Chapter Seventy-Eight: Realization

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Gerald sat in silence for the longest time trying to erase the images of James and Kim kissing. Nothing worked. He thought Kim loved him.  He felt so deceived. It didn’t make sense in his mind that Kim would ever cheat on him but then again he saw what he saw.

Gerald: (talking to himself)  What am I going to do? How could she do this to me?

The intercom system in his room buzzed. Gerald pushed the intercom button.

Gerald: Yes.

Mr. Anderson: Gerald. Good you are home. I need to talk to you.  Come downstairs to my office.

Gerald: Dad, can this wait?  I’m tired. And I just got home.

Mr. Anderson: Unfortunately, it can’t wait. Sorry son.

Gerald: I’ll be right down.

Gerald went back downstairs to his father’s office.

Gerald: Hi dad.  What is this about?

Mr. Anderson: I wanted to check with you to see how is Kim doing?

Gerald: Didn’t you see her earlier at dinner?

Mr. Anderson: She didn’t come down to eat dinner. We haven’t seen her all day. Do you know what is going on at the office?

Gerald: What do you mean? Is there something wrong?

Mr. Anderson: Have you not talked to Kim today?

Gerald: To be honest, I haven’t talked to her since last night.

Mr. Anderson: Is something wrong son?

Gerald: Nothing dad.

Mr. Anderson: Are you sure?

Gerald: It’s something I have to work out with Kim.

Mr. Anderson: Are you guys fighting?

Gerald: Not necessarily.

Mr. Anderson: Well, if you don’t want to talk about it… I’m here when you are ready to.

Gerald: So what is going on in the office?

Mr. Anderson: Jeremy called me just recently. He informed me that here is ual harassment investigation that is being conducted.  Kim is involved.

Gerald:  Why is Kim involved?

Mr. Anderson: One of her coworkers has been making advances at her.  She has been fighting those advances pretty much since she started working at Andersons.  Last night, the guy was more aggressive with his advances and kissed her last night after work without Kim’s consent.  Kim pushed him and slapped him hard last night. Kim told Karen and Erika about the incident last night and then spoke to Jeremy this morning. It is being treated as a ual harassment case.

Gerald: !!! (rubs his hands in his hair)

Mr. Anderson: Gerald?

Gerald: Dad… I screwed up.

Mr. Anderson: What do you mean? Is this why you and Kim haven’t talked since last night?

Gerald: Yes.  I saw James and Kim kissing last night.  I must have turned my head away when Kim shoved him and slapped him.  I didn’t believe her. I was so mad at her. I just thought she was cheating on me.  She always left the office the same time as him. They were always talking.

Mr. Anderson: Did you really think that Kim would do that to you?

Gerald: I saw it with my own eyes.

Mr. Anderson: But you didn’t give her a chance to explain, did you?

Gerald: No. I didn’t give her a chance. (drops his head between his hands)

Mr. Anderson: Don’t you trust her?

Gerald: I do trust her but I couldn’t erase the image of James and her kissing.  !  How am I going to fix this?

Mr. Anderson: On your hands and knees son.  On your hands and knees. But before you beg for forgiveness, we need to discuss James.

Gerald: I’m going to kick his ! !

Mr. Anderson: Well… that was my initial reaction. However, I wanted to check in with you because HR is involved and taking care of the situation. And I wanted to make sure that you stay out of it as well.

Gerald: I can’t do anything about this?

Mr. Anderson: No and you need to stay out of it or else we are going to be in a bigger heap of trouble.  But I do have an idea. It’s dramatic but I am wanting to be a little vengeful. No one messes with what is mine.

Gerald: (smiling) What do you have in mind?

Mr. Anderson and Gerald began plotting their plan....