Chapter One Hundred Twenty: Closure

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

After Matt, Mel, Tanya and Jon returned to California, Gerald and Kim settled back into their routine and returned to work. The following week, Gerald’s parents came for a visit.  Kim was so excited to see them once again since the last time she saw them was when she left Gerald in Missouri after the whole fiasco with that one chick. Kim was the one who picked up Gerald’s parents from the airport though she didn’t need to. Gerald unfortunately had a meeting that he couldn’t get out of. He was scheduled to visit one of their other hotels in Spain that was having issues with their customer service based on some clients’ feedback.

At Charles de Gaulle airport…

Kim: Tita! Tito! 

Mrs. Anderson: Iha!!! You’re here! We weren’t expecting anyone to come meet us at the airport. What a wonderful surprise! (gives Kim a hug and kiss on both cheeks)

Mr. Anderson: Kim! (pulls Kim into a bear hug)

Kim: I’ve missed you guys and have been excited for your visit! I wasn’t going to wait at the hotel. (tearing)

Mrs. Anderson: Is Gerger with you?

Mr. Anderson: Yes. Where is my son?

Kim: Unfortunately, he couldn’t get out of a meeting regarding one of the hotels in Spain. But he said that he would meet us for a late lunch/early dinner.

Mr. Anderson: Aaahhh. The hotel in Barcelona is slipping a little bit. I was telling Gerald to bring you and Karen with him when he visits.

Kim: Oh. It hasn’t come up yet.

Mr. Anderson: It probably will after this meeting.

Mrs. Anderson: Enough talk about work. I know the two of you still email.  I miss my Kim so can we catch up with her first?

Kim: (smiling at the both of them) Well, let’s go. Partons! The car is this way.

Mrs. Anderson: I can hear that someone is picking up some French.

Kim: Je parle un peu francais. Votre fils a été un bon précepteur.

Mr. Anderson: Now I am really impressed. I think my French is very rusty. But if I understand correctly, my son has been tutoring you.

Kim: Oui. C’est exact.

Mrs. Anderson: I love this. We have a French tour guide.

Kim: Okay, maybe I can’t do the in depth stuff but I can help you barter a great price for tomatoes.

Mrs. Anderson: (laughing) An important skill.

Kim: Gerald and I were wondering if you would like to stay with us at the apartment. You don’t have to answer right now. Just think about it. … So what are your plans while you are here in Paris?

Mrs. Anderson: We are going shopping, that’s for sure.

Mr. Anderson: We are just here a week so that I can touch bases with our department heads here in Europe.

Kim: Sounds wonderful. If I am correct, Jeremy is expected also.

Mr. Anderson: He might already be here. I’m not sure. I don’t meet with him until the day after tomorrow.

Kim: It is absolutely wonderful to see the two of you.

Mrs. Anderson: To be honest iha, we were worried that we wouldn’t see you again. We loved that you kept in contact with us but we also knew that you and Gerald had not reconciled.

Mr. Anderson: That whole situation was a nightmare. Did Gerald give you the update on what happened after his test results came back?

Kim: Actually, no. We never talked about it again. I just needed to find a way to erase the memory of seeing Gerald with another girl. So what happened?

Mr. Anderson: So you know that they found traces of GHB, Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid, in his blood.  The detectives immediately got a subpoena to go through the girl’s home and car. They found other drugs in addition to GHB in her position. They arrested her the very next day after you left. She was charged and will be convicted. She’s out on bail right now. The parents are so embarrassed because they are held in high regard in our community. The parents are also close friends of ours but we haven’t talked since the situation. Our attorneys are on top of the case.

Kim: Hmmmm…I don’t know what to feel for this girl. Should I feel sorry for her and hope that she mends her ways? To be honest I am mad that she chose to mess with Gerald.  He could have died.  I feel guilty for not being there for Gerald when all that happened. I’m very sorry Tito and Tita.

Mrs. Anderson: Iha, we understand. You saw things no woman wants to see their man doing with another woman.

Kim: Yes but even after I knew he was slipped the drug, I still couldn’t face him. In my head, it made sense but my heart could not forget what I saw. One thing is for sure. I could not stop loving Gerald no matter how hard I tried.

Mrs. Anderson: Well… we are happy both of you have reconciled and all is well. All is well, right?

Kim: All is very well, Tita. And we both couldn’t be more happier. I think Tito also had a hand in this considering we are spending our summer in Paris. Hmmm… Tito? (smiling)Being here has allowed us to strengthen what we have together. I think both of us have been able to heal here. It's been amazing. So Tito, thank you! And now to change the subject to much more happier news – Tanya and Jon got engaged about 3 weeks ago on the day they first arrived here in Paris. We took them to the Eiffel Tower and Jon proposed there. Isn’t that wonderful news?!

Mrs. Anderson: That is wonderful news!! And how romantic! Have they set a date?

Kim: No not yet but I think once Tanya graduates by next June, Jon would like to have their wedding next summer.

Mr. Anderson: Sounds to me that you guys had a great time when your friends came and visited.

Kim: Yes, we did. Gerald even took us to the French Riviera. It was amazing.

Mr. Anderson: You know, honey, we haven’t been out there in such a long time. We should go again.

Mrs. Anderson: All this talk about weddings and you and Gerald getting back together. I think it has brought out the romantic in my husband.

Kim: (laughing) Who can’t think of romance when you are here in Paris?! Bienvenue a Paris!

They arrived at the hotel amidst laughs and constant conversation just in time Gerald met them in the lobby to give his parents a proper welcome. His parents decided to stay in the hotel to make it more convenient for his dad since he had so many meetings to attend. They did promise to have dinner at their place before they left. While Gerald’s parents got settled in, Kim and Gerald returned to their offices to check in and finish up some of the work that needed their attention. They later had dinner with Gerald’s parents and had a great time.

Over the next week, Kim spent time with Gerald’s mom, keeping her company while Gerald’s dad was in meetings. They would meet at lunch time and spend the afternoons together, shopping, site seeing and talking at one of the local cafes. Gerald’s parents also came over to have dinner at Kim and Gerald’s apartment and fell in love with their view of St. Eustache church. Eventually, Gerald’s parents had to return to New York however they both had a wonderful time visiting with them especially Mrs. Anderson with Kim. Mr. Anderson was even more pleased with the return of their evening business sessions. All in all, the family had a great time reuniting and seeing that all was well with Kim and Gerald.

The remainder of the summer was uneventful yet eventful at the same time.  Kim and Gerald would continue to go on many adventures throughout Paris and other parts of France. They never really went out of the country however Gerald did end up going to Spain to visit their Barcelona hotel. However, since it was such a quick trip, Kim didn’t join him. Gerald only left for the day for Barcelona, along with Karen. By dinner time, Gerald was back at the apartment in time to have dinner with Kim.

The end of the summer was creeping up on Kim and Gerald and it was time to pack their belongings to head back to California to start up school again.

Kim: Babe… I can’t believe we are already leaving Paris.

Gerald: I know. I loved it here. Want to move back here after school?

Kim: Let’s see what happens with grad school but maybe. (smiling at him)

Gerald: Maybe we can go to grad school out here.

Kim: Now that’s an idea.

Gerald: Just an option. I’ll look into it.

Kim: You’re serious?!

Gerald: Why not? Were you kidding?

Kim: I don’t know. What about our families? I mean you’re family can come out anytime but mine can’t. I also would have to look into scholarships to help with tuition.

Gerald: We can always fly your family out. And don't worry about scholarships. You can apply for some but if there is none, we'll find a way.

Kim: I don’t know… let me think about it. I’m changing topics so I can shelf that thought for a moment.  You should have seen the look on Karen’s face when they promoted her. It was priceless. I’m glad I stayed back when the two of you went to Barcelona.  I helped Jeremy set the stage for her promotion. When she came into the office the next day, it was so funny because Jeremy was acting all serious with her that Karen was so worried.  She went into the conference room when Jeremy said that he needed to meet with her.  She began to wonder why all of us were in there with Jeremy with a straight face. When Jeremy started talking, he sounded so stern and serious. Then he made the announcement that she was promoting her to Customer Relations Director, European region.  She didn’t understand at first and then she looked shocked. I was so happy for her. I know she was trying hard not to cry. Shoot! I was trying hard not to cry.

Gerald: She deserves it. She’s going places in this company.

Kim: I totally agree.  Okay, I’m done packing my stuff. Do you need help?

Gerald: Do you mind? I’m down to the last drawer of clothes. Can you grab them over there?

Kim: (stands up) Did you leave clothes out for when we leave?

Gerald: Yes.

Kim: You know what I forgot to tell you about?

Gerald: What’s that babe? 

Kim: When I went to go pick up your parents from the airport, your dad gave me an update on what happened with that girl from your birthday party.

Gerald: We don’t need to talk about it.

Kim: I think we do because we never discussed in detail about what happened. Let’s close it babe though I know it’s over and we’re good, but the case is still pending. I just want us on the same page, no surprises. I’m sure if this goes to trial, you will have to testify. You never know.

Gerald: You’re right. You first told me that you were sad and really trying to get rid of the image of what happened. I didn’t want to talk about it because I didn’t want to remember that moment. I wanted you to remember everything good about us.

Kim: Babe, I think we made many memories that are much stronger than the image from your birthday party. My mind has released that but more important my heart loves you deeply babe. It’s okay.  We need to work through this together and we have but we failed to talk about what happened.

Gerald: Are you sure? Are you ready to talk about this?

Kim: Yes.

Gerald: Okay.

Kim: So… dad told me that the next day after I left, the police went to the girl’s house and searched it and her car.  He said they found drugs, including the drug she slipped into your drink. She is out on bail right now and the trial hasn’t come up yet. Your dad said your lawyers are on top of the case.

Gerald: Yes. That’s what I know too. (silence)  … Babe, what happened that night?  I mean I know Matt told me but I guess I want to hear what you saw.

Kim: What was the last thing you remember?

Gerald: I remember giving my thank you speech after blowing out my candles. I remember jumping off the stage and joining you and our friends. I remember us dancing for awhile and then you went to go take a break because of your feet. I went to go get some OJ at the bar and that’s it. Then I remember seeing your face, looking so hurt and you running away. That face haunted me. Then, that’s it. I woke up the next morning in my bed at the house but you weren’t there. I had the biggest headache that morning.

Kim: You know. You did have a great birthday bash.  The band and DJ were awesome. The casino theme was a hit and  a lot of fun. The food was so delicious. People were having such a great time. Even us until that moment.

Gerald: Where did you go when you went to rest your feet?

Kim: I was at the lounge area of the party with Tanya and Mel. We were just talking. Mel and Tanya were commenting how they were noticing how the girls were trying to get your attention.  Mel mentioned that girl particularly.  I told them that I trusted you but then I realized I didn't trust the girls. So we then decided to see where you were.  Tanya thought maybe you might be getting drunk. Mel noticed people were passing you drinks, left and right. I said that knowing you, you were dumping the drinks in the potted plants. (They both smile at each other.) When we returned to where the dancing was going on, we couldn’t find you. We then found Matt and Jon at the bar and they started to help us look for you. Me and the girls headed outside and searched the tennis courts first then when we went to the other side of the building. We then heard noises coming from the swimming pool. And when we got closer, we all saw you in the pool with the girl. You were settled on the side and she was frolicking around you. Mel went to go get Matt. By the time, they all came back – Matt, Mel, Jon, Fred, Jamila – that girl was leading you to one of the chaises. Mind you, you were in your boxers and she was in a thong and that was it. You guys started making out heavily on the chaise – she pushed you down on the chaise and got on top of you. Matt went to the pool, picking up a bucket on the way and dumped water on the two of you. That’s when you looked up and saw me. I left.

Gerald: Babe… I’m so sorry. (pulls Kim into a hug)

Kim: So am I baby. (buries her face in his neck as tears ran down her face)

Gerald: My past caught up to me.

Kim: I don’t think so babe. I've thought about this a lot. I think this girl just wanted you and she was willing to do whatever it took to have you. To be honest, I almost feel sorry for her. But the operative word is ‘almost’.  She could have hurt you real bad. I'm surprised I didn't hurt her real bad. I guess after I left, you tried to chase after me but Matt reminded you that you were pretty much . By the time you reached the front of the country club, you passed out. They took you to the hospital.

Gerald: I’m glad that Matt and Fred knew what to do.

Kim: Me too. I’m really sorry babe for leaving you. I know you needed me but I couldn’t stay.

Gerald: Don’t apologize. I don’t think I could have survived if I saw with another guy in a situation like that. I think I would see red and go ballistic.

Kim: (smiling up at him as he wiped her tears away)  So now that we’ve talked, are we good? We don’t know what’s going to happen with that girl. But things are getting taken care of. And we are making many wonderful memories to replace the one bad apple in the barrel.

Gerald: You know, being in Paris was a great idea. What better place is there to heal a love?

Kim: It has been perfect babe. I’m sad we are leaving but I know we will return.

Gerald: You know babe, you are right. We might have to relive that night once again if the case goes to trial and the attorneys feel I need to be there.

Kim: No worries baby. We’ll be there together to support each other.

Gerald: I love you baby.

Kim: I love you too. So, shall we finish packing?

Gerald: Yeah, I think I just have the last drawer over there to pack.

Kim: (goes over to the Gerald’s dresser, opens the drawer and finds a box inside) Babe? What is this?

Gerald: (lays down on the bed and watches Kim) It’s for you.

Kim: (smiling over at him) For what?

Gerald: For you. No reason. For Paris.

Kim: (opens the box and brings out a snow globe with the Eiffel Tower inside. Kim begins to tear.) Babe… It’s beautiful.  Baby. (goes over and kisses Gerald) Thank you! It’s absolutely perfect.

Gerald: I’m glad you like it but there’s more.

Kim digs into the box and finds an Eiffel Tower charm to add to her Tiffany bracelet.

Kim: Babe!!

Gerald: I wanted to add to your charm bracelet.

Kim went over to where Gerald was propped on his elbow on the bed and hugs him.

Gerald: Do you like?

Kim: I love! But do you know what I love most?

Gerald: Hmmm… what’s that?

Kim: I love that all these memories on my charm bracelet have been with you.  Babe, so many things have changed in my life since you have been a part of it. All for the better. I love you for everything you have shared with me. I love you for everything you have done for me. I love you even more for letting be who I am. I love you for just being who you are. This wonderful, handsome, hot, generous, loving, sweet, charming, confident, athletic, intelligent, amazing love of mine.

Gerald: If you keep going, my head might get too big.

Kim: It’s true though babe. Mahal na mahal kita – SOBRA!

Gerald: Je t’adore beaucoup mon belle! Tu es ma vie!

Gerald kisses Kim with such a sweetness that brought more tears to both their eyes.