Chapter Twenty-Three: Hot Dog? Hamburger? Pizza?

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

After everyone got ready and ate breakfast, the group was ready to go.  When they arrived at Universal Studios, the line was so long to buy tickets, but they decided to wait it out since they were already there.  Once they bought their tickets, they decided to head straight to the Studio Tour ride.  They were able to see scenes from movies and TV shows such as War of the Worlds, Desperate Housewives, King Kong and Jaws. They stopped by Backdraft, Revenge of the Mummy and Jurassic Park.  They decided that since they were able to do most of the rides at Universal Studios, they decided to leave before lunch and head towards the Hollywood sign to take pictures, Rodeo Drive for some window shopping and Venice Beach for some food and fun.

 

Kim:  This is such a nice day to be here at the beach. 

 

Gerald:  Kim, what do you want to eat for lunch?  Pizza, burger, hot dog???

 

Kim:  A pizza sounds good.

 

Mel:  I think I want a burger.

 

Tanya:  A hot dog sounds good to me.

 

Guys: (laughing)  Let’s split up.

 

Matt: All our girls are wanting something different each. Let’s meet right here in about 1 hour.

 

Mel:  Does everyone have their cameras?  Don’t forget to take pictures so that we capture our day here.

 

Matt:  I love that you are our historian.  (gives her a quick kiss on the lips)

 

Tanya:  Thank goodness she’s on top of it or we wouldn’t have anything to remember this trip by.

 

Kim: I know!  Thank you Mel.  (turns to Gerald) Let’s go find our pizza babe.

 

Gerald:  Babe?  Hmmm … I think I like that.

 

Kim:  Sorry… that just came out of my mouth.

 

Gerald:  Don’t apologize babe.  I like it… plus its coming from you (pulls her into his arms)

 

Jon:  You guys keep that up, you’ll never eat.

 

Kim:  (laughing) I am hungry.

 

Gerald:  (laughing) Let me feed you first before I ravish you.  (wiggling his eyebrows) See you guys in one hour.

 

 

Kim and Gerald go searching for a pizza joint.  Matt and Mel go searching for a burger place. And Jon and Tanya found a hot dog/sausage stand.

 

Tanya:  B, isn’t it great about Gerald and Kim?

 

Jon:  Yeah.  Finally.  Like I said, I thought they were going to be ‘special friends’ forever.  It’s been just over 2 months of them since they first met.  And that may seem fast but damn those two can’t stop looking at each other.

 

Tanya:  What about us B?  Are you tired of looking at me?

 

Jon:  (turns Tanya around) B, I don’t think so.  Do you remember when I approached you and Kim to attend the Filipino club meeting last year?  You are what caught my eye.  Don’t get me wrong, Kim is pretty too, but you move mountains for me, my love.

 

Tanya:  You’re not bad either B. (tiptoes to give him a kiss)

 

Jon: I love you B. 

 

Tanya:  I love you too B.  Come on and feed me before I pass out.

 

 

Where Mel & Matt are…

 

Mel: Sweetie, are you okay if we eat burgers?

 

Matt: Definitely, come on.  Anything for you …

 

After Matt and Mel eat lunch, they walk Venice Beach and browse among the performers and shops along the sidewalk.  They head towards the water and sit on the sand.

 

Mel:  Isn’t this a great day, sweetie?

 

Matt:  This has been a great vacation and we are not even done yet.  Are you having fun, sweetie?

 

Mel:  Definitely.  Like I said, I get to spend it with my love.

 

Matt:  I am your love, aren’t I sweetie?

 

Mel:  You are definitely my love.  Can you believe it’s almost 3 years that we have been together?

 

Matt:  I know sweetie. It’s been great, right?

 

Mel:  Yes it has been.  Why?  Do you have doubts?

 

Matt: No doubts just hopes.

 

Mel:  Hopes?  Hopes for what?

 

Matt: I hope that we grow old together.  I hope to have children with you.  I hope that we will continue to build what we have.

 

Mel:  (looks at Matt and whispers softly) I have the same hopes.

 

Matt: (looks at Mel) Mahal na mahal kita. (bends down to give her a kiss)

 

Mel: I love you too. (whispers against his lips)

 

 

Where Kim and Gerald are…

 

Kim:  Thanks for lunch Gerald.  You should have let me pay you know.

 

Gerald:  We had this conversation before.  Déjà vu.

 

Kim: Funny mister.

 

Gerald:  Seriously, we did have this conversation before.  I think I said something about being a gentleman.  You said something about being a woman in the 21st century which I totally support and have no problems with.  But, I want to be able to pamper my woman however way I could.  So let me please?

 

Kim:  (thought-Gerald – you are too much! How did I get so lucky?) *sighs* Your woman? I guess I am now, huh?

 

Gerald: (faces her and smiles down at her) Definitely my woman.  And don’t look so sad about it. (laughing)

 

Kim: Believe me Gerald, I am definitely not sad about it.  I ‘m more surprised than anything. 

 

Gerald:  Why are you surprised? 

 

Kim:  Who would have thought we would end up together?  How did you end up interested in me?

 

Gerald:  I was thinking the same thing about you.  How did I get so lucky?

 

Kim: Come on… you… my palakero of the century.

 

Gerald:  You know I’m not proud of what I was.

 

Kim:  I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean it that way.  I’m just surprised that we’re together when you could be with anyone you want to be with.  Come on, Nina is drop dead gorgeous.  I can give her that at least.  Why aren’t you with her?

 

Gerald: (raising his left eyebrow) Are you jealous?

 

Kim:  No I’m not jealous (under her breath) Maybe a little bit.

 

Gerald:  What did you say? (smiling at her suspiciously) hmmmm….. Anyways, Kim, you are much more beautiful than her. Than the girls I have met in my past.   You caught my eye with your beauty.  I won’t lie, Nina is beautiful.  You are beautiful too but what makes you stand out above the rest is that your soul just radiates out of you.  I know that you care about your friends, your family.  I know school is important for you.  You are intelligent and humble.  And most importantly, God is huge part of your life.  So how can I not want to be with you and only you?  Like I said I want you to understand and hopefully trust in that.

 

Kim:  (overwhelmed) Gerald, I….

 

Gerald:  You don’t have to say anything babe.  Just be with me.  (holds her hand and kisses it) Want to go exploring some more?

 

Kim:  Definitely! (turns towards Gerald and gives him a big hug) Come on my man, let’s go explore some more. 

 

Kim and Gerald go exploring in Venice Beach:  watching the muscle men in Speedos and gold chains weight lift, street performers demonstrating their talent and browsing through artists’ paintings. The hour was almost over right as the sun was about to set on the horizon.  They head towards the water to watch the sun set against the golden streaked sky in quiet comfort.  They met up with Matt & Mel and Tanya & Jon and head back towards Universal CityWalk.  Everyone was in a great mood but still in their own couple worlds after such a great afternoon on the beach.