Chapter Twenty-Four: Truly... Madly... Deeply...

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Later that night, the group decided to head back to the hotel to get some rest for their last full day in Southern California. 

 

Jon:  (plopping on the couch) I am so tired!!  I need a massage!

 

Tanya:  I didn’t know my man was a metroual. (laughing) So how long does it take for you to get ready in the morning? And don’t think you’ll get a massage from me.  I’m so tired I don’t think I can even lift my pinky.

 

Jon:  Ha! Ha! You’re so funny…You know you like what you see.  (posing like a model on the couch)  It takes work to look good like I do. 

 

Matt: Dude?! (shaking his head)

 

Gerald:  I’m not into getting all prettied up but I’m with Jon.  A massage sounds good right now.  Would anyone like to volunteer? (wiggling his eyebrows at Kim.)

 

Kim: Babe, I love you but I don’t think I could move right now.  (Kim froze.  Thought-! Did I just say I love you? Crap! Crap! Crap! Now what? Should I leave the room?  Kim, be chill.  Don’t do anything. Just be cool.)

 

Gerald froze and a huge smile slowly emerged on his face.  Gerald got up from the couch and went to where Kim was sitting.  He bent over and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.  He then reached under her and carried her in his arms towards the bedroom on the side.

 

Gerald:  Sorry guys.  I need to have a private conversation with my girl. 

 

Everyone started cheering and laughing!

 

Kim: Gerald put me down.  What are you doing? This is so embarrassing.

 

Mel: (yells) Be good Kim. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.

 

Matt: Which doesn’t really mean anything because Mel does a lot. (wiggling his eyebrows at Mel)

 

Mel:  Sira! (throws a pillow at Matt)

 

Tanya:  (laughing) That was so romantic. 

 

Jon:  You want romance.  (Comes over to Tanya and picks her up in her arms and walks her around the room)

 

Tanya:  You big oaf! Put me down! (laughing but was silence with a kiss from Jon – thought – my big oaf is a romantic)

 

Matt: I was kidding sweetie.  You know I love you.

 

Mel:  Ha! Leave me alone.  (turns her back to Matt)

 

Matt slowly turns Mel around and kisses her nose, her cheek, her forehead and then slowly leans over to kiss her lips.  Matt deepens the kiss when he notices Mel responding to him.

 

Matt: I could never leave you alone.  You are too much a part of me. I was kidding okay?

 

Mel:  (with eyes closed) Okay sweetie. 

 

In one of the bedrooms, Gerald lowers Kim on to the bed.

 

Gerald:  I’ll stand here but I want to hear what you just said back there. (smiling down at Kim)

 

Kim:  You didn’t have to carry me. (turning over and burying her head in the pillow)

 

Gerald:  It was the fastest way.  Kim, turn around.  I want to see your face.

 

Kim: (turns around and says innocently) What? Why did you bring me here?

 

Gerald:  (standing with his feet apart and his hands on his hips) I want to hear what you just said out there. Did you mean it? (silently hoping)

 

Kim:  It was an expression.  (thought - Yes I love you! I love you! I love you!)

 

Gerald:  It was an expression. (looking disappointed)

 

Kim: (thought – why does he look so dejected?) An expression.  I mean I care for you a lot but love? That’s a strong word.

 

Gerald:  You’re right.  It is a powerful word. 

 

Kim: Have you ever said it to anyone?

 

Gerald:  Have I ever said ‘I love you’ to anyone?  Hmmm… Yes, to be honest.

 

Kim: (feeling weird) Did you mean it?

 

Gerald:  No… it was another weapon in my arsenal to get what I wanted.  Just like how I used my family.  I don’t think I’ve ever been in love. (thought – until now) Have you ever fallen in love?

 

Kim: (feeling disappointment) No. I’ve had very few boyfriends.  And after that last one, I definitely did not want another one.

 

Gerald: (feeling uneasy) Then why are you with me?

 

Kim: Because… because… (thought – ! ! ! Because I love you! I can’t tell him first but I don’t want him to think I don’t.  Lord, help me through this.  Please help me say the right things!) because… I like being with you.  I enjoy being with you and I actually like you as a person. 

 

Gerald:  Are those reasons enough to be with someone?  Are those reasons enough to be with me?  (thought- why do I feel like this conversation is going sour?)

 

Kim: (nervously) Gerald, why do I feel that we are headed towards a fight between us?

 

Gerald:  I don’t know… I don’t know.  It’s weird.  I brought you here because I was so excited that you said I love you.  I wanted it to be just between us then now this weird conversation.

 

Kim:  I know… it turned weird in here.  What’s going on?

 

Gerald:  Let’s do this… let’s agree to talk it out even if it feels uncomfortable.  Let’s agree to be honest with each other and make sure that we give each other the chance to listen.  Are you up for it?

 

Kim:  It feels so weird after having such a great day with you. 

 

Gerald:  Do you want to do this now or wait?

 

Kim: I don’t want things weird between us. Let’s not wait because then I won’t know how to act with you. Is that okay?

 

Gerald:  Okay?  …. Do you have any questions for me?

 

Kim: Yes.  Why are you with me?

 

Gerald:  I told you.  You are an absolutely gorgeous woman whose soul just radiates out from you.  I feel comfortable with you like I can tell you anything and you won’t judge me.  When you’re near me, I feel like I need to be touching you all the time, whether holding your hand, giving you a hug, touching you… kissing you.  I can’t seem to get enough of you.  When we talk, I’m not bored.  We have talked about religion, politics, school, family, our past and I feel like we are not done. When I am with you, I don’t feel like there’s an end. Did I answer your question?

 

Kim: (kinikilig – thought – this guy just kills me over and over again.  I am so in love with him!)  *sighs*  Yes you did.

 

Gerald:  Any other questions?

 

Kim: Is saying I love you easy for you?

 

Gerald:  It was when it didn’t mean anything.

 

Kim: Hmmmm

 

Gerald:  Can I ask you a question?

 

Kim: Okay… (nervous)

 

Gerald:  Are you with me just because you like me and you enjoy my company?

 

Kim: (says softly) Well… not only that.  (looks at Gerald) Gerald, I love being with you.  You make me feel so special.  You make me feel like I’m the only woman in this world for you.  It scares me but more so, it humbles me, that you, this handsome, intelligent man, who could be with anyone he chooses, is interested in me.  It’s hard to believe. When we talk, I can’t get enough hearing about you and the things you have done and experienced. Sometimes, I am jealous because I wish I experienced them with you. And to be honest I love listening to your voice. 

 

Gerald: Thank you for that Kim.  I know how you feel because I feel the same way…. Kim, earlier, when you said ‘I love you’, I was so excited. I wanted you to love me.  I want you to love me.  I know it’s too early but at the same time I could hope.  As we were talking and our conversation was going weird for me, I realized that I didn’t even tell you at least what I was feeling.  So why would you tell me you love me when I haven’t said those words to you too?

 

Kim: Gerald, I don’t want you to feel like you have to say those words if you don’t mean it.  When and if you ever feel that way about me, I want you to say it when it’s right. Right for you.  Not just because you heard me say it. 

 

Gerald: I want it right for the both of us.  I want it special. When I say it, I want no doubts from you.

 

Kim: (grabs Gerald’s face and looks him in the eyes, with tears in her eyes) Gerald, thank you.  Thank you for being who you are and for being patient with me. For giving us the space to grow… and the space to find ourselves in this relationship.  Regardless of how new this relationship is. Thank you for letting me be me.  I do love you.  And it wasn’t just an expression.  I’m sorry I couldn’t repeat it. 

 

Gerald:  (his heart exploding) Kim, you have made me the happiest man.  (puts Kim on his lap) I love you too!  Truly, madly, deeply. (hugs her close)

 

Kim:  Does this feel too fast to you?  We just made it official yesterday almost at about this time.  (laughing) Happy one day anniversary!

 

Gerald:  Happy one day anniversary babe!  And no, it doesn’t feel fast because it feels right… I love you.

 

Kim: Truly, madly deeply.

 

Gerald pulls Kim closer and kisses her with a sweetness that brought tears to Kim’s eyes.