t you go and meet Nicholas Samcheon’s daughters while the elders talk?” Daniel asked his daughters.

 

The Jung sisters nodded their heads and were pointed in the direction of the small room where all the children were.

 

***

 

Jessica and Krystal walked hand in hand as they entered the children’s room. The room was full of energetic children running and jumping around. There was a much different atmosphere inside the room compared to the outside.

 

Death. It’s a puzzling concept to understand and even more puzzling to explain to children. It is something no one wishes to experience. Innocence and Naiveness—the room screamed those words. The children w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter