Sleepless night

See you again

Yesterday was a pretty hard day for Jihoon. He tried to forget everything that was said. He had never let the old man get to him, but what he said yesterday had taken a toll on him. Jihoon tried to console himself.’ It’s not true. Seungcheol loves me and I love him. I can’t be bringing him down.’ Those were the thoughts that plagued Jihoon’s mind, but they didn’t help. He could barely sleep last night, he spent most of the night in tears. Those harmful words played over and over in his mind like a broken record. He slept for what seemed like an hour, until he realized that was about as much sleep he would get that night. He stayed awake all night looking at the ceiling in front of him. Was Mr. Choi telling the truth? There was only one way to figure out, he had to check the lease of the apartment. If what the old man was saying about the lease was true, and Seungcheol was actually maintaining Jihoon, then that would mean that the rest would be true also. It’s not that Jihoon cares about money, it’s just he doesn’t like to be a burden. Seungcheol’s a kind person, a gentle soul, but he has plenty of money and Jihoon is broke. He loves Seungcheol for who he is and not the money he has.And even if Seungcheol was on the same financial boat as Jihoon, Jihoon would still love him dearly. The thing is, when Jihoon agreed to move in with Seungcheol, Jihoon made it clear that he would pay his half of the rent and expenses.

Jihoon walks over to the drawer near the bed as he looks through the various files that Seungcheol has yet to clean out. He looks for a good thirty minutes before he finally finds the lease statement all the way at the bottom. Jihoon’s heart started to beat furiously, he desperately hopes that Mr. Choi was wrong about this, but even Jihoon found it hard to believe that such a nice apartment could be so cheap. He scanned the block letters as he finally came to the last line where the price was located. Jihoon’s eyes practically popped out of his eye sockets. This apartment cost more than Jihoon had every made in his entire time working at the store. Seungcheol was practically paying for everything.

Mr. Choi was right.

Jihoon slowly dropped the paper on his lap. Mr. Choi was dead on right. If this was true then the rest had to be true as well, right? Jihoon slowly stood up. He wasn’t even paying for a portion of the rent. He was practically taking advantage of Seungcheol’s kindness. Even if he wasn’t aware of it, he felt as if that was true. He couldn’t speak to Seungcheol about it since he phone was confiscated, so he was alone. What is he going to do?


The first week went agonizingly slow. Jihoon refused to sleep on the bed because that wasn’t his bed, that was the bed that Seungcheol had paid for.  He couldn’t eat because that was the food that Seungcheol bought. The only thing that Jihoon could eat was the fruits that he had bought a while ago at the farmers market. Only his clothes, phone, and school supplies truly belonged to him. The rest was all Seungcheol’s. He couldn’t use any of it. The only thing he could do was take money out of his wallet for whatever he used that belonged to Seungcheol. If he used the restroom, he would set money aside to leave for Seungcheol to pick up. If he used the shower, the same would be done for that. Every time he used the running water in the apartment, it would be another twenty or so dollars taken out of his wallet.

 The week was almost over and he couldn’t take it any longer. He felt guilty. How could he not see that he was a financial burden on Seungcheol? How could he be so naïve? Jihoon started to remember things he hadn’t before. Seungcheol said he wanted to start his own family. He wanted children, which Jihoon could not give to him. He was truly useless to Seungcheol.

It was Friday and Jihoon was sitting on the floor. Jihoon was about to sleep on the floor when he heard a knock on the door. He wondered who it could be that was at his- no, at Seungcheol’s door. He got up and made his way to open the door. It was Soonyoung and Hansol.

“Hey Ji- holy ,” said Soonyoung as he looked at Jihoon. “Jihoon, you look like shi-” he wasn’t able to finish his sentence because Hansol had stomped at his foot.

“Jihoon, what’s wrong?” asks Hansol as Jihoon wills himself not to cry. “Nothing,” says Jihoon as he tries not to tear up.

“That’s bull, what’s wrong?” says Soonyoung as he and Hansol walk into the apartment. Jihoon closes the door behind him as he slowly starts to crumble and tears start to fall. Soonyoung and Hansol share worried looks as they both start to walk Jihoon to the couch.

“No, I can’t,” says Jihoon as he refuses to sit on the couch.

“What?”

“I can’t sit there.”

“Why not?”

“Because it doesn’t belong to me,” says Jihoon. It takes him a while to finally tell them what happened, but when he does, both Hansol and Soonyoung are both fuming.

“The nerve of that guy!” says Soonyoung as he practically shouts.

“It’s not true Jihoon. How can you believe him?” says Hansol.

“No, it’s true. I’ve looked into it, everything he said was true.”

“Seungcheol loves you. If he lied to you, it was probably because he didn’t want you to see your financial situation as a problem in your relationship,” says Soonyoung. They both go back and forth with their arguments but Jihoon doesn’t change his mind. He’s been thinking about this all week. Seungcheol needs someone who he can be seen in public with, not someone who can only show him affection in private.

“No, Seungcheol can’t be taken seriously if they see he’s with me. The board wants him to marry a pretty lady who can give him a family. I can’t do that.”

“But-”

“No, I’ve made up my mind,” says Jihoon as he interrupts Hansol.

“I can’t stay here anymore, I just can’t.”

“Jihoon chill out” says Hansol.

“Even if he was right, which he’s not. But if he was, where will you go? You’re almost finished with your college degree. Jihoon you have no family members alive anymore.”

“I’ve been thinking about that. My school has a study abroad program in America. I was thi-“

“You can’t just leave to another country. That’s’ insa-“

“No, you don’t understand, I have to do this. I can’t stay here. Seungcheol will find me. He’ll look for me here. If I go far away then-“

“What’s going to stop us from telling him you’re over there,” says Soonyoung.

“You can’t. Please, I’m begging you. This is between me and his dad.”

“But doesn’t Seungcheol have a say in this?”

“It’s for his own good. Please, you can’t tell him.”

Both Soonyoung and Hansol stay quiet for a moment. This is a lot to handle. They were aware of the tension between Mr. Choi and Jihoon, but they never knew it would lead to this. But Jihoon was right, he needed to go, they couldn’t stop him. He was their friend and he needed their support.

“When will you go?” asks Soonyoung as he starts tearing up. Jihoon was his dear friend. He couldn’t bear his friends leaving him.

“Tomorr-”

“Tomorrow! That’s too soon.” Hansol interjects.

“I’ve already applied to the program. I’m starting next year, but I have to leave now so I can find a job and a place to sta-”

“Wait,” Hansol interjects.

“If you’re really leaving then at least let us help you,” says Hansol.

“With what?” Jihoon asks.

“I have a cousin in LA. His name is Jisoo. He can help you, he owes me one. Let me call him,” says Hansol as Jihoon thinks it through. It would be tough finding a job over there and he does need the help. After a few minutes, he finally relents.

“Okay,” he says as Hansol pulls out his phone. He goes out to the porch as he calls Jisoo while Soonyoung and Jihoon wait inside.

“So, will you leave forever,” says Soonyoung.

“I dunno,” says Jihoon as he hugs Soonyoung tightly. Hansol walks back into the room as he puts his phone away.

“Okay, he says he has an apartment and he’s looking for a roommate. He works at a small open mic café where he can get you a job. You can live with him and work with him too. I trust him, so you’ll be okay,” says Hansol as he looks like he wants to cry too. Jihoon walks over to him and gives him a tight hug.

“He says to give him two days, two days only and you can go fly over there on Saturday,” Hansol says as Jihoon nods.

“Wait, what will we tell the others?”

that was right. He still had to say goodbye to the rest of his friends. It’s cruel what he’s doing. He’s telling all his friends, but not Seungcheol. But it’s for his own good.

“I guess I’ll have to tell them,” he says.

“But not here, I can’t stay here anymore,” says Jihoon. Soonyoung offers Jihoon to stay at his place and have a group meeting there. Jihoon accepts and they help him pack his belongings, which are his clothes and his tooth brush. They give him a minute to have a final look before they leave for good.

They’re all in the car as calls are being made and within a few hours, everyone is at Soonyoung’s apartment and they have been caught up with the situation. As expected, the room is filled with outrage and angry protests. But Jihoon has decided already, and they can’t do a thing to convince them otherwise.

“You must promise not to utter a word about me. If he asks, you will say you don’t know where I am,” he says as the others agree hesitantly. Dino’s already bawling and the rest are trying their hardest not to cry.

“I’ll be leaving in two days, but its best if we say goodbye now,” says Jihoon as he gives his farewell to his friends.


The day of departure has come and Jihoon’s heart feels really heavy. He’s said goodbye to his friends. Soonyoung and Hansol are particularly hesitant to let him go.

“Are you sure you want to go? It’s not too late to cancel,” says Hansol.

“Yes, I’m sure. I should go now or I’ll be late,” he says as he gives one last hug to both Soonyoung and Hansol. The taxi arrives and they say their final goodbyes as he climbs onto the car.  He gives his two friends a sad smile as he turns around to look in front of him. As he feels around his pockets for his passport, he realizes that he does not have it.

“Um, we need to stop somewhere before we go to the airport,” says Jihoon as they make a turn to go to the apartment.

 “I won’t be long,” says Jihoon once they get to the apartment and he climbs out of the car and into the apartment. Jihoon ascends the stairs to what used to be his home.

“Ah there you are.” It’s Mr. Choi and he’s standing by the door.

“I was wondering whether you already left. By the looks of it, it seems you will,” he says as Jihoon walks past him and enters the apartment. He quickly grabs his passport by the counter as he walks back outside to where Mr. Choi is watching him.

“You seem to be smart after all,” said Mr. Choi as he started to take out an envelope in his pocket.

“Here,” he says as he hands it over to Jihoon.

“It’s enough money to get you going until you find a job at where ever it is you're going,” he says as Jihoon retracts from him.

“I don’t want your money,” says Jihoon as he descends down the stairs. He brushes the tears from his face as he spots the car waiting for him. The ride to the airport is long and depressing. There’s an ache in his heart and he can’t control it. He’s doing this for a good reason, so he shouldn’t feel like this, but he does.

“We’re here,” says the taxi driver as Jihoon steps out of the car and into the busy airport.

“Flight 243 is now boarding,” he hears the lady over the telecom say. He’s going to miss this place, but what he’ll miss the most is Seungcheol. He hopes that one day, he’ll be able to explain why he left. But right now, he has a plane to catch.

“So long Seoul, I’ll be back someday,” he says as he boards the plane to Los Angeles.